Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm glad I fished a USB cable up into the engine bay, that sure made doing the 8-28 update much easier and I'm glad it worked with the controller plugged in.

Anyone get to put some miles on it or done any track days? I'd love to hear some feedback since I don't plan to take the GS out for a couple weeks. The roads have all kinds of crap on them and there is still high water around.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
^ Clay, I might be missing your point
But are you referring to making changes to pdts files, or recent multiple Updates to the Firmware.

There were problems in the Original Firmware in the Velocity table.
DSC fixed this with the 08-14-17 Firmware, but one Bug remained.
Hence the reason for the 08-28-17 Firmware which should be good now.

In my Quote, I wanted to alert others that are modifying their files.
Some of us, and I presume Mike too, are tweaking pdts Files, but in different "modes", for different reasons.
But, the 08-28-17 Firmware changed how the pdts files work now, modified or not.

In my case, I'm trying to perfect Tour Mode to my liking.
Sport and Track are fine IMO.
With the 08-14-17 Firmware, my Tour mode was perfect for "me" .
My friend down the street is also running my Tour pdts file in his Base Vert / MSRC and likes it.
With the 08-28-17 Firmware installed, he also mentioned a slightly stiffer ride now.
With that feedback, at least I know it's not my imagination

Either way, now we can modify our files knowing the Firmware is working correctly.
YMMV
PS: Yes, it's very possible we actually are OC
Frank, I was just being a little philosophical last night. Virtually everyone was initially so amazed with the massive improvement over OEM with the original firmware, and now we seem to be obsessed w/ the minor tweaks. I'm not immune, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective and not react to all the ways it's possible to tweak these things.

I really thrashed my car today on the drive to work and back home, because DC and the burbs are relatively empty in August just before Labor Day. Based upon your comments, I think I'm going stick with the 8/14 firmware for awhile, because I think it's great and was a noticeable upgrade. My Tour mode is now just the right amount of soft and firm.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

^ I hear you Clay
I was happy with the original improvements until I installed the Tour Plush.
That spoiled me
Especially after the 08-14-17 Firmware update and haven't ruled out putting it back in.
As I said, I don't think we're all looking for the same thing from the Controller so it's nice to have the options.
Have a good Holiday

Last edited by Dif; 09-01-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Quick questions:
Will DSC do an install of their controller unit in my Mag Ride equipped C7 on somewhat short notice, if I am driving through there on my return from MacMulkin Chev?

Is there an up charge for them to do the installation above the cost of the controller? If so, how much?
any time call when your on the way no charge too simple big thing is chassis setup come in early and we will set the rear caster and all the setting its well worth it for anyone with a C7 its huge and makes the DSCsport controller even more incredible
Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
^ Anytime Firmware is installed/updated, the Shocks need to be Zeroed again.
Firmware can be installed without disconnecting the Controller.
And needs to be done with the car completely Off.
Afterwards, power up the ignition with engine Off and use the Program Software to verify the new Firmware Version.
I did mine and a friend's that way.
Hmmmmm....the only reason I haven't run a USB cable from the DSC to my engine bay is because they say you need to disconnect the controller after the firmware update...can others verify if in fact they haven't had to disconnect the controller after the firmware update?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Hmmmmm....the only reason I haven't run a USB cable from the DSC to my engine bay is because they say you need to disconnect the controller after the firmware update...can others verify if in fact they haven't had to disconnect the controller after the firmware update?
I didn't need to remove the controller when I did my firmware update last week. Will update to the latest firmware later today.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

In the video it says the car needs to be powered off. I just run the cord outside the window, close the door, wait 10 munites and do the do. Simple
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

So two questions to the audience, After a firmware update do Shocks need to be Zeroed again, didn't hear that on the video, is a pdts file installed at the time of the firmware and eprom? I love the controller and usually not a complainer but IMO DSC's directions can be somewhat vague and or lacking on these things.
The following 2 users liked this post by cheapthrills:
Flyingscot (09-01-2017), PeteC7 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm sick, I had the DSC controller installed just a month ago (no USB cable) and now new firmware. Just my luck!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
So two questions to the audience, After a firmware update do Shocks need to be Zeroed again, didn't hear that on the video, is a pdts file installed at the time of the firmware and eprom? I love the controller and usually not a complainer but IMO DSC's directions can be somewhat vague and or lacking on these things.
From what I understand they don't have to be zeroed, operation won't be affected...however if you want correct measurements for reference and adjustment later then zeroing would be advised...
Old 09-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve Carter
I'm sick, I had the DSC controller installed just a month ago (no USB cable) and now new firmware. Just my luck!

It's not that big of a deal to remove / access...you don't have to take off the wheel just turn it all the way to the left and you can take out the screws etc and access...
The following users liked this post:
Steve Carter (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 AM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I agree with the vagueness but yes you do have to re-zero the shocks. I did both the 8-14 and 8-28 firmware updated and my travel was way off each time requiring me to re-zero.
cheapthrills (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nyvetteguy007
Anytime Firmware is installed, the shocks need to be Zero'd afterwards.
They don't need to be done again when changing, installing, new pdts files.

Don't know how it's done with Wi-Fi.
But with USB connection, the car needs to be powered Off, no Ignition mode, no Accessory mode.
Open the DSC Utility and plug the USB cable into the Laptop and Install the Firmware.
After the Firmware is installed, pull the USB cord out of the Laptop and plug it back in again.
That powers down and resets the Controller and works the same as unplugging the Controller from the car.
I've done it this way twice now without removing the Controller.

Then unplug the USB cord from the Laptop, put the car into Ignition mode, open the "Programming" Software and plug the USB cable in again.
Then you can read the file and Firmware Version in the Controller.
And add or modify pdts files.

To confirm the Firmware Version:
In the Programming Software, click Tools, then Test Serial Port.
In the drop down menu click Start.
In the long space to the left type the letter V, then click Send.
In the bigger space to the right, the Firmware Version in the Controller will appear.

Yes the Firmware comes with pdts file when it's installed.
Flyingscot (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:39 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dif
Anytime Firmware is installed, the shocks need to be Zero'd afterwards.
They don't need to be done again when changing, installing, new pdts files.

Don't know how it's done with Wi-Fi.
But with USB connection, the car needs to be powered Off, no Ignition mode, no Accessory mode.
Open the DSC Utility and plug the USB cable into the Laptop and Install the Firmware.
After the Firmware is installed, pull the USB cord out of the Laptop and plug it back in again.
That powers down and resets the Controller and works the same as unplugging the Controller from the car.
I've done it this way twice now without removing the Controller.

Then unplug the USB cord from the Laptop, put the car into Ignition mode, open the "Programming" Software and plug the USB cable in again.
Then you can read the file and Firmware Version in the Controller.
And add or modify pdts files.

To confirm the Firmware Version:
In the Programming Software, click Tools, then Test Serial Port.
In the drop down menu click Start.
In the long space to the left type the letter V, then click Send.
In the bigger space to the right, the Firmware Version in the Controller will appear.

Yes the Firmware comes with pdts file when it's installed.
See these details don't seem to be included with DSC's vid or anything else of there's. Without users I think I wouldn't have a clue on the correct way to do this. Even then there sometimes can be conflicting opinions such as the fact in the last several post you do and don't need to re-zero.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

So you can't re zero the shocks without the ignition on? From the video it seemed everything had to be done with the ignition off.

DSC, can you post the correct way to re zero the shocks?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok bear with me here, just a heads up.
When I experiment modifying my Tour settings, I only Write the Tour table of the pdts file into the controller.
I do not Write the complete pdts file over.

A friend just texted me and noticed the settings in Track in the new 08-28-17 Firmware pdts file, are the "same" as Sport.
I had Saved that pdts file and just checked it.
And the G settings and Shock settings in Sport and Track, do both Look the same

So anyone running the base pdts files that came with the 08-28-17 Firmware should check the Sport and Track settings in the Controller !

If you re-installed any previous "Complete" pdts file of your preference into the Controller you should be good.

Anyone else notice this?
DSC ?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5racr1
So you can't re zero the shocks without the ignition on? From the video it seemed everything had to be done with the ignition off.

DSC, can you post the correct way to re zero the shocks?
Only the Firmware Needs to be installed with the Ignition Off.

The Ignition needs to be On to Read and Write files, .. and to Zero the shocks.
The shocks need Current flowing to them in order to Zero them

Last edited by Dif; 09-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

See these details don't seem to be included with DSC's vid or anything else of there's. Without users I think I wouldn't have a clue on the correct way to do this. Even then there sometimes can be conflicting opinions such as the fact in the last several post you do and don't need to re-zero.
What's happening is anyone just getting into doing things with this Controller, are Confusing what needs to be done installing the Firmware using the DSC Utility Software, with what needs to be done using the Programing Software to Read or Write/install pdts files and ... Zeroing the shocks.

It takes some time.
But I viewed the many DSC Training videos multiple times and again, it takes some time, but 90% of the correct info is in them

Last edited by Dif; 09-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

But they really should just tell the basic steps for a firmware install in an 1, 2 ,3 what you need to do and don't need to. Just saying
Old 09-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations