OEM battery life

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
I appreciate the PDF; it's certainly more involved than earlier models. My C6 had the Dead Battery Syndrome (manual trans.) before a new BCM was installed and I replaced that one pro-actively not wanting to get stranded knowing the history of it being discharged. My C1 and C3 batteries were a pain to replace due to their location but were simple in the actual procedure. The C7 is a bit more involved in both.
Thanks. Have a funny battery story about my '88 C5. Had to replace that battery after it died in ~4 years. It was located below the brake master cylinder/booster and a chassis brace. Fortunately you just had to remove two bolts and turn the small body panel on the side to remove it!

Had a good friend who was president of a welding distributorship and had come to our plant for product training with his sales folks. At dinner he was telling the story of his neighbor who came and asked if he knew how to change a battery in his '88 Corvette. He said he had not done it in a while but sure he'd help. They spent several hours removing the metal brace and the loosening and moving the brake master cylinder, booster and lines!

I let him continue the story until the end, then told him he just needed to loosen two bolts and pull the body panel outward!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-22-2016 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (01-15-2017)
Old 12-22-2016, 01:54 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm the original owner of my '84 (since May '83) and in 33 years I've replaced the battery at least 6 times. I know the drill about loosening or even removing the side panel for access; many who acquire these cars nowadays haven't a clue and probably use the procedure you described!
JerryU (12-22-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 09:13 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My 14 veto battery lasted 2 years and I kept the maintainer on it during that time. At the two year mark I forgot to put the maintainer on it after going on the Western Scenic Tour and after 3 weeks went to drive it and the battery was dead. Chevy replaced it under warranty at no cost.

A battery in a ford truck I had bought new lasted 1 year and a week and I had to pay to replace that. It happens, no big deal.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:32 PM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Optima Battery Replacement

Anyone have the model number for Optima replacement battery? Bought the car in March 2014 it just died. At least is was in the garage!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

14 coupe, have used the maintainer religiously since new. No troubles at this point.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

2015 C7 1LT, A8, 20,000 miles and no problems.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jonparks
Anyone have the model number for Optima replacement battery? Bought the car in March 2014 it just died. At least is was in the garage!
See my post #8 on this thread. Replaced my OEM battery with an AGM but not Optima-it won't fit. The OEM battery has a large power board attached to the positive terminal. The replacement battery must have recessed teminals to have it fit. So some tricks to get power board off and battery out of recess area in rear that are covered in that post.

Also if you have not accessed the battery there is suggestion in the
PDF included in my post #8 to avoid ripping the carpet!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-15-2017 at 12:18 PM.
jonparks (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Had an '05 C6 for 6 1/2 years and kept it always on a Battery Tender Plus. Sold the C6 with the original OEM battery.

My '14 C7 is 39 months old and do the same with the OEM Ctek charger. No problem so far, fingers crossed.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 PM
tlippy
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Probably more than five years if is never allowed to run down. I've heard that every time a battery is run down it cuts the life in half.
This is my schedule also. IMHO - if a sealed lead acid battery ever runs down to a point that it won't start a car - it's done
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
2014 Vette here early model here still on the one it was born with. Never has failed me with no sign of it. Now watch it go out on me. Robert
Same for my 2014. No issues.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:20 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

For folks that have replaced their battery, did you go with another lead acid or an AGM? I also understand fitment is an issue in the C7. Who sells a battery that fits without any issues? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:59 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I've had a low voltage since new. Dealer said it was fine and in fairness it operated fine for 3 years. Even was on vacation several times for 2 1/2 weeks without a charger etc. it started fine.

However thought I'd get a new one before it's 4 winter. Bought a Sears AGM Diehard (Model 50748) when it was on sale late summer. Glad I did when I had the time and was not in a rush to get a replacement. It is not a simple change! This is a picture PDF with a few of the "tricks." http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Note: You need a special top configuration so if not getting an exact Delco replacement be careful as an Optima and a number of other won't fit the large power board on the positive terminal. One trick is how to release that large power board from the battery. The 2014 Service Manual was of little help, it just said, "Unclip from the battery" with no pic or description of where the clips were! Not obvious. Needs a pic, which the PDF provides!

Side Bar: When I brought my old C7 battery back to Sears, talked with the auto service manager and mentioned a few tricks, like how not to rip the carpet when getting to the battery, which once poster mentioned the dealer did and for sure an AAA driver would do even if just jump starting! Told him about removing the power board as well. He said in cars with batteries in "funny" locations they will not install and recommend they go to the dealer!

Can understand as with our Porsche Cayenne it was far under the drivers seat and a YouTube Video showed a ~3 hour effort to change since you had to remove the seat!. That is after getting a very large metric star bit for my 1/2 inch drive wrenches! In fact since that battery was showing only 11.8/11.9 volts when I needed to take a 1000 mile trip and before I had time to replace it, decided to trade that 4 year old SUV in on a BMW 5X SUV. Better vehicle however BMW already changed the battery at their cost for one they said was a $900 battery! Was operating fine but they switched to a higher capacity huge AGM battery since the car has energy saving features and only operates the alternator when braking or coasting! A gauge shows it as energy recovery.
the link with pictures are great - thank you
JerryU (01-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:53 PM
jgeer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently went on a cruise and my 14 coupe -no battery tender set in garage for 5 weeks without being started with original battery. Even after 32000 miles no problem starting. My prior C6 would not have started.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
For folks that have replaced their battery, did you go with another lead acid or an AGM? I also understand fitment is an issue in the C7. Who sells a battery that fits without any issues? Thanks.
See my Post #6 on this tread. I used a Sears DieHard AGM, fits fine. Also found one at AutoZone.
Referenced post has PDF with some install hints in a picture PDF.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Crossed Flags Fan (01-20-2017), rmorin1249 (02-25-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Warranty

2015 C7 A8

Mine died while I was on vacation for 10 days a few months ago. That was at about 19 months and 25,000 miles. The dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I've had a low voltage since new. Dealer said it was fine and in fairness it operated fine for 3 years. Even was on vacation several times for 2 1/2 weeks without a charger etc. it started fine.

However thought I'd get a new one before it's 4 winter. Bought a Sears AGM Diehard (Model 50748) when it was on sale late summer. Glad I did when I had the time and was not in a rush to get a replacement. It is not a simple change! This is a picture PDF with a few of the "tricks." http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Note: You need a special top configuration so if not getting an exact Delco replacement be careful as an Optima and a number of other won't fit the large power board on the positive terminal. One trick is how to release that large power board from the battery. The 2014 Service Manual was of little help, it just said, "Unclip from the battery" with no pic or description of where the clips were! Not obvious. Needs a pic, which the PDF provides!

Side Bar: When I brought my old C7 battery back to Sears, talked with the auto service manager and mentioned a few tricks, like how not to rip the carpet when getting to the battery, which once poster mentioned the dealer did and for sure an AAA driver would do even if just jump starting! Told him about removing the power board as well. He said in cars with batteries in "funny" locations they will not install and recommend they go to the dealer!

Can understand as with our Porsche Cayenne it was far under the drivers seat and a YouTube Video showed a ~3 hour effort to change since you had to remove the seat!. That is after getting a very large metric star bit for my 1/2 inch drive wrenches! In fact since that battery was showing only 11.8/11.9 volts when I needed to take a 1000 mile trip and before I had time to replace it, decided to trade that 4 year old SUV in on a BMW 5X SUV. Better vehicle however BMW already changed the battery at their cost for one they said was a $900 battery! Was operating fine but they switched to a higher capacity huge AGM battery since the car has energy saving features and only operates the alternator when braking or coasting! A gauge shows it as energy recovery.
On page 10 of your netwelding.com Battery issues"Jump Start Under Hood", my 2014 Owner's Manual has no statement regarding jump starting the C7 from the engine compartment. What page in the 2014 manual was the conflicting statement noted?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
marcouvo
Pro

I utilized the underhood post to jump start the car after the original battery died. Went fine, no ill effects so far as I know.

2015 C7 A8 (non-Z51) January 2015 build.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM battery life

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 PM
marcouvo
Pro

I utilized the underhood post to jump start the car after the original battery died. Went fine, no ill effects so far as I know.

2015 C7 A8 (non-Z51) January 2015 build.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ETHYL
On page 10 of your netwelding.com Battery issues"Jump Start Under Hood", my 2014 Owner's Manual has no statement regarding jump starting the C7 from the engine compartment. What page in the 2014 manual was the conflicting statement noted?
There was a lot of discussion about this statement in 2013 when I received my C7:
Page 1-20:
Jump Starting the Battery
"The battery is in the rear of the vehicle. Access to the battery is not necessary for jump starting. There are remote positive (+) and negative (−) terminals under the hood for this purpose.
See Battery on page 10-30 and Jump Starting on page 10-65."

When you look at the referenced pages it says NOTHING about under hood! I PM'd the GM folks who monitor the Forum to validate the location since looking to the size of the wire going to the front fuse box it looked too small to carry current required to jump start! After several tries, I was told, they could not get an answer from "their technical sources."

I wired my street rod, which also has a battery in the far right rear. I calculated the required cable size and it is much larger! Starters can utilize very high currents-300 to 400 amps!

That statement was removed from the 2015 and later manuals!

That is a fine location to power an accessory and note someone said they did use it to jump start. Perhaps it was for a short amount of time! IMO that wire size could cause it to burn out, cause a fire somewhere along the length back to the battery etc! Was looking for GM to say it was OK. It apparently was a misprint! Other cars I have owned with batteries other than in the engine compartment provide clearly labeled + & - locations that have heavy gauge wires in the compartment.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-19-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:13 PM
twilhelm39
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

2014 Z51 with 4995 miles and everything just started acting funny last week. Doors won't open all the time, memory seats are funky, trunk doesn't open. I have an appointment tomorrow for some other work and I'm going to get it checked. I'm sure it's the battery. I always have it on the charger and the light was orange yesterday.

Quick Reply: OEM battery life