C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question - New car, paid cash, did finance paperwork - why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Question - New car, paid cash, did finance paperwork - why?

Greetings,

This has been gnawing at me for almost a year. I have a question for the group.

Last year, I paid cash for my 2016 C7. The price was great, and I had a little extra cash to spare. However, during the course of the transaction, the dealer insisted that I fill out the necessary paperwork to finance the car. "...just in case your check does not clear."

My question is simple. Since I paid cash for the car, I never financed or even made one payment (the check cleared...duh. and the contract was voided). However, did the dealership make any money on creating a finance deal? Any kickbacks? Any incentives from the bank? Did they gain anything from the deal. Or, were they legitimately covering their butts?

Don't get me wrong...I understand taking a personal check for a ~$65,000 item and the check bounces is a very risky proposition. Yes, I guess I could have said, I'll pick up the car when the check clears. Oh, before you ask, they said, "we'd do the same if it were a cashier's check."

Just curious and thanks in advance for your response.

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
roadcandy
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Former USMC
Greetings,

This has been gnawing at me for almost a year. I have a question for the group.

Last year, I paid cash for my 2016 C7. The price was great, and I had a little extra cash to spare. However, during the course of the transaction, the dealer insisted that I fill out the necessary paperwork to finance the car. "...just in case your check does not clear."

My question is simple. Since I paid cash for the car, I never financed or even made one payment (the check cleared...duh. and the contract was voided). However, did the dealership make any money on creating a finance deal? Any kickbacks? Any incentives from the bank? Did they gain anything from the deal. Or, were they legitimately covering their butts?

Don't get me wrong...I understand taking a personal check for a ~$65,000 item and the check bounces is a very risky proposition. Yes, I guess I could have said, I'll pick up the car when the check clears. Oh, before you ask, they said, "we'd do the same if it were a cashier's check."

Just curious and thanks in advance for your response.

Semper Fi
This happened to me a few years back with a Lady I work with. I went with her to help her buy a SantaFe and she clearly told the dealer that she was paying cash and the salesman kept insisting she fill out a credit application. Finally I stood up and shouted loud enough that I could be heard in the showroom what do you not understand about her paying cash and she is NOT filling out a credit application. At that point they tore it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadcandy:
Former USMC (01-03-2017), Skid Row Joe (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I doubt the dealer made any money since the the financing didn't happen. Even if they somehow did it wasn't from you, so why are you still worrying about it?
The following users liked this post:
Former USMC (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

You might want to pull your credit score and see if a loan was issued. Just to be safe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
Former USMC (01-03-2017), ZenicaPA (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:09 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

They are hoping you reconsider paying cash and allow them to write a loan on the deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Ulrich:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:14 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Sometimes they get paid on loan apps, regardless of whether they're used or not.

That being said, I would never give up the info or fill out the app if i'm paying cash.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thunder22:
Former USMC (01-03-2017), ZenicaPA (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve_R
I doubt the dealer made any money since the the financing didn't happen. Even if they somehow did it wasn't from you, so why are you still worrying about it?
Just going through my paperwork for tax purposes and ran across the contract. I'm no longer standing on the "edge."

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Right, it's fairly simple. All you have to do is refuse to fill out a credit application. No dealer is going to give up a sale if you do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
You might want to pull your credit score and see if a loan was issued. Just to be safe.
Maxpowers,

Believe it or not, they said it would not impact my score, however, checking one's score is always useful.

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
They are hoping you reconsider paying cash and allow them to write a loan on the deal.
John,

Yes, or the check bounces...

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Sometimes they get paid on loan apps, regardless of whether they're used or not.

That being said, I would never give up the info or fill out the app if i'm paying cash.
Thunder,

I figured that no one would waste that much time if no incentives were involved; other than protecting themselves.

Be curious to know how many people wrote a personal check and drove a Corvette home, even if they called the local bank.

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
Right, it's fairly simple. All you have to do is refuse to fill out a credit application. No dealer is going to give up a sale if you do that.
Foosh,

You would think...it was just a pain in the butt...and took up way too much time.

Semper Fi
Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Thunder,

I figured that no one would waste that much time if no incentives were involved; other than protecting themselves.

Be curious to know how many people wrote a personal check and drove a Corvette home, even if they called the local bank.

Semper Fi
I paid cash via check as well (Criswell/Mike Furman). No credit app was filled out, but I did have to provide some personal info if memory serves me right for non-export and tax reasons as I bought my car in MD but registered it in NJ.

I doubt anything nefarious happened with your situation if no loan was opened and your credit score wasn't negatively impacted.

Former USMC (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I bought cash. They didn't make me fill out any financing crap. If they would have I would have told them to pound salt and would have walked. It's pretty darn simple, if the check doesn't clear I don't get the car - just like any other transaction I do - why should this be any different?
Former USMC (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

IF OP wrote a check, and wanted to take car before check cleared?
Seems dealer was only attempting to protect their own interests.
If nothing was financed, nothing was made for them.
A kickback, if any, wasn't on your dime.

FWIW IIRC there've been 2 articles posted recently citing dealers who accepted a personal check only to have check bounce, leaving dealer holding the bag. Word's out re personal checks, I'm sure.

After a gnawing year time to let it go, devote 100% of your attention to your beautiful C7. After all, it's paid for.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Former USMC
Racer

Originally Posted by Landru
IF OP wrote a check, and wanted to take car before check cleared?
Seems dealer was only attempting to protect their own interests.
If nothing was financed, nothing was made for them.
A kickback, if any, wasn't on your dime.

FWIW IIRC there've been 2 articles posted recently citing dealers who accepted a personal check only to have check bounce, leaving dealer holding the bag. Word's out re personal checks, I'm sure.

After a gnawing year time to let it go, devote 100% of your attention to your beautiful C7. After all, it's paid for.
Landru,

That's what I was thinking - protecting your own assets.

It's gone - 110% to the car...now, what to do next?

Semper Fi
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

It's gone - 110% to the car...now, what to do next?
What to do next?
Drive it 'til you can't sit any longer!!

It's drop dead beautiful from stem to stern as-is, Sarge.

Get notified of new replies

To Question - New car, paid cash, did finance paperwork - why?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I paid via a certified check. No loan app. No questions about the checks validity.
I'm sure they called the bank to verify funds before letting me drive off with their $109k sticker priced car.

Anyone here remember the Autoland fraud case from the mid 80's? I lived in Springfield and was driving on Rt 22 when I saw a swarm of FBI vehicles pulling into their lot. Turns out, employees were using credit apps to open lines of credit for themselves. Everyone in my family keeps all three credit profiles locked. Good luck stealing our credit!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Thunder,

Semper Fi
In June 2013, I wrote a personal check for my daily driver, a used Mercedes-Benz from the Mercedes-Benz dealer in San Antonio, 300 miles away from my home. I was free to go with the car. They did no checking on the check.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:51 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Thunder22

A Dealer does NOT get paid for a filled out loan app. There are privacy laws that protect the consumer. But you are correct in saying that you should NEVER give up credit info if you are paying cash/check other than your Drivers license...

Quick Reply: Question - New car, paid cash, did finance paperwork - why?