Sponsored by:

Do I need a Catch Can? 2017 Dry Sump

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:05 PM
\rlk/
Heel & Toe

Received 31 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need a Catch Can? 2017 Dry Sump

New owner here someone told me the 2017 dry sump engines alresdy have a catch can built in. Is this true?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Not that I have seen. The only stock car I have seen with a catch can is the new Camaro's and it is more of a separator than a can.

By law (emissions) they can't really put a can on the cars as they have to process all of the oil vapors and burn with the cats. Yes it is a good idea to do if you want to keep oil out of the intake system.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:30 PM
\rlk/
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Not that I have seen. The only stock car I have seen with a catch can is the new Camaro's and it is more of a separator than a can.

By law (emissions) they can't really put a can on the cars as they have to process all of the oil vapors and burn with the cats. Yes it is a good idea to do if you want to keep oil out of the intake system.
Well I read somewhere that a catch can or separator was added to the dry sump engines for 2017.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

From Ask Tadge: "The Corvette's dry sump tank looks relatively simple on the outside but the internals are really quite complex. The top third of the tank contains a PCV air/oil separation system"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...te-engine.html

Originally Posted by \rlk/
New owner here someone told me the 2017 dry sump engines alresdy have a catch can built in. Is this true?
The following users liked this post:
BOBSZ06 (01-01-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM
SCorvette08
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Catch can

what i get out of mine every 1000 Miles when i drain it is pretty significant so im glad i have one
JerryU (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:27 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Since i learned about watching my oil level early in the game i have had little trouble with oil showing up in my intake.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Since i learned about watching my oil level early in the game i have had little trouble with oil showing up in my intake.
FWIW, It's not oil you'll necessarily see in the intake, it goes to the back of the intake valve and bakes (called coking!) At best, what Tadge said is some caking is acceptable. Depends on if you think carbon build-up in the back of the intake valves is a problem! Some of us feel like those who think fingerprints on their door handle and hatch is a big problem (I don't!) Coking will, as a minimum, at some point cause a reduction in power. If you never put your foot to the floor, you won't feel the loss!

That crackcase oil vapor and other "stuff" goes thought the PCV hose to the intake. A "catch can" catches some of that stuff! What percentage is caught-I don't know. I remove some "stuff" periodically from my "catch can." Better removed than going into the intake, IMO. Before DI, gasoline with cleaning additives washed the oil residue away. With DI no gasoline passes the backs of the hot intake valves so it bakes on!

GM or the EPA could never allow a "catch can" to be installed as it must be emptied periodically. Many folks don't even check oil level when they should! What would they do with the collected oil? (I change my own oil so put that collected in my catch can into that 15 gallon container and dump in our local SC waist disposal location when I change oil. Would everyone?)

If the oil and "stuff" is not removed from the can, Tadge was correct, it could cause a problem. For those who want to use that excuse to avoid adding one-sobeit! I elected to add one and glad I did.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-29-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Muzzy (01-04-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Rather than get into a long debate about whether it is good or not to have one....Let me say this. If you intend to make this C7 your LAST Corvette, by all means I think the "catch can" is the way to go....but most of us trade every 4 - 5- 6 years with no more than 30 - 40 thousand miles if that. In that case, installing a catch can is not warranted. IMHO As a added note....this debate has gone on since the C5. I traded my 02 for my 08 with 22,000 miles....my 08 with 31,000.

Last edited by obxchartercaptain; 12-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by obxchartercaptain:
beaversstonehaven (12-29-2016), Boiler_81 (12-29-2016), RFBHD (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Rather than get into a long debate about whether it is good or not to have one....Let me say this. If you intend to make this C7 your LAST Corvette, by all means I think the "catch can" is the way to go....but most of us trade every 4 - 5- 6 years with no more than 30 - 40 thousand miles if that. In that case, installing a catch can is not warranted. IMHO As a added note....this debate has gone on since the C5. I traded my 02 for my 08 with 22,000 miles....my 08 with 31,000.
Most of us Corvette buyers are going to be dead before we ever get enough miles on the car for valve caking to be an issue.... so ill let my grandson deal with it
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 AM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

I installed a ported intake at 8,000 miles. Amount of coking was alarming for that few miles. However, my dealer overfilled by a quart at my first oil change even after I instructed them to only put in 9 quarts, and of course they put in 10 quarts so I am sure I ran a good 1/2 quart right through the intake. I think a catch can is prudent if you are going to keep the car a few years:
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Most of us Corvette buyers are going to be dead before we ever get enough miles on the car for valve caking to be an issue.... so ill let my grandson deal with it
Hmm, 1st a C5 (and my C6) had port injection and gasoline with cleaning additives washed the oil ingested from the PCV system from the back of the valves before it baked on!

Like folks who get all concerned about finger prints on their door and hatch and devise ways to avoid it (some carry a microfiber rag in their pocket, some use their shirt, some only close the door by the chrome latch etc)- I could care less about finger prints BUT do think about the caked on carbon building on my valves! Look up other high performance engines that started using DI before the C7. In fact some of their engines have even multiple smaller intake valves that may not get as hot as the large C7 vales, etc. Ferrari, Porsche BMW are concerned. No simple solution and GM engineering is great but they can't change the laws of physics! A catch can can help.

Your car, your choice but can't justify it as "it's not needed, IMO!"

This is an old Shell ad, again only effective with port injection or a carb, i.e. C6 and prior Vettes! Can't do a thing for a C7 DI engine as ZERO gas passes over the intake valves!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Muzzy (01-04-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:27 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, 1st a C5 (and my C6) had port injection and gasoline with cleaning additives washed the oil from the PCV system from the back of the vales before in baked on!

Like folks who get all concerned about finger prints on their door and hatch ans devie ways to avoid it (some carry a microfiber rag in their pocket, some use their shrt etc- I could care less about finger prints BUT do think about the "stuff" building on my valves! Look up other high performance engines that stated using DI before the C&. In fact most have even smaller valves that may not get as hot etc. Ferrari and Porsche are concerned. No simple solution and GM engineering is great but they can't change the laws of physics!

Your car your choice but can't justify it as it's not needed!

This is an old Shell ad, again only effective with port injection or a carb! Can't do a thing for a DI engine as ZERO gas passes over the intake valves!
If you go to the C5 & C6 forums and do a search you will find many many many threads on "Catch Cans" I am not debating the fact that the DI engine is different ... but PCV has been around a LONG time. And, in my opinion if you trade your car every 4 to 8 years with less than 50, 60,000 or more miles....A Catch Can doesn't do a thing for you.
Steve_R (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Damned straight.

My Z uses so little oil it isn't noticeable on the dip stick. Even the GM Recommended half quart overfill for track duty doesn't noticeably drop over two days of high rpm fun. My C5s and C6Z would use about a quart a day while at the track. Over the year I have had the 15 Z I have only had to top off the oil once. This may be my last Vette but at 5K miles per year any oil coking problems won't show up for another 15 years.

Bill
Dcasole (04-15-2020)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

The problem is you have all these catch can companies saying to install their can or have major issues. People buy in to the fear.
The following 3 users liked this post by h3mpking:
Biker 911 (04-14-2020), Dcasole (04-15-2020), Steve_R (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

If you go to the C5 & C6 forums and do a search you will find many many many threads on "Catch Cans" I am not debating the fact that the DI engine is different ... but PCV has been around a LONG time. And, in my opinion if you trade your car every 4 to 8 years with less than 50, 60,000 or more miles....A Catch Can doesn't do a thing for you.
and according to a couple of posts GM has denied warranty on the engine because of this modification ...... with all the "fake news" not sure how true it is..... but for me its not worth it to take that risk.. I have a ZO6 and per the Elite install sheet you have to drill a hole under the super charger and make it bigger.... no way gm is going to let that go
obxchartercaptain (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, 1st a C5 (and my C6) had port injection and gasoline with cleaning additives washed the oil ingested from the PCV system from the back of the valves before it baked on!

Like folks who get all concerned about finger prints on their door and hatch and devise ways to avoid it (some carry a microfiber rag in their pocket, some use their shirt, some only close the door by the chrome latch etc)- I could care less about finger prints BUT do think about the caked on carbon building on my valves! Look up other high performance engines that started using DI before the C7. In fact some of their engines have even multiple smaller intake valves that may not get as hot as the large C7 vales, etc. Ferrari, Porsche BMW are concerned. No simple solution and GM engineering is great but they can't change the laws of physics! A catch can can help.

Your car, your choice but can't justify it as "it's not needed, IMO!"

This is an old Shell ad, again only effective with port injection or a carb, i.e. C6 and prior Vettes! Can't do a thing for a C7 DI engine as ZERO gas passes over the intake valves!
The funny thing about all of those references is they don't mention any GM DI engines. GM has put at least several hundred thousand of them on the road since 2007 and valve coking isn't a big discussion when it comes to problems with those engines. Some of those engines probably have several hundred thousand miles on them now. I talked to several mechanics at the dealerships where these cars were sold and maintained and they said they hadn't had to service a car with a problem due to valve coking. They have replaced a lot of V6 DI engine timing chains (which seems to be the major customer dissatisfaction especially when the timing chain takes out the engine).

Even Consumer Reports in their 2015 report on DI and its advantages/disadvantages stated that not all DI engines are affected by valve coking.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Foosh (12-29-2016), Steve_R (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 01:32 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

There is also the warranty consideration. GM has denied warranty for engine failure due to catch cans. If you do have one, I would think it would be in your best interest to remove it prior to going in for GM service work.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need a Catch Can? 2017 Dry Sump

Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

No way am I going to take a risk on installing a catch-can on my LT1. It does seem to make people feel better to find a little oil in it once they've installed one, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence that it's useful on this engine. There is a fair amount of credible info suggesting that they are not necessary or useful on an LT1 dry sump engine.

I think Bill Dearborn said it best above.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-29-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
\rlk/
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Boiler_81

There is also the warranty consideration. GM has denied warranty for engine failure due to catch cans. If you do have one, I would think it would be in your best interest to remove it prior to going in for GM service work.
Well if true this is the real answer for not having one.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

It has happened on a Camaro https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

Well if true this is the real answer for not having one.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Catch Can? 2017 Dry Sump