Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, that's all you need to do. I think it's as close to perfect as it is, but a lot of people like to experiment. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not necessary in my view.

Mike (owner of TPC Racing/DSC Sport) is a professional chassis engineer and racer who relied on data he gathered from his Z06 on street and track to develop his recommended settings. I think everyone should try those first, before altering anything.
Foosh,

This is wonderful. Yes I had no intention of changing anything other than zeroing out travel. I'm not terribly interested in going plush.

EDIT: I'm able to get into it with Chrome on my iPhone but the wifi seems to keep timing out after 30 seconds or so. Does the wifi stay on longer once it's plugged into the car with the ignition on?

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 04-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Gene,

I'm assuming that you did not request they load it with "Tour Plush." I understand from postings above, they will do that upon request, but it's not the way they're normally shipped out.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
So is it true to say that I can simply take it out of the box brand new, put it in the car, connect to it with wifi, zero out shocks, be on my way? No need to actually do anything with a computer?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Yes as Foosh said that's all you need. I wanted to try Mikes new file and to purge myself of the Plush tour hence my day today fiddling with this.

So the good news is I really like Mikes new file. My initial impression from an hour of play is the sport mode is a bit firmer then it was on the original file, the 6 speed humps I go over twice a day do not give me that floating feeling anymore that I was getting even in sport before. The car feels even better planted, more nimble but just a tad firmer. I did go over my test bad road in sport and it ate up the bumps remarkably well even though the car generally feels firmer. I had it in track mode for half the time and it feels outstanding. I don't drive in track enough to make a fair comparison but track mode just makes you want to get in trouble, the car begs for it. Obviously this is just what I believe I feel, nothing but seat of the pants feeling.
phantasms (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Foosh,

EDIT: I'm able to get into it with Chrome on my iPhone but the wifi seems to keep timing out after 30 seconds or so. Does the wifi stay on longer once it's plugged into the car with the ignition on?

Best,
Gene
Gene,

When Mike and I were setting up mine that kept happening too, but it was the car timing out w/ ignition on without engine running.

Stand by . . . I might be able to get you a quick answer.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:25 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Foosh
Gene,

When Mike and I were setting up mine that kept happening too, but it was the car timing out w/ ignition on without engine running.

Stand by . . . I might be able to get you a quick answer.
Foosh,

Thank you so much! Don't you just hold down the start button for 8 seconds to put it into on but no engine mode? Aka tuning mode? That's what I was planning on doing but I don't believe that the car ever times out of that. I was able to setup the wifi with a password. I've gotten very quick to try to outrun the timeout! I'm guessing I can zero the shocks in less than 30 seconds. However if you can find a solution that would be awesome. Thank you so much!

Best,
Gene

Last edited by phantasms; 04-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Gene,

PM me. I just talked to someone who can probably get you straightened out.

Yes, had forgotten about holding down the start button. That should work.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-22-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Zero the Shocks FYI

Foosh,

Thank you so much! Don't you just hold down the start button for 8 seconds to put it into on but no engine mode? Aka tuning mode? That's what I was planning on doing but I don't believe that the car ever times out of that. I was able to setup the wifi with a password. I've gotten very quick to try to outrun the timeout! I'm guessing I can zero the shocks in less than 30 seconds. However if you can find a solution that would be awesome. Thank you so much!

Best,
Gene
  • Under Settings, click Zero Travel
  • "Write all" to the controller from the menu.
  • Reset Board - which resets the Controller from the menu
Drive off
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
Foosh (04-22-2017), phantasms (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:06 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dif
Drive off
Thanks for all the help Dif!!!

So once I got it plugged in I was unable to get it back on wifi. I didn't get to zero it or anything. I went out for a 20 min drive. It's incredible. Everyone should buy it. Car is way more fun to drive. I just picked up a giant bolt in the tire. I can't complain as it's my first puncture in 38k miles and the tires are kind of shot anyway.

Best,
Gene

Foosh (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
So being a rather impatient MF that I am and giving it another shot at the wifi and letting it sit stalled for 10 min I decided to just go the old fashion way, opened the fender, connected the cord and updated. Took me 1% of the time I spent F'ing with the wifi. I did try my brand new laptop to do the cable and it really didn't see any ports to connect to so my 10+ year old laptop came to the rescue. What an ordeal. In hindsight I would have left well enough alone but I really disliked the Plush tour, just not my style.
Glad you were able to flash the pdts file when you get a chance call me at the workshop 410-799-7223 . I'd like to go over the wifi connection to see the chain of events in loading the file
You should have been able to open the file from wi-fi the write all
Thanks for any feedback. Mike Levitas
cheapthrills (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Glad you were able to flash the pdts file when you get a chance call me at the workshop 410-799-7223 . I'd like to go over the wifi connection to see the chain of events in loading the file
You should have been able to open the file from wi-fi the write all
Thanks for any feedback. Mike Levitas
Call you Monday
Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dif
Drive off
I don't believe anything is needed other then Zero travel, then stop there.

If you do the write all you better have loaded either a files from DSC or read from the controller otherwise you will be writing NOTHING to the controller and basically zeroing everything out. Ask me how I know. I was mistakenly told to do so on my original install couple of months ago.
Dif (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks for all the help Dif!!!

So once I got it plugged in I was unable to get it back on wifi. I didn't get to zero it or anything. I went out for a 20 min drive. It's incredible. Everyone should buy it. Car is way more fun to drive. I just picked up a giant bolt in the tire. I can't complain as it's my first puncture in 38k miles and the tires are kind of shot anyway.

Best,
Gene
Sorry about the bolt, but glad you're pleased. Call DSC on Monday, and they'll help you get the shock travel zeroed out.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 PM
pharaoh4269
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Installed my DSC today!

'16 Z51 Stingray M7, 7K miles

All I can say is this controller is worth every penny.

Only a 20 minute drive with the wife to the store after I installed, but my initial observations follow:

- Both brake and hard throttle weight shift / dive management: Incredible changes for both. The car just doesn't through its weight around the same way, it feels so much more centered.

- Body roll on quick steering inputs is significantly reduced, again the car feels more centered.

- Ride over rough road: Vastly improved. As I said to my wife (she agreed) the car seems to walk over street surface imperfections. Where as before the suspension would translate a rough jolt when hitting a bump, hole, etc., it is now much softer, more managed. I used the analogy of catching an egg. The suspension is catching and cradling the imperfections instead of being smacked around by them.

- Power to the road. Significantly improved adhesion during quick accelerations from low speed, especially when cornering. Before even in tour mode I could flick the throttle in second gear and step the rear end out while making a left or right from a stop (TC on). Now (although only tried once on the short drive) the same flick of the throttle just pinned us back in the seat as she ate up pavement.

- Nose placement entering / exiting turns. Again vastly improved

-Track mode now tolerable: I went to the Spring Mountain owners school, track mode on a track is great, on regular highways around Sacramento? Not so much. Only on the most pristine freshly paved twisties would I use track mode. I can tell I will be activate track mode much more frequently. The stiffness of the suspension remains, but the jarring repose to surface imperfections is gone.

These observations stand for every single mode from tour to track.

Only draw back experienced: I purchased my controller through a dealer (at DSC's advise - they are back ordered, but their dealer Ridetech had them in stock). The instructions were out of date to say the least. They made no mention of actually removing the retaining chassis for the controller module. I struggled to try and unclip the controller for 10 minutes before I finally bit the bullet looked up forum directions and pulled the retaining bolt.

I was able to execute the installation wit the tire on, just had to crank the wheels over once, a 1" lift on the drivers side via scissor jack helped a great deal with hand access.

Ty all for the posts about this little gem.

Bryce
The following 4 users liked this post by pharaoh4269:
cheapthrills (04-23-2017), Dif (04-22-2017), Foosh (04-23-2017), RottenII (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Very well written and dead-on accurate review, Pharoah!
pharaoh4269 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

It DOES NOT like IE. Mike told me to use Chrome and I've never had any issues since. I also have a USB cable through the firewall and never messed with the wi-fi. Hard wire has never given me headaches.... FWIW, I realize that is not the answer a number of you guys want.

Last edited by rikhek; 04-23-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 AM
r84boomer66
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I was able to zero the shocks with my iPhone 7 and my mac computer. The only strange thing was I had to zero travel each shock independently... LF, RF, LR, RR because there was a separate box by each to click and then hit zero travel button.
I installed google chrome to both my iPhone 7 and mac.
I just went to settings and selected wifi and found the dsc controller signal and connected.
Then went to google chrome and entered 10.10.10.1 and it brought up dsc software.
After each shock zero travel...a pop up box came up with a successful Y stating it worked.
Foosh (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:08 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rikhek
It DOES NOT like IE. Mike told me to use Chrome and I've never had any issues since. I also have a USB cable through the firewall and never messed with the wi-fi. Hard wire has never given me headaches.... FWIW, I realize that is not the answer a number of you guys want.
I'm using windows 10 and firefox, my new laptop didn't even come with IE or they hid it, just MS edge. Firefox connected perfectly every time. I did try edge after failed attempts to load the new file and it's a no go. Anyway I don't expect to be connecting on a regular basis and once you do the install getting to the controller is easy, just thought the wifi would be easier. I'll talk to Mike though and maybe we will find out what went wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 04-24-2017, 03:16 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
I'm using windows 10 and firefox, my new laptop didn't even come with IE or they hid it, just MS edge. Firefox connected perfectly every time. I did try edge after failed attempts to load the new file and it's a no go. Anyway I don't expect to be connecting on a regular basis and once you do the install getting to the controller is easy, just thought the wifi would be easier. I'll talk to Mike though and maybe we will find out what went wrong.
Google chrome should work fine that is what we use here
cheapthrills (04-24-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Tour Plush Tuned for less bounce

Like some others who installed the Tour Plush file, after putting on more miles, I did find it too bouncy.
After progressively making changes, a little at a time, I found a happy medium.
YMMV

I've tested these settings around town and on the highway with speed ranging between 35 mph to 80+ mph.
The car is now much more stable yet still has the Soft Tour Plush ride over stretches of rough road.
And over large dips and rises in the road, the Bounce is now Very minimal and recovers immediately.

I did this by simply changing numbers in the field boxes.
Below are screen shots of my changes for those interested.

1st picture shows changes in the G Comfort Parameters:
Default Rate: changed from 1 to 5
Sensitivity: changed from 25 to 15
G Rate Max: changed from 35 to 30

2nd picture shows a change from 1 to 50 in Calibrated At:
Attached Images   
The following 4 users liked this post by Dif:
BEZ06 (04-28-2017), cheapthrills (04-28-2017), Foosh (04-28-2017), joemessman (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:10 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Thanks, that's great info!!

However, this is post# 579 in a HUGE LOOONNNGGG thread, and is gonna be buried as more and more posts come in.

We really need a sticky thread with these kinds of posts so someone can easily find info like this!!

Just MHO!!

The following 5 users liked this post by BEZ06:
08G8V8 (04-28-2017), Dif (04-28-2017), Foosh (04-28-2017), joemessman (04-29-2017), phantasms (04-28-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations