Sponsored by:

HPDE and a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I picked up a 435i for track use. Called Travelers to inquire IF they offered additional riders for track use. They said no and went one step further.

IF I track the BMW, not only is it no longer insured, but so is every vehicle on my policy.

WTF?

Of the members here that do track, what insurance company do you use for non track insurance? Apparently I need to switch---again.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I picked up a 435i for track use. Called Travelers to inquire IF they offered additional riders for track use. They said no and went one step further.

IF I track the BMW, not only is it no longer insured, but so is every vehicle on my policy.

WTF?

Of the members here that do track, what insurance company do you use for non track insurance? Apparently I need to switch---again.
State Farm.

Never heard anything like that.

I have USED RLI for HPDE track insurance. Had the check in 4 business days. They are amazing.

State Farm even paid lost wages for my Wife as well as 5k in medical compensation even though it happened on the track.

Had Metlife Accident through her employer at the time. Don't get Met. They don't pay. Wouldn't have paid the Life Insurance either.

Had Aflac hospital and accident. 7k paid to us in one week.

Life insurance Northwestern Mutual which is expensive claims they will pay even if she or I are killed on track. Full disclosure when I went looking for Life Insurance about our hobby.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

WTF?

I have heard of some companies dropping your coverage if they find out you were tracking the car on their insurance. I've used Lockton and RLI for previous track days and had no issue. Then again, I never had to "use" the insurance. I would look into using one of those groups and just ponying up the extra money for a track specific policy. It would be well worth it, in my opinion, in the long run.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yes you can track a Vert; I work for a few different outfits that will let ragtops run without SCCA cages. Some will only let you run in the lower two groups, but that's better than not at all. Check Motorsports Reg https://www.motorsportreg.com/ for a HPDE's in your area then look at their rules.

Personally, I have no idea why anyone would want to buy a high performance vert to track...but that me
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

↑ Thanks.

I didn't get the idea to HPDE until after Ron Fellows. I had only given it a passing thought until that driving course. Water under the bridge...as I have something for track use now that is less likely to kill me or facilitate me killing myself.

PSU Vette,

I'll check out Lockton and RLI, thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Over in C6 General, someone posted about getting approval to run his 'vert on a track by showing that GM says the windshield frame on the C6 meets the federal rollover standards for sedans. I don't recall the name of the track or sponsoring organization.

IIRC, the C7 windshield frame gets the same "meets fed standards" claim from GM, so you might be able to do it.
The bigger question is, do you really want to do it? Most of the C6/C7 Coupe rollover pics I've seen, show the halo twisted but still upright. Most of the C6/C7 Convertible rollover pics I've seen, show the W/S squashed flat.

Maybe do the Spring Mountain school in their car, and then autocrossing in yours for fun? Be careful in A-X, it's far safer than HPDE but Murphy never sleeps.

Either way, be safe and have fun!

Quick Reply: HPDE and a convertible