Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, I've had a DSC in my two M7 C7s. However, transmission type is irrelevant. The launch mode is built into the DSC controller algorithm. It requires no driver action.

I was responding to a question about launching or standing start acceleration. You're talking about road course handling, which is an entirely different animal. I agree with you that is where the DSC really shines.

Trust me, you want your car to squat more if you're launching at WOT from a standing or low speed start, and the DSC automatically delivers that in all modes.
Great review, thanks again. I’m sure for the M7 that is very noticeable improvement for launch and slow speed acceleration.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

As I recall launch control, which is really more of a launch assist as it only affects suspension and not torque management, is activated by being at a dead stop, clutch in and a quick engine rev.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by 65sohc
As I recall launch control, which is really more of a launch assist as it only affects suspension and not torque management, is activated by being at a dead stop, clutch in and a quick engine rev.
That's how it works OEM from GM and you have to physically Activate it before it will work.
With the DSC Controller, it automatically works/activates by itself when you floor it.
The following users liked this post:
tbrenny33 (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dif
That's how it works OEM from GM and you have to physically Activate it before it will work.
With the DSC Controller, it automatically works/activates by itself when you floor it.
It'll still work the same as normal (actually better) with the normal launch control I presume? I only ask because on the street LC/harder acceleration is typically more consistent. Sounds like a huge improvement over stock.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrenny33
Hey guys, I have a question and I have tried finding an answer but it’s real hard to read through all 88 pages! I’ve read all the Great benefits on the street and at the track. Does anyone know if it’s beneficial for launching/acceleration? Does it improve the ability to put the power down?
The launch mode may be the coolest feature. If you download the tuning software 1.8.3 and go to help and turn on the help dialog then open the Accel tab there is a complete launch and Accel tuning parameter . The help even explains how to engage it's the same as launching car grip is insane. I even have the clutch mapped out great for autocross and drag race starts . You can map out the 60 foot. There is also the Accel table to map out throttle rate of change . I've actually timed the compressor by pass valve to drive the rear tire down and slow the wt transfer from the front. It's my best work really
Have fun
Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
The launch mode may be the coolest feature. If you download the tuning software 1.8.3 and go to help and turn on the help dialog then open the Accel tab there is a complete launch and Accel tuning parameter . The help even explains how to engage it's the same as launching car grip is insane. I even have the clutch mapped out great for autocross and drag race starts . You can map out the 60 foot. There is also the Accel table to map out throttle rate of change . I've actually timed the compressor by pass valve to drive the rear tire down and slow the wt transfer from the front. It's my best work really
Have fun
Wow! Damn that’s awesome. I’m sure your programmed setup is perfect, but it’s really cool that we’re able to make adjustments. I bet this really benefits M7 owners launching abilities and those 60 ft times.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Have fun
can you adjust the launch control rpm? I’ve noticed in all PTM modes it launches from about the rpm level.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrenny33

can you adjust the launch control rpm? I’ve noticed in all PTM modes it launches from about the rpm level.
Everything about the DSC is suspension only, if it's not suspension then no, so um no.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The above is correct that the DSC only alters the MSRC suspension aspects of launch control. It doesn't affect any of the other OEM mode or launch control features.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Everything about the DSC is suspension only, if it's not suspension then no, so um no.
The above is correct that the DSC only alters the MSRC suspension aspects of launch control. It doesn't affect any of the other OEM mode or launch control features.
Thanks for the clarification. That is what I expected, but wasn’t sure if maybe it was a parameter that was linked and adjustable. It definitely sounds like a major improvement.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Cheap,

While your and a few others experiences may have been a frustrating ones, the vast majority of us just plug the DSC in, don't mess with any of Mike's factory settings, or worry about firmware upgrades without ever having a problem, and it is still is superior to the GM MSRC upgrade even if you're running their original settings. My experience has been a simple plug and play.

My new car came with the new GM calibrations, which I evaluated for 3K miles before putting the DSC back in. While the new GM settings are better than the old ones, the DSC is still significantly better.
I followed all the posts over the last year and a half or so and based on your feedback along with others, I elected to go with the DSC controller instead of the the GM update on my 2016 Z06. My car is for street only use, so I just did the plug and play with the plush tour settings direct from Mike. As others have said, the improvement is dramatic, not the least bit subtle. The DSC controller, DSC alignment settings and the non run flat Conti Extreme Contact tires completely transform the street driving experience. Tour mode is now very comfortable on rougher pavement and sport mode can be used on all smooth and somewhat rougher roads. Tramlining is completely gone ( 85 percent was gone with just the DSC controller installed and the rest with the Conti’s installed as well). Track mode can now be used on the street without worry of rim tire damage unless traveling over fairly rough pavement or worse. Handling is awesome as well. So glad I went with the DSC controller instead of the what sounds like more of a halfway effort for a fabulous street ride improvement with the GM update.
The following 2 users liked this post by musclecar6:
Foosh (08-15-2018), speedlink (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Have fun
Can I send you a file I have tried to set up just for autocross and have you take a look at it and make recommendations or changes where needed?
i want to leave TOUR and SPORT settings alone and just modify the TRACK settings for a dialed in AUTOCROSS experience. My car is a 2016 Z51.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:39 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Any new eta on the new boards? I have not had a chance to call in.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SFCTeach
Any new eta on the new boards? I have not had a chance to call in.
Im heading to Germany wed 29th when I get back the connector s should be here boards are done been done just have to marry the connector and case should be mid sept latest. Ill be gone for 2 weeks driving the Nordschleife and spa. My idea of a getaway with my son Harris.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Questar
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Im heading to Germany wed 29th when I get back the connector s should be here boards are done been done just have to marry the connector and case should be mid sept latest. Ill be gone for 2 weeks driving the Nordschleife and spa. My idea of a getaway with my son Harris.
Will the new board work in our ZR1’s? Been waiting patiently.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:30 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Questar

Will the new board work in our ZR1’s? Been waiting patiently.
I think the old boards will I'll get back on the 18 up to include the zr1 but the new board may offer future updates to the zr1
Old 09-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Saw this a bit too late, hope you had a nice trip to our green "heaven" or hell, :-)

I will fly down and see how Lou will do sept. 25th.
Five friends will drive the same event, i was to late to book, so it was full.

I sure hope you now can get our product bought to work with PTM on 2018 cars.....
I put it in track and turn off T/C, but would like to see PTM choices

Well keep us posted

regards
Rune

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-14-2018, 06:39 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Saw this a bit too late, hope you had a nice trip to our green "heaven" or hell, :-)

I will fly down and see how Lou will do sept. 25th.
Five friends will drive the same event, i was to late to book, so it was full.

I sure hope you now can get our product bought to work with PTM on 2018 cars.....
I put it in track and turn off T/C, but would like to see PTM choices

Well keep us posted

regards
Rune
Rune I'm hoping to get my 2019 soon or get in a friend 18 to figure out why we get or don't get ptm problem is the car I had here I got the ptm but it finally failed so maybe that will help.
Green hell is true to form Lou better be a local there to set any records . And or drive taxi or qualify to run gt3 or gt4
The following users liked this post:
Z06Norway (09-14-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:24 AM
SFCTeach
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Rune I'm hoping to get my 2019 soon or get in a friend 18 to figure out why we get or don't get ptm problem is the car I had here I got the ptm but it finally failed so maybe that will help.
Green hell is true to form Lou better be a local there to set any records . And or drive taxi or qualify to run gt3 or gt4
Are the new boards in yet to address the Service Suspension issue on the 2017s?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Z51:

after toying with the settings of my board for months and months and trying to like it, I just put the stock board back in and wow! The difference is insane. With the board, the car was bouncing up and down, bumps at 100 mph were very unsettling. This anywhere from 0 mA to 300 mA base setting. I know the board was working because it was reacting to my changes and drive mode changes. Going back to the stock board was a huge improvement. My GF that is not a car person at all said, wow it's not bouncing anymore. I went through all my usual bumps and drives and it's just much more comforting. My turning point is I hit an ondulation at 120mph in track mode "in mexico" and it really unsettled the car. Did the same thing with the stock board yesterday and the car soaked it up. Odd to explain but it wasn't doing 1 dip and settle but rather two. Also, big bumps would almost bottom out the shock. it felt like it wouldn't get any stiffer as shock compressed (like if the shock had the same dampening throughout the whole stroke). Stock controller stiffens as it compresses as far as I can tell.

I will say that I've already lost a good bit of traction from the loss of weight transfer in the stock board. So that will be something I'll have to watch for at track-out and getting on power. I'll be on track tomorrow to validate that aspect of it. Note that I did not see a distinct laptime improvement when I first installed the board nor after trying 5% to 25% more dampening than the stock tune (basically same times).

I understand GS, Z06 and Z07 cars can really benefit from the softer dampening but the z51 springs are too soft in comparison. If you don't see this as an issue or just got used to it, you need to go back to stock and compare. If I had the energy, expertise and time, I'd slowly chip away at the tune but that's just not something I'm willing to do for a car I only drive once a week. I'll be selling the perfectly good board this week to any good z06 home that wants it.

great system, just not for me.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 09-17-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations