C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 03:53 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

I took my car to the dealer back in September due to warranty about to expire and the suede insert being wrinkled at the bottom. They decided they needed to replace the entire seat cover, they ordered one and this is how I got it back.

I got the service manager out to look at it and he agreed they needed to do better. I took it back the week before thanksgiving to have their "interior guy" look at it. They called and said it didn't look much better. I said that wasn't acceptable so they sent it off to a local trim/upholstery shop. They called and said it still didn't look better and they were ordering a new seat cover which was backordered.

They called last week and finally said it was all fixed up and ready to go. Went down today since its unseasonably warm here in Pittsburgh and opened the door to find this...

(Indent on bolster wasn't there at the dealer, I did it for the pic to show how loose the cover is)

My wife was with me today and she thought I was being dramatic when I came back into the dealership. I told her to go out and look at it herself and she came back in and said she agreed with me.

I told the service advisor to keep it until it was made right but he insisted I take it and he was going to engage the regional rep/manager on Monday, they are a 45 minute drive and it's the middle of winter, we lucked out with a day like today (62* and Sunny with clean roads from rain the past 2 days). I begrudgingly signed the pickup paper and drove it home.

Am I being too picky and should just accept this as normal? This is what my seat looked like the day before I took it in the first time, I'm getting real sick of the runaround from GM dealers. I already engaged customer care and they interfaced with the dealer to escalate the replacement seat cover.

Last edited by SK360; 01-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:04 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I'm pretty picky too, which is why I'm very hesitate to have the dealership, or anybody, fix anything for fear it'll be worse. Those wrinkles might eventually work their way out with use, however, doubtful. You could try to use a damp cloth and heat to shrink it some... but ultimately, you could be battling this matter for a long time if you want it perfect. GL.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:12 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

^^^ Wife knows im so pissed about it, she asked if it was time for a Grand Sport or Z06.... So now that's rolling around in my head lol

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-21-2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I had this happen too. If it's under warranty, they should make it right. I have a "wave" in the leather of my passenger seat. They told me it needs to be steamed, which they would do.

I apologized for being so picky, but I told them I appreciate their persistence. They thanked me and said they understood.

When you're nice to them, they tend to work harder to please!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:20 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I had the same problem with my two tone red/black seats...first attempt made it worse...second attempt more worse....Third attempt Different dealer with Area Rep involved...PERFECT.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I would not be happy with that seat. Keep persistent.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:33 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Had the seat back cover on my 2015 c7 , 2lt, replaced due to premature wear. The dealer ordered a new one under warranty and did the install at the dealership. During the install the SM took me back to look at another issue on the car while the seat was being done. The tech already had the seat out on the bench and told me he was reading the factory install notes as he had never done one before. I told him that was O.K. as I had never busted one before. I guess the SM was aware I was concerned about hearing " he had never done one before". The SM said the tech was a 23 year dealership veteran and assured me it would be perfect before I saw the car again............and it was.

Long winded way of saying GM needs to supply a good quality cover and an experienced tech can and should make it look " Factory".

Good luck and maybe post finished results ??
Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

I had a new seat installed in my '14 SRT after the bolster airbag deployed.

Similar wrinkles. Body shop said to give it a few weeks. Something about the leather tightening up and/or the stuffing/foam needing to expand more.

It's all better now. Took a while but it settled. Not saying that's what happened above. Just another idea...
Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 PM
PegasusCapital
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

It should be made right. Keep on their case until they fix it.

A lot of times dealers outsource things like seat covers to an outside vendor. Find out if that is what they are doing, and if so, ask to have another vendor do the repair.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,144 Likes on 2,245 Posts

When I took delivery of my 2016 I noticed the passenger seat bottom had a bunch of wrinkles in it. GM opened a case number to have it replaced but after talking with the Service Manager & their upholstery shop I decided to leave it as is. Both said replacing it would likely make things worse.

Since then I wiped it down with a wet cloth then used a blow dry which did reduce the severity. Then after spending two weeks in the heat of Las Vegas it looked a little better although it still has wrinkles.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-21-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. Seems I'm not being unreasonable that I expect things to look better than they do. I've been very patient nice and understanding with the dealer, the service advisor thanked me for not yelling at him today, I said it wasn't his fault and I know that.

Frankly at this point I'm afraid of buying a GS or Z as per my wife's suggestions because I will still have to deal with GM service

Last edited by SK360; 01-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

(Indent on bolster wasn't there at the dealer, I did it for the pic to show how loose the cover is)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but that looks bad. The area to the right of the flags and the soft/saggy part near the right shoulder is brutal. Taker her back
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

You are not picky. Your seat is not acceptable at all.

I had to have the passenger seat cover replaced twice on my 2015 before it was acceptable. Not perfect but acceptable. The first time they replaced the seat cover only, and it was worse than the original. After my refusal they ordered new foam and a new cover.

Now my new Grand Sport's drivers seat is puckered bad at the stitching along the front after just 500 miles. We'll be discussing that one with them in the spring.

I'll also be trying a different dealer since the dealer that did my 2015, broke the plastic covers over the seat mounting studs. You would think that when the mechanic broke the first cover he would have seen how it was attached, and could have properly removed the other cover, but no, he just yanked up on the second one also. They never told me that they broke them, and I didn't discover it until I got home. By that time it had vibrated out to the middle of the floor.

I don't know how I could ever trust them with a major repair if they can't remove a seat without damaging it.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 01-21-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:56 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't know why they don't just replace the whole dam seat. Then it is finished 1 2 3. I know they won't from prior experience. Rediculous fooling around with recovering. They are not master upolsters
Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would not accept the seat looking like that. They, or someone else they contract with, should be able to do much better.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

So - what's with the leaves on the seat that isn't perfect?
The following users liked this post:
scottaolsen (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Not being picky considering it looks worse now than it did when you first brought to them...

Get notified of new replies

To Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,112 Likes on 752 Posts

Thank goodness most dealers, at least the chevy dealers in my area, send most of the interior leather work to an auto upholstery shop. I don't want a mechanic taking out my seat or attempting to solve seat cover problems. I doubt they receive any training and as previously mentioned, have to read the directions.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I had the same problem with my two tone red/black seats...first attempt made it worse...second attempt more worse....Third attempt Different dealer with Area Rep involved...PERFECT.
I had to have my seat cover replaced in my 14 Stingray. When I went to pick it up mine was twice as bad as yours. I refused to take the car. The dealer worked with the GM warranty team in Detroit. The dealer ended up speaking directly with the seat manufacture in Louisville, Ky. Long story short the dealer was told then needed to use a heat gun to heat up the leather so it would conform to the desired shape. Sounds funny but the dealer did so and the seat cover looked like new. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What dealer in Pittsburgh???

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.