Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:47 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Default Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

My new 16 Stingray is to be delivered this month and would like to know please what all Android Auto can do, and how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Start here: https://www.android.com/auto/
Product Forum here: https://productforums.google.com/for...m/android-auto

Basically you get Google Maps, Google Voice Recognition, access to your phone and Google Contacts, Google Play Music and any other media app you've installed that knows how to do Android Auto such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, BeyondPod, TuneIn, etc.

Requires an Android phone running a relatively modern Android OS and a USB connection.
The following users liked this post:
cam30era (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 PM
drobbins
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I think I'd go to youtube and search for videos on android auto
It'll be the same on all car so what you find will apply and a video will be WAY better than a text description
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Good advice in above posts. I'll add that we have AA in two cars and really like it. Google maps is much better than factory nav, and easier to use as you can use it on the fly and just 'tell google' to find the location and it finds it in nano seconds and your off. With factory nav you often have to find the address and try to get the voice recognition to enter it correctly - or end up pulling over and entering the address manually. Never again with AA and google. And have you ever tried to get the factory nav to recognize a POI? Almost never worked for us, and with AA/google maps it's almost 100% and on the fly too. Google voice recognition is waaaay better than the factory voice rec.

You have to have your phone 'plugged in' to run AA and in doing so you'll find that Pandora sounds way better than streaming thru bluetooth, and much better than XM.

A little hint: when you have AA running, you can push the steering wheel 'talk button' and hold it down for a second or so, and you'll get google instead of the factory voice recognition and the stuff that comes with the factory op system. Makes it much easier to use. If you want to use the factory voice rec and ops stuff you simply press the 'talk button' and release it right away.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hopper12:
blkvet6 (02-12-2017), ExRedRacer (01-25-2017), fsvoboda (01-20-2017), siglite (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 01:41 AM
defaria
Safety Car

How many times have you heard "Due to the number of songs on your.... blah... blah... blah" from the factory voice recognition again and again!!! "Yeah I know that. Would you please never tell me that again!!!".

And I'm still wondering why I need to be told that the speech session ended. Sounds much more like a debugging comment than something useful...

AND STOP SAYING YOU'RE SORRY!!! I get that already. You are indeed sorry, a sorry excuse for AI!
Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Thanks guys for all the good info!

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Good advice in above posts. I'll add that we have AA in two cars and really like it. Google maps is much better than factory nav, and easier to use as you can use it on the fly and just 'tell google' to find the location and it finds it in nano seconds and your off. With factory nav you often have to find the address and try to get the voice recognition to enter it correctly - or end up pulling over and entering the address manually. Never again with AA and google. And have you ever tried to get the factory nav to recognize a POI? Almost never worked for us, and with AA/google maps it's almost 100% and on the fly too. Google voice recognition is waaaay better than the factory voice rec.

You have to have your phone 'plugged in' to run AA and in doing so you'll find that Pandora sounds way better than streaming thru bluetooth, and much better than XM.

A little hint: when you have AA running, you can push the steering wheel 'talk button' and hold it down for a second or so, and you'll get google instead of the factory voice recognition and the stuff that comes with the factory op system. Makes it much easier to use. If you want to use the factory voice rec and ops stuff you simply press the 'talk button' and release it right away.
Nice tips and tricks Hopper12! - Thank You!

Can you see what you see on your phone displayed on the radio, AND also see it in the display screen directly in front of the driver?

Also, can you see your photos and such that are on your phone be displayed on the radio screen or the screen in front of the driver?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 AM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Will it ever be available for 2015 models?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:57 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

if you have a picture attached to a caller, the pic will show on your dash when they call.

android auto works great for navigation. except you cannot change or search for a new destination unless vehicle is stopped .
conceptmachine (02-09-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Thanks guys for all the good info!

Nice tips and tricks Hopper12! - Thank You!

Can you see what you see on your phone displayed on the radio, AND also see it in the display screen directly in front of the driver?

Also, can you see your photos and such that are on your phone be displayed on the radio screen or the screen in front of the driver?

No. AA has fairly limited capability and doesn't do much to replicate your phone.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM
defaria
Safety Car

You never see your phone screen! Instead you see what AA projects onto the radio screen and it doesn't really look like what you see on the phone (though the new AA app that allows people to use AA on the phone for those who do not have projection systems like we do looks very similar to what's displayed on my radio screen). AA also doesn't display anything on the DIC (Driver Information Center or screen directly in front of the driver).

What do you see? Well I believe I pointed you to https://www.android.com/auto/ which has some pictures and you could go to youtube and search for Android Auto to see more and to see reviews and the like. For example,

No you can't browse photos while you're driving! That's unsafe and is exactly what AA prevents, for good reason. As has been stated you contact photos will accompany phone calls when you get a call from a contact that you have a photo for but if you want to browse you most recent vacation pics you shouldn't be driving!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:09 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Will it ever be available for 2015 models?
AA is currently available for the 2015! You just need to buy new hardware (HMI thingy) for about $1500 and you're all set!
Old 01-20-2017, 11:16 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

NOTE: For early model-year 2016s, an update is needed to get Android Auto to work - reference Service Bulletin # 16-NA-042. I've tried to attach it to this post.

My new 16 Stingray is to be delivered this month and would like to know please what all Android Auto can do, and how to do it.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
How many times have you heard "Due to the number of songs on your.... blah... blah... blah" from the factory voice recognition again and again!!! "Yeah I know that. Would you please never tell me that again!!!".

And I'm still wondering why I need to be told that the speech session ended. Sounds much more like a debugging comment than something useful...

AND STOP SAYING YOU'RE SORRY!!! I get that already. You are indeed sorry, a sorry excuse for AI!
Or, have you ever experienced something similar to the following with the factory nav:

"PLEASE GIVE A COMMAND"
Navigation
"WHAT TYPE OF DESTINATION"
Point of Interest
"PLEASE SAY THE POINT OF INTEREST"
Paradise Inn, Mount Rainier National Park.
"THAT'S PARADISE HAIR DRESSERS IN SALEM OREGON. CORRECT?"
Uh, no..............................

It's a lot different with AA and google maps:
Hold steering wheel talk button down for two seconds.....
"Navigate to Paradise Inn, Mount Rainier National Park"
after about 1 second, route shows on screen: "PLEASE TURN LEFT AT .............."
The following 2 users liked this post by Hopper12:
cam30era (01-20-2017), Michael A (01-25-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

When I've used Google Maps on AA, it seems to use a lot of my data allocation from Verizon. Any tips on how to minimize that? Thanks.
cam30era (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:06 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cvwb
When I've used Google Maps on AA, it seems to use a lot of my data allocation from Verizon. Any tips on how to minimize that? Thanks.
Initiate your route while still connected to WiFi. You'll get a black banner at the top of the phone's screen, asking if you want to download the route.

Last edited by cam30era; 01-21-2017 at 07:13 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cam30era:
cvwb (01-20-2017), Hopper12 (01-20-2017), pdiddy972 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:29 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You need a USB3 cable, it supports the very high speed video connection.
If you can do your route on your computer, then send it to your phone, when you go into AA, it will should show up on your last routes list. This allows you to craft your route with all of the features of maps, with a full screen and mouse.
I don't like leaving the phone in the console, it gets pretty warm while the phone is busy, and on the charger.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by cam30era
Initiate your route while still connected to WiFi. You'll get a black banner at the top is the screen phone, asking if you want to download the route.
Good to know. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks

Old 01-20-2017, 06:42 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cam30era
Initiate your route while still connected to WiFi. You'll get a black banner at the top is the screen phone, asking if you want to download the route.
That doesn't work for me. Maybe because I don't have WiFi only set... Maybe because I have unlimited data...

Either way, downloading maps for offline use is a good thing to do like when you find yourself in some remote area going on a hike or some such and don't even have a cell connection.

Here's the instructions: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838. Do it when on Wifi for the areas you most likely would need when offline.
cam30era (01-21-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Or, have you ever experienced something similar to the following with the factory nav:

"PLEASE GIVE A COMMAND"
Navigation
"WHAT TYPE OF DESTINATION"
Point of Interest
"PLEASE SAY THE POINT OF INTEREST"
Paradise Inn, Mount Rainier National Park.
"THAT'S PARADISE HAIR DRESSERS IN SALEM OREGON. CORRECT?"
Uh, no..............................

It's a lot different with AA and google maps:
Hold steering wheel talk button down for two seconds.....
"Navigate to Paradise Inn, Mount Rainier National Park"
after about 1 second, route shows on screen: "PLEASE TURN LEFT AT .............."
EXACTLY!

My example was "DMV" which the factory nav could not understand no matter how or what I said. AA with GM (and really Google Assistant) gets is with a mere "navigate to dmv".

People who say "I don't see what good AA is - I already have the factory nav" just don't get it. Google Voice Recognition by itself is worth the price of admission....
Old 01-20-2017, 07:37 PM
jairmeeg
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my first ever corvette on December 21 here in FL. Its a 2016. It didnt have the update that included aa. I searched and found that gm did an update and you just had to go to dealer for 1 hr service visit and it would be there. I did that and it didn't work. Dealer claimed issue was with my phone. I tried diff phone and issue persisted. I looked at main settings and aa was not there but on the videos I watched I could see this setting. I went to dealer to see a 2017 and aa was in settings. I went back to service and claimed an update came out today to fix this and did the update while I waited. It worked. I love it. I dont push the steering wheel button i just hollar out "ok google" and you can command it that way and ask it things like send melissa a message or whats on my calendar for the day or how much does a blue whale wieght? Its very smart.

Quick Reply: Android Auto - What all can Android do? Tips and Tricks