HOW TO: Install DSC Sport Controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default HOW TO: Install DSC Sport Controller

I wanted to pull my controller out this weekend to take it up to TPC Racing for a firmware update and decided this was a good opportunity to do a quick write-up on how to install the DSC controller.

First of all, please pay no mind to the fact that I have the suspension all torn apart on my car - that was for a different project and you should be able to do this with the wheel on and turned or worst case just pull the wheel. Now let's get started.

First, gently pull on the splash guards at the rear of the left front wheel well to pull them free from the clips. Note that there is small slot mid way up the splash guard that slips in to the liner and a 7mm bolt on the bottom under the car and just behind the wheel well you will also need to remove.

Now remove the (3) T-15 screws that were behind the splash guard. You can see them loose in this picture.

Followed by removing the 4 push pins. You will see 3 of them loose in this pic. The 4th one I also removed was just above the area I took a picture of.

Now peel back the wheel liner and you will see the suspension control module in the wheel well (it's the white box in the picture). Mine is already a DSC module so the OEM unit will look a little different and it won't have the USB cable plugged in to it like I do.

The black bracket that the white controller sits in has two little plastic tabs at the top. Just push those back and pop the controller out of the bracket. Then pull it out of the wheel well towards you with the wiring harness still attached.

Now pull from the back of the wiring harness to remove the clip securing it to the controller. Then pull the controller from the harness.

Now plug in your new DSC Sport controller, close the clip, put it back in the bracket, and put the wheel well screws and pins back in.

This really is a super easy mod to install so don't let the install sway you from getting one. Enjoy!
The following 12 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
08G8V8 (01-16-2017), bjones7131 (01-22-2018), blkvet6 (02-27-2017), cheapthrills (01-17-2017), cvp33 (01-16-2017), DSCsport (07-12-2018), Is2scooby (03-14-2017), Mr. Knowitall (01-21-2018), phantasms (04-21-2017), robert miller (01-19-2017), Steve Carter (06-13-2017), TCorzett (12-10-2017) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

02-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I wasn't going to post what I went through because I thought it was overkill and nobody seemed to be having problems.
But now some may want to do this as I found it was worth the time to make room first.
I found it easier to access removing and installing the Controllers.
Forward Note:
Once I opened everything up, I just could Not unsnap both clips at once with everything still Inside the fender to remove the OEM Controller from the Box it sits in

Here's what I did and Hope it help someone doing this for the first time

Pic #4: After I opened the fender well liner I tied it back out of the way.

Pic #5: shows the controller mounted way up inside the fender and a wire harness connector Attached to the Controller board and in the way.

Pic #6: shows a bolt that holds the Box to part of the firewall, that the Controller is mounted/snapped into.

Pic #7: shows where I removed the wire harness connector shown in Pic #5 to make room.
--- I then Removed the Bolt shown holding the Box and removed the Box with the Controller still in it.

Pic #8: shows the slots on the fire wall, which the Controller Box hangs in after it was removed with the Controller still in it.
The Controller Box has Tangs on the back side that slide down into the Slots
To remove the Controller Box, lift it UP and out of the Slots.
Do the reverse to Install it again, putting the Box back in the slots and pulling Down.

Pic #9: shows the Box and Controller out of the fender which made it very easy to remove the Controller from The Box

Pic #11: shows the Wire Harness unlocked ready to remove the OEM controller by Pulling Straight off Gently because there's lots of pins in the Connector and the Controller.

Pic #13: I forget where I read it in the DSC info.
It said to lightly wet all the connectors on the Harness and the DSC Controller with WD-40 or equivalent so there' wouldn't be a dry press when pushing the Harness onto the DSC Controller.
I used a cotton Q-tip sparingly dipped in WD-40 to do this.

Pic #14: I put a tight fitting Flexible rubber Cap on to Cover the USB port to keep it clean from the Elements.

Pic #15: shows ?? for a 3/32 nylon rod about 5 inches long I pressed in between the Controller Box and the Controller.
Maybe it doesn't matter, but I did this because the Controller sits Loose in the Box, and I didn't want it Rattling around.

YMMV

Side notes:
On another day I opened up the fender liner again to access the Controller.
I did not remove the controller or disassemble anything this time.
With Much Difficulty, I was able to plug in my 8 foot long USB cable to update the Tour settings.
Again, YMMV
Attached Images           
Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine is in route and will be here Wednesday. Also got the Granatelli rear toe links and rear caster tool/gauge coming, and will get it aligned soon.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:08 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I just received mine today. Am I correct in assuming that the base files are already loaded and all I need to do is physically install the controller?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:55 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, I got mine today from Ridetech and it came with Corvette C7 specific install instructions, and it was loaded with what I assume to be the C7 files. I did do a "read all" and "save" the as-shipped software that it came with, just in case.

I see the updated firmware is up on their website, as well as the new launch control files. I will update the firmware and .pdts file in the next day or so. Want to do some more driving with the as-shipped configuration, and to make sure no issues with the firmware from other users.

I will say on the install, I had a heck of a time getting the stock unit out. I kept pushing the 2 clips on the upper side and trying to rotate the upper end out, and nothing. I spent quite abit of time trying to get it out. I didn't realize the stock unit, and the DSC unit nest in the bracket, so I was trying to rotate the actual bracket instead of the stock controller. Ended up using a little pick and grabbing the drilled hole in the FWD/UPPER corner of the stock controller and picking it out of the bracket as I held the 2 upper clips up. Just a little heads up. Other than that the install is very simple.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 01-18-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by 65sohc
I just received mine today. Am I correct in assuming that the base files are already loaded and all I need to do is physically install the controller?
Yes, they come pre-loaded w/ DSC's latest recommended set-up if you just ordered.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,375 Posts
Default I damaged my USB connector

I attempted to install my DSC Sport controller in my Z51 and encountered a problem. I got the old controller out (boy that back clip is hard to get to while keeping the front clip released) and the new controller set in place. However, I didn't have enough room to connect the mini USB cable to the controller. So I slid the controller forward, connected the cable, and attempted to push the controller back into position. Big mistake. The cable couldn't get by the vent and damaged the controller USB connector (bent the metal housing and broke the contact separator).
I couldn't understand why more people weren't having this problem and then discovered that my controller housing is different than the one in the installation pictures. That controller has a smaller housing and the USB connector is on the end. My controller's housing has the same footprint as the OEM controller and has the USB connection on the side. I seems that a cable with a right angle connector is required for this USB port location. (I don't feel so stupid now).
I've contacted DSC Sport via email to see what my options are but don't expect to hear back until next week.
Has anyone else installed this larger controller? How did you get the USB cable connected?
Thanks
Attached Images   

Last edited by RKCRLR; 02-25-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I wonder if there is a weather proof USB connector, as things seem to get really wet and dirty in there.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Poor-Sha's unit is an older version of the DSC controller. I suspect the new one was redesigned because it's intended to work w/ Wi-Fi eliminating the need to mount a USB cable.

However, you can use the USB to zero the shocks before mounting it.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Poor-Sha's unit is an older version of the DSC controller. I suspect the new one was redesigned because it's intended to work w/ Wi-Fi eliminating the need to mount a USB cable.
Perhaps, but the longer housing is just a flat piece of plastic and the area with the "guts" looks similar. And it is always nice to have the option of a "hard" connection when you can't get wireless to cooperate. The USB port on the original design was definitely easier to access and run a cable to when the unit is installed.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:03 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

I installed the cable first then installed the unit. Also the unit must be installed and driver in seat before you calibrate the unit.
Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Perhaps, but the longer housing is just a flat piece of plastic and the area with the "guts" looks similar. And it is always nice to have the option of a "hard" connection when you can't get wireless to cooperate. The USB port on the original design was definitely easier to access and run a cable to when the unit is installed.
RKCRLR (02-26-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 05:17 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ammo
I installed the cable first then installed the unit. Also the unit must be installed and driver in seat before you calibrate the unit.
Thanks for the input. Does your controller look like mine? And your cable? I just don't see how I can get it past the vent without damage.
Also, for those of you with automatics, where did you run the cable?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I wasn't going to post what I went through because I thought it was overkill and nobody seemed to be having problems.
But now some may want to do this as I found it was worth the time to make room first.
I found it easier to access removing and installing the Controllers.
Forward Note:
Once I opened everything up, I just could Not unsnap both clips at once with everything still Inside the fender to remove the OEM Controller from the Box it sits in

Here's what I did and Hope it help someone doing this for the first time

Pic #4: After I opened the fender well liner I tied it back out of the way.

Pic #5: shows the controller mounted way up inside the fender and a wire harness connector Attached to the Controller board and in the way.

Pic #6: shows a bolt that holds the Box to part of the firewall, that the Controller is mounted/snapped into.

Pic #7: shows where I removed the wire harness connector shown in Pic #5 to make room.
--- I then Removed the Bolt shown holding the Box and removed the Box with the Controller still in it.

Pic #8: shows the slots on the fire wall, which the Controller Box hangs in after it was removed with the Controller still in it.
The Controller Box has Tangs on the back side that slide down into the Slots
To remove the Controller Box, lift it UP and out of the Slots.
Do the reverse to Install it again, putting the Box back in the slots and pulling Down.

Pic #9: shows the Box and Controller out of the fender which made it very easy to remove the Controller from The Box

Pic #11: shows the Wire Harness unlocked ready to remove the OEM controller by Pulling Straight off Gently because there's lots of pins in the Connector and the Controller.

Pic #13: I forget where I read it in the DSC info.
It said to lightly wet all the connectors on the Harness and the DSC Controller with WD-40 or equivalent so there' wouldn't be a dry press when pushing the Harness onto the DSC Controller.
I used a cotton Q-tip sparingly dipped in WD-40 to do this.

Pic #14: I put a tight fitting Flexible rubber Cap on to Cover the USB port to keep it clean from the Elements.

Pic #15: shows ?? for a 3/32 nylon rod about 5 inches long I pressed in between the Controller Box and the Controller.
Maybe it doesn't matter, but I did this because the Controller sits Loose in the Box, and I didn't want it Rattling around.

YMMV

Side notes:
On another day I opened up the fender liner again to access the Controller.
I did not remove the controller or disassemble anything this time.
With Much Difficulty, I was able to plug in my 8 foot long USB cable to update the Tour settings.
Again, YMMV
Attached Images           
The following 11 users liked this post by Dif:
blkvet6 (02-27-2017), Bunk (03-21-2017), cheapthrills (02-27-2017), eric04 (07-22-2017), Flame Red (02-26-2017), Foosh (02-25-2017), Is2scooby (03-22-2017), Mr. Knowitall (01-21-2018), RKCRLR (02-26-2017), ronsc1985 (06-13-2017), TCorzett (12-10-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Dif - thanks for posting those pictures. That should really help prevent poor old me from struggling with this install and inventing new curse words.

So there is a weather proof cover supplied for the USB cable as shown in your picture. I am guessing you just plug the USB cable in once to do the calibaration and load whatever files you want and then disconnect the USB.

What have others done that want to leave the USB cable installed permanently to weather proof it? I have no desire to open it up to plug in a USB cable every time new software becomes available. Thus you see why I was so reluctant about ordering the DSC before WIFI support was out. I just did not want to have to mess with the USB but I guess now I have no choice that it is on it's way.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Dif (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Dif
Thanks for posting your pictures and procedure, I'm sure it is going to help others with the tight installation. Pictures #5 and #15 show how tight it is in there. I tried to slide the controller in above the connector you removed and you can see where the vent caught the cable. I've ordered a mini USB cable from Amazon with a right angle connector. Even if I don't connect the cable prior to the controller installation I think it will be easier to connect with the controller in place. I couldn't see what I was doing when trying to connect the cable since my hand was in the way so I was doing it by feel.
I've straightened out the metal connector and slipped the broken pin separator back in place. The cable will stay in place and I suspect I can make a connection but I'm not going to do anything until I hear back from DSC Sport on what my options are. Don't want to risk letting the magic smoke out...

Last edited by RKCRLR; 02-26-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added information
Dif (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Your Welcome Flame

Well there is a Cap that comes with the Controller, but it doesn't fit tight enough to stay on by itself.
I used a cap I had laying around my shop.

I originally just installed the Controller thinking I'd be happy with the settings as is.
Which I was until I saw the Tour Plush mode file.
Then I opened everything again, connected the cable to install the file and Zero the shocks.
At this point I'm happy with the way it is and will wait until the WiFi is active If I want to do install Updated files.
I personally don't see changing any specific settings to an existing program.

You'll be plenty happy if they sent the Controller with the Tour Plush already installed.

Some found a way to snake the cable through the firewall into the cabin.
If I was to leave the cable plugged in, coil it up wrapped/tied in a plastic bag, and leave it in the fender.
Plenty of room at the bottom inside the fender for the cable to lay there.
Then to make changes, only have to pull back the fender liner and take the cable out still connected to the controller.
I haven't searched but in hind sight I'd try to find a cable with a 90 degree end on it so when it's plugged in, it lays flat against the Controller.
Either way, I was able o do it, but it's difficult to get a hand in there to plug the cable in with everything in place already.
In hind sight, unbolting and taking the Whole box and Controller out as one unit, then plugging in the cable, and putting it back in the fender well,.. ..
I think there may be enough room doing it that way with out damaging the cable connection.
But since WiFi will be available at some point, I personally would only worry about getting a cable plugged in for the first time install.
When everything is in the fender, there's just enough room to put your hand in there with your hand flat.
As I said, I did it, but trying to do anything with your hand not flat, is difficult.
Just my experience and thoughts now that I've done it.
Whatever happens, you will not regret it

More pics for what it's worth
Attached Images       
The following 4 users liked this post by Dif:
Flame Red (03-01-2017), Foosh (02-26-2017), Is2scooby (03-22-2017), RKCRLR (03-04-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Dif
Thanks for posting your pictures and procedure, I'm sure it is going to help others with the tight installation. Pictures #5 and #15 show how tight it is in there. I've ordered a mini USB cable from Amazon with a right angle connector. Even if I don't connect the cable prior to the controller installation I think it will be easier to connect with the controller in place. I couldn't see what I was doing when trying to connect the cable since my hand was in the way so I was doing it by feel.
I've straightened out the metal connector and slipped the broken pin separator back in place. The cable will stay in place and I suspect I can make a connection but I'm not going to do anything until I hear back from DSC Sport on what my options are. Don't want to risk letting the magic smoke out...
You're Welcome RKCRLR
One thing that helped was taking pictures of the female USB connection on the Controller before installing it.
Then when I had my hand in there blind, it helped knowing which way to Orient the cable plug
Good luck with yours and regardless of what happens, it IS worth it in the end

Last edited by Dif; 02-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
RKCRLR (03-04-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:32 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Thanks for the input. Does your controller look like mine? And your cable? I just don't see how I can get it past the vent without damage.
Also, for those of you with automatics, where did you run the cable?
Thanks
Yes mine is the same. I don't remember the USB being a problem at all. It went back in easier then getting it out, still difficult but not as hard as getting it out originally. I did not remove the entire unit with the holder as DIF did. I do remember pulling the one connector loose and moving it out of the way.

I ran the cable up and forward into the engine bay, coiled it up and it sits near the brake fluid canister.
The following 3 users liked this post by AmmoVet:
blkvet6 (02-27-2017), Dif (02-26-2017), RKCRLR (03-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO: Install DSC Sport Controller

Old 02-26-2017, 04:04 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ammo
Yes mine is the same. I don't remember the USB being a problem at all. It went back in easier then getting it out, still difficult but not as hard as getting it out originally. I did not remove the entire unit with the holder as DIF did. I do remember pulling the one connector loose and moving it out of the way.

I ran the cable up and forward into the engine bay, coiled it up and it sits near the brake fluid canister.
Yea, I think I would have been OK without that connector in the way.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I attempted to install my DSC Sport controller in my Z51 and encountered a problem. I got the old controller out (boy that back clip is hard to get to while keeping the front clip released) and the new controller set in place. However, I didn't have enough room to connect the mini USB cable to the controller. So I slid the controller forward, connected the cable, and attempted to push the controller back into position. Big mistake. The cable couldn't get by the vent and damaged the controller USB connector (bent the metal housing and broke the contact separator).
I couldn't understand why more people weren't having this problem and then discovered that my controller housing is different than the one in the installation pictures. That controller has a smaller housing and the USB connector is on the end. My controller's housing has the same footprint as the OEM controller and has the USB connection on the side. I seems that a cable with a right angle connector is required for this USB port location. (I don't feel so stupid now).
I've contacted DSC Sport via email to see what my options are but don't expect to hear back until next week.
Has anyone else installed this larger controller? How did you get the USB cable connected?
Thanks
Which email did you send to? I don't believe I've seen anything come through. Sales@dscsport.com is the best to send in to.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Which email did you send to? I don't believe I've seen anything come through. Sales@dscsport.com is the best to send in to.
I forwarded the email I sent to the people listed as support on your website to sales@dscsport.com.
Thanks

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install DSC Sport Controller