Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:17 PM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

So my friend at work got our cars about the same time 3 months ago. I got a Torch red 16 1LT Z51 vette and he got a black 17 2SS camaro. I've had a decent amount of time in both.

Vette - Love my car. Its a show stopper in terms of attention (which I like). Love the targa top feature. Visibility is fine (could use blind spot monitoring system). I like the shifter better (rifle action shifter compared the the camaro's aftermarket short shifter feel). Interior layout wayyy better (digital center gauges and touch screen facing the driving, camaro's facing down?!).

Camaro - The sound is about 100 times better than the vette. The acceleration feels stronger in the Camaro. The price is wayyy lower (Vette - 58k after TTT, Camaro - 40K after TTT). Visibility is atrocious. More features.

The vette win aesthetics, visibility, ergonomics of the interior, and attention/status. The Camaro wins on price, engine sound, interior space, vicersal speed.

After being around his car and looking at the almost 20k more I paid, makes me think about my decision a little bit but I still love the vette. I would consider going to a ZL1 if some deals start happening in the next year....

Last edited by DuvalVette; 12-26-2016 at 12:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DuvalVette:
911Hunter (07-13-2023), joeybsyc (12-26-2016), Zap City (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Two other cars to consider: Chevy SS or Cadillac ATS-V.

More room and both a lot of fun.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:05 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for a very fair and honest assessment. I would agree 100% on all points you made. Too many times guys just trash the Camaro with no knowledge of it other than the opinion that "the vette is better....well just because its a vette" rationale. Interestingly enough, I have to wonder what the 2SS performance numbers would be against a base vette. The published performance specs are usually on a Z51 or higher performing variant. Rarely does GM ever offer one up for testing for obvious reasons. I bet a lot of people would be shocked to see an actual performance comparison base car to SS. I have to wonder how many vette guys are secretly peeved that the Camaro has gotten so much positive and glowing press, for good reason. And I also have to groan when I hear them say that a base vette is the same money as a loaded Camaro. That is simply not true if you are talking discounted cars before tax. I have to say that I am loving my GS more every day (its a fantastic car by all measures) but I still have nagging doubts about selling my SS.

Originally Posted by DuvalVette
So my friend at work got our cars about the same time 3 months ago. I got a Torch red 16 1LT Z51 vette and he got a black 17 2SS camaro. I've had a decent amount of time in both.

Vette - Love my car. Its a show stopper in terms of attention (which I like). Love the targa top feature. Visibility is fine (could use blind spot monitoring system). I like the shifter better (rifle action shifter compared the the camaro's aftermarket short shifter feel). Interior layout wayyy better (digital center gauges and touch screen facing the driving, camaro's facing down?!).

Camaro - The sound is about 100 times better than the vette. The acceleration feels stronger in the Camaro. The price is wayyy lower (Vette - 58k after TTT, Camaro - 40K after TTT). Visibility is atrocious. More features.

The vette win aesthetics, visibility, ergonomics of the interior, and attention/status. The Camaro wins on price, engine sound, interior space, vicersal speed.

After being around his car and looking at the almost 20k more I paid, makes me think about my decision a little bit but I still love the vette. I would consider going to a ZL1 if some deals start happening in the next year....

Last edited by Zap City; 12-27-2016 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (01-28-2023)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 AM
zstreet86
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The back seats in these new camaros are USELESS. No way you you fit a car seat. Just get a real family car for the wife.
woodsguy (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

A base Vette is about a second quicker in the 1/4 mile compared to the SS.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

More like 0.4 sec quicker. Interesting page where you can compare the times over the years and models of all Chevrolet models. http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle...-60-mph-times/
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
bigsapper (12-27-2016), T_B (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The Camaro vs Corvette battle has gone on for 50 years and will continue to go on for 50 more hopefully. Actually it is a preference/choice based more on circumstances than reality and facts. Circumstances are age, family status, earnings, wealth, etc.

