C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

 
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
  #1  
Sivtec
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sivtec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 58
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R

Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.

Last edited by Sivtec; 12-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Sivtec is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:33 AM
  #2  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

I had two main problems w/ the F-Type:

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

2) No manual available for the F-Type R.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Foosh is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Gonzo (12-16-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM
  #3  
hangman
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 258
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Default

I was actually faced with almost the same decision last month, except it was a Stingray vs a regular F-Type. In the end, I went with the Stingray based on looks. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but in my opinion, the Vettes look much nicer than the F-types so I would have to vote for the Grand Sport.

Last edited by hangman; 12-14-2016 at 11:40 AM.
hangman is offline  
The following users liked this post: hangman
pdiddy972 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
  #4  
davidtcpa
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
davidtcpa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 5,846
Liked 249 Times in 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Default



Although I did not on an R, I do have an F-Type.

I have to tell you that the Jag is VERY well made. Everything is tight and well planned out. I cannot comment on the speed because my Jag is a Supercharged 6 cylinder and my 2014 Z-51 is a Supercharged (albeit aftermarket) LT1. what I can comment on is the fun-factor and the handling. Personally, I love to drive the Vette WAY more than the Jag. Just handling alone. The Jag feels much heavier than the Vette. The power between the 2 I have is huge.

I know you won't want to hear it, but for price-point comparisons, I don't think the GS and the F-Type R are a fair price comparison. It is more closely priced with the Z06, and in performance there is NO comparison at that point. I am really surprised what you say about the insurance.
davidtcpa is offline  
The following users liked this post: davidtcpa
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
  #5  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

Hangman,

Beauty is in the eye of . . . oh never mind.

On the F-Type forum, when I announced my decision to sell my F-Type and go to a C7, everyone was incredulous that I could dump such a classically beautiful car for what they considered to be a styling abomination.
Foosh is offline  
The following users liked this post: Foosh
hangman (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM
  #6  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

David, he's looking at a used '15. They're selling in the $70K range now, so the price is very comparable w/ a new GS.

Also insurance rates do tend to be much lower on F-Types than the Z06, mostly likely because they are less likely to be involved in accidents.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Foosh is offline  
The following users liked this post: Foosh
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
  #7  
davidtcpa
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
davidtcpa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 5,846
Liked 249 Times in 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
Default

Fair - but you can also look at a 2015 Z06.

I don't know, my choice would be clear, and I have both. My wife would probably have a different opinion.
davidtcpa is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM
  #8  
SteveSoCal
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Posts: 478
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I think it ironic..... the engineers who long ago designed the E-type went to
some length to center the mass in the chassis. The inline-6 sits well aft of the
front axle.

The F-type engineers seem to ignore the physics.... they have more than half of the engine ahead on front axle. It's crap.

They think we don't know the difference.
SteveSoCal is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM
  #9  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

I don't think that's accurate. The V6 is a perfect 50/50 weight balance. The V8 is 52/48 front.
Foosh is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
  #10  
SteveSoCal
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Posts: 478
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
I don't think that's accurate. The V6 is a perfect 50/50 weight balance. The V8 is 52/48 front.
Sorry, weight balance and mass centralization are two separate things....
SteveSoCal is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
  #11  
hangman
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 258
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Hangman,

Beauty is in the eye of . . . oh never mind.

On the F-Type forum, when I announced my decision to sell my F-Type and go to a C7, everyone was incredulous that I could dump such a classically beautiful car for what they considered to be a styling abomination.
Yes, you are correct, and they are both beautiful cars.. which is why it was just my opinion on the looks dept..

Either way, both are awesome cars and which ever you choose you can't go wrong.
hangman is offline  
The following users liked this post: hangman
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM
  #12  
Sivtec
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sivtec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 58
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

I had two main problems w/ the F-Type:

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

2) No manual available for the F-Type R.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.
Thanks Foosh. It's good to hear what an owner thinks. I definitely would get a RWD version. Much more "fun". It does seem like the overall consensus is it feels heavy. This is really good to know.

Originally Posted by davidtcpa View Post


Although I did not on an R, I do have an F-Type.

I have to tell you that the Jag is VERY well made. Everything is tight and well planned out. I cannot comment on the speed because my Jag is a Supercharged 6 cylinder and my 2014 Z-51 is a Supercharged (albeit aftermarket) LT1. what I can comment on is the fun-factor and the handling. Personally, I love to drive the Vette WAY more than the Jag. Just handling alone. The Jag feels much heavier than the Vette. The power between the 2 I have is huge.

I know you won't want to hear it, but for price-point comparisons, I don't think the GS and the F-Type R are a fair price comparison. It is more closely priced with the Z06, and in performance there is NO comparison at that point. I am really surprised what you say about the insurance.
Thanks for the info David. Yea the insurance is SO much higher than either. It's pretty insane.

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Hangman,

Beauty is in the eye of . . . oh never mind.

On the F-Type forum, when I announced my decision to sell my F-Type and go to a C7, everyone was incredulous that I could dump such a classically beautiful car for what they considered to be a styling abomination.
I think both cars are good looking both inside and out. I think the Jag might just barely grab the interior prize tho.


Thanks so much for the comments. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Sivtec is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:09 PM
  #13  
themonk
CF Senior Member
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 80,659
Liked 586 Times in 376 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

both are good looking cars, the Jag has great performance, the interior is a bit more cramped in the Jag and if it matters to you, there is not much cargo space in the Jag, even less if you get the spare tire option.

My buddy's Jag.

themonk is offline  
The following users liked this post: themonk
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:17 PM
  #14  
Sivtec
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sivtec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 58
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
both are good looking cars, the Jag has great performance, the interior is a bit more cramped in the Jag and if it matters to you, there is not much cargo space in the Jag, even less if you get the spare tire option.

My buddy's Jag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l063_ulS6uk
Nice!. Yea I am a small guy so cramped space isnt a problem
Sivtec is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 PM
  #15  
theplatinumog
CF Senior Member
 
theplatinumog's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,079
Liked 196 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
Good morning all,

I know I am posting this on a site where everyone will be one sided, but I really wanted to see if anyone has come from or went to the Jag. I am SO split on the two. I know most are going to say test drive both and see which one you like but again if there are any owners or post owners I would love to hear what they say.

GS Pro's:
Removable Top
Manual Transmission
I imagine its much cheaper to maintain for its lifetime

Jag Pro's:
UNIQUE (how many R badges do you see in a month, MAYBE 1)
More power
That exhaust note tho...

PS. I know there are going to be people that say go with the Z06 but I have done insurance inquiries of all and the Z06 is outrageous.
If you want an auto, get the jag.
theplatinumog is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:28 PM
  #16  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

Agreed, the ZF8 trannie in the F-Type is superb with lightning fast shifts, and has been completely bullet-proof in the F-Type. However, I think he prefers manual, which is part of the dilemma that you can't have one in an F-Type R.

It's also THE reason, I sold my F-Type and bought a C7, because as good as the ZF8 auto is, I really missed having a manual.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Foosh is offline  
The following users liked this post: Foosh
Sivtec (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
  #17  
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,442
Liked 58 Times in 51 Posts
Default Awd?

amazing i guess they couldn't come up with GM type excuses for no awd option.


Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
You're in luck, I owned both, but not a GS, Z51 in my case. I loved the F-Type, and you're right that it has the best exhaust note on the planet in my view. It's also a very well-built and reliable car.

I had two main problems w/ the F-Type:

1) It is a very heavy car, weighing about 500 lbs. more than the GS. That weight difference is very noticeable. Handling is far superior in the C7 Z51/GS, and given the weight difference the GS has virtually the same spec for straight-line acceleration, despite being down in power. The GS is way quicker around a race track because of vastly superior handling.

2) No manual available for the F-Type R.

You may already be aware that the '15 F-Type R is the only RWD version available in the U.S. and Canada. Starting in the '16MY, all V8 F-Types sold in the US are AWD.

Thus, the '15R may end up being a very desirable car because of it's rarity. It's a tough choice. Both are great cars.
TBIRD57 is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM
  #18  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 16,225
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,952 Posts
Default

A lot of F-Type owners are now upset they can only get AWD on the R in the U.S. and Canada. In all other markets, the RWD F-Type R is still available.

I guess they figured Americans couldn't be trusted with the power without AWD . . . kidding. The actual reason was to improve US sales because demand is so great in the US for AWD cars. The AWD car is even heavier, making it even less desirable in my view.

I, for one, am delighted that Corvette stays true to the lightweight, sports car formula. It's not a sports car w/o RWD in my view.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-14-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Foosh is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Micster (12-15-2016), pdiddy972 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM
  #19  
Sivtec
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Sivtec's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 58
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Agreed, the ZF8 trannie in the F-Type is superb with lightning fast shifts, and has been completely bullet-proof in the F-Type. However, I think he prefers manual, which is part of the dilemma that you can't have one in an F-Type R.

It's also THE reason, I sold my F-Type and bought a C7, because as good as the ZF8 auto is, I really missed having a manual.
Word.

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
A lot of F-Type owners are now upset they can only get AWD on the R in the U.S. and Canada. In all other markets, the RWD F-Type R is still available.

I guess they figured Americans couldn't be trusted with the power without AWD . . . kidding. The actual reason was to improve US sales because demand is so great in the US for AWD cars. The AWD car is even heavier, making it even less desirable in my view.

I, for one, am delighted that Corvette stays true to the lightweight, sports car formula. It's not a sports car w/o RWD in my view.
Word.
Sivtec is offline  
Old 12-14-2016, 01:42 PM
  #20  
bradgto
CF Senior Member
 
bradgto's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 307
Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I also thought of the Jag before I bought the Z06.

Went to the dealer to look at them and they never came out to help me. Helped others that pulled in after me. (I was driving my 2000 F250)

That made my mind up that I would buy the Z06 instead.

Glad the dealer helped me make the choice!! lol
bradgto is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by bradgto:
Blvdbrawler (12-14-2016), Sivtec (12-14-2016)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 GS vs 2015 Jaguar F-type R


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: