Sponsored by:

Old Dog needs new trick

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 AM
luvlake
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Old Dog needs new trick

Now before I get burned I need to preference my question. I'm 70 years old, a Vietnam disabled vet, Parkinson/Prostrate Cancer and on my 6 th
corvette, 2016 Long Beach red Z06. Well I was reading the forum and
I see the new cheap mod, Accet Glow Led Cup holder lights. A fellow form member did an outstanding job discribing his install with pictures. Well, Like Clint Eastwood said in a movie "A man just needs to know his limitations". Well my plan was/is to get power from fuse 37 rear fuse box, incorporate a on/off switch and rather than take apart the console, drill a hole in the cup holder, snake the wires from the led lights and hook up to switch. Well all worked well till it came to snake the wires from the lights to outside the console.i drilled my hole in the top center corner of the cup holder closest to the dash. I have tried and tried and I can't find a way to get my led wires to the outside of the console.. I still would like to get this done without opening the console. Ideas and Prayers accepted. You would think n old fool would leave the damn car alone and drive it. Oh well.....
The following users liked this post:
pdpratt (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

^^^ That would be no fun-I'm 74 and love the challenge!

Have not done this on my C7 but did on my C6 to run wires for my NPP switch. Just looked and it should work the same.

Drilled a small hole (1/8 -5/32 inch) on the lower passenger side corner of the cup holder. Enough room for a thin coat hanger wire!
Then wedge the console lower passenger edge away from the carpet inserting a piece of wood to keep it open.
Then snake the coat hanger into the hole and fish around until it comes out or you can grab it from the wedged opening. It's only a few inches from the hole and will require bending the wire to get it over the flat tunnel surface.
Once it's out, tape the wires needed to the hanger wire and pull it back thru the hole. Hint, put some Vaseline on the taped wire/hanger to help in thru the hole.
Once the wires are outside the console you can tuck it under the console edge until you are under the dash and run the positive to fuse 37.

I used fuse 37 for the positive power for my radar detector and used the screw under the passenger side dash, near the console for a ground. Has worked for 3 years!

Have done similar when building my street rod where multiple wires needed to be snaked around. I did one wire at a time and taped a piece of string with the first wire. When through i could pull the next wire with the string. If more were needed just taped more string with the taped wire! Used Vaseline to help prevent it from pulling off!

Hope that helps!

PS: If you can't get your finger in the wedged opening to grab the coat hanger there is another method I have used. Use some thin wire (0.035/0.045 MIG welding wire in my case) and put a hook ~1/2 inch long on the end. Push the hook thru the drilled hole until it hits the edge of the console. Then put a larger similar hook on another piece of wire. Push that wire up along side the console and hook it onto the thin wire and pull. The hooks can interlock and you can pull the thin wire thru the wedged opening.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:52 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Geez, I think you did more work doing all that other stuff vs just popping the console up. It's just held down by push pins. I don't think there's any way really to fish a wire out from the console without popping it up.

It's not bad, pull the trim piece off on the drivers side, unscrew the console lid and pop it off, then just use a plastic tool to pry up on the console. Once you get it started, you can lift it with your hand then it will tilt up enough for you to work under it. Too bad you're not closer, I'd help you out!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 AM
luvlake
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all, I just need to work with it some more.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

I have had my console apart many times, I can do it blindfolded now. I'm no mechanic but it super easy to do. You can find plenty of places to see vids on how to do it. MGW has a very good one for installing their awesome shifter. It really takes like 10 minutes to do.

Here the MGW vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xm7IUbb6Zs

Last edited by cheapthrills; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM
pdpratt
Red Shadow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks you for your Service to our country.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:48 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

What can go wrong will go wrong with my car projects. I will just pray for you. Good luck. There are some very handy folks on this forum, I am sure you will get the help you need.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,003 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Luvlake,

As I mentioned to you on the PM I sent you the other day, there is a large insulation pad stuck to the entire bottom area of the cup holders.

My guess is that you haven't drilled through that material ....... which I highly suggest you do NOT. White nasty powder will go everywhere.... But if you don't want to have to lift up the center console, then that's your only choice. Once through that material, you should be able to snake out your LED wires out the right side.

If you CAN pop up the rear of the center console, then reach under the right side and peel back the insulation material..... you will see the hole you drilled and can easily get your wires out.

I offered you my cell ph number in the PM I sent several days ago. You are welcome to call me and I can walk you through it.

Richard

Last edited by Strake; 01-19-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

OP: props to you for having some additional fun with your C7. You'll get 'er done. And many thanks for your service.

To those who have responded with many ways to help the OP: that's what I really like about this forum - some really helpful people when we have questions. Thanks to each of you for helping the OP, and for helping me when I've needed it!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM
ttay3
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

^^^

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.

Get notified of new replies

To Old Dog needs new trick

Quick Reply: Old Dog needs new trick