Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Were you too shy to ask for help? I certainly prefer that to the vultures that usually descend upon you at most dealerships.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bradgto
I also thought of the Jag before I bought the Z06.

Went to the dealer to look at them and they never came out to help me. Helped others that pulled in after me. (I was driving my 2000 F250)

That made my mind up that I would buy the Z06 instead.

Glad the dealer helped me make the choice!! lol
Ah.... This is a different perspective. That's actually good to know as well.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Were you too shy to ask for help? I certainly prefer that to the vultures that usually descend upon you at most dealerships.
I wouldn't of been to shy to ask for help if they weren't helping anyone, and everyone had to ask for help, but to base their view to talk to me or not based on my truck vs the two nice cars that pulled in after me. Totally rubbed me the wrong way.

I agree about vultures, but they were vulturing(is that a word) everyone but me..
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Seems to me that you could have quickly dispelled that perception if you had really been interested. Maybe you weren't.

Seeing a nice car drive in is nothing more than a clue that someone has a trade-in making a deal more likely, but it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes of chit-chat to get past that.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:47 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

I usually have 2 different and separate trips to dealers when buying a new car:
1) A visual walkaround and trying out the seats to confirm if I can live with the car.
2) Check online for available inventory within driving distance.

Once I decide which vehicle to buy, I go to the dealer for a particular car.
All talking to salespeople is minimized.
I usually tell them if they want a sale today to not speak unless answering a question.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM
newskatercat
Drifting

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I just test drove both the F, and F type R. R was terrific IMO! Nail it at any speed, and not lose it, plenty of power, and great sound! F not so much. Loved interior of both. Wouldn't trade my StingRay for the F, but for a great priced R, only time will tell!

The following users liked this post:
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Gary2016
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Not a GS and an R but had both back to back. love both but really completely different cars to me. You have a luxury sport convertible vs a sports car. Both have there pros and cons and to be honest you cant go wrong with either. Just my 2 cents
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:08 PM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

I had two main problems w/ the F-Type:

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

2) No manual available for the F-Type R.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.
Agreed on the exhaust note on the F-Type. Hands down the best around. I believe it is mostly programming and how a small amount of unburned fuel is detonated. I wish GM would have done that. Then no need for all this aftermarket C7 rip rear body panels off crap to install a new exhaust system.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:09 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

I briefly contemplated an F-type before buying a GS. I find that the Corvette is better looking, less boxy. The performance metrics of the GS, even compared to the "R" version, are superior due to the above mentioned weight savings.

Cost is a factor, the R trim is about 30k more, not to mention maintenance. The last nail in the coffin for me was location; the nearest dealerships are about 45min. to an hour's drive; the closest Chevy dealership is only 15 minutes away.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:22 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.
This is a VERY good reason to nab a 15'. I agree with Foosh that this spec difference alone will end up making this car very desirable/collectible in the future.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:41 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I love the exterior look of the jaguar. Really well done styling but driving that car was such a snooze ...I thought I was driving a nice BMW sports sedan....with a sexy body...

The corvette z06 would get my vote and then. The grand sport...

I'd buy a Porsche way before I'd buy the beautiful jaguar.

The jaguar driving experience really let me down...I thought the Porsche was a better driving experience than the jaguar and the corvette was the best out of all of them...

Ps....women love the jag...they look fabulous...a wonderful luxury two seater...

Very easy to get better half on board with buying a new jaguar...

Just didn't want to sell my corvette for one after driving the jaguar.

My advice..go test drive both.

Buy the z06 and pay whatever insurance costs....

Shop around....corvettes are usually inexpensive to insure as long as you don't use state farm...(they have my homes and not my cars...I use Amica for the cars)

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-14-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sivtec
I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.
You may need to find another insurance company. Mine doesn't cost all that much, not much more than the C5 Z06 it replaced. Unless of course you have a bad driving record and/or are very young.
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by fun ticket
Agreed on the exhaust note on the F-Type. Hands down the best around. I believe it is mostly programming and how a small amount of unburned fuel is detonated. I wish GM would have done that.
Isn't Jaguar still using the Ford DOHC 5.0?
Blvdbrawler (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by newskatercat
I just test drove both the F, and F type R. R was terrific IMO! Nail it at any speed, and not lose it, plenty of power, and great sound! F not so much. Loved interior of both. Wouldn't trade my StingRay for the F, but for a great priced R, only time will tell!

Nice! Keep me updated. Good to see someone from the stingray side thinking about making the transfer TO the Jag and not the other way around.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Isn't Jaguar still using the Ford DOHC 5.0?
Not exactly, there have been many changes to the engine, including GDI, and it's now supercharged. It is still built in a UK Ford engine factory, but it's in a Jaguar-only section, leased by JLR, and assembled by Jaguar techs. It's an all JLR engine after years of refinement.

It would be kinda like comparing an LS1 to an LT4, both of which trace their heritage back to the original Chevy 350 from the 60's.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Micster (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I love the exterior look of the jaguar. Really well done styling but driving that car was such a snooze ...I thought I was driving a nice BMW sports sedan....with a sexy body...

The corvette z06 would get my vote and then. The grand sport...

I'd buy a Porsche way before I'd buy the beautiful jaguar.

The jaguar driving experience really let me down...I thought the Porsche was a better driving experience than the jaguar and the corvette was the best out of all of them...

Ps....women love the jag...they look fabulous...a wonderful luxury two seater...

Very easy to get better half on board with buying a new jaguar...

Just didn't want to sell my corvette for one after driving the jaguar.

My advice..go test drive both.

Buy the z06 and pay whatever insurance costs....

Shop around....corvettes are usually inexpensive to insure as long as you don't use state farm...(they have my homes and not my cars...I use Amica for the cars)
Yea the other half is definitely on board with the Jag. She loves it. She also likes the Vette as well but I can tell.

Depending on my promotion coming up I may consider the Z06.

Seems like that's is been the concensus when it comes to driver experience is the Porsche. I mean how many times does the Porsche get Car of the year. I just CAN'T STAND the way they look. I've only ever like the look of the GT4 but that's a bit out of my price range
JerriVette (12-17-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Sivtec
Advanced

Originally Posted by rbartick
You may need to find another insurance company. Mine doesn't cost all that much, not much more than the C5 Z06 it replaced. Unless of course you have a bad driving record and/or are very young.
Yea that's another option. Definitely have a clean record. No accidents and I am about to hit 30. Unless you consider that young I feel old lol

Get notified of new replies

To C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I am about to hit 30. ...I feel old...

The following 2 users liked this post by ExRedRacer:
86C4Z51 (12-28-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Not exactly, there have been many changes to the engine, including GDI, and it's now supercharged. It is still built in a UK Ford engine factory, but it's in a Jaguar-only section, leased by JLR, and assembled by Jaguar techs.

It would be kinda like comparing an LS1 to an LT4, both of which trace their heritage back to the original Chevy 350 from the 60's.
Oh, OK, I recalled they were using the DOHC right before Ford cut them loose.

IMO, Ford's DOHC are/were excellent engines...
I consider them to be the best sounding American V8 made.
Foosh (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.
I absolutely love Jaguars and think they are a much better option than most of what the Germans offer. Right before the F-Type came out I was already prepared to be drooling all over it but despite what the magazines say, the car is not as sexy as I expected. It does look good, specially in the Coupe form but it's a little too small looking and not as sexy as I expected.

That said, it's still a good looking car but the Corvette (specially the GS) is leaps and bounds better looking IMO. And also, the 3LT Corvette interior is nicer overall than the Jaguars. You can't go wrong with either, but to me there's no contest!!

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 12-14-2016 at 09:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveFerrari458:
Foosh (12-14-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)

Quick Reply: C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R