I started a business in mid 80's. Most of the next 5 years my wife drove a car that had no Reverse in the transmission because we couldn't afford to get the Tranny fixed. Business got better in the late 80's and I decided to move from our late 80's Mustang and Ford SC to Chevrolet buying one of the first Fourth Gen Camaros available in Kalifornia in 1993. The FBody was full boat $20,200. I could afford that. The YBody was $30,000 I could not afford that and as this was going to be our only car I needed those small back seats for a car seat for our youngest. Now in the 90's the business was picking up so in 94 I bought a 94 Corvette Z07 retiring the Camaro from autox and campaigning the Z07 in autox locally. Still I was a businessman and not rich, so I also added a 94 Camaro 1LE, replaced by a 98 1LE in 98. Those I actively campaigned nationally as autox cars mostly in FS. Frankly I was driving and campaigning Camaros because I couldn't pay the freight to do the same with Corvettes. In 98 I bought a Third Gen retired race car to get my competition license quickly building another 93 Camaro into a Camaro/Mustang Challenge race car that I campaigned in N and S California from 98 to 2003-4. Again follow the money. First I couldn't afford to trade paint with others in a Corvette but I could in a Camaro. Good for GM. Also nobody else could either so the Corvette fields were sparse but we ran 20-35 car fields in CMC so everybody had somebody to really race rather than to just circulate on the track. It was a fun affordable (well kinda affordable) class. By 2003 I had picked up a stellar 93 Fortieth Ann Convertible with ZF6 from a friend I have to this day. So as the financial ability grew to do other things it became easier to add Corvettes to the household. The 98 1LE transitioned from a sometimes autox car mostly DD to a full on 402LS2 Track car in 04 when I sold the race car. That is now in Washington being campaigned actively in HPDEs by a friend that owns Audi RS5 and ATS-v but runs the 402 1LE as an affordable track car. Again the Camaro wins out over more expensive cars due to a simple $ reason.

Now I have dropped my competition license and the business is sold so I am a 2 Corvette owner with no Camaros. However I expect that to change as they again are a great performance bang for the buck. Anyone that keeps shouting my Corvette is better than your Camaro simply is protecting his fragile ego. Yes, likely a bit better but when you factor in $/Fun I think the Camaro has nearly always won out except in the 2010-2015 era and there are those that would argue that.

So whichever you drive enjoy it and drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by pkincy; 12-27-2016 at 12:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
SilverGhost (05-09-2017), Zap City (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pkincy
More like 0.4 sec quicker. Interesting page where you can compare the times over the years and models of all Chevrolet models. http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle...-60-mph-times/
Yep, that bears out. I just found a 6th Gen Camaro fast list and averaged their top 10 and our top 10 ... 12.03 vs 11.62
Their best vs our best ... 11.9 vs 11.3
Old 12-27-2016, 12:19 PM
cargun
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2016 2SS along with a C6Z and test drove the Stingray a few times since it came out.

Camaro is a great car, but if money was no object, I probably would have gone Stingray instead. But the driving differences are so small and subtle its difficult to justify the price difference.

First thing you notice parking a Camaro next to the vette is how large the Camaro is in comparison. But this size doesn't seem to translate into interior or cargo room. I give the Vette the win on cargo space. You have to fold the rear seat in the Camaro to fit anything long, like golf clubs.

I like the C7 seats more than the Camaro seats, but the C6 seats are worse. My main complaint on the Camaro seats are lack of backrest recline angle and no adjustable lumbar support.

Not a fan of the flat bottom steering wheel in either. But the Camaro does seem to have better steering feel than the C7. I like the Vette shifter being located closer to the steering wheel rather than in the middle of the console. Electronic parking brakes are stupid in both. Neither vehicle has any interior storage to speak off, but the touch screen cubby kind of gives the Vette a win on that too.

The Camaro is a very solid feeling car, except for the doors. I noticed this on the ATS coupe's too. Vette doors sound much more solid when you close them.

I haven't read the owners manual to see if there's a setting, but I don't like how I have to press the unlock button on the door handle of the Camaro to lock or unlock, I prefer the Vette's proximity based system. Both have a good heads up display, radio interface is the standard Chevy affair in both. "driving aids" in the Camaro suck, assume the ones offered in the Vette are just as bad. Rearview camera is useless at night through the exhaust smoke. Truly government mandated quality rather than a legit feature. I've noticed this in my 2015 Challenger and 2016 Tahoe as well. The 2008 Tahoe and 2010 Lexus camera's seem better. Rear parking sensors are worthless, they go off every time I back out of the garage, so they are super annoying for the first week of owning the car, then I tune out the beeping and don't hear it anymore. Blind spot monitors in the Camaro may be defective? I was driving on the interstate in the rain and they kept going off with no cars anywhere in sight. Some combination of light reflecting back off road signs and the rain in the air perhaps? And I have no faith in them as I ended up coming up an onramp in the Tahoe with a rear bumper about inline with another cars front bumper on the interstate, both doing the same speed and there was zero warning from the blind spot indicator.

So after all that BS, here's what really matters, how they drive! my Camaro has mag ride, and I've tested C7's with and without. I do prefer the handling of the C7 over the Camaro, but both are great. But I like the lower center of gravity feel and the rearward seating position in the Vette gives a unique feel when the rear end starts coming around that I love. But I like the handling of the Camaro much more than even the C6Z if that tells you how good it is! Truly a brilliant car. I've only had a short drive of a GT350, but I think I like the Camaro handling even more. Camaro rotates the rear end under power great and is a fairly neutral car. Stability control and traction control programing on both cars seems very, very good.

On the interstate, I'm very tolerant of sporty cars, so I don't notice a great difference in comfort between the two. I've heard people that are more sensitive say the Camaro does ride a bit better, but haven't not spend enough time in a C7 with mag ride set on tour to offer a fair comparison (I mean really, who test drives a C7 with it set in tour?!?!?!)

Camaro seems really well planted and can put the power down great. It feels like it hooks better than the Vettes, not sure if it's weight or weight transfer, maybe a bit of both. Love the low end LT1 torque (and the LS7 of course), it feels great in both cars. I agree with everyone's assessment that the Camaro doesn't "feel" slower than the C7 even though it should be because of the extra weight. And the car mag times are pretty close. Everything I've driven has been a manual transmission, so I can't comment on the autos. Love the rev match and no-lift shift in both! Haven't had trouble finding a gear in either, both shifters are easier to row than my Z which takes a deliberate effort to go 4-5.

So in summary, I think the C7 and Camaro are so close you could legitimately compare the two cars and not factor in price until the last moment. But for me, the Vette will always win because it's a true sports car in looks, proportions, and feel, even if the Camaro is the best darn pony car I've ever driven and a legit option to other "sedan" type sporty cars (M4, AMG's, Audi's, GT350, etc.).
The following 2 users liked this post by cargun:
911Hunter (01-28-2023), VY427 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:40 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a 2016 Camaro SS with a stick.
Had to dump it after 2 months because the visibility is so terrible, the car is a death trap.
I just didn't realize how dangerous the car was during the brief test drive before I bought it.
Considering the Camaro is based on the ATS, and the ATS has great visibility and room inside,
the Camaro team should all be terminated by GM for their incompetence.
The performance doesn't matter if you can't see out of the car.

As far as the Camaro's back seat and trunk, they are both absolutely worthless.
Even for small children.

I replaced the Camaro with a SS Sedan as my daily driver.
I couldn't be more happy.
Good luck.

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 12-27-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Timohio
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove a 2016 2ss before buying the vette and it was definately a great car. At the time the camaro had just came out and discounts were very small compared to the vette that was in its 3rd year. The camaro was easier to enter and exit but I did not care for the humps in the dash. It may have been a problem for the wife. The back seat has also became a joke at this point. But for a car retailing in the 40 thousand range it does offer great looks, sound and was a close second choice.
911Hunter (01-28-2023)
Old 12-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I test drove a '17 2SS Camaro Coupe with a 6 speed manual and dual mode exhaust. I was very impressed with the performance, handling, sound and ride. In addition to having the same engine as the Stingray/GS, you have Rev match on the manual transmission, 4 driving modes, MSRC as an option and many features that the Corvette has. Personally, I think it is a great alternative to the Corvette. If I didn't get the great deal that I got on my '16 Stingray... the Camaro 2SS would have been mine!
911Hunter (01-28-2023)
Old 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cargun
The Camaro is a very solid feeling car, except for the doors. I noticed this on the ATS coupe's too. Vette doors sound much more solid when you close them.
I agree with most of your statements but this one is just plain wrong. One of the first things i noticed when i went form my 6th gen SS to a C7 was how much more solid the doors(and the car overall) on that Camaro were. Corvette doors feel like what they're made out of(basically plastic). Oh and i also didn't have to slam my doors or lower the windows a little just to get them to close properly like i have to do with this Vette.

[QUOTE=cargun;1593741377]
I haven't read the owners manual to see if there's a setting, but I don't like how I have to press the unlock button on the door handle of the Camaro to lock or unlock, I prefer the Vette's proximity based system. QUOTE]

6th gen Camaro has this. A fully loaded Camaro comes with much more features than the vette. When it comes to features/gadgets, there is nothing the vette has that the camaro doesnt.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:00 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Timohio
but I did not care for the humps in the dash.
I agree, worst part of that cars interior for sure.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bigsapper
Yep, that bears out. I just found a 6th Gen Camaro fast list and averaged their top 10 and our top 10 ... 12.03 vs 11.62
Their best vs our best ... 11.9 vs 11.3
Please post links to these lists you reference. Curious to confirm that it is indeed a base car tested as opposed to a Z51. Hard as I tried, the only base car i could find was a vert on www.zeroto60times.com and it tested at 3.8 and 12.0 respectively. The 2016 SS with auto is listed at 3.9 and 12.3. Thats a long way from a second advantage in the quarter.

Last edited by Zap City; 12-27-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Our fast list is tacked in the tech sub forum. The Camaro list is tacked in the drag sub forum on camaro6.com.

There's no practical difference in straight line performance of the base vs Z51.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:39 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I did acknowledge that there is less than a sec difference. Until I found that Camaro fast list I had not seen better than 12.2 for that car. There's also an apparently huge gap in performance between the auto and manual for that platform.

Get notified of new replies

To Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison

Old 12-27-2016, 03:21 PM
big red one
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my first Corvette (2016 C7 Z51) in May this year and thought i was amazing compared to the Mustang I had before. However, my son bought a new SS in October and I must admit, although i love the look of the C7, i would have gone for the SS if i had realised how good it was going to be for the $.
The following 2 users liked this post by big red one:
911Hunter (01-28-2023), T_B (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by upcharger
... but they absolutely suck compared to corvettes. it is what it is

The following 2 users liked this post by cor66vette:
T_B (12-27-2016), Zap City (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 PM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If I may chime in.... I purchased the new redesigned Mustang in 2015 because I didn't care for the last generation Camaro... I had a bunch of issues with the Stang and was considering trading it for a new generation 2016 Camaro... but while I liked the way the Camaro handled the interior felt snug, couldn't see out of the thing and I felt the shifter lacked feedback... I was never really impressed enough with it to switch over. I actually felt the Mustang was designed better for a daily driver...a few months later, I happened to take out a Corvette for a test ride and it was amazing... completely different beast (IMO of course) I worked out a great deal on the spot and drove it home 2 days later... The moral to the story... there is Monday Cars, Friday cars and the ones that are built mid week... lol,, maybe you got a bad Vette ... one built on a Friday?.. I know my Mustang drove me nuts... but other guys swear by them...

Last edited by dbintegrity; 12-27-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Zap City (12-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison