Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

i installed the updated firmware and the original Touring (non-plush) file and I agree with Dif, very comfortable on the street but much more controlled and not bouncy.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:01 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
So you have me a bit confused, the zip for the firmware does not contain a pdts file that I see. the most recent in the files section is this one 04-11-17 DSC Improved track tuning; tuned by Mike Levitas at VIR, that's the file I'm presently running. So Mike or someone from DSC please confirm this is OK for this firmware?
You can't see them until you load the New Firmware.
It comes complete with pdts files, but you can re-install your own if you want.
The earlier Firmware had some bugs in the Velocity table and signals from that table were bleeding into some other tables affecting how the pdts file reacted.
The Firmware is something different than a pdts file.
It's what you might call the operating system, separate from a pdts file and controls how the pdts file works with whatever settings are in the file.

The base pdts file .. which is Not a new file... comes with the New Firmware.
And the New Firmware improves the way that file works now, or any file you wish to re-install.

Last edited by Dif; 08-21-2017 at 07:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dif:
cheapthrills (08-22-2017), Foosh (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

^

Agreed, that's what I thought I said, but was clearly too cryptic, and didn't offer the additional info you did. Thanks for amplifying and clarifying.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-21-2017 at 07:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammo
Ok the sun and the moon aligned today and I was able to get the right firmware uploaded into the DSC.

What did the firmware update have to do with the PDTS files? I wouldn't expect them to change unless they notified us or at least gave them updated names in the Calibration Files on their web site.

Questions for anyone to answer.
1-now that we have new firmware what PDTS file is recommended for us non Z06 folks?

2-I still want the plush in tour but not the float. None of those on the DSC Sport site have been updated that I can see, or am I missing something?

3-The Shock Calibration Table still bothers me in the Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s file.
Nothing has been done or addressed here about the percentages running from 200ma to 1500ma for a corvette in Track and 100ma to 1100ma in Sport but in Tour the high end stops at the OEM spec of 1000ma?
Why is the high end in the different modes different?
4-Was this done on purpose to get to ramp up values higher when the Fill Empty selection was used?

Guess I will reload Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s file until someone comes up with a Z51 file. I'm not an engineer and my brain hurts when I try to think about the impacts changes to these files might make if I do them myself.

Thanks Everyone for all the help, got 2nd in class sunday at an autocross with old firmware and a modified VIR file loaded. I'll try to put my PDR vids up later of my worst and best runs later today.
1,2) There is currently no DSC Sport pdts file created specifically for z51 vehicles. We are still all toying with our own cars trying to get a good setup. I personally have stiffened up my tour and sport mode shock tables, and added more % to the speed table (almost the same as the VIR file) look for my previous post. I also added 20% to the PTM modes for track days.

3)From what I've learned, the high end is different for the different modes simply because:
0-1000 mA is the operating range of the shocks. However, having a table go from 0-1500 mA for example causes 1000 mA to hit at, idk, 60% so it maxes stiffness faster, at 70,80,90,100% it will stay at 1000 mA even if it says 1500 mA since the shock controller can only send a max of 1000 mA to the shocks. It's a method mag-ride programmers have been using for some time now.

4) precisely.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-21-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:50 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok the sun and the moon aligned today and I was able to get the right firmware uploaded into the DSC.

What did the firmware update have to do with the PDTS files? I wouldn't expect them to change unless they notified us or at least gave them updated names in the Calibration Files on their web site.

1-now that we have new firmware what PDTS file is recommended for us non Z06 folks?

2-I still want the plush in tour but not the float. None of those on the DSC Sport site have been updated that I can see, or am I missing something?

3-The Shock Calibration Table still bothers me in the Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s file.
Nothing has been done or addressed here about the percentages running from 200ma to 1500ma for a corvette in Track and 100ma to 1100ma in Sport but in Tour the high end stops at the OEM spec of 1000ma?
4-Was this done on purpose to get to ramp up values higher when the Fill Empty selection was used?

Guess I will reload Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s file until someone comes up with a Z51 file. I'm not an engineer and my brain hurts when I try to think about the impacts changes to these files might make if I do them myself.

Thanks Everyone for all the help, got 2nd in class sunday at an autocross with old firmware and a modified VIR file loaded. I'll try to put my PDR vids up later of my worst and best runs later today.
Fyi, i've noticed the VIR file accel table is backwards from the base file. Exactly backwards, I don't know if that's on purpose...

Also verify the PTM table is not 0 all across, that was something odd I found a while back that you should verify isn't the case.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-21-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:01 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
The New Firmware comes complete with pdts files, but you can re-install your own if you want.
The earlier Firmware had some bugs in the Velocity table and signals from that table were bleeding into some other tables affecting how the pdts file reacted.
The Firmware is something different than a pdts file.
It's what you might call the operating system, separate from a pdts file and controls how the pdts file works with whatever settings are in the file.
As you can see in my quote above, you can put your own files back in ( Tour Plush ) but the new Firmware improvements will change how they react a little bit.
In my case even with the improvements I made to tame Float, it was softer again with too much float with the new Firmware update.

The base pdts file .. which is Not a new file... that comes with the New Firmware, now Reacts very close to the Tour Plush file, but is more controlled with less float.

Maybe I misunderstand your concern...
but as far as the difference between Tour 1- 1000ma , Sport 100- 1100ma, and Track 200- 1500ma
They're like that simply because starting with Tour, each mode is progressively stiffer as they're supposed to be.
Otherwise they'd all be the same.
Either way it doesn't mean modifications can't be made to whatever pdts file is installed

I may be wrong with some of my info.
But that's the way I understand it with my expedience since installing the Updated Firmware.

Thanks Dif. I did not know the firmware came preloaded with a pdts file. I have reloaded the plush file and now after reading the latest post here wish I had not. Anyone know how I can get the post firmware pdts files?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Thanks Dif. I did not know the firmware came preloaded with a pdts file. I have reloaded the plush file and now after reading the latest post here wish I had not. Anyone know how I can get the post firmware pdts files?
its the original non-plush regular file available in the download section
Old 08-22-2017, 12:30 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
its the original non-plush regular file available in the download section
Yes, the Original Non Plush file is available from the DSC Download section.
PTMVelocityLaunchFinal pdts
Here's one in a Zip Folder.
Click to open, then click the Download arrow at the top right of your Browser.
In the Drop Down menu, drag and drop it to your Desktop.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Original NON-plush pdts file.zip (907 Bytes, 20 views)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,119 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Default Some Observations on the 8-14-17 Firmware

I like the comfort of the firmware in Tour, however it is too soft going over dips and rises at speed. I bottomed out at 80 mph. One way to address this would be to increase the percentage in the Speed table. However, I believe the core problem may be due to the signs being swapped in the Velocity table. I think the intent is to have a softer setting on the front shocks and a stiffer setting on the rear shocks during rebound. I compared the Velocity table settings on some other vehicles and this is consistent with their approach. A workaround would be to reverse the signs in the table. A downside of this is the ride will probably get rougher. I will probably give this a try when I have time but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else wants to try.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
I like the comfort of the firmware in Tour, however it is too soft going over dips and rises at speed. I bottomed out at 80 mph. One way to address this would be to increase the percentage in the Speed table. However, I believe the core problem may be due to the signs being swapped in the Velocity table. I think the intent is to have a softer setting on the front shocks and a stiffer setting on the rear shocks during rebound. I compared the Velocity table settings on some other vehicles and this is consistent with their approach. A workaround would be to reverse the signs in the table. A downside of this is the ride will probably get rougher. I will probably give this a try when I have time but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else wants to try.
I thought the same thing recently.
It dawned on me there's a greater percentage of bounce with the Rear of the car
Might have to do some more experimenting
Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dif
I thought the same thing recently.
It dawned on me there's a greater percentage of bounce with the Rear of the car
Might have to do some more experimenting
You know... I find it odd that every drive mode has the same velocity settings but just stiffer shock calibration tables. I think we should start separating those. I like to leave track mode alone and just play with the PTM settings because I trust Mike's expertise on track. However, it seems that the street settings are for us to dial in. Specially for Z51s.

Maybe we need to open up a DSC Sport Controller Z51 thread to make it easier to distinguish comments (There is one for z06 but this thread here is a lot more alive).

For example, someone asks "has anyone experienced this" and half of the responses are yes and half are no, we have to dig through to figure out who owns what car.

Or maybe even beter is we just need to add a blurb on every post saying Z51 or Z06 or GS or Z06/Z07 or GS/Z07. That would help. I wish this website had signatures.

Z51.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 08-22-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Good idea, as a member of the Z51 crowd!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

make sure to load firmware and eprom that embeds a new pdts file.
it is not a different file only the velocity is way more active in real time
and is active in the comfort area so you may get a nicer rider yet.

there is no change in map for a non z06 they are all mag shocks and are addressed the same as they have the same profile on the dyno.

Feel free to tune you can always reload the file

even though the range of the damper is 0-1000ma I go over and under to create the slope angle the damper has no issue at 2000ma we actually have a limit in the background.

all of the latest files have traction adder and launch control as well all have PTM modes do use this it is a really good tuning tool to match PTM to chassis. I tune my car in race mode and just wail the car into the corner and flat out lay the throttle into the traction control before the apex and fine tune the dampers with the PTM mode its bad ***. wish they allowed it in pro racing cause its the bomb. Caution dont try this at home or without adult supervision.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
You know... I find it odd that every drive mode has the same velocity settings but just stiffer shock calibration tables. I think we should start separating those. I like to leave track mode alone and just play with the PTM settings because I trust Mike's expertise on track. However, it seems that the street settings are for us to dial in. Specially for Z51s.

Maybe we need to open up a DSC Sport Controller Z51 thread to make it easier to distinguish comments (There is one for z06 but this thread here is a lot more alive).

For example, someone asks "has anyone experienced this" and half of the responses are yes and half are no, we have to dig through to figure out who owns what car.

Or maybe even beter is we just need to add a blurb on every post saying Z51 or Z06 or GS or Z06/Z07 or GS/Z07. That would help. I wish this website had signatures.

Z51.
Great ideas

I've only experimented with Shock Calibration and GForce tables in the Tour Plush settings.
Leaving Sport and Track alone.
I have no idea what to change or how the Velocity settings affect the shock reactions.
I like the base Tour file settings but want to experiment more with the Tour Plush settings again.

Pushing Tour Plush hard through an exit, it still digs in and handles great.
I presume All the modes do this in part with OEM rear shock settings so the rear will squat for better traction when pushing the car.
My concern with stiffening the rear shocks to tame the bounce might affect handling/traction.

Thinking of stiffening the Rear Tour Plush shocks settings on the high end of the graph bringing them slightly closer to the Sport shock settings.
Won't know without trying it

Z51

Last edited by Dif; 08-23-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
...I wish this website had signatures...
This website does have a "signature" feature!!!

I'll include a signature at the bottom of this post. If you don't see it, then you don't have the "Show Signatures" feature enabled for you when viewing the site.

Take a look at your User CP, scroll down to "Settings & Options", select "Edit Options", and then scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" section. In there you can click on the box next to "Show Signatures" to enable/disable that feature.

Also, in the "Settings & Options" section you can click on "Edit Signature" to go to the page where you can craft your own signature.

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by BEZ06
This website does have a "signature" feature!!!

I'll include a signature at the bottom of this post. If you don't see it, then you don't have the "Show Signatures" feature enabled for you when viewing the site.

Take a look at your User CP, scroll down to "Settings & Options", select "Edit Options", and then scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" section. In there you can click on the box next to "Show Signatures" to enable/disable that feature.

Also, in the "Settings & Options" section you can click on "Edit Signature" to go to the page where you can craft your own signature.

I have had "Show Signatures" enabled for 10 years and have never seen one sig on this sight, I just figured they were master disabled.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I have had "Show Signatures" enabled for 10 years and have never seen one sig on this sight, I just figured they were master disabled.
Just curious - can you see one on my post?

I see a lot of signatures.

Not everybody has one, and even if you have one you need to click the box "Show your signature" before you submit a post.

I only show my signature in a post occasionally. You should be able to see it at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 08-23-2017, 07:38 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

So you can turn it on or off, see the additional misc. options below, when you reply in advanced!

Last edited by AmmoVet; 08-23-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Just trying to see if my signature shows...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Just trying to see if my signature shows...
Is there a way to make "Show your signature" the default in advanced reply?

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations