Old 10-05-2018, 10:31 PM
Tim Porreca
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18, '19

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Mike,

When will the C7 controller become available?
Will the new controller work with the older C7 mag shocks?

I liked my V2 and V3 controllers, but wound up selling them. I am looking to get back to one, but they have been unavailable. I called back in August to order and found they where on backorder. Now we are in October and the status is still backorder. Any insight on when the controllers will be available for purchase?
ordered mine in July...still waiting... I’ve seen a few pop up on the Buy/Sell Forum since then and some retailers seem to have stock now and again.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:46 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

For my car, the DSC controller does not set any ECM codes or flash any warnings on the instrument display.
However, the monthly Onstar report shows warnings about a communication problem on the CAN bus, so most systems in the report are yellow warning triangles.
With the factory controller, all systems are OK (green).

Does anyone else see this effect on the Onstar report using the DSC controller?
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

My own personal observation of DSC is that they make a very good product but totally lack in customer service and meeting their own commitments. I have been waiting for the PTM settings since I bought my controller and was told at the time "it will be ready in a couple of weeks" and that was many months ago. They haven't responded to my email inquires as to when it would be ready. I see others on here have the same issues. Suggestion to DSC; get promises filled, only deliver units that are customer ready, and give us real dates . I would love to see forum members boycott any further purchases until they just do what they say when they say it, I don't think that is too much to ask. I would have much rather been told when I made my purchase that while the unit will work, it lacks PTM and it won't be ready for ???, and then let me decide if I wanted to go ahead with my purchase.
The following 2 users liked this post by tome:
ashmostro (10-19-2018), dmagee (02-04-2019)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I've never seen or heard of your OnStar symptoms being tied to a DSC controller. It didn't happen on my 14 or 18. Even though PTM doesn't work on my '18, I don't get any error codes on OnStar or anywhere else. It doesn't allow me to enter the PTM menu, but all the normal modes work perfectly.

I also agree that I'm beginning to lose patience w/ the promise to get the PTM problem fixed on 18 and later MYs. However, I've also had a half-dozen conversations with Mike about it, and he is trying. They just haven't yet isolated exactly what the problem is.

I delayed installing the DSC in my 18 until Mike thought he had it fixed in late spring/early summer. He called and asked me to bring it in so he could test it on my Z51. He was surprised and frustrated that the PTM fix didn't work. He is trying. I still much prefer the DSC normal modes to the OEM MSRC upgrades, but I do miss PTM.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ashmostro (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Bump stops

Does anyone have any practical experience with the bump stops in the velocity tab? I would like to use them to avoid bottoming out the rear shocks when I have a passenger and stuff in the trunk.

I think I would need to be in the "Compression" part.
I assume the "Start" value would be where the shock starts slowing down its compression (say at 20 mm ?), the "Stop" value is where I want the shock to stop compressing completely (say at 25 mm ?). But what about the "Current"? Is that an indication of the slow down rate?

Does this make sense? Anyway played with this?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
kensredvette2 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,119 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyRed77
Does anyone have any practical experience with the bump stops in the velocity tab? I would like to use them to avoid bottoming out the rear shocks when I have a passenger and stuff in the trunk.

I assume the "Start" value would be where the shock starts slowing down its compression (say at 20 mm ?), the "Stop" value is where I want the shock to stop compressing completely (say at 25 mm ?). But what about the "Current"? Is that an indication of the slow down rate?

Thanks
I don't have any experience with this but yes it makes sense. To make it work well you would want the controller to take velocity into consideration as well as position. That way it wouldn't make it stiffer if it is already going to stop before bottoming out anyway.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:49 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

I am also moving toward the opinion that the DSC velocity tuning rather than the damper cal table is key to gaining the mix of smoother ride without 'float' or 'bottoming'. I will not be able to do testing for a while with the DSC, so I am looking forward to feedback from those that tinker with the velocity settings. Cranking up the damper current at the low end of the DSC cal table is kinda the 'old school' approach. MRC should be able to deal with boulevard conditions without being 'surprised' by a bump or dip.

Good luck and looking for some feedback. For the moment, I am running the GM MRC Update, which is not quite as good in steady state, but much better at transient conditions and doesn't raise errors with the monthly GM onstar diagnostics report.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensredvette2
For my car, the DSC controller does not set any ECM codes or flash any warnings on the instrument display.
However, the monthly Onstar report shows warnings about a communication problem on the CAN bus, so most systems in the report are yellow warning triangles.
With the factory controller, all systems are OK (green).

Does anyone else see this effect on the Onstar report using the DSC controller?
I am having a problem with the OnStar diagnostic report, but I didn't connect it with the DSC controller installation. The error message on the report is "We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port." Too much trouble to switch out the controller and put the OEM one back in to see if that's the reason. I don't have anything plugged into the OBD port.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:38 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

^^^^^^ That's the DSC controller effect on the onstar report. The alert does go away with the stock controller.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I am also moving toward the opinion that the DSC velocity tuning rather than the damper cal table is key to gaining the mix of smoother ride without 'float' or 'bottoming'. I will not be able to do testing for a while with the DSC, so I am looking forward to feedback from those that tinker with the velocity settings. Cranking up the damper current at the low end of the DSC cal table is kinda the 'old school' approach. MRC should be able to deal with boulevard conditions without being 'surprised' by a bump or dip.

Good luck and looking for some feedback. For the moment, I am running the GM MRC Update, which is not quite as good in steady state, but much better at transient conditions and doesn't raise errors with the monthly GM onstar diagnostics report.
The velocity can be used for ride but your way better off raising the gforce parameters in the speed table from .25 to .3 or .35 then you have more dependence on the speed for heave . In the gtable for low speed increase default from 1 to 8 fine tune to your taste . I would way prefer this to velocity as velocity is really used for performance use and the speed and gtable default are for touring
Let me know if this makes sense
Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Thanks
Yes your on the right track bump stop is huge make sure to fill in all the values I want to post a bump stop map but it requires proper ride ht zeroing as it's dependant on static height . Build your tuning file and email it to me I'm glad to edit it or start a DSC bump stop thread then others are not confused . It's a powerful tool if used properly
Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

See my last remark on tuning default in Gtable and using the speed table more by upping the gforce parameters
Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tome
My own personal observation of DSC is that they make a very good product but totally lack in customer service and meeting their own commitments. I have been waiting for the PTM settings since I bought my controller and was told at the time "it will be ready in a couple of weeks" and that was many months ago. They haven't responded to my email inquires as to when it would be ready. I see others on here have the same issues. Suggestion to DSC; get promises filled, only deliver units that are customer ready, and give us real dates . I would love to see forum members boycott any further purchases until they just do what they say when they say it, I don't think that is too much to ask. I would have much rather been told when I made my purchase that while the unit will work, it lacks PTM and it won't be ready for ???, and then let me decide if I wanted to go ahead with my purchase.
Tome sorry for any frustration I take allot of pride and passion into everything we do and I do and so etomes that means I'm spred thin . I love to share this passion with the Corvette community as I fell in love with sports cars with my first real sports car a 66 Vette that I had in college . Since then my passion is chassis tuning and racing . Please let me know how I can help you. You can always get me by email direct or even call the race shop I'm typically either there on the shock Dyno or at the race track
Regards
Old 10-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by NOMRW8NG
I am having a problem with the OnStar diagnostic report, but I didn't connect it with the DSC controller installation. The error message on the report is "We were unable to successfully complete a diagnostic test. This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port." Too much trouble to switch out the controller and put the OEM one back in to see if that's the reason. I don't have anything plugged into the OBD port.
Same errors here with the DSC.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Tim Porreca
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18, '19

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Its happening connectors are at the final assembly house we will bench flash the following week and bench test every unit
Got this response from DSP Sport today.

"Hey Tim, controllers are in at HQ being bench tested for approval for shipment. You should be getting a shipping notification by the end of the week once the engineer has cleared thru the new inventory."

Last edited by Tim Porreca; 10-24-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:59 PM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tractive setup question

For those that upgraded to Tractive RT or RTx, can you provide some feedback vs. stock MR+DSC controller specifically on the track?
  • I know the shocks have more range than MR, so does it mean it can go stiffer than MR can? I feel MR with DSC still have 2 much body roll, and too soft for smooth tracks like Laguna. My fronts compresses too much going down corkscrew and scrubs the fender well extension everytime!
  • Did you get it with the Swift springs for a full coilover? Thanks!

Last edited by amuseti; 10-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by amuseti
For those that upgraded to Tractive RT or RTx, can you provide some feedback vs. stock MR+DSC controller specifically on the track?
  • I know the shocks have more range than MR, so does it mean it can go stiffer than MR can? I feel MR with DSC still have 2 much body roll, and too soft for smooth tracks like Laguna. My fronts compresses too much going down corkscrew and scrubs the fender well extension everytime!
  • Did you get it with the Swift springs for a full coilover?
Thanks,
David
David the tractive are amazing il try to post some dyno graphs to give everyone an idea of the range difference the only draw back to the MR other than heat is the dynamic range they really only control low speed range 0-2"/sec a full range mono tube shock or a race shock is 0-20"/sec the most critical is 0-2"/sec to control the initial hit of the tire and 2-6"/sec is critical to control the chassis and the high velocity wheel movements. you will find increase in entry speed as well as a better exit due to the full range of the shock you still have all the ride quality of the MR and you dont have the heat problems assoc. with the MR at high load. when you can download our tuning software and look at the velocity tables
Regards Michael

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM
amuseti
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

David the tractive are amazing il try to post some dyno graphs to give everyone an idea of the range difference the only draw back to the MR other than heat is the dynamic range they really only control low speed range 0-2"/sec a full range mono tube shock or a race shock is 0-20"/sec the most critical is 0-2"/sec to control the initial hit of the tire and 2-6"/sec is critical to control the chassis and the high velocity wheel movements. you will find increase in entry speed as well as a better exit due to the full range of the shock you still have all the ride quality of the MR and you dont have the heat problems assoc. with the MR at high load. when you can download our tuning software and look at the velocity tables
Regards Michael
Thanks Michael, and do you have any input on using stock leaf springs vs. switching to the swift coil springs?
Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 PM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes your on the right track bump stop is huge make sure to fill in all the values I want to post a bump stop map but it requires proper ride ht zeroing as it's dependant on static height . Build your tuning file and email it to me I'm glad to edit it or start a DSC bump stop thread then others are not confused . It's a powerful tool if used properly
Thanks Mike, I will email you my file.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Thanks Mike, I will email you my file.
I believe I just sent you back the bump stop file I updated the velocity section to put down more grip on accel and filled in the bump tables write all I just flashed a board here works perfect you must reset ride ht verify with the data this is the critical part when using the bump stop or you could always be on the stop got it

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations