Sponsored by:

Run-Flats or Non-RunFlats

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:23 PM
mbdcasey
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Run-Flats or Non-RunFlats

Realizing that there is no spare, I'm still considering replacing worn tires with non-runflats - have a can of Fix-It-Flat for slow leak or call the tow truck for major failure. Anyone else gone down this road?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, many, including myself. My summer tires are the OEM PSS runflats, but my winter all-seasons are not. When not on runflats, I carry a small portable jack, tire patch kit, lug-wrench, and Slime.

Moreover, my '08 BMW M3 and '14 Jaguar F-Type were not OEM equipped w/ runflats, had no spare, and simply came with a portable inflator and can of fix-a-flat.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-19-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I would have done the same thing and in fact on my C7 with 19/20 inch tires I had to go with non-runflat Michelin All Season tires because they didn't make a run-flat version. Now they do although they are in short supply right now.

BUT the Michelin run-flat is a very soft and quiet tire for a run-flat. While I'm comfortable with non-runflats on my C7 and carry a small compressor, I'd much rather have run-flats and when I change the tires I have I will buy the run-flat version since other than being slightly more expensive there really is no downside anymore.

So why not?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by Foosh
When not on runflats, I carry a small portable jack, tire patch kit, lug-wrench, and Slime.
Forget all that and just carry a small compressor.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:38 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I would have done the same thing and in fact on my C7 with 19/20 inch tires I had to go with non-runflat Michelin All Season tires because they didn't make a run-flat version. Now they do although they are in short supply right now.

BUT the Michelin run-flat is a very soft and quiet tire for a run-flat. While I'm comfortable with non-runflats on my C7 and carry a small compressor, I'd much rather have run-flats and when I change the tires I have I will buy the run-flat version since other than being slightly more expensive there really is no downside anymore.

So why not?
Assuming I wear out my Conti non runflats before I trade I may go with the new Michelin AS runflats if the reviews are positive in terms of ride, noise and durability. For now I am very pleased with my DWS 06s.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Assuming I wear out my Conti non runflats before I trade I may go with the new Michelin AS runflats if the reviews are positive in terms of ride, noise and durability. For now I am very pleased with my DWS 06s.
Haven't heard many reports yet since they are so new but I had the smaller versions on my C6 and everyone here raved about them and they were right. I'm relatively sure that the new ones are going to be even better in both ride and performance.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 12-19-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

The portable jack is the small fold-up BMW emergency type, which weighs a couple of lbs. and along the the lug wrench take up less space than the compressor kit (w/ patches and Slime). The inflator kit case has velcro on the bottom, which sticks it to the trunk carpet. It all fits in the small storage area under the convertible top, and leaves the main storage area of the trunk completely empty.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:03 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

I am a notorious enemy of Run-Flat tires. This is just a legal sidestep to allow Manufactures to sell cars without spare tires... saving cost, weight, and space... a good tradeoff IMHO.

However Run-flats on a car like the Corvette don't buy you much. Other than a massive sidewall failure, a Non-run-flat with compressor and sealant will give better performance, and a massive sidewall failure on a run-flat will not out-perform a regular tire.

So, its 5:00 pm on a Sunday, and I hit a piece of debris on Interstate 99. My Run-Flat lets me limp to exit 999 and get to Goober's Auto Repair... and wait two days to have a MPSS shipped to Goober's.

Run-Flats?... get a Toyota.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

some here on the forum was driving in the hinterlands of Georgia has a massive failure from hitting a bolt. He was told 2 weeks to get a replacement tire ended up towing it back home said it cost him 1700. Search ont he 1700 hundred dollar flat. Probably unusual you may not drive outside of your area. I wanted to have the piece of mind and and not have to sit by the roadside and screw with plugs and patches in the pooring rain. Yes the runflats are heavier and not as good as non runflats then the various car magazines posted amazing numbers using them. I will never drive my car as hard as that. Michelin makes an all season the as3 iin a runflat use that for the colder times
Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
a legal sidestep to allow Manufactures to sell cars without spare tires
What legal sidestep is needed? There are a lot of cars that don't have run flats or spare tires.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:35 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dashotgun
some here on the forum was driving in the hinterlands of Georgia has a massive failure from hitting a bolt. He was told 2 weeks to get a replacement tire ended up towing it back home said it cost him 1700. Search ont he 1700 hundred dollar flat. Probably unusual you may not drive outside of your area. I wanted to have the piece of mind and and not have to sit by the roadside and screw with plugs and patches in the pooring rain. Yes the runflats are heavier and not as good as non runflats then the various car magazines posted amazing numbers using them. I will never drive my car as hard as that. Michelin makes an all season the as3 iin a runflat use that for the colder times
So how would a massive failure on a Run-Flat change the story. Technically, a Run-Flat only gives 50 miles of range.

I have torn the sidewall out of a Run-Flat hitting a pothole.

Its all about sidewall stiffness.

I've driven my race car with Hoosiers that had zero pressure, but the stiff sidewalls supported the weight.

Most High performance Summer tires have the same sidewall stiffness whether Run-Flat or not.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:35 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Doesn't that Slime fix a flat damage the tire pressure gage inside the wheel?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I am a notorious enemy of Run-Flat tires. This is just a legal sidestep to allow Manufactures to sell cars without spare tires... saving cost, weight, and space... a good tradeoff IMHO.

However Run-flats on a car like the Corvette don't buy you much. Other than a massive sidewall failure, a Non-run-flat with compressor and sealant will give better performance, and a massive sidewall failure on a run-flat will not out-perform a regular tire.

So, its 5:00 pm on a Sunday, and I hit a piece of debris on Interstate 99. My Run-Flat lets me limp to exit 999 and get to Goober's Auto Repair... and wait two days to have a MPSS shipped to Goober's.

Run-Flats?... get a Toyota.
RFs not out-perform on a massive sidewall failure? NOT TRUE. It takes an awful lot to shred a RF off a rim. If you have a sidewall failure, you can still limp somewhere safe and dry, with a non RF, you are stuck, plain and simple, maybe ruining your rim just to get to the side of the road.

As far as having to wait for a RF to be ordered, It doesn't matter if you are using RFs or non RFs in this scenario, because virtually no one stocks tires of any sort in the sizes that the Corvette uses. You're going to have to wait anyway. I would go as far as saying that a RF is more likely to be stocked than a non RF, because the vast majority of Corvette owners use RFs.
The following 5 users liked this post by owc6:
Corgidog1 (12-20-2016), dvilin (12-19-2016), snappy2u (12-20-2016), Supersonic 427 (12-21-2016), Walt White Coupe (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:45 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
RFs not out-perform on a massive sidewall failure? NOT TRUE. It takes an awful lot to shred a RF off a rim. If you have a sidewall failure, you can still limp somewhere safe and dry, with a non RF, you are stuck, plain and simple, maybe ruining your rim just to get to the side of the road.

As far as having to wait for a RF to be ordered, It doesn't matter if you are using RFs or non RFs in this scenario, because virtually no one stocks tires of any sort in the sizes that the Corvette uses. You're going to have to wait anyway. I would go as far as saying that a RF is more likely to be stocked than a non RF, because the vast majority of Corvette owners use RFs.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:43 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by owc6

I have had major tire failure on a Non RF tire, and they basically perform the same way.

So your point is a RF gives no more availability. Whether you use a RF or Non-RF, any significant tire failure puts you in the same situation.

If you are screwed one way or the other, choose the best case option.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 PM
owc6
Team Owner

I have had major tire failure on a Non RF tire, and they basically perform the same way.

So your point is a RF gives no more availability. Whether you use a RF or Non-RF, any significant tire failure puts you in the same situation.

If you are screwed one way or the other, choose the best case option.
No it doesn't.

On a RF you can go considerable distances on an otherwise ruined tire. On a non RF, you are stuck waiting for a flatbed, perhaps in a less than desirable place.

The sidewall stiffness is nowhere the same between the two.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Doesn't that Slime fix a flat damage the tire pressure gage inside the wheel?
No, they have modified the formula these days, and virtually all of them are rated TPMS safe.
The following users liked this post:
bjones7131 (12-20-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Run-Flats or Non-RunFlats

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 PM
owc6
Team Owner

It is still recommended to get the tire properly patch-plugged and cleaned as soon as possible.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Lisa, yes absolutely, but just like a runflat, it get's you out of harm's way. Moreover, a runflat is going to be toast once driven at 0 psi for 50 miles.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-19-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Yes it is. It is a useful tool. Even though I use run flats currently ( I haven't always), I keep a plug kit, compressor, jacking insets, and slime in the car at all times.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Run-Flats or Non-RunFlats