Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Thanks for the review
When you say you loaded the "plush tour" file, is it a different Tour file/program you put in than the Tour settings already in the DSC Controller ?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Since you are doing the Camaro, are you also doing the ATS-V?

Picking one up in a few weeks.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
First impressions, I'm pretty impressed. I loaded the plush tour file and Tour mode is on par with my late Cadillac CTS-V. No more jarring impacts on things like railroad tracks or even the reflectors in the lane paint. There is also a noticeable difference in undulation on the road. Without the DSC, the car would abruptly follow the contour of a wave in the road (think of going over a small hill or dip in front of you). With the plush Tour mode, you can feel the wheels drop while the chassis moves independently upwards. More of a gliding feeling over the undulation rather than the car trying to trace it. Clearly the softer dampers are allowing better 'consumption' of road contours in the plush mode. Go to Sport and it tightens things back down.

Also very noticeable is the ability to put power down. If I understand correctly, the DSC controller reads acceleration Gs and throttle travel to soften the rear dampers. The car just squats and GOES now. Big difference.

Finally, I like that Touring mode can 'wake up' and become nimble when desired. Without the DSC, I'd pick Tour and the car would lean in corners and dive under braking. It was cruising that required a change to Sport if you wanted some better chassis dynamics. With the DSC, the car stays flat, avoids brake dive, and is ready to play whenever you are. I liken it to the suspension being on its toes and having better reflexes. Without the DSC, the shocks didn't know you were asking them to dance. With the DSC, they're eagerly awaiting your queue.

I go to Sebring at the end of March and plan to test it out in the track setting. My tires are getting tired and I was consistent on best lap times my last two events within 0.5s. If I can beat my best lap time, well I'll chalk that up to the DSC controller. Everything else will have been constant despite slightly older tires.
Your review perfectly captures my perceptions and what I've been trying to convey. However, I think you said it better.

And yes, your understanding is correct that the DSC uses more sensor parameters already in the car than the OEM controller, like G loads, and acceleration parameters to adjust the suspension according to what you're doing. When you're just lolling along, it makes things comfortable. And, the jarring impacts in all modes are now gone.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-09-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Spearfish,
I like your impressions, your take on this is well worded and articulates my same feelings. Especially when you discuss the undulation and following the contour of the road. I cant wait for autocross this May.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

. . . and forgot to mention the ability to get the power down. The car does squat and go. I think I mentioned previously that "drifters" may not be thrilled with it as much, but it really does greatly improve hook-up on the launch.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Thanks for the review
When you say you loaded the "plush tour" file, is it a different Tour file/program you put in than the Tour settings already in the DSC Controller ?
Yeah. There are multiple .psdt (or whatever the extension is) files you can download on the DSC Sport website. Load the one you want. If you aren't doing your own tweaking of parameters (I know nothing about how to correctly change any of them), you just load the file into the software and select WRITE ALL. Your controller is now running the new parameters.

I chose the plush touring file since the road impacts over expansion joints beat me to death on a highway drive to Tampa a few weeks ago. The other modes are still very performance oriented but still avoid the severe impacts. Plush touring is just the most comfortable of them all.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

First impressions, I'm pretty impressed. I loaded the plush tour file and Tour mode is on par with my late Cadillac CTS-V. No more jarring impacts on things like railroad tracks or even the reflectors in the lane paint. There is also a noticeable difference in undulation on the road. Without the DSC, the car would abruptly follow the contour of a wave in the road (think of going over a small hill or dip in front of you). With the plush Tour mode, you can feel the wheels drop while the chassis moves independently upwards. More of a gliding feeling over the undulation rather than the car trying to trace it. Clearly the softer dampers are allowing better 'consumption' of road contours in the plush mode. Go to Sport and it tightens things back down.

Also very noticeable is the ability to put power down. If I understand correctly, the DSC controller reads acceleration Gs and throttle travel to soften the rear dampers. The car just squats and GOES now. Big difference.

Finally, I like that Touring mode can 'wake up' and become nimble when desired. Without the DSC, I'd pick Tour and the car would lean in corners and dive under braking. It was cruising that required a change to Sport if you wanted some better chassis dynamics. With the DSC, the car stays flat, avoids brake dive, and is ready to play whenever you are. I liken it to the suspension being on its toes and having better reflexes. Without the DSC, the shocks didn't know you were asking them to dance. With the DSC, they're eagerly awaiting your queue.

I go to Sebring at the end of March and plan to test it out in the track setting. My tires are getting tired and I was consistent on best lap times my last two events within 0.5s. If I can beat my best lap time, well I'll chalk that up to the DSC controller. Everything else will have been constant despite slightly older tires.
Wow very accurate description. To get the most out of your velocity table go to:
settings
with the car is on a level surface engine off key on with driver
select ZERO Travel follow the prompt it takes but 10 sec .
Have Fun, Im pretty proud of the C7 file I worked along time on both the road for comfort and performance. I have spent countlees days at the track. At Sebring use the sport mode not track. If you go to track mode try swapping out the shock cal table from the touring mode I bet its a home run. If you need help let me know ill send you the file but its easy to swap the tables
spearfish25 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Wow very accurate description. To get the most out of your velocity table go to:
settings
Have Fun, Im pretty proud of the C7 file I worked along time on both the road for comfort and performance. I have spent countlees days at the track. At Sebring use the sport mode not track. If you go to track mode try swapping out the shock cal table from the touring mode I bet its a home run. If you need help let me know ill send you the file but its easy to swap the tables
Cool thanks. So I should copy the sport or touring table into the track location in the DSC to still use the car's PTM modes?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:13 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Cool thanks. So I should copy the sport or touring table into the track location in the DSC to still use the car's PTM modes?
yes but i would first drive the car in sport and touring to decide which one is the most compliant then I would go into setting read from the one you like then write to track
go into shock cal and first click write all read all then in shock cal click write it will only write the shock cal table it takes a few sec. then go to tools reset board then go back to shock cal in track still and click read it will ask if you want to save no then click when it reads it out that is your new Sebring track file name it that way when you save it
go to file save as and name and date it
spearfish25 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:12 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

settings
Is this process done just within the vehicle or is a laptop or something needed to be connected to the controller? Also when one speaks of adding files from your site how is that done. Ordering today or tomorrow so hoping to get a better understanding.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Is this process done just within the vehicle or is a laptop or something needed to be connected to the controller? Also when one speaks of adding files from your site how is that done. Ordering today or tomorrow so hoping to get a better understanding.
order the controller and go on our site and sign up for the software then down load the software and the driver. open and start looking at the tuning software its pretty simple really if you have trouble just ask
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

yes but i would first drive the car in sport and touring to decide which one is the most compliant then I would go into setting read from the one you like then write to track
go into shock cal and first click write all read all then in shock cal click write it will only write the shock cal table it takes a few sec. then go to tools reset board then go back to shock cal in track still and click read it will ask if you want to save no then click when it reads it out that is your new Sebring track file name it that way when you save it
go to file save as and name and date it
Thanks! After playing around with things and watching one of your youtube videos, I think I got it sorted out.

Two questions:
1) The OEM magnetic shocks are listed as having mA from 0-1000 in your software manual. However, in the DSC Tuner files, you have shock calibrations that run up to 1500mA. Is this simply to adjust how the fill values occur from 0% to 100%? (ie, putting in 1500 for 100% makes the max shock firmness happen earlier around 66% where 1000mA is listed). I suppose any mA value above the max range for the shock just ends up being the 1000mA firmness.

2) Do you plan to have a true offline editing mode? As it appears now, one can't copy and paste data from one chassis mode to another within the DSC Tuner alone (without the actual DSC attached). So if I want my Gtable from Sport chassis mode copied into Track chassis mode, I have to first write the Sport gtable to track in the DSC module, read the DSC's Track settings back into the track chassis mode Gtable, and then save the new file. The DSC itself is serving as a copy/paste clipboard. Seems like it should be doable to make that happen in the DSC Tuner software alone.

3) When I compared your shock cal tables from touring to your 'plush' touring, you dropped the mA in the plush mode in the lower % ranges but the 100% max is still 1000mA. How did you fill the values with a non-linear gradient? Type them all in by hand?

Really impressed with the power of this system. Now if I only knew how to really manipulate it .

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I spoke to Spencer *** he's excited to work on the C7 and more than capable. He has installed many DSC controller on the porsche
Does anyone know if SpeedSport has the rear caster tools? These guys are less than 30 minutes away from me and while I've been there with my German cars, I would not have thought of the for a C7 performance alignment.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
Does anyone know if SpeedSport has the rear caster tools? These guys are less than 30 minutes away from me and while I've been there with my German cars, I would not have thought of the for a C7 performance alignment.
Reading this thread will answer many questions including yours. Also, the Search engine is your friend.

Read Posts #137 and #138 of this thread.....
Old 02-12-2017, 07:51 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
Speedsport will be doing the install of this and alignment and Corner weighting once I get the summer tires back on.

Good friend of mine works there. PM me for contact info.
they are good guys the tel number is 203 730 0311 wk
let me know if you have any problems it will be tough this week to get anyone between daytona and sebring.
Originally Posted by rikhek
Reading this thread will answer many questions including yours. Also, the Search engine is your friend.

Read Posts #137 and #138 of this thread.....
I did read the thread, and the two posts you mention are above, these do not confirm SpeedSport has the tools. I prefer not to assume.

I can call them and will if no one responds with first hand knowledge.
shakeydog (02-12-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Thanks! After playing around with things and watching one of your youtube videos, I think I got it sorted out.

Two questions:
1) The OEM magnetic shocks are listed as having mA from 0-1000 in your software manual. However, in the DSC Tuner files, you have shock calibrations that run up to 1500mA. Is this simply to adjust how the fill values occur from 0% to 100%? (ie, putting in 1500 for 100% makes the max shock firmness happen earlier around 66% where 1000mA is listed). I suppose any mA value above the max range for the shock just ends up being the 1000mA firmness.

2) Do you plan to have a true offline editing mode? As it appears now, one can't copy and paste data from one chassis mode to another within the DSC Tuner alone (without the actual DSC attached). So if I want my Gtable from Sport chassis mode copied into Track chassis mode, I have to first write the Sport gtable to track in the DSC module, read the DSC's Track settings back into the track chassis mode Gtable, and then save the new file. The DSC itself is serving as a copy/paste clipboard. Seems like it should be doable to make that happen in the DSC Tuner software alone.

3) When I compared your shock cal tables from touring to your 'plush' touring, you dropped the mA in the plush mode in the lower % ranges but the 100% max is still 1000mA. How did you fill the values with a non-linear gradient? Type them all in by hand?

Really impressed with the power of this system. Now if I only knew how to really manipulate it .
Your doing a great job at understanding our logic. Yes everything is based on shock calibration but don't overlook the sensativety in the lower line of the Gtable. I do have a Windows version we started and went pretty far with as soon as the features and car models more stabilize we will revisit it.
Thanks for all the support and trust we have close to 7 years of development in the current DSC
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

I ordered on Friday and received today,

Install took me about a hour total, there was little info about getting the controller out of the bracket inside the wheel well. A call was answered quickly and had me moving along. They probably should address that part.

First impressions from a quick drive, this truly transforms the car. I can even drive in track mode on semi smooth roads with any harshness or upsetting the suspension. Others have done a much better job describing the changes then I could do, I'll just say the V2 controller is awesome so far.
Foosh (02-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-13-2017, 02:38 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

My next test is to change the 1% track mode shock calibration to 1. But every box after that stays with the higher mA values. Then I'll make the G comfort setting referenced to the 1mA value so I'm super soft under 3G. Then once the Gtable is activated I get the firm track profile for everything in the shock cal above 1%.

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-13-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I ordered on Friday and received today,

Install took me about a hour total, there was little info about getting the controller out of the bracket inside the wheel well. A call was answered quickly and had me moving along. They probably should address that part.

First impressions from a quick drive, this truly transforms the car. I can even drive in track mode on semi smooth roads with any harshness or upsetting the suspension. Others have done a much better job describing the changes then I could do, I'll just say the V2 controller is awesome so far.
Thanks for the review we try really hard we were sending the printed instructions out in every box but somehow shipping fell off on that the installation is available on the website http://www.dscsport.com/installation...-de1a1afb-2a00
Thanks again, any questions feel free to ask did you try my setup notes for the chassis?
Old 02-13-2017, 03:02 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the review we try really hard we were sending the printed instructions out in every box but somehow shipping fell off on that the installation is available on the website http://www.dscsport.com/installation...-de1a1afb-2a00
Thanks again, any questions feel free to ask did you try my setup notes for the chassis?
I haven't set up the software, drivers yet on my laptop so not yet. Looks easy enough to get to the usb port for a quick adjustment. No wifi yet? Will the unit I have support it when available if no to the previous question.. I probably do the adjustment tomorrow morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations