Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:38 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
We talked about that, and I'll leave that to Mike/DSC team to explain, but the most important takeaway is that increased processor speed isn't going to do anything for the current C7, and that wasn't the cause of the problem anyway.
Foosh great seeing you today.
Let me put out a real explanation from the horses mouth. The current DSCsport controller is the same board processor layout and connector it has always been even from the same production batch.
There has been one component added ( mid june) to the board a power supply chip. It is however responsive to heat and the range was to be over 220f but it is also a function of the heat sink on the board. We have elected at our expense of coarse to exchange any unit found to have an issue as we have always had a very open door policy warrantying race track and anything no question asked regardless of where it is purchased.
We have the new board now it features a PWM power supply chip and is more than overkill and produces almost no heat. So we do have the solution. The only reason I had to install a power supply chip was the demand of the Camaro and more GM cars.
Yes the firmware has been upgraded many times but this was never due to processor or any hardware changes its just me chasing the holly grail in motorsports VELOCITY control and tuning. The new firmware has state of the art Velocity control and is fully functioning.
Look at the new UI 1.6.7 look in velocity the corvette is the first car ever to have adj bump stop. Please dont use the tables yet I built them for the electric car market first due to weight. We will be using it in Rally also but it may be huge in the race track tuning!!!!!!
Thanks for being such a vital part of DSCsport I cannot thank the Corvette community enough for all the support and help.
Michael Levitas
The following 3 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Dif (10-11-2017), Foosh (10-11-2017), rb185afm (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Great seeing you too, Mike. Love the new settings!

And BTW, the Corvette community can't thank you enough.
The following users liked this post:
DSC Sport (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:57 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Thanks for being such a vital part of DSC Sport. I cannot thank the Corvette community enough for all the support and help.

Michael Levitas
Originally Posted by Foosh
Great seeing you too, Mike. Love the new settings!

And BTW, the Corvette community can't thank you enough.
Mike/Foosh, damn guys, just go ahead and get a room...
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Love you too, Rick! You got me into this.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I just ran the latest firmware on the track this past weekend and the car was phenomenal. It was a new track, first time I ever drove it, so I can't compare to the old firmware but I have no complaints in how the car behaved.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeteC7:
DSC Sport (10-12-2017), Foosh (10-11-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

For those who have not seen the email sent by DSC to customers a few minutes ago, it's reprinted below and offers a very clear and full explanation of the "service suspension" warning, along with options for replacement.

"Service Suspension" message from controller batch 07/29/2017
As you may already be aware, some DSC Sport users (in the C7, Camaro, and Mustang markets) have been experiencing a “service suspension” error light on their dash directly after or within a few weeks of installing their DSC Sport controllers.

Although we are sincerely humbled by and apologetic for this inconvenience, we are happy to announce that we have diagnosed the problem, identified a solution, and are working swiftly to provide the solution to our loyal customers.

“Service Suspension” error
The “Service Suspension” error appears on the dash, typically immediately after install or within a few weeks of using the DSC Sport controller. The error message represents a loss in communication with the suspension controller (whether it is the OEM unit or the DSC Sport controller). This loss in communication results in no mA signal being sent to the dampers. As a result, the dampers default to full soft mode.

It is highly recommended if you are experiencing intermittent “Service Suspension” error messages that you do not use the DSC Sport controller at the track or for spirited driving. The vehicle will still be safe for leisurely driving, but could result in dangerous conditions at high speeds and/or g-forces.

Diagnosis
In our most recent production batch of controllers, DSC Sport had to add a power supply chip for use with the Camaro platform and 2018+ vehicles. Unfortunately, in doing so, it appears some units are experiencing issues with the power supply overheating, which causes the unit to shut down to avoid any physical damage.

Solution
DSC Sport is currently manufacturing a new batch of controllers with an upgraded power supply chip that produces little to no heat. We expect these units to be ready to ship in 3-4 weeks. The units will be tested at our facility before they are released to customers.

What does this mean for me?
If you have purchased a unit that is defective you have one of two options:
1. Return the unit for a full refund. We will notify you once the new batch arrives in the event you would like to purchase again.
2. Return the unit anytime between now and the ship date for new controllers, maintain your order with us, and be placed on a priority mailing list. You will be guaranteed a controller from the next batch and it will ship before any new orders (if you choose option 1 and buy again, this will be considered a “new order” and you will not retain priority status).
If you are a new customer and wish to purchase a DSC Sport unit, you have three options:
1. Purchase the unit and be placed on a backorder list. These orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they are received after we fill priority mailing orders for customers (see option 2 above for customers who have already purchased a unit that is defective).
2. We can ship a unit from this batch, which may or may not work for your vehicle. If it does not work, you can return the unit and select Option 1 or 3.
3. Sign up for our mailing list for C7 controllers, and we will notify you when the new batch is in and ready to ship.
Returns & Replacements
Please contact a DSC Sport representative prior to returning your DSC Sport controller (whether for refund or to be placed on the priority mailing list). When shipping, be sure to include your contact info including:
• Full Name
• Shipping Address
• Email Address
• Phone Number
• Vehicle Year/Make/Model
• Preferred option for resolution (return for refund, priority mailing, etc.)

Do I have a defective unit?
This defect affects between 30-40% of C7, Camaro, or Mustang GT350 controllers (all three vehicles utilize the same controller) shipped on or after 7/29/2017. If you have a defective unit, the “service suspension” light will appear on your dash either immediately, or within a few weeks after install. If no “service suspension” light appears, then your unit should not be affected.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

So I have been out of the DSC loop for a while, question is, what is the latest on the firmware update? does the calibration file that come with it have a true sport and track difference? last I heard they seem to be the same. Looking to update the firmware again but really want everything done once and right the first time. Thanks for any help DSC guru's

Last edited by cheapthrills; 10-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, there is a noticeable difference between Sport and Track, and the latest firmware (8/28) adds velocity to the algorithms, which is a first in the industry. There also a new 8/31 pdts file, which is excellent.

It just keeps getting better and better. There is no current plan for another firmware update, but everyone should understand that Mike is never satisfied, and as he said above, will always be "chasing the holy grail" of better handling sports cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
cheapthrills (10-12-2017), DSC Sport (10-13-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Just had the newest firmware update done today with the 8/31 file.

SWEET.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Croc999
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** happens, errors can occur.
as long as the vendor takes responsibility and fix it - that's fine.
i wish all vendors and manufacturers would deal with issues the same way as TPC does.
DSC Sport (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Dang I was about to order one of these. 3-4 track weekends over the next 6-8 weeks. Maybe they will get it squared away soon. Not sure if I want to gamble on the older unit.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

You have nothing to lose by ordering it now. You have a 60-70% chance it will be fine, and if it's not, you'll be first in line for one of the new units if you have the "service suspension" malfunction message. If it's a bad unit, you'll know it almost immediately, and if it's a good unit you'll be fine from there on.

It won't cost you anything extra. They already have it squared away, they're just waiting for the units with the new power supply chip to be manufactured and shipped.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

I’m worried it will happen on track. And end up ruining a day or a couple time trial sessions
Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Drive it before going to the track. You'll know if it's bad almost immediately. If it's bad, put the OEM unit back in, and go to the track, and you'll be in the same situation as you are now. It only takes 15-30 minutes to install.

Waiting will only put you further back on the list, and there's a much better than even chance, you'll get a good one.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

The latest calibration file are tunes modified for the car under each mode correct. And like a pcm tune they can be altered to specific needs.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, that's right. But, I would highly recommend you just stick with the files it comes with. Those are Mike's recommendations for best set-up in Tour, Sport, Track, and Track/PTM. Try it out that way first, and then you can start tinkering according to your preferences.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Nope. I don’t want to mess with it. I know I’m the beginning it seemed like you or someone needed to really Know your needs to tune them. And that worried me

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

No, you don't need to do a thing. The guy who developed and programmed it is a world-class race driver and suspension engineer. I can't see any way I'd make the car better than he already has.

However, many can't resist the urge to tinker, and, of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Mike could have closed the system, but he purposely gave people the ability to tinker with it.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2017 at 12:57 AM.
DSC Sport (10-16-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

So when you update the firmware and eprom on the latest update will that one process install calibration files? If so which ones and are they different then the latest ones posted? My controller is presently out of the car waiting for a new home. If no calibration files are loaded with the firmware can they be done while the controller is out of the car. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

^ cheapthrills, .. yes all Firmware versions come with calibration files installed.
But, they're "generic" pdts file and you should install the Newest pdts file.
A USB connection from a laptop will power up the Controller.
I've updated my pdts file that way with the Controller still in the car, without activating the electrical system in anyway.
I never tried it with the Controller out of the car, but presume it can be done, using a USB cable.
Won't hurt to try it

Last edited by Dif; 10-29-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations