Z06/Grand Sport side paint protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Z06/Grand Sport side paint protection

I have read a great deal about Xpel and the whole partial vs full body wrap. Even with the full wrap it seems the brake duct area takes abuse. Would it make more sense to use a product like the RPI Z06 Side Skirt Extension and a partial "front end" Xpel application? Does anyone have experience with the side skirt extension, and if so has it been effective at providing protection?

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 01-04-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by L1FRDOG
I have read a great deal about Xpel and the whole partial vs full body wrap. Even with the full wrap it seems the brake duct area takes abuse. Would it make more sense to use a product like the RPI Z06 Side Skirt Extension and a partial "front end" Xpel application? Does anyone have experience with the side skirt extension, and if so has it been effective at providing protection?
Looking further I have found ACSCOMPOSITE has a set of front Splash Guards that are a bit larger than the GM version... any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Looking further I have found ACSCOMPOSITE has a set of front Splash Guards that are a bit larger than the GM version... any thoughts?
After reading probably well over 100 responses about this on various threads over the years (yes, the problem goes back to the C6 Z06's), it seems members are having the best luck with BOTH side skirts AND 1 of 2 splash guards (expensive Apsis, inexpensive O'Reily's). I have not read about any other splash guard being as wide as these two.

I have had great luck, with over 30,000 combined miles, on 3 Z06's (one with side skirts, two without) with the Apsis guards. I did not know about the O'Reily guards at the time, but for the price I think I would have ordered a set and given them a try 1st if they looked OK.

I have seen posts where folks have said the ACS guards are not wide enough. I know the OEM guards and the GM guards you get from the dealer are useless from personal experience.
The following users liked this post:
L1FRDOG (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by funz06
After reading probably well over 100 responses about this on various threads over the years (yes, the problem goes back to the C6 Z06's), it seems members are having the best luck with BOTH side skirts AND 1 of 2 splash guards (expensive Apsis, inexpensive O'Reily's). I have not read about any other splash guard being as wide as these two.

I have had great luck, with over 30,000 combined miles, on 3 Z06's (one with side skirts, two without) with the Apsis guards. I did not know about the O'Reily guards at the time, but for the price I think I would have ordered a set and given them a try 1st if they looked OK.

I have seen posts where folks have said the ACS guards are not wide enough. I know the OEM guards and the GM guards you get from the dealer are useless from personal experience.

Appreciate the feedback funz06! I have (perhaps unfortunately already ordered the ACS splash guards. The Grand Sport has the Side Skirts on and so that should help as you mentioned. I addition I have already contacted an Xpel installer today and priced out a Full Front and Rocker Panel Kit (all the way down the sides from bottom up part way" to specifically protect the Brake duct vent.

I am looking at 2,195 for the front, and another 795 for the sides.

I am always open to suggestions.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

Appreciate the feedback funz06! I have (perhaps unfortunately already ordered the ACS splash guards. The Grand Sport has the Side Skirts on and so that should help as you mentioned. I addition I have already contacted an Xpel installer today and priced out a Full Front and Rocker Panel Kit (all the way down the sides from bottom up part way" to specifically protect the Brake duct vent.

I am looking at 2,195 for the front, and another 795 for the sides.

I am always open to suggestions.
Make sure to wrap the rear fenders as that is the main point of abuse with the Z06 having the GM or aftermarket splash guards or not. When the wheel is turned more than 2/3 is when the majority of damage occurs. You have to love those extra sticky Michelins picking up all the sand, etc on the road surface. It may hurt your pocket a bit, but look into wrapping the doors and behind the rear wheels as well. Check out our Xpel brochure for a breakdown of what I mean. Everything shaded in gray is what will be covered on the 3 packages we offer. I am attaching it to this post for your reference whether you choose to install through us or back home. Just food for thought :-)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
XPEL-Paint-Protection.pdf (311.1 KB, 130 views)
L1FRDOG (01-19-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 AM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Good stuff. My buddy Johnny is getting his Z06 convertible from MacMulkin. It arrived yesterday. Xpel is going on first.
KennyG MacMulkin (01-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/Grand Sport side paint protection

Quick Reply: Z06/Grand Sport side paint protection