Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Max,

I suppose that could lead some to believe that the suspension is somehow smoother, but it's not. It's the same setting as Tour.

That's why I'm so interested in this DSC device. It appears that it has a greater range of settings than the OEM box.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 AM
Bhandy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dsc...

I too enjoy within PTM the "Wet" mode as per GM places the mag shocks into "tour" setting. It's the only track mode with tour shock settings. I love driving it around town that way. The tuning abilities are huge with the shock ecu, a reflash for track mode is all ready for sale to soften and recalibrate z07 z06 mag rides. Endless tuning. I'm personally torn, this ride tech DSC or lgmotorsports sway bars for half the cost. Not same tuning approach but a bunch report huge driving gains from their sway bars. Struggles are real...jk

Brian in Bakersfield...
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Bhandy
I too enjoy within PTM the "Wet" mode as per GM places the mag shocks into "tour" setting. It's the only track mode with tour shock settings. I love driving it around town that way. The tuning abilities are huge with the shock ecu, a reflash for track mode is all ready for sale to soften and recalibrate z07 z06 mag rides. Endless tuning. I'm personally torn, this ride tech DSC or lgmotorsports sway bars for half the cost. Not same tuning approach but a bunch report huge driving gains from their sway bars. Struggles are real...jk

Brian in Bakersfield...
I agree that the Weather mode is the same as Tour but Track - PTM - Wet is most definitely softer with the OEM controller. I've been on track in that configuration and you can really see the hood rise and fall under acceleration.

With the DSC controller I know that PTM Wet is softer because you can see it right in the config. The config that I pulled from their web site shows clearly that PTM Wet will pull 10% of the stiffness out of the shock curve. You can see more detail in the tutorial I posted on the software here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tutorial.html

I've been running the DSC Sport controller and their shocks since last March. With it I dropped 2 seconds off my best lap at VIR and was able to get under 2 min. I am also very ride sensitive on the street and agree that even in tour the car rides better than stock and on the track the car is simply sublime.

As for what the GM engineers didn't do this. As far as I know the OEM system just takes the mode and sets a shock curve based on it. The DSC controller takes a number of inputs from the system in real time and adapts how each shock responds. Pretty slick stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Foosh (01-04-2017), siglite (01-20-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 01:27 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

I'm glad to see that others have been as exited as I was when I saw this product.

Although some may feel it's expensive, which I understand, it somewhat eliminates the need for coil overs. Yes a purpose built race car will typically still go that way, but most of us want everything. Fun weekend HPDE car, and long trip cruiser all in one.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:02 PM
BigDogMark
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who has any of the controllers in stock? Is the wireless activated, or is it too late to get that without the additional $200.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Al@MatickChevy
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

I think that I'm going to look into these. I've been in contact with Ridetech and will be demoing a unit to see for myself but this is great to hear. Glad you guys enjoy it.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Wouldn't this just be a software upgrade for the MSRC controller ? It may be more convenient to put in a new controller, but wouldn't a reflash to the trick ?

This does sound interesting... as it further differentiates the settings which is a good thing. $1200ish doesn't sound that bad given the amount or shock tuning expertise that goes into developing these settings...

Hey GM, why don't you purchase the software from these guys and put it in as an option ?

Would love to see a Lightening lap at VIR with this product, sub 2:35 times for a Z06 then ?? ( 2:41 with Jim Mero driving on the last test)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 PM
eddie-d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
How much is this device (what's it cost)? How hard is the install and does it mess with the warranty?

All the the positive comments have me intrigued. Still, the cost of $1,290 makes me question the cost-to-benefit.

A question for those who have purchased it, do you think it would substantially improve the suspension for Auto-X events? Or would the benefits be primarily felt at a 'real' race track?

I wonder if the good folks at DSC would consider a group buy discount.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I am so doing this! DSC Sport is 30 miles away from me, and I'm going to take a ride up there soon.

I've read the threads and testimonials elsewhere in the forum. Shaving 2-3 seconds off a lap time with this relatively inexpensive, but significant suspension enhancement is equivalent to adding 100 or more HP, and a more desirable way to get more out of the car in my view. The extra comfort for around town driving is an added, but important bonus. The price is less than a set of tires.

Clearly the MSRC shocks are under-utilized by GM and can deliver far more capability than GM gave us OEM.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 PM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

How are different configurations selected? I went on the website and didn't see any reference to a hand held controller, but the OP talked about changing settings as he was driving. The specs make reference to a USB cable but the installation instructions don't mention anything but a swap of the box in the wheel well.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen1254
How are different configurations selected? I went on the website and didn't see any reference to a hand held controller, but the OP talked about changing settings as he was driving. The specs make reference to a USB cable but the installation instructions don't mention anything but a swap of the box in the wheel well.
Plug-and-Play with direct integration with the OEM console mounted **** and button used to change shock settings and turn active handling and TC on and off. You simply rotate the **** or push the button as with the OEM controller to change settings. The only way anybody would know the DSC controller is installed is if you tell them. No hand held controller and don't know where that came from.

Installation is done by removing 3 screws and one bolt to remove the front left splash guard and reach in behind the fender liner. Remove OEM box and plug in DSC box. You don't have to remove the wheel or jack the car. Just turn wheel to the left to give some room to access. Took me 20 minutes to install.

A mini USB port is integral to the box. You run a USB cable from the box through an existing hole/grommet in the firewall just above the left of the clutch pedal. I coiled the cable and hang on the OBD port to keep it out of the way when not using. The unit also has Wi-Fi capability but the Wi-Fi functionality is undergoing final testing before releasing this feature. I don't imagine I'll use the Wi-Fi as a wired connection is always better than Wi-Fi when transmitting data files. Not really hard to plug the USB cable into your laptop.

I STRONGLY recommend those interested check out the mini tutorial post provided in the link below. The tutorial just scratches the surface of the unit's capabilities and data acquired to change shock action/reaction to the MANY performance data points analyzed to offer near real time action/reaction of each shock individually.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tutorial.html

For example, it's amazing experiencing how under threshold braking the data acquired instantly firms up front shock compression while slowing down rear shock rebound to prevent the front of the car from diving. It keeps the car flat and prevents weight transfer to the front and subsequent overloading of the front tires while keeping the rear tires in contact ultimately preventing the car form becoming unsettled. The controller operates to keep the car flat during aggressive cornering to adjust each shock individually to maintain maximum tire contact patch keeping the car stable.

Some have stated it sounds too complex to utilize and customize the calibration tables. Keep in mind Mike Levitas/DSC/TPC Racing has spent countless hours at the track in his C7Z developing the calibration tables. I'm a pretty accomplished racer and don't see a need for customizing. Mike is one of the best at car setup and I know I don't have the skill/talent to modify the tables to get better than what he provides. It's not difficult to customize the calibration tables but I have no need to alter his work as it's fantastic as delivered. If you do get in and play around with changes it's easy to reset to the standard tables that are provided from Mike.

Those interested should do a search for posts made by Mike under the username: DSC Sport

Mike's wrote a good number of technical posts in various threads explaining the technical aspects of the controller and how it functions. So, so much more than the rudimentary approach utilized by GM. GM has barely scratched the surface of exploiting the true capabilities of the magnetic shocks.

I truly feel it is by far the best bang for your modification that can be done to a C7 with magnetic shocks.

Also, the provided calibration tables work with all C7 variation such as Z51, GS, Z06 FE6 and Z07 FE7 cars.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 01-04-2017 at 11:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rikhek:
Foosh (01-04-2017), Is2scooby (03-10-2017), stephen1254 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:07 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Well this is embarrassing, but I've been embarrassed before. I did not know - or didn't remember - what "PTM" was, so I looked it up in the owner's manual. It turns out that my M7, Z51, MSRC C7 is equipped with an additional 5 driving modes, selected from within the "Track" mode. This raises some interesting questions.

I drive my car on the street, and do not track the car. I use "Tour" for normal driving and "Sport" for more spirited driving. My primary interest in the DSC controller is to improve the ride in ordinary driving, although I'm also interested in improving the shock performance in more spirited driving.

I know from the GM chart that in the non-PTM mode, Tour is the softest setting. Poor-sha made the comment above, if I'm reading it correctly, that PTM - 1, the wet setting, provides an even softer ride. Am I reading that correctly? Do many of you use the PTM settings for ordinary driving? And lastly, do you have to engage the PTM settings every time the car is started, or does the car remember the settings?

I can, and will, experiment with my car, but I'm currently buried in work and am looking for a head start.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the reason the rain setting and all the other PTM setting can be different is in the PTM tuning section its additive or subtractive to the global chassis setting see attached pic note the grey tones the zero area is 0 or no change the other tones are in fact changes to velocity. this is an absolute first. basically what you are looking at is a 6way race shock built digitally

Originally Posted by Ammo
Based on your settings you are saying that the ride is better than regular TOUR mode when you go to TRACK WET, is that right?
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Foosh (01-05-2017), speedlink (03-09-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I've been running the DSC Sport controller and their shocks since last March. With it I dropped 2 seconds off my best lap at VIR and was able to get under 2 min. I am also very ride sensitive on the street and agree that even in tour the car rides better than stock and on the track the car is simply sublime.
VIR Full?

This will be on my goodie list along with a full alignment from them once I get my tax refund.

Last edited by Newton06; 01-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Ordered from DSC Sport today. Since they are very close to me, they're going to do the set-up.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:25 PM
0Smitty@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have them in stock on the shelf.

Originally Posted by BigDogMark
Who has any of the controllers in stock? Is the wireless activated, or is it too late to get that without the additional $200.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Newton06
VIR Full?

This will be on my goodie list along with a full alignment from them once I get my tax refund.
Yup, VIR Full. My PB there is a 1:59.2 and one of those days it was 95F out. Prior to the DSC Sport suspension my bests were in the 2:01 range. Fantastic product.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Poor-sha was this on slicks? My brain can't process sub 2:00 on street tires. Do you run with Track Daze at all. We're doing 4 events this year at VIR. Hope to see you out there.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

This is on my spring list for sure.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cvp33
Poor-sha was this on slicks? My brain can't process sub 2:00 on street tires. Do you run with Track Daze at all. We're doing 4 events this year at VIR. Hope to see you out there.
Yes, Hoosiers the first time and Pirellis the second. I did have one lap in November that was on its way to sub 2 min on fresh MPSC2 but then I got balked heading down towards 11.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations