2017 Grand Sport with confirmed torque converter failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM
KrikGS
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
The A10 won't fit in the C7.
I keep hearing that but then I keep reading in just about every Camaro ZL1 review that the A10 is the same size as the current A8 so I think it's a matter of time before we see the A10 in the current C7 gen.

I think GM is being coy about the A10 fit. If they just came out and said "yes, it's an easy fit", potential buyers may hold out waiting for the A10 release which would be bad news since sales are already soft right now.

Last edited by KrikGS; 12-23-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by KrikGS:
pdiddy972 (12-24-2016), Spasetrucker (01-13-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 07:57 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Personally I think the A8 has plenty of gears. I can't imagine having 10 gears in an engine with a broad power band. From all the stories I see, if my A8 acts up, I think I would try to trade the car before fixing it. Half the time I have traded-in my cars the dealer never test drove them.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I really hate to read this. I'm still thinking it a a defective part issue. If GM is putting the same part in each car and an unacceptable percentage fail, which is the case, then what else could it be? I have a lot experience in manufacturing control, and this is really a red flag for a defective part in my opinion. This part, or parts should be more closely scrutinized and examined before assembly.
The following users liked this post:
oldC5 (12-23-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:28 AM
KrikGS
Instructor

Didn't the replacement torque converters receive revised part numbers? I would think a different part# would indicate a redesign or modification of some sort. GM publicly stated that any Corvette built after 11/1/2015 should not be affected. If it is in fact my torque converter that is failing, then that's a game changer.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by KrikGS
Didn't the replacement torque converters receive revised part numbers? I would think a different part# would indicate a redesign or modification of some sort. GM publicly stated that any Corvette built after 11/1/2015 should not be affected. If it is in fact my torque converter that is failing, then that's a game changer.
Yes, the new revised torque converters (at least mine did) did receive new part numbers. GM also changed the part # for the transmission fluid. As I have mentioned before, the dealer told me the reason the
TC's were failing was because of a bad o-ring. I noticed no problems with my transmission until around 10K miles and I have had no further problems since the new TC. If the o-ring's start to fail at around 10K miles, we are going to have failures for all of those low mileage cars (2K a year) for years to come. I am sure it took GM several months or longer to determine the problem with the A8 and while they were breaking down the transmissions for inspection, the A8 TC's with the bad o-rings continued to be built. I have one of the first A8's, a 2015 built October, 2014.

Last edited by Red C8 of Jax; 12-24-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:36 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax
Yes, the new revised torque converters (at least mine did) did receive new part numbers. GM also changed the part # for the transmission fluid. As I have mentioned before, the dealer told me the reason the
TC's were failing was because of a bad o-ring. I noticed no problems with my transmission until around 10K miles and I have had no further problems since the new TC. If the o-ring's start to fail at around 10K miles, we are going to have failures for all of those low mileage cars (2K a year) for years to come. I am sure it took GM several months or longer to determine the problem with the A8 and while they were breaking down the transmissions for inspection, the A8 TC's with the bad o-rings continued to be built.
I could go along with that. So it sounds like when the O rings were installed in production there was not a preinstallation examination of the part to ensure it wasn't out of spec. This is the third 2017 on the forum that has had a failure. So apparently they are still not checking them close enough, if indeed that if the failure point. Of course I realize that it may be something unrelated to the O ring.
I imagine that since the A8 issue has been addressed and admitted, they are hopefully fully inspecting every part before it goes to the assembly line.
The more I think about it there are so many variables that it would take a step by step verification process at assembly to ensure this doesn't occur in the future.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:29 PM
tjs15
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Any more info on your tranny problems?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 PM
KrikGS
Instructor

Haven't had a chance to take it in yet with the Holidays and all. Although the problem is definitely still there. Annoying when I'm on the Interstate for my daily commute. I'm going to at least call Stingray Chevrolet and make them aware of my issue tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:21 PM
tjs15
Advanced

Haven't had a chance to take it in yet with the Holidays and all. Although the problem is definitely still there. Annoying when I'm on the Interstate for my daily commute. I'm going to at least call Stingray Chevrolet and make them aware of my issue tomorrow.
Mine is driveable with the Range AFM Disabler and have not found a local dealer yet who seems to know much about TC replacement. I will keep driving it this way until I find the right dealer. Hope you get positive results with yours. I copy ever thread that deals with these problem to show dealers who say there are no problems
Old 12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
KrikGS
Instructor

What year is your C7? Even if I have to have the TC replaced, I'm thinking about picking up a Range AFM disabler to disable the stupid V4 mode. Although, I've heard that they only work intermittently on the 2017's. Was hoping a firmware update would solve that but I haven't seen one yet.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

The problem with my A8 is a common one. I have a early build 2016 Z51 and when it sits overnight it takes about 5 to 8 seconds to move after I start it up in the morning and shift into gear. The fix is to take the Transmission OUT and OPEN it up and install an additional check valve/ball to prevent the fluid from draining. It is a BIG job. I am about 55 miles from Stingray Chevy and drove there to talk to them. They had about 12 Vettes in the shop with their transmission in pieces....The Service adviser wanted me to leave my car overnight(they would give me a loaner) so as to offically diagnose the problem and if it in fact was doing what I said it was ...it would take about 3 weeks to get the parts and a open mechanic to fix it. I decided not to do that and found that if I shift the car into drive then reverse it moves like it should or let it idle for about 10 seconds.....I have another 4 years to make up my mind on whether or not to have the transmission worked on. This is a problem GM KNOWS they have and they STILL haven't done anything to correct it.....It really pisses me off that a car costing 82 Grand (including Museum Delivery) has these kinds of problems.

Last edited by obxchartercaptain; 12-27-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
tjs15
Advanced

What year is your C7? Even if I have to have the TC replaced, I'm thinking about picking up a Range AFM disabler to disable the stupid V4 mode. Although, I've heard that they only work intermittently on the 2017's. Was hoping a firmware update would solve that but I haven't seen one yet.
Mine is an early 15 model and was fine until about 9700 miles. I have a cable for the Range with a switch that I shutoff after each ride. Kills power to it so no
power drain and I have not had 1 issue with the Range.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:38 PM
tjs15
Advanced

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
The problem with my A8 is a common one. I have a early build 2016 Z51 and when it sits overnight it takes about 5 to 8 seconds to move after I start it up in the morning and shift into gear. The fix is to take the Transmission OUT and OPEN it up and install an additional check valve/ball to prevent the fluid from draining. It is a BIG job. I am about 55 miles from Stingray Chevy and drove there to talk to them. They had about 12 Vettes in the shop with their transmission in pieces....The Service adviser wanted me to leave my car overnight(they would give me a loaner) so as to offically diagnose the problem and if it in fact was doing what I said it was ...it would take about 3 weeks to get the parts and a open mechanic to fix it. I decided not to do that and found that if I shift the car into drive then reverse it moves like it should or let it idle for about 10 seconds.....I have another 4 years to make up my mind on whether or not to have the transmission worked on. This is a problem GM KNOWS they have and they STILL haven't done anything to correct it.....It really pisses me off that a car costing 82 Grand (including Museum Delivery) has these kinds of problems.
I agree with OBX in that I will not have mine taken apart until I find the right dealer with the right answer to the problem. Still seems that the right answer has not been found. Some people have had luck with certain procedures and for others it has come back.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I really hate to read this. I'm still thinking it a a defective part issue. If GM is putting the same part in each car and an unacceptable percentage fail, which is the case, then what else could it be? I have a lot experience in manufacturing control, and this is really a red flag for a defective part in my opinion. This part, or parts should be more closely scrutinized and examined before assembly.
Hate reading this stuff, also.
Be lucky if it were only bad part(s), parts can be replaced.
What if it's something designers simply don't understand?
If GM power div wizs don't know what to fix, it's 'unfixable'.

Isn't w/o precedent, all vehicle makers have had clinkers (think Cad 4-6-8 etc) and the A8 may be one in the making...unless, A8 issue(s) are first thoroughly understood there can't be a fix, permanent or otherwise.
A10?

Damned shame.
Had an opportunity to drive a '16 A8 CTS w/ turbo 4.
Blown away how precise & smooth it was, allowed the most of a fairly small engine.
Of course for the week I had it, it worked.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:14 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by tjs15
I agree with OBX in that I will not have mine taken apart until I find the right dealer with the right answer to the problem. Still seems that the right answer has not been found. Some people have had luck with certain procedures and for others it has come back.
You are where I was about 18 months ago, to hold off until GM gets its act together with a proven fix. Today I don't hold much encouragement that progress has been made, and changing the TC will likely fix the problem for the short term but problems will recur in the future. In my case the shuddering got much worse and I had to either bite the bullet, buy a Range device, or drive the car in manual mode all the time. I chose the former, but after I get the car back I'm going to order a GS with M7 and trade my current car, which otherwise is excellent in most every way.
pdiddy972 (01-03-2017)
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Send GM CEO an email and make some noise. I did this on the 16 stingray I had and got some attention. GM eventually bought the car back not for the A8 but another problem. These dealerships will keep putting you off insisting they have never had an issue with the A8. Joke
Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Gotta say, brief moment I wanted A8, but kept my 7 speed and bought automatic C6. Glad.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport with confirmed torque converter failure

Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
V4 mode?
Remember the automatic goes into V4 automatically unless manual shifting is selected. With all the automatic transmission problems you guys have, I am surprised anyone considers an automatic.
pdiddy972 (01-03-2017)
Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Remember the automatic goes into V4 automatically unless manual shifting is selected. With all the automatic transmission problems you guys have, I am surprised anyone considers an automatic.
I went back with another A8 thinking they had fixed the problem. I onl had 4k on my 16 and tranny and tc was fine and only have 250 miles on my GS A8. If this GS doesn't pan out i will buy a mustang.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:57 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Any updates?

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport with confirmed torque converter failure