Sponsored by:

C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 PM
mickey3
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Default type r

Both are good cars.
I test drove a type R convertible before buying 2017 zo6 manual convertible.
Ask the dealer to let you keep the Jag for the weekend and then decide.
IMHO, I would pick the type R over the GS, unless I had to have a manual.
You are very fortunate to have this decision to make.

Make a great deal on the used Jag drive it for a year then get a Zo6.

Originally Posted by Sivtec
Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.
The following users liked this post:
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sivtec
Ah. So how do you like it? Any gripes? I know the C7 is a different beast than the C6, and you don't have the R badge but I'd be curious on your thoughts
biggest gripe is steering and weight. They switched to electric power steering in 2016. Ive driven a type S coupe with hydraulic andnit was fantastic. This new sytem blows and is not different than something id conpare to a luxury sedan from Mercedes or Audi. It just doesnt firm up or wiggle in my hands the way i want it to. The C6 Z06 steering wasnt perfect either but it is noticably better for spirited driving.

on to why i got the car and gave up a sportscar legend that is Z06.

10 years on daily driving a manual takes it toll. Im not 18 anymore thats for sure lol. Need something i was comfy using more often than not. Turning radius is better, the ride, the infotainment system is great and the interior feels fresh. In other words i wanted a better daily driver without giving up what makes cars look and feel special. And the F type fit my budget and criteria for the most part

My dad has a 2016 stingray and when i drive it here and there im amazed at how viseral a sportscar is supose to be. The jag although beautiful is just pne big ***** cat cruiser 😸😹
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:18 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bradgto
I also thought of the Jag before I bought the Z06.

Went to the dealer to look at them and they never came out to help me. Helped others that pulled in after me. (I was driving my 2000 F250)

That made my mind up that I would buy the Z06 instead.

Glad the dealer helped me make the choice!! lol
Always drive to the dealer with your oldest, dirtiest car/truck. If they don't help you because they turn their noses up at what you drove in, to hell with them. They surely won't help you when you really need it.

I really dislike (using gentle, forum-happy words) salespeople who can't even afford the car you want to buy thinking they have something on you. This isn't a social climbing event, it's a business transaction. Those who don't understand that should be asking if I want fries with that.
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjolitor 68
Both great rides. I'd take an F type R & a Z06

My Shaguar is a 67 E type. Love it
No fair slipping in the trump card of the E type!

I absolutely love that car!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Just an FYI. Six speed manual is now available as a credit option on 2wd 6cyl F type.
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:29 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Always drive to the dealer with your oldest, dirtiest car/truck. If they don't help you because they turn their noses up at what you drove in, to hell with them. They surely won't help you when you really need it.
People ARE impressed by appearances...it's basic human psychology.
Appearance corresponds to power, and power usually wins.

I wear my Rolex and other baubles when I go to buy a car.
I am never disrespected and can always control the tenor of the transaction.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteriderFRC
biggest gripe is steering and weight. They switched to electric power steering in 2016. Ive driven a type S coupe with hydraulic andnit was fantastic. This new sytem blows and is not different than something id conpare to a luxury sedan from Mercedes or Audi. It just doesnt firm up or wiggle in my hands the way i want it to. The C6 Z06 steering wasnt perfect either but it is noticably better for spirited driving.

on to why i got the car and gave up a sportscar legend that is Z06.

10 years on daily driving a manual takes it toll. Im not 18 anymore thats for sure lol. Need something i was comfy using more often than not. Turning radius is better, the ride, the infotainment system is great and the interior feels fresh. In other words i wanted a better daily driver without giving up what makes cars look and feel special. And the F type fit my budget and criteria for the most part

My dad has a 2016 stingray and when i drive it here and there im amazed at how viseral a sportscar is supose to be. The jag although beautiful is just pne big ***** cat cruiser 😸😹
Yea that makes a lot of sense. I actually sat in a M4 over the weekend and I am reminded how nice that would be to DD. For me tho, in my current lifestyle, I love to drive the manual. Still need to go do some test drives now that the holidays are winding down.

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51

I really dislike (using gentle, forum-happy words) salespeople who can't even afford the car you want to buy thinking they have something on you. This isn't a social climbing event, it's a business transaction. Those who don't understand that should be asking if I want fries with that.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by hope2
Just an FYI. Six speed manual is now available as a credit option on 2wd 6cyl F type.
Wait what?? Have any more info on this? Credit option?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I think he meant the manual V6 is cheaper than the current V6 automatics, which used to be standard before the manual became available in the '16 MY.
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think he meant the manual V6 is cheaper than the current V6 automatics, which used to be standard before the manual became available in the '16 MY.
Awe. Ok. I thought there was an option to get a manual 15' option for the 2wd. I was like SIGN ME UP! lol.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

The V6 is still available in RWD, manual or auto. The V6 is also available in AWD, auto only. The V8s starting in '16 are only available as AWD, and there is no manual option.

The ZF6 manual will not handle the V8's torque. As a matter of fact, when they came out, they didn't even handle the V6's torque, and a whole bunch of the early cars suffered both pressure-plate and flywheel failure. They've upgraded the parts, and I believe that problem is behind them.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-28-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I went from a c6z06 to an R coupe (RWD). Styling is subjective but I think the Jag wins hands down. I just don't feel the c7 looks cohesive at all.

I've had mine for two years with not a single issue it's even been the the track 4 times with no overheating issues.

My two biggest issues with the car are 1. the weight. There is no reason an aluminum 2 seater should weigh close to two tons. And 2. the lack of manual. I miss driving a stick and will probably be back in a vette this year because of it.

That said the c7 is a far superior car in terms of engineering. GM has the development $$$ the JLR doesn't. A stingray would decimate an R around a track with the same driver. The c7 has a ton of tech that the Jag lacks. For example, you can't get real time tire pressure readings in the Jag while the car is moving. Bizarre for a "performance" car.

Ive spent a lot of time in the c7 and z06 and around town the performance difference is negligible. If the car isn't going to be tracked and you want something different and rarer then the Jag is the way to go...

MC
Sivtec (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBauer47
I went from a c6z06 to an R coupe (RWD). Styling is subjective but I think the Jag wins hands down. I just don't feel the c7 looks cohesive at all.

I've had mine for two years with not a single issue it's even been the the track 4 times with no overheating issues.

My two biggest issues with the car are 1. the weight. There is no reason an aluminum 2 seater should weigh close to two tons. And 2. the lack of manual. I miss driving a stick and will probably be back in a vette this year because of it.

That said the c7 is a far superior car in terms of engineering. GM has the development $$$ the JLR doesn't. A stingray would decimate an R around a track with the same driver. The c7 has a ton of tech that the Jag lacks. For example, you can't get real time tire pressure readings in the Jag while the car is moving. Bizarre for a "performance" car.

Ive spent a lot of time in the c7 and z06 and around town the performance difference is negligible. If the car isn't going to be tracked and you want something different and rarer then the Jag is the way to go...

MC
Awesome review MC! Appreciate it. Agreed on the weight and the manual. Good to get your input!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JBauer47

MC
The reasons in bold above are precisely the reasons why I let my F-Type go and I'm now in a C7 M7.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've had my 2016 F Type R convertible for almost a year. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every minute with this car. I test drove a new 2014 V8S and was impressed. Two years later I test drove the R with AWD and was impressed enough to trade my 2007 F430 for one. I will concede that the Jag is heavier, wider, and taller than the C7 but the ride and handling do not make it feel as such. The car handles like a cat on carpet. As for the C7, I bought a 2017 Z06 coupe in October. The OP can't go wrong with either decision in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tally Ho:
Sivtec (12-29-2016), sunsalem (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you decided yet?

Also, I too am in Phoenix and my husband is a Farmer's Insurance agent so if you are still bouncing the idea of a C7Z and want a quote, or want a new quote for the Jag/GS, PM me for his contact info.

I personally LOVE the F-Type R's and agree with other posters that the availability of RWD in '15 is a high selling point. Great looking cars, probably the only other car on the road that I think can match the looks with my Vette for this price range.
Sivtec (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by LDYSTIG
Have you decided yet?

Also, I too am in Phoenix and my husband is a Farmer's Insurance agent so if you are still bouncing the idea of a C7Z and want a quote, or want a new quote for the Jag/GS, PM me for his contact info.

I personally LOVE the F-Type R's and agree with other posters that the availability of RWD in '15 is a high selling point. Great looking cars, probably the only other car on the road that I think can match the looks with my Vette for this price range.
I might take you up on this. Once i get a better idea of what I am getting, I will let you know. Also got to find out what my company is bumping me to. If the price is right than the Z06 will DEF be on the table.

Appreciate the assistance! This forum continues to impress me!
LDYSTIG (12-29-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R