Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement. - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #61
kaplana08
CF Senior Member

Default Dealers

Dealers are not upolsterers. They do not have the skill or equipment to upolster seats. I know OEM will not send a new seat but that is what they should or you get the wrinkle problem then the kiss off. Believe me Lexus would never tolarate that shabby way. GM will never change.70.000 for a car and you get the kiss off
kaplana08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #62
SK360
CF Senior Member

Buddy of mine had paint issues on the front bumper of his 13 GTR. No local dealership would touch it because it was Super Silver and is a mega expensive paintjob outside of the factory. Nissan sent a rep from Michigan to his house here in Pennsylvania to look at it, he called and got a brand new painted bumper shipped from the factory.

It's a shame, I've been watching some forum dealers for the right GS to pop up in inventory.... but now I think I need to take a closer look at some of the competition, sad because a Yellow C4/C5 was my dream car as a kid, this is doing nothing but tarnishing that.

Last edited by SK360; 02-15-2017 at 08:49 PM.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #63
SK360
CF Senior Member

Hey GM can I get one of those seats out of the wrecked ones on the truck? :P
Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #64
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplana08 View Post
Dealers are not upolsterers. They do not have the skill or equipment to upolster seats. I know OEM will not send a new seat but that is what they should or you get the wrinkle problem then the kiss off. Believe me Lexus would never tolarate that shabby way. GM will never change.70.000 for a car and you get the kiss off
As I said earlier, outside of Lexus and maybe Hyundai you're not going to get that type of service.

Even the Germans yank you around. Dealers are SUPPOSED to be capable at installing seat covers. They are trained to do it, and they fail because they just don't care or can't get the right people (or turnover so you constantly have to re-train).

The OEMs have policies, and the Dealers are supposed to abide by them. But everyone here wants to make more money, so corners get cut. I have a love-hate relationship with Dealers. They can be good in some ways, and terrible in others, all depends on the Dealer Principal and his/her priorities.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #65
kaplana08
CF Senior Member

Default Common Sense

Again.. Dealers are not upholsterers. To do I good job requires skill, Much time devoted to the craft. You can't get upholstery training in one day, then do one job every 2 years and be any good at it. most techs at the dealer probably never reupholstered a seat in their lives. The dealer is not about to let the tech fool around all day with getting it perfect . I know someone who did it for a living he told me in no way will they get it right without experience or luck.It can take steaming,, stretching and more to really do a good job.
kaplana08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #66
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplana08 View Post
Again.. Dealers are not upholsterers. To do I good job requires skill, Much time devoted to the craft. You can't get upholstery training in one day, then do one job every 2 years and be any good at it. most techs at the dealer probably never reupholstered a seat in their lives. The dealer is not about to let the tech fool around all day with getting it perfect . I know someone who did it for a living he told me in no way will they get it right without experience or luck.It can take steaming,, stretching and more to really do a good job.
I don't think you're getting the point with my comments.

It is not a question of if a dealer is an upholsterer not. They need to provide that service. If they can't do it in house they should farm it out to a local sub-contractor. The dealer gets paid X for a warranty claim (based on book time) therefore they should find a company willing to fix the issue for that cost.

A dealer wants your service as a customer. The dealer KNOWS how the OEM works. The customer expects the dealer to solve the issue and does not care about what the OEM will replace or what the dealer will get paid. The dealer should not make his/her relationship an issue with the customer. The customer sees the dealer and the OEM as the same person, and does not care who pays for it, just that it is fixed well.

Dealers unfortunately can continue to have "average" to "below-average" service and yet they can maintain their license. The OEM has a difficult time "firing" a dealer and replacing them with a better one (even in bankruptcy Chrysler could not shed some dealers, they fought in court for 8 years now and some are coming back). So this prevents the free market from operating as customers are "trapped" by distance to dealers. You can either go to the "crappy" dealer or not go at all. Dealers know this, and frankly many of them could care less. They are in the business to make money, not provide customer service. The OEMs pay for it in lost sales. They can't even "pay" the dealers to be better. So many dumb rules are involved in franchising laws.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #67
bobs-z51
CF Member

My car has 2 more months left on the warentee, Will they replace the center console cover? Its starting to rinckle
bobs-z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #68
JonMN
CF Senior Member

I remember an almost identical thread over on the Audi site I used to visit . . . the dealer finally replaced the whole seat to keep the customer happy.

A few replies mentioned upholstery--I wonder if an auto upholsterer could get the cover to fit?
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #69
SK360
CF Senior Member

Found my seat like this today....
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #70
CF Member

Did sun Chevrolet do that???
6714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #71
SK360
CF Senior Member

As an update.

Been working with GM Executive care since I sent them pics of my seat coming apart, They escalated to the regional executive and have been working on resolution. The rep says her hope is that I can get it fixed at a shop of my choosing and GM will cover the bill. The problem is it's now been almost 2 months since I found my seat coming apart and there has been no action, only talk. Horrible service all around from GM and their dealership networks.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #72
CF Member

Why don't you tell them to order you 2 new seats from the Chevy vender who makes the seats.
6714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #73
SK360
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6714 View Post
Why don't you tell them to order you 2 new seats from the Chevy vender who makes the seats.
Sounds easy but that will have no affect.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.
  •