DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
This has been a very positive thread which I started to help and inform others. I've spent MANY hours contributing in this and the parallel C7Z DSC thread which I also started. I really don't want it to take a negative turn due to me.

Your response is missing the point. Joemessman's post had nothing to do with having a shop do the work. He asked the question:

I'm going to have this installed in Escondido Ca when I have my new Z06 in my possession. Does anyone have any experience with Excelsior Motor Sports?

My response was on expending the effort to find info about Excelsior, not on the actual work of installing and setting up the controller.

What is frustrating is when I or others take the time to answer a question only to have it asked again because someone doesn't read the thread or do a search to get their answer.

I previously posted about two or three pages back that Excelsior was an authorized and qualified retailer.

In Post #134 I offered:

A number of people have been waiting for more reviews from DSC Sport controller purchasers. Here's a June 2016 post from respected and highly accomplished Corvette race shop Excelsior Motorsports, http://www.excelsiormotorsports.com/

Having been in racing since my college years while studying Automotive Design, I have since gained over 30 years of racing experience with 10 or more of these years spent collaborating with my late friend Richard Strout of Leading Edge MD, using the Penske Suspension he provided me and many of my clients racecars. The TPC package I have is the DSC Sport Tractive suspension model. The best way I could describe it is very similar in technology to that seen on the BMW S1000RR motorcycle for those who are familiar with motorcycle racing.

Simply put, this package is arguably hard to beat when compared to anything else currently available on the market. The car has just transformed into something I can’t really describe into words. For example, when entering a double switchback at speed. The DSC Tractive allows me to make my transition while upsetting the car and still maintain my original racing line as I intended it.

With the car at just the stock power level as any other C7 Z06, it’s fast, but not as powerful as other cars on the track. In the straights a more powerful car may outrun me, but I can very quickly make up ground in the next corner. During my last track outing at Spring Mountain , I bested a time of 2:27:56 on the 3.4 mile configuration with plenty left in the car. Many thanks to Michael and his team at TPC Racing.

Mike/DSC further expanded on my post about Excelsior in Post #142:

Brian, Kushan at Excelsior Motorsports
1324 Industrial Ave. Suite B
Escondido CA 92029 is a real sharp guy good with setup lots of DSC experience at the track. He has tuned our dampers as well. I don't know how far that is from you but let me know if that helps.

My intent was not to be an ***....

Rick

P.S. FWIW, to answer your question, yes I did do the setup and install on my car myself.
Thanks for starting the thread.

I apologize if I misunderstood the intent of your post.

I too have 30 years+ of race engineering experience in both chassis and power units. I've been fortunate to work with top level teams in both NASCAR and Indy Car.

I reacted the way I did because I feel we should be encouraging those with less experience who are eager to learn rather than shutting them down.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-02-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
With 6500 miles now it seems to only do this when first out for a drive before everything warms up.
Based on this statement, and that it got "better" as you adjusted air pressure, I'm going to suggest that your cold tires are slightly flat spotted, and that's what you are feeling. Once they get warmed-up, the flat spots work themselves out.
Dif (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Install and review :)

Originally Posted by Foosh
Prepare to be amazed!
wellll, I installed the DSC Controller a few hours ago and went for a drive

And as you can guess, ... I AM AMAZED
Thank you Foosh, rikhek, and DSC Sport for everything.

I literally noticed a difference just backing out my driveway and going 200 feet to the main road at the end of my street.
Went for a 20 mile drive down the highway, which where I am in MA has lots of bridge over passes and rough spots.
My Son came with me and even noticed the difference as a passenger.
As we were rolling along we were talking and a few times I wasn't paying attention as we talked.
Couple times it took me a a few seconds to realize we just went over sharp bridge expansions and I didn't even realize it.
The car soaked up the sharp imperfections in the road almost as if they weren't there.

For those wondering if the car now rides like a Marshmallow bouncing down the road, ... it doesn't.
It rides smoother, yet still totally planted and controlled like it was before installing the DSC Controller.

I drive this stretch of highway all the time and know all the bumps and rough spots.
Now it's as if they're not even there in most cases, and the rougher spots are no where near as drastic going over them.

When heading back home on this particular area of highway, there's one particular bridge overpass, and for some reason the State hasn't resurfaced it in a few years.
Instead, they keep Patching it.
It's about 300 feet of total patches of asphalt and cement covering every inch of the expansion, and each patch is a lump.
There's even a Sign at one end Warning drivers " Rough Road Ahead "

Shortly after is my exit which is a 360 loop bringing me back up over the highway, and that short over pass is all Cement with all Patches and, .. expansion crevices.
I had the car in Sport mode all this time and didn't realize it.
The car took both spots better than it used to in Tour mode with the OEM Controller.
And when I get to that spot on the exit over pass, I usually put the pedal down because there's a 600 foot stretch of straight road before I need to shut it down.
It rolled over that short rough patch under hard acceleration like it wasn't there.

Anyone wondering if this DSC Controller is worth getting, I'd have to say Yes.
And rikhek and Foosh are not exaggerating when they say how nice the improvement is.
I'll say YMMV to cover my butt ... but I don't' think I need to and I haven't even fully tested it yet.

As for Remove and Install: it "is" Plug and Play.
It took about 2 hours and completing the job taking into consideration getting everything ready, Tools, Jack to remove wheel, and "head lamp," ( which I recommend using ) .
I also took pictures step by step and say it is a little Tricky getting the OEM Controller out being a first time thing.
But, it's then rather easy putting the DSC Controller back in and buttoning every up.

It will take me a while, but will try to post back when I can after the pictures are marked up with Arrows and Text to show what I ran into with the Tricky parts.
Should help make it easier for some of you other DIY'ers

That's all for now and don't think my grin will be gone for a while

Last edited by Dif; 02-03-2017 at 10:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dif:
cheapthrills (02-05-2017), Foosh (02-04-2017), joemessman (02-03-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:33 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Dif,

I completely understand why it's very hard for many forum readers to believe that it makes that big a difference, but it does, and I'm glad you're happy. Scroll up to the beginning of this thread, and you'll see I was also very skeptical.

Now I'm a complete zealot, and I still can't believe the difference. There is absolutely nothing else you can spend $1300 on and achieve this kind of upgrade . . . not even close.

Make sure to explore all the modes including Track on the street. They are all better! Track PTM-Wet is a great street setting.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Foosh, can't say I was ever skeptical Thanks to a lot of your posts and rikhek starting the thread,.. in addition judging from what you guys know
And Thanks for reminding me about the Track PTM-Wet
I've never been into those setting and need to check it out.
I also couldn't be Happier and I was pretty happy with the car to start with.
Even with the EOM setup the fact that the Z51 setup & MRSC rides and handles the way it does is a great accomplishment by GM.
But the DSC Controller adds a Lot of Icing on the cake
Just from my first impressions I'll probably be in Sport from now on.
Have a Good Weekend

Last edited by Dif; 02-04-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Foosh (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

FWIW, it's even quicker to install if you don't jack and remove the wheel. I know the instructions say remove it but I found there is PLENTY of room to install controller by just turning wheel to the left.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 02-04-2017 at 10:38 AM.
cheapthrills (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm getting this, but am wondering if anyone has any QUANTITATIVE data; i.e. any track junkies like me who can say something like 'car felt more planted going through uphill esses at VIR & allowed full throttle coming through Hogpen x seconds sooner which resulted in a lap time reduction of x. PDR data showed much earlier application of throttle in turns x, y, & z'?

These reviews of people cruising around on frost-heaved public roads while helpful, is 100% subjective, and I think the car handles wonderful in Touring mode for regular driving...

Last edited by Newton06; 02-04-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

There are multiple threads running on the DSC controller running here, in the C7 tech section, and in both Z06 general and tech sections. There are real data, but not consolidated in one place. The most compelling data are lap time differences before and after, and multiple experienced track folks have reported shaving seconds off their lap times with the controller installed.

Mike Levitas, CEO of TPC Racing and DSC Sport is an experienced Porsche race car driver and former class winner at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. TPC racing prepares Porsche race cars shipped to his shop from all over the country.

This technology was initially developed by Mike for his 3-car 911 team, so it's been around in the Porsche world much longer. It has become a "must have" suspension set-up. I think the significantly quicker lap times are all the quantitative data one needs to prove that it does a better job of settling the chassis, increasing grip, and improving one's ability to get the power stuck to the pavement.

Lastly, with regard to your "subjective" comment, sometimes things are hard to quantify, but race car teams are always relying upon experienced pro driver perceptions to find the proper set-up. Sensors can tell you a lot of things, but driver evaluation means a lot too.

For amateurs like me, it's pretty damned obvious when one drives over a gnarly road surface imperfection with a big jolt, then plugs in the controller, drives over the same nasty spot at the same speed, and the same car just soaks it up. That's neither imaginary, nor subjective. It's just obvious.

P.S. I agree 100% that OEM, MSRC Tour mode did a nice job for around town driving. But, the DSC Controller MSRC Tour mode improves upon that dramatically. As I've said several times now, all the modes are now noticeably better.

Another telling data point is that my car used to have some minor dashboard rattles over rough pavement even in Tour mode. I have no more rattles in any mode. I know where they always used to occur like the back of my hand because I've driven the same commute route 100s of times prior, and now dozens of times after installation of the DSC controller. That's not subjective either.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-04-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Newton06 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

^+100%

Totally agree Foosh.

Thanks for the links to other sections with more track-orientated feedback.

I can't wait until I get this installed and the proper alignment done.

Until then, I remain in Aspen writing skiing checks my body can no longer cash...

On that note, it's so awesome seeing guys (and ladies) on the mountain in their 70's+ still tearing it up. You can really tell people who live an active healthy lifestyle; it seems to pay incredible dividends. I would-up on the wrong side of Snowmass and got lift back to the main area from a snow patrol guy on his snowmobile. He HAD to be in his 80's & was still rocking it!

Last edited by Newton06; 02-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Foosh (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Newton06 - search is your friend. I don't mean to sound like a jerk in saying that but I've posted on my track experiences with the DSC Sport controller many times going back to this thread I started over a year ago after I first got it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

I bested my previous best at VIR by 2 seconds after I got the DSC Sport controller and suspension. I am definitely able to get back to full throttle sooner coming out of slow corners like T1 at VIR. I also have driven my car back to back with a Z07 without the controller and my car would stay planted coming out of "the bitch" on VIR Grand whereas the Z07 would always slide the backend even at lower speeds.

Overall the car is just much easier to drive on track. It soaks up the curbs without any loss of composure and I can easily manage the weight to get the car just where I want it on track.

Enjoy and I hope to see you at the track!

Last edited by Poor-sha; 02-04-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rikhek
FWIW, it's even quicker to install if you don't jack and remove the wheel. I know the instructions say remove it but I found there is PLENTY of room to install controller by just turning wheel to the left.

Rick
I agree and read that
Will be quicker and easier if I access it again now that I've done it.
But aside from having limited space in the Garage/Shop to park the Vette to turn the wheel, I personally would still take the wheel off.
The Fender liner is so stiff and Glued to the car at the very bottom making it difficult to keep it out of the way while trying to access the Controller.
With the wheel off I tied it back out of the way.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Where are you guys coiling up the USB cable for easy access?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:01 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Where are you guys coiling up the USB cable for easy access?
I run the cable through a rubber grommet just to the left of the clutch pedal. It is the closest access to the DSC
Then I run the cable along driver's side door sill plate and leave it next to the driver's seat
Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
I run the cable through a rubber grommet just to the left of the clutch pedal. It is the closest access to the DSC
Then I run the cable along driver's side door sill plate and leave it next to the driver's seat
Thanks.

Your PM box is full.

I placed an order through the DSC site yesterday. Ignore my request to hold off on fulfilling it. Do you have them in stock? Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Thanks.

Your PM box is full.

I placed an order through the DSC site yesterday. Ignore my request to hold off on fulfilling it. Do you have them in stock? Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks,

Alex
Alex I'm down in Sebring testing but there should be new inventory in stock. If you have any issues call us at the workshop
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
What we did on my car was the use a USB extension cable instead. That way you can just zip tie the end up next to the USB port. When you want to program just plug one end of a standard USB cable in to your computer and the other in to the extension. That way there isn't any excess cable laying around in the car.

Here is one on Amazon but I don't remember what length we used. I'm not sure if 3 ft is enough.

https://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-Bl...xtension+cable
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Do these controllers all ship programmed for OEM shocks? (Asking since the tractiv shocks use inverse current/voltage settings)

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Spearfish,

Yes, they do come w/ DSC's (Mike's) recommended C7 settings for the OEM shocks.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:56 AM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

It shouldn't need a USB connection once the wifi thing is working, right? It will update/tune with a wireless connection?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 95bat
It shouldn't need a USB connection once the wifi thing is working, right? It will update/tune with a wireless connection?
Should work that way

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations