White C7 crash in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12
^^^

"On one end of the spectrum it could be the cop slamming on the brakes to hit the nearest donut shop. I'm not anti police". Really?

"I get that this sort of thing puts them between a rock and a hard place," If you've never worked in law enforcement (I have), you won't get it.

" but the #1 responsibility is the safety of citizens, not catching the bad guy." Huh?
With the "huh" comment, it sounds like (at least in your opinion) public safety is somewhere down the list compared to catching some guy stealing an SUV. Please enlighten me.

I could see before I even commented that I wouldn't be very popular in this thread, but I stand behind my opinion that giving chase in a dense area like that is a terrible idea. One that they failed on both ends. Lost the bad guy and put a bystander in the hospital. What should you do in circumstances like this? I dunno. I'm just an IT guy, but obviously giving chase to someone willing to drive in a dense area at lethal speeds is not the solution.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It is always a tough call as to when to cut off a police chase no doubt, I hope the C7 owner will be A ok though
Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
Yep, and to add to it, it was at high speed chase through a massively congested area and into the turf of the largest police department in the nation. I don't see how a high speed chase is the best option at that point. Unfortunate for the vette driver for sure.
It was 2am on a Tuesday morning, one of the few times its not going to be "massively congested".

But year, a chase is ridiculous, they should just immediately shoot out the tires.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
With the "huh" comment, it sounds like (at least in your opinion) public safety is somewhere down the list compared to catching some guy stealing an SUV. Please enlighten me.
The "huh" is meant to indicate that catching the bad guy and public safety are not mutually exclusive.

Public safety and catching "bad guys" are synonymous, even my 4 year old knows that. Every time he perceives an injustice, he urges me to call the police. What would you have me tell him?
The following users liked this post:
Hopper12 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I saw a news piece about the number of people killed and injured by spike strips. Several agencies are thinking of not using them.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I saw a news piece about the number of people killed and injured by spike strips. Several agencies are thinking of not using them.
So far, every report I've read that resulted in a fatality was due to misuse strips. If they are used improperly, the device isn't to fault nor is it fair to discontinue their use.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK

I could see before I even commented that I wouldn't be very popular in this thread, but I stand behind my opinion that giving chase in a dense area like that is a terrible idea. One that they failed on both ends. Lost the bad guy and put a bystander in the hospital. What should you do in circumstances like this? I dunno. I'm just an IT guy, but obviously giving chase to someone willing to drive in a dense area at lethal speeds is not the solution.
No need to enlighten you on the 'huh' comment. I'm sure that many (most) understood, and ZenicaPA commented with a perfect explanation.

Standing by your opinion is certainly your choice. I just get a bit tired of Law Enforcement automatically being dissed by opinions that are formed with little information. You weren't there. You may not know the area at all, either. I wasn't there either, so I'm not going to form an opinion on whether the State Trooper (who would have a ton of training) made the right decisions or not. But I do know the area, very well. I'm part owner of two companies that are headquartered in Manhattan. I'm at our offices there several times per year. I was just there last week and drove from the Newark airport thru the Holland at a bit past 1 am Thursday morning after a late flight. There was virtually no traffic. None. Still, I'm not going to say whether the Trooper acted perfectly, but I'll sure give him/her the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise - every time.

Back to the C7 driver - - terrible situation and I hope he/she is well soon.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (01-18-2017)

Quick Reply: White C7 crash in NYC