Old 12-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison

Merry Christmas,

I was wondering if any C7 owners have seat time / own a 2016+ 6 Gen Camaro SS (with the LT1 Engine).

With baby plans in the nearer future it seems like it would be good as a secondary car for her and another 1 in my stable.

My questions - Is the power nearly identical to a C7 even though it weighs more? How does it handle compared to the C7... from the mag and online articles everyone seems to really like the car and compare it heavily to the M4.

A couple dealers offered me a CPO 16' with 3-5k miles on them for around $30K - seems like a steal for performance and the interior is quite nice.

Looking over at the Camaro forum several members have run high 11s and 12.0 times especially with the A8 which is what I would get.

Last edited by Z0Sick6; 12-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:19 PM
dudman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have baby plans you may want to consider a Tahoe. Unbelievable how much stuff you have to haul around with newborns. I don't own a 6 gen Camaro but I looked hard at them. Couldn't even get my golf clubs in the trunk without putting the back seat down. Really small but ran and drove good. Not like the vette though. There is a reason the vette costs a lot more.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 PM
jacksnorm
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The gen6 Camaro is a heck of a bang for buck. Saying that there is nothing like owning a C7 Corvette when comparing prices of other sports cars.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (07-13-2023)
Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe bbrown450 has quite a bit of experience with C7 and 16 SS. You may want to PM him...
GLWP
Old 12-25-2016, 02:17 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

With a growing family, the F body lets you keep a performance car with a little more room. Particularly if you are a one car family. If a 2 car family, I would lean towards that Tahoe/Truck/idea. My wife has a CMax and it will carry nearly as much as my Silverado when we have to travel and gets 40 mpg on regular gas to boot. Now when you get up to a 4-7 car family a Vette and a Camaro or two makes a lot of sense. Been through all that and am now back to an empty nester situation and down to 4 cars and don't have a Camaro along with a Vette for the first time in 23 years.

And that very likely will change once I see a ZL1 with a 20% discount.

Last edited by pkincy; 12-25-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I have a 4 door amg c43 and she has a Lexus NX f sport. my c7 z06 is on its way after being vetteless for last 1.5 years. thus thinking of adding something sporty but with backseat albeit small ...for her or when I wanna take everyone out and have some power
Old 12-25-2016, 06:29 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know im probably going to get blitzed for this but here it goes ....

I had a 2016 2SS for about a year and imo was a much better car than my C7. If i can go back, i would.

Way more fun to drive. Felt stronger/quicker, sounded meaner, much better handling, had waaaay more features/gadgets (lane change indicator, rear sensors, heated side mirror's etc). And it was also put together better, nowhere near as many problems as my C7(panel gaps, windshield delamination, paint issues, moisture/water streaks in headlamps, etc). To be honest, this cars been quite the headache for me. So imho, you can get a better car for less with the 2SS.

Last edited by T_B; 12-25-2016 at 06:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by T_B:
911Hunter (01-28-2023), SilverGhost (05-09-2017), Zap City (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Niemienator
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
With a growing family, the F body lets you keep a performance car with a little more room. Particularly if you are a one car family. If a 2 car family, I would lean towards that Tahoe/Truck/idea. My wife has a CMax and it will carry nearly as much as my Silverado when we have to travel and gets 40 mpg on regular gas to boot. Now when you get up to a 4-7 car family a Vette and a Camaro or two makes a lot of sense. Been through all that and am now back to an empty nester situation and down to 4 cars and don't have a Camaro along with a Vette for the first time in 23 years.

And that very likely will change once I see a ZL1 with a 20% discount.
If I was to get rid of the GS - 17 or 18 ZL1 10 Spd Auto, Recaros..... Lighter, faster shifting and hopefully none of high track temps I experienced w my 15 ZL1.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:05 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
I know im probably going to get blitzed for this but here it goes ....

I had a 2016 2SS for about a year and imo was a much better car than my C7. If i can go back, i would.

Way more fun to drive. Felt stronger/quicker, sounded meaner, much better handling, had waaaay more features/gadgets (lane change indicator, rear sensors, heated side mirror's etc). And it was also put together better, nowhere near as many problems as my C7(panel gaps, windshield delamination, paint issues, moisture/water streaks in headlamps, etc). To be honest, this cars been quite the headache for me. So imho, you can get a better car for less with the 2SS.
I guess it depends on the model of C7 trim you opted for. My car has everything you listed except lane departure. And there ain't no way a camaro handles better then a vette.

But that being said I like camaros, I've owned 3. But no way I'm going back to one after owning 2 vettes.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 PM
rfhall11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A base Vette garners more respect than a high end Camaro. Something about a Vette that says you've arrived.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:23 PM
T_B
Instructor

I've owned/own both. The new Camaro handles much better. This car never just never wants to stay straight when really getting on it.

Also, which trim package gives you the back up sensors and side mirror defrosters? You just get more for less with the Camaro. Just as powerful and you can get fully loaded for around $40k.

Last edited by T_B; 12-25-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:24 PM
T_B
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfhall11
A base Vette garners more respect than a high end Camaro. Something about a Vette that says you've arrived.
Yea right. More respect from who? the pretentious?
The following 2 users liked this post by T_B:
cor66vette (12-27-2016), Zap City (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 09:39 PM
rfhall11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T_B
Yea right. More respect from who? the pretentious?
I've had a couple pretty nice Camaros that really didn't generate much attention. Then I got a Vette and many compliments. Strangers stop me frequently to talk about it. Not so much with the Camaros
woodsguy (12-27-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 10:35 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I've had a couple pretty nice Camaros that really didn't generate much attention. Then I got a Vette and many compliments. Strangers stop me frequently to talk about it. Not so much with the Camaros
So, this may be stirring the pot, and that really isn't my goal here, but who cares if strangers stop to talk to you? Or notice? Or whatever? Sometimes it's cool, but honestly sometimes it's kinda annoying, depending a lot upon the stranger. I guess sometimes strangers are well, STRANGE.
The following 3 users liked this post by mdiiulio:
DAC17 (12-26-2016), joeybsyc (12-26-2016), Zepp (05-14-2017)
Old 12-25-2016, 10:57 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

cameros are cool, fast and have awesome lineage... but they absolutely suck compared to corvettes. it is what it is
The following 2 users liked this post by upcharger:
cwing85b (12-25-2016), woodsguy (12-27-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 11:18 PM
T_B
Instructor

You mean they are more eye-catching(far from
"respect"), to which i agree. But i still think the new Camaro looks much meaner and more aggressive.

Here's my old baby ...

Last edited by T_B; 12-25-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by upcharger
cameros are cool, fast and have awesome lineage... but they absolutely suck compared to corvettes. it is what it is
May I ask what qualifies you to make this statement about the gen6 cars? Not a flame- sincerely asking. I second what T-B asserts after 6 months and 5K miles with a 16 2SS that was nicely equipped with mag ride, MN6 and NPP. I added Gen5 Z28 repro wheels in 20" sizes. The car was killer and there are times I really regret letting it go for my GS. The steering feel was fantastic, as was the shifter. The car just drove like glass it was so smooth. Power was killer too and the fit and finish was amazing- car was super tight, not so much so with my GS. The electronic were first rate too. Seems there is a lot of vette elitism going on in regards to the new Camaros. I suspect a good percentage of these perceptions are left over from the older camaros. I've said it in other threads, but I'd take a 2SS over a base vette any day. In actuality with discounts there is still about a $7K to $9K spread between the cars before tax. And there is an intangible about the car that makes it probably the most fun car I've ever driven. Take it for what its worth, this is just my opinion, but I am resolute that it's an informed one. I'd say go take a good long test drive OP and make your decision.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zap City:
911Hunter (01-28-2023), joeybsyc (12-26-2016), Zepp (05-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison

Old 12-26-2016, 12:56 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

No reason to question a guy that is expressing his strongly felt opinion. Everybody gets to have one even if he has nothing to compare it to. Nice Camaro by the way. I got driven away from the FBodies when the Fifth Gen came in so heavy. But with the Sixth Gen being lighter than the Fifth and the C7 being heavier albeit nicer than the C6 I likely will add a Camaro sometime soon as more of a DD.
911Hunter (01-28-2023)
Old 12-26-2016, 01:32 AM
The Admiralty
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I was THIS close to picking up a Gen6 2SS w/ MSRC before I got a much better deal on my Z51. I was able to drive both models essentially back-to-back within the span of 3 days, and my impressions are as follows: the Z51 felt much more nimble and natural than the SS -- not to say the SS wallowed, but it felt heavier than the Z51 even though it was was very rapid and responsive to any driver input (i.e. even though it turned on a dime and had great brakes, it always felt like there was a lot of momentum being shifted around, it always felt like a BIG car albeit an agile one, which was far from the sensation of the Z51 being a natural extension of my mind and body); the Z51's speed and acceleration sneak up on me while the SS felt like it was rocketing whenever I dropped the hammer (i.e. I end up going faster than I realize in the Z51, while the SS had that stereotypical "smash your back into the seats oh my God something's gonna go wrong" kind of muscle car sensation of acceleration haha); the Z51 has much better visibility than the SS (particular forward and side visibility, although the SS gets honorable mention for its wide side mirrors!); I find the Z51 to have a much better interior, both in terms of materials and overall aesthetics, i.e. it feels more "exotic" and premium than the SS (the hard plastics in the SS were a bit of a turn-off, and the disco lights were kinda gimmicky albeit fun); the SS NPP exhaust sounds louder and "*braaaappp*ier" in the cockpit than the Z51's more sterling note, but everyone that's heard both from the outside say the Z51 is louder by far; the Z51 trunk space is much more generous than the SS; I personally like both the GT and Competition seats better than the SS's seats, but I'm a leaner, more athletic guy that appreciates tighter side bolsters (I haven't had a chance to try the 1LE's Recaro seats yet); I felt like I got more attention in the Z51 (both good and bad) than in the SS (unlike I was smashing the throttle on it); I actually really like the Z51's targa top but I hate the SS's sunroof (it is very claustrophobic for me when it's closed; I'm much more comfortable in the standard-roofed SS but there goes any open-top experiences haha); there feels like a slight hitch in the SS's accelerator, like it takes a split second for the throttle to respond whenever you jab the gas pedal -- a sensation that's non-existent in the Z51.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Z51, but if I had gotten as good a deal on a 2SS as my Z51, I would probably own a 2SS right now instead. In a strange way, I'm kinda glad I didn't find a good deal on a 2SS set up the way I like it though haha!
911Hunter (07-13-2023)
Old 12-26-2016, 08:17 AM
VY427
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
May I ask what qualifies you to make this statement about the gen6 cars? Not a flame- sincerely asking. I second what T-B asserts after 6 months and 5K miles with a 16 2SS that was nicely equipped with mag ride, MN6 and NPP. I added Gen5 Z28 repro wheels in 20" sizes. The car was killer and there are times I really regret letting it go for my GS. The steering feel was fantastic, as was the shifter. The car just drove like glass it was so smooth. Power was killer too and the fit and finish was amazing- car was super tight, not so much so with my GS. The electronic were first rate too. Seems there is a lot of vette elitism going on in regards to the new Camaros. I suspect a good percentage of these perceptions are left over from the older camaros. I've said it in other threads, but I'd take a 2SS over a base vette any day. In actuality with discounts there is still about a $7K to $9K spread between the cars before tax. And there is an intangible about the car that makes it probably the most fun car I've ever driven. Take it for what its worth, this is just my opinion, but I am resolute that it's an informed one. I'd say go take a good long test drive OP and make your decision.
Good post. Though I haven't driven a Gen6 Camaro, my father had a Gen5 back in 2010. I was quite surprised at how nicely that car drove and how solid if felt (more solid feeling than my '16 Z51). The new car must really be something. Next car, I'm seriously considering a ZL1. I don't care if others consider a Camaro a downgrade from a Corvette. Actually, I doubt it costs GM that much more to build a Corvette than a Camaro. All that said, I can appreciate the Corvette's advantages in terms of its front-mid-engine, aluminum frame design and lower weight. The Gen6 Alpha unibody platform Camaro has certainly narrowed the gap, however.
Zap City (12-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Any C7 owners own a 6Gen Camaro SS? Looking for a comparison