You win!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I have been collecting CDs since the format's inception and have many thousands.
I never know what I am in the mood for until I get ready to leave the house.
Everything is on shelves in alphabetical order and I know every one I have by memory.
When I decide what to listen to it's usually a single disk for short trips not exceeding an hour.
For longer trips, I'll take more than one.
You have WAY too much free time on your hands. You just might have a bit of OCD as well.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:40 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You have WAY too much free time on your hands.
Hey, it comes with the territory: I'm retired!

You just might have a bit of OCD as well.
ALL collectors do.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:51 PM
wu6fiend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Despite all the aging hipsters climbing on the USB bandwagon, I'm with the OP on the cd player issue. We have two 2016 vehicles (Yukon Denali and Honda Accord) and both come standard with factory cd players. I have neither the time nor the interest to transfer 100s of cds to a zip drive. GM should have installed a cd player in the Corvette, simple as that.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

The fact is the CD is a dying technology. At some point soon, there will be no cars offered with CD players. These types of changes are typically made at major refreshes. I would bet the next Accord and Yukon refresh will see the end of CD support.

When the C7 was being developed it was clear that CDs were going away. GM had to determine if they were going to support a legacy format for one more cycle or not. Obviously they decided to drop support.

The lack of a CD player does alienate a certain segment of their customers. They must have thought that group would be small and not worth the expense to package a CD player in the C7.

Personally, I felt the time and effort to rip my CDs was well worth it. Having all the music I own on one little low profile thumb drive is much more convenient than bringing a limited number of CDs and having to shuffle them into the player.

A little side thought on this; if I were a high volume dealer, I would offer a free or reduced price ripping service for my customers. It would be a painless way to transition buyers to new technology and would be a nice perk to encourage a purchase from my dealership.

Originally Posted by wu6fiend
Despite all the aging hipsters climbing on the USB bandwagon, I'm with the OP on the cd player issue. We have two 2016 vehicles (Yukon Denali and Honda Accord) and both come standard with factory cd players. I have neither the time nor the interest to transfer 100s of cds to a zip drive. GM should have installed a cd player in the Corvette, simple as that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Boiler_81:
Foosh (12-19-2016), LT1 Z51 (12-19-2016), Steve_R (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I have been collecting CDs since the format's inception and have many thousands.
I never know what I am in the mood for until I get ready to leave the house.
Everything is on shelves in alphabetical order and I know every one I have by memory.
When I decide what to listen to it's usually a single disk for short trips not exceeding an hour.
For longer trips, I'll take more than one.
Rarely do I drive more than a couple of hours anywhere.
I do not skip tracks and listen to an entire disk at a time.
I pop a disk in BEFORE backing out of the garage and don't usually change on the fly.

I suspect the OP may have a similar situation.
Imagine the same exact scenario (your entire alphabetized collection on shelving) all contained on a single USB disk, in your car and available to you on every trip. No pre-selection required.
The following 3 users liked this post by drs:
Foosh (12-19-2016), LT1 Z51 (12-19-2016), Woodson (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

You have WAY too much free time on your hands. You just might have a bit of OCD as well.
I believe you mean 'CDO'. Same thing but with the letters in the right order.

Sorry
Old 12-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

We have a ton of CDs. But we haven't purchased one for about 10 years, and we're boomers. Moved from CDs to iTunes, but now that's old school for us.

One of our favorites is Pandora. Just create different stations for different types of music, give thumbs up to the ones you like and thumbs down for the ones you don't. Before you know it you've created your own new stations and get served up a lot of great tunes that you would probably never have heard. If you have a '16 or newer, you can use it easily.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hopper12
I believe you mean 'CDO'. Same thing but with the letters in the right order.

Sorry
Good one.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

We have a ton of CDs. But we haven't purchased one for about 10 years, and we're boomers. Moved from CDs to iTunes, but now that's old school for us.

One of our favorites is Pandora. Just create different stations for different types of music, give thumbs up to the ones you like and thumbs down for the ones you don't. Before you know it you've created your own new stations and get served up a lot of great tunes that you would probably never have heard. If you have a '16 or newer, you can use it easily.
And listen to the endless amount of commercials (or pay $$$ to not hear them). Sorry - No THANKS!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
The fact is the CD is a dying technology.
THEY have been saying that about optical disks for years.
It ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

The lack of a CD player does alienate a certain segment of their customers. They must have thought that group would be small and not worth the expense to package a CD player in the C7.
Kids don't drive C7s, old Fncks like me do.
GM should have a better grasp of who their customers are.

Besides, a CD player would cost GM no more than 50 bucks tops.

My guess is GM put some youngsters in charge of developing the C7 Infotainment System.

Personally, I felt the time and effort to rip my CDs was well worth it. Having all the music I own on one little low profile thumb drive is much more convenient
In that case, you must not have many CDs.
than bringing a limited number of CDs and having to shuffle them into the player.
You consider sliding a disk into a slot in the dash difficult?

A little side thought on this; if I were a high volume dealer, I would offer a free or reduced price ripping service for my customers. It would be a painless way to transition buyers to new technology and would be a nice perk to encourage a purchase from my dealership.
You wouldn't for long...
You would quickly realize you now have an extra and unnecessary cost because the car manufacturer didn't put a cheap little disk player in.

Originally Posted by drs
Imagine the same exact scenario (your entire alphabetized collection on shelving) all contained on a single USB disk, in your car and available to you on every trip.
I have approx. 7,000 CDs.

Let's do the math...
7,000 x 5 minutes ripping time = 35,000 minutes
35,000/12 rips per hour = 2,917 hours

Anyone here want to volunteer 2,917 hours of your life to rip my CDs?
Me neither.

No pre-selection required.
The thing is...I WANT to pre-select.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I guess you're screwed.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Obviously you are an outlier. GM nor any other will continue putting CD players in cars for people on the margins. Like it or not, CD players will go the way of the 8 track and cassette players.

My guess is GM put some youngsters in charge of developing the C7 Infotainment System.

You wouldn't for long...
You would quickly realize you now have an extra and unnecessary cost because the car manufacturer didn't put a cheap little disk player in.

Let's do the math...

Me neither.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

The "I'm old" excuse for wanting an outdated CD player is just that - an excuse, and a weak one at that. I turn 60 in a few months and I don't miss not having one in my C7 and I wouldn't use it if it had one.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
Obviously you are an outlier.
The "I'm old" excuse for wanting an outdated CD player is just that - an excuse, and a weak one at that..
Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

When I bought my car, I took it for granted there would be a player included and didn't make a point to actually check.
Anyway, next time around I certainly will.

If there would be a place to install aftermarket unit, I wouldn't really complain much.
Sadly, that isn't the case with the C7.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by defaria
And listen to the endless amount of commercials (or pay $$$ to not hear them). Sorry - No THANKS!
Well, not really. If I remember correctly, we got a 15 or 30 second commercial every 10-15 minutes or so. We liked it well enough that we now pay something like $50/year that covers all the devices and stations we have on our account - completely commercial free. On our account we have stations set up for my wife, me, our son, and our daughter. We each have set up 4-6 stations that serve up the type of music we like individually, with no commercials and no talking by anyone. Just cut after cut. After a week or so of 'thumbs up/down' for each new station, we get music that we like all the time - with several different groups that emulate the 'root' group we chose for the 'station'.

And the cool thing is that we use it in our cars, on our phones, in our home thru our audio systems, Alexa, etc. Any place you can set up the app. - so we get the 'stations' any of us want, virtually anywhere we need it. Works well for us, but maybe not for you or others.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-19-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To A workable CD player for the C7

Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Well, not really. If I remember correctly, we got a 15 or 30 second commercial every 10-15 minutes or so.
The way I have things set up I get no commercials.

We liked it well enough that we now pay something like $50/year that covers all the devices and stations we have on our account - completely commercial free.
That's a waste of $50/year.

On our account we have stations set up for my wife, me, our son, and our daughter. We each have set up 4-6 stations that serve up the type of music we like individually, with no commercials and no talking by anyone.
At this point, I mostly listen to podcasts and talking. When I want music, by and large, I play it as I'm a guitarist. No commercials there either...

Just cut after cut. After a week or so of 'thumbs up/down' for each new station, we get music that we like all the time - with several different groups that emulate the 'root' group we chose for the 'station'.

And the cool thing is that we use it in our cars, on our phones, in our home thru our audio systems, Alexa, etc. Any place you can set up the app. - so we get the 'stations' any of us want, virtually anywhere we need it. Works well for us, but maybe not for you or others.
Yeah, that's until Yet Another Music Service comes around. There's what? Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio and probably many others. I'm not interested so I don't remember their names. It's all great if you happen to pick the service that will remain in service and not go belly up.

In my system I control my own music and I'm not going out of "service" any time soon.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by defaria
The way I have things set up I get no commercials.

That's a waste of $50/year.

At this point, I mostly listen to podcasts and talking. When I want music, by and large, I play it as I'm a guitarist. No commercials there either...

Yeah, that's until Yet Another Music Service comes around. There's what? Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio and probably many others. I'm not interested so I don't remember their names. It's all great if you happen to pick the service that will remain in service and not go belly up.

In my system I control my own music and I'm not going out of "service" any time soon.

As I said: Works well for us, but maybe not for you or others.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

You wouldn't for long...

Let's do the math...

Me neither.

Lol, you seriously care about every track, every single track...lol. Ok...

Quick Reply: A workable CD player for the C7