Sponsored by:

Oil dipstick reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:47 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Oil dipstick reading

Had an oil/filter service on my 2014 non Z51 base C7. Instructed the Tech to add only 6.5 qts. I planned to add the other .5 qt at home the next day after checking dipstick reading. Much to my surprise the dipstick showed full. Is this a normal reading with 6.5 qts. Manual calls for 7qts with filter.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ETHYL
Had an oil/filter service on my 2014 non Z51 base C7. Instructed the Tech to add only 6.5 qts. I planned to add the other .5 qt at home the next day after checking dipstick reading. Much to my surprise the dipstick showed full. Is this a normal reading with 6.5 qts. Manual calls for 7qts with filter.
I change my own oil and have noticed the same thing.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

What that generally means is that a tech didn't allow enough time to completely drain the system before refilling. It's only a potential issue if it causes it to be overfilled.

That's one of the reasons I am insistent that the service dept. only fill w/ 9qts. instead of the recommended 10qts. on my dry sump LT1.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Originally Posted by Foosh
What that generally means is that a tech didn't allow enough time to completely drain the system before refilling. It's only a potential issue if it causes it to be overfilled.

That's one of the reasons I am insistent that the service dept. only fill w/ 9qts. instead of the recommended 10qts. on my dry sump LT1.
it was draining for about 5 minutes. Difficult to believe .5 qt left.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

It's not really difficult to believe at all. It takes quite some time for all the oil to make it's way back to the oil pan.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:59 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

The OP is talking about a wet-sump.

Is the OP sure they changed the filter? Was the car at the optimal angle to drain (did they jack it up on one side)?

FWIW, overfilling is not nearly the concern for wet-sump cars as it is dry-sump cars. Not saying it's optimal to overfill by .5 qt. for most driving, but it certainly won't cause problems in the short term, unlike overfilling a dry-sump can cause almost immediately.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I know. 6.5 quarts was a dead give-away.

Wet sump or dry, it still takes more than 5 minutes for ALL of the oil to drain from all the nooks and crannies of the engine back to the oil pan. The drain angle is also a factor.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Oil temp will make a marked difference in drain times, as well.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

That dipstick is the worlds worst ....
Old 01-01-2017, 08:17 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Originally Posted by owc6
The OP is talking about a wet-sump.

Is the OP sure they changed the filter? Was the car at the optimal angle to drain (did they jack it up on one side)?

FWIW, overfilling is not nearly the concern for wet-sump cars as it is dry-sump cars. Not saying it's optimal to overfill by .5 qt. for most driving, but it certainly won't cause problems in the short term, unlike overfilling a dry-sump can cause almost immediately.
Service was performed over a pit (not jiffy lub or any outfit like that)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,615 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Service was performed over a pit (not jiffy lub or any outfit like that)
The 2014 Service Manual clearly says the volume chart is only an estimate and that the level is the key and must be checked. In my dry sump I use about 1/4 to 3/8 quart less than the volume indicated (not counting the 1/2 quart under max that I intentionally set the level.) Some is no doubt left in lines, rocker arms etc. I wait ~10 minutes and little if any oil is dripping from the two plugs. I also heat up the oil before draining, something a dealer's mechanics helper may not do. Have done all my own changes in 3+ years with the rear jacked as well as the front!

I have always used level NOT a volume estimate in the 50+ years I have been changing my own oil! In a dry sump that requires running the engine to get the oil hot, then waiting 5 minutes after the engine is shut off but not more than 10 (so oil that drains back to the pan isn't excessive causing a false low reading.) That is more time than some mechanic's helper operating the oil change bay will take!

Side Bar: When I assembled the 502/502 create motor for my street rod I encountered a "Catch 22" in regard to estimated oil quantity! The Chevy instructions did NOT provide a oil volume estimate! They said fill to the level indicated on the dip stick. I have long tube headers and the metal dip stick provided with the engine would not fit! I bought a Lokar dipstick that had a small round billet aluminum **** and a nylon dipstick that you cut and fit to the to the max level desired! Had to cut off the metal handle on the supplied dip stick, bend it to insert and use needle nose pliers to pull it out to check the oil level! Then measured and fit the Lokar dipstick!

When changing oil, some residual will be left in the engine. Rocker arms and top of the cylinder head are some spots.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-02-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil dipstick reading

Quick Reply: Oil dipstick reading