Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Keep in mind there were bugs in the early firmware. The ones I found were the speed table not working correctly, rebound and compression were swapped, and the signs were swapped (increasing the percentage was decreasing the damping). There may have been others. The 8-14 firmware corrected the speed table and rebound/compression but not the swapped signs. The 8-28 firmware corrected the swapped signs. Mike had confirmed the bugs and I can now confirm they are all corrected with the latest firmware.
With all of these changes it only makes sense that a new PDTS file is released for only this version of the firmware. The old files were probably tailored by trial and error to compensate for the bugs. I think these changes are significant enough that you need to start from scratch using the 8-31 PDTS file. The advantage is you should now be able to get predictable results; i.e., when you increase the percentage in compression you will actually be increasing the damping in compression and not decreasing the damping in rebound. For someone that knows what they are doing (not me) that means they should be able to more quickly tailor their car to the track they are running.
I'm going to drive around with the 8-31 PDTS file for a while before I make any changes. My initial observations are the ride is good but may be a little soft (may bottom out and oscillate over dips). It is interesting that the rear shocks are softer in compression in Sport and Track mode - it seams like it would be even more susceptible to bottoming out than Tour. But there may be some stuff going on behind the scenes.
Although this may be frustrating to some, I think we are lucky to have a company that is responsive and not trying to keep complete control of their product.
I understand all that, but bugs or no bugs, I had a car that was dramatically better than OEM even on the original firmware. I can turn the dial between Tour and Sport to get exactly what I want on the street. The 8/14 firmware, enhanced things a little more by "calming" Tour mode down a bit.

I totally get that the software needs to be correct for all the "tweakers" out there, so when they make a change, the parameter changed needs to move in the intended direction. However, I'm not one of those people. My convertible is never going to be on a track, but it has become an awesome street car.

The reason I'm posting this is that I think a lot of this discussion may be scaring some away, who don't want to become "chassis engineers," and just want a more capable and pleasurable street car. That would be a shame.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2017 at 12:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Keep in mind there were bugs in the early firmware. The ones I found were the speed table not working correctly, rebound and compression were swapped, and the signs were swapped (increasing the percentage was decreasing the damping). There may have been others. The 8-14 firmware corrected the speed table and rebound/compression but not the swapped signs. The 8-28 firmware corrected the swapped signs. Mike had confirmed the bugs and I can now confirm they are all corrected with the latest firmware.
With all of these changes it only makes sense that a new PDTS file is released for only this version of the firmware. The old files were probably tailored by trial and error to compensate for the bugs. I think these changes are significant enough that you need to start from scratch using the 8-31 PDTS file. The advantage is you should now be able to get predictable results; i.e., when you increase the percentage in compression you will actually be increasing the damping in compression and not decreasing the damping in rebound. For someone that knows what they are doing (not me) that means they should be able to more quickly tailor their car to the track they are running.
I'm going to drive around with the 8-31 PDTS file for a while before I make any changes. My initial observations are the ride is good but may be a little soft (may bottom out and oscillate over dips). It is interesting that the rear shocks are softer in compression in Sport and Track mode - it seams like it would be even more susceptible to bottoming out than Tour. But there may be some stuff going on behind the scenes.
Although this may be frustrating to some, I think we are lucky to have a company that is responsive and not trying to keep complete control of their product.
I came to the same thoughts when I viewed the NEW file settings.
I haven't given up on the 08-28-17 Firmware and trying out the NEW file.
I'm sure I'll get the itch to change some settings
But right now, even with the 08-14-17 Firmware bugs, my setup has given "me" the best results I'm looking for.
RKCRLR (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:45 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I loaded the new software that is now shown on their webpage and went out for a 30 min ride. I'm sold on this latest release.

Anyone that is thinking about purchasing this controller should do so if they want a more compliant soft ride in TOUR mode and then a better more firmer ride in SPORT and TRACK.

There is no need to make any adjustments, those of us you see doing so are just trying to optimize the car to our liking for either the street or the track.

Can't wait for my upcoming autocross this weekend.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:52 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Looked around, is there a place to buy these puppies or do we go directly to their website?
Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The shocks are not softer in Sport than in Track, everyone is now overly focused on the Velocity tab, lol. Shock stiffness is defined by the Shock Calibration tab, which is stiffer in Sport/Track vs Tour. Velocity adjusts rebound and compression independently of each other off the Shock Cal.

I have flashed the Sport section onto my Tour mode since it seems really good on the street. We don't have a lot of suspension travel so too soft just makes it feel bouncy, which I am done trying to tame. Short travel means it will just need to be stiffer, at the end of the day. Sport feels really good. I will leave Track for the road course and I think I will turn Sport into a drag racing setup.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:57 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
The shocks are not softer in Sport than in Track, everyone is now overly focused on the Velocity tab, lol. Shock stiffness is defined by the Shock Calibration tab, which is stiffer in Sport/Track vs Tour. Velocity adjusts rebound and compression independently of each other off the Shock Cal.

I have flashed the Sport section onto my Tour mode since it seems really good on the street. We don't have a lot of suspension travel so too soft just makes it feel bouncy, which I am done trying to tame. Short travel means it will just need to be stiffer, at the end of the day. Sport feels really good. I will leave Track for the road course and I think I will turn Sport into a drag racing setup.
Are they still working on the tour mode? I dont really want to mess with tuning so much but would like a nice and soft tour mode when I'm eating miles on the highway.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think you'll be happy with Tour mode out of the box from DSC. It's far more comfortable than the OEM Tour setting. Sport mode w/ the DSC is also much more comfortable than OEM Sport mode.

A lot of folks here like to experiment with different settings, and that's great. However, you need not do anything, and it's a dramatic improvement over the OEM controller. Almost everyone is amazed with the big enhancement when they first plug it in, but then many get the itch to experiment. I've had mine for 9 months now, I've resisted that urge, and am still absolutely thrilled with it.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The nice thing about it is you can run sport and as long as you are just cruising, it isn't stiff due to the G Force table, which you can also edit to keep things soft longer if you want.

Around where I am the roads suck too much for Tour, it just bounces like crazy. I need to slow the shocks down like sport does.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Flyingscot
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I love the "out of the box" firmware and the included pdts. files, which for me was the 8-14-17 firmware-pdts files. When the 8-28-17 firmware came out I loaded it.
I went right back to the 8-14-17 firmware and included files.
This is it for me.
Tour feels like, well-tour mode.
Sport feels firm, but still comfortable. Big difference from tour.
Track feels like "Track".
THANK YOU DSC SPORT!

Last edited by Flyingscot; 09-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a Mustang guy and I find it interesting that, despite vast differences in weight, balance, etc. the Shelby pdts files were virtually identical to the Corvette's for the first six months or so. Recent calibrations, I'm pleased to report, are vastly different.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:46 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Looked around, is there a place to buy these puppies or do we go directly to their website?
Register on The DSC website and order it direct from them.
They're very helpful

Originally Posted by spinkick
Are they still working on the tour mode? I dont really want to mess with tuning so much but would like a nice and soft tour mode when I'm eating miles on the highway.
No, from the settings I see in Tour, it's the same as it always was.
And with the latest Firmware update you just need to install the Controller and Zero the shocks.
If you back track through this thread there's tons of info and instructions.
And/or there's info on the DSC website also
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by 65sohc
I'm a Mustang guy and I find it interesting that, despite vast differences in weight, balance, etc. the Shelby pdts files were virtually identical to the Corvette's for the first six months or so. Recent calibrations, I'm pleased to report, are vastly different.
I saw that too, which really just means it's a good starting point for all vehicles. It hasn't been very long since release so it makes sense dedicated files aren't out yet. I'll be running 6 sessions this weekend and I plan on adjusting the PTM modes between sessions and watching my times. It takes a minute with wifi which is amazing. We've learned the settings were a bit too soft for those that don't only just cruise in their cars. Which makes sense too since the controller was setup on a z06. I've learned the stock settings with about 70% on 1 of the ptm table modes will be close to it for my car. I have extra weight upfront due to supercharger kit too.

I like this thing and I am keeping it, just don't like the bounce on tour. Granted I have VERY bouncy highways in Dallas.
​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​
Old 09-04-2017, 10:37 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Am I the only one who likes the pre- 8/17 tour mode best? I feel like I'm oscillating in tour mode
Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So what's the verdict? I still have the original pdts files. Should I go with the new ones?

Best,
Gene
Old 09-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

There is no verdict except they're all an improvement over stock. Different people seem to like different things. Quite frankly, the original firmware and pdts files were damned good. I think the 8/14 firmware w/ the std pdts files added a slight improvement in Tour float/bounce. I'm going to leave well enough alone for now, and not bother w/ the 8/28 firmware.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-04-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

where can i find the pre-8/14 tour data/file?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

The Tour pdts files didn't change w/ any of the firmware updates. Only the firmware changed, primarily with new velocity settings, which apparently changed the way the pdts files behave. The Tour file you had pre-8/14 is likely the same file that came w/ the 8/14 firmware download, unless you had originally requested "Tour Plush."

There have always been only two DSC Tour files, regular, and "Tour Plush." Others have modified those files and saved them for their own use. Dif has posted a couple of his Tour files here.

If you want to go back to the way it felt originally, you'd have to go back to the original firmware.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-05-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Dif (09-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Register on The DSC website and order it direct from them.
They're very helpful No, from the settings I see in Tour, it's the same as it always was.
And with the latest Firmware update you just need to install the Controller and Zero the shocks.
If you back track through this thread there's tons of info and instructions.
And/or there's info on the DSC website also
FWIW I wouldn't hesitate to buy it from one of the other vendors reselling it as long as it doesn't cost more. I'm sure either way you'll get great support from DSC and will be supporting two businesses. I've done a lot of business with Katech over the years and like DSC they've been great to work with.
Dif (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,108 Likes on 3,364 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
So what's the verdict? I still have the original pdts files. Should I go with the new ones?

Best,
Gene
To me, the 8-28 firmware with the 8-31 pdts file seems to be the best compromise between comfort and float so far in Tour. But I haven't driven on it extensively and haven't spent much time much in Sport (and none in Track).
Flyingscot (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Just picked one up for my 17 grand sport. It's hard to believe it makes such a massive difference. I'm ready to feel it! I just got the car Saturday and the main thing I couldn't figure out is how I couldn't feel a lot of difference in suspension depending on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations