C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School (from a non-owner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM
M1keford
5th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School (from a non-owner)

There have been a few threads regarding the Corvette Owners school, with much positive praise. I don't know if I have anything to add to them, but 48 hours ago I was ripping around their 2.2 mile North/South track, so I'll add my thoughts.

First, I don't own a Corvette. I'd never even ridden in a Corvette. My tastes have run a bit more European. A friend with a Z06 was going and invited me to join him, so I took the opportunity to go to Pahrump with an open mind.

The design of the course is phenomenal. There is not period where you feel you're just waiting for something to happen. There are several segments of the instruction that I found boring/useless (to me), because they were getting into the nuances of the Corvette computer or Corvette specific technical instruction.

The first day had an emphasis on basic driving technique, with time on the skid pad and learning the course layout. The instructors were amazing. They were basically driving the course with their peripheral vision and using the mirrors to watch you the entire time, and were very prompt on the radio. The directions were succinct, targeted, and always kind. Perhaps too kind. They put a positive spin on everything they said, so I don't see how anyone could possibly get hurt feelings.

All track sessions both days were lead/follow, (instructor with 3 followers,) with the first student setting the pace. On day 2, they made constant alterations to the small groups, with the intention of putting people of like speed together. (Due to this, I drove cars with both the magnetic suspension and without. If you plan to track your as yet unordered car - get the magnetic. It's very noticeable.)

Anyhow, I started the class knowing how to drive to the mall, and with some basic understanding of how to Drive. Now, after two days of instruction, I am confident I understand how to DRIVE, though I still need to practice on the execution. There may exist a video of me spinning off the track*. It'll get to youtube soon. But due to the class, I knew exactly what was going wrong, why it was going wrong, and what I'd do differently next time. In fact, when Ken (an instructor) got to me, he asked what happened. I told him. He said "Yep. That's what the skid marks say".

After the spin, when I was behind the wheel again (that's right, exceeding your or the cars limits doesn't equal an ejection), they moved me into a slower group. It wounded my pride, but I almost immediately saw the wisdom in it. I was disjointed, and overthinking things, making me slower. If I'd stayed in the faster group, I would have probably been pushing hard to keep up, and coupled with my new found over analysis, just might have put me off the track a second time.

TLDR: this class is worth every penny of the Chevy subsidized rate, and is even worth the unsubsidized rate. Just try to accept you probably don't know how to DRIVE.

*There is an $8,000 deductible (that can be bought down at check in to $2000 - I didn't and wouldn't) for car damage. If you take 4 tires off the track you may be liable for a $150 alignment fee. Fortunately for me, I just got the wheels dirty, so I got off Scott free. They did make me sign a form outlining what happened and why (probably so I can't sue them for emotional trauma from driving a defective car later). Since everyone agreed what happened, I had no trouble signing it.

Last edited by M1keford; 01-26-2017 at 01:42 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by M1keford:
Black 00 Coup (01-26-2017), blkvet6 (01-26-2017), DAC17 (01-26-2017), Skidplate (01-28-2017), Vyper340 (01-26-2017), Z06NJ (01-27-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Good summary. I went in late 2011, about 6 months after I had got my C6 grand sport. I'm a spirited street driver (grew up in a very curvy section of WV too), so I did not really know what to expect out of the class. Back then, they also put us in groups, and they upped the instructor from a Camaro to a vette. We were lapping the other groups several times each session, and our tires were soft and smoking at the end of the 30 minute sessions. The biggest thing I learned was how to really accelerate in and coming out of the turns (very slightly drifting, keeping it on the edge) to prevent under-steer with the nose heavy ZR1's.

But when the instructor wanted to leave us novices in ZR1's, they could easily do it, even in his Grand Sport.

I will definitely go again, once I decide to get a C7, and have driven it some.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I didn't realize they weren't doing any open-track sessions. The last time I was there for a 3-day program, the last day was almost all open-track with students only and instructors stationed at all corners. We were allowed to pass on the straights only, and only when you got a wave by. If someone was on your tail, you were required to give the wave by, and everyone was good about that.

They split the class into fast, medium, and slower, with each open track session limited to one of the 3 groups. That got pretty wild, and they did time us, so there was competition involved as well.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-26-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I am looking at doing this if there's an opening around SEMA in Oct/Nov. A friend of mine who will also be there expressed interest. How much was it to do this as a non-owner?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 PM
M1keford
5th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

They had a January special (or so they said, I'm a bit cynical of sales people in general) of 10% off the list price of $2500, which treated me identically to the owners. 2 condo nights, free breakfast/lunch/snacks, SD card, gift shop credit, etc.

The track time was all lead/follow. The second car switched out in a controlled manner on the straight, which worked because everyone acted like an adult. There was no passing at speed. 3 groups were on the track at a time, and periodically we stopped to allow the slower group in front to get away a bit.

Last edited by M1keford; 01-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I didn't realize they weren't doing any open-track sessions. The last time I was there for a 3-day program, the last day was almost all open-track with students only and instructors stationed at all corners. We were allowed to pass on the straights only, and only when you got a wave by. If someone was on your tail, you were required to give the wave by, and everyone was good about that.

They split the class into fast, medium, and slower, with each open track session limited to one of the 3 groups. That got pretty wild, and they did time us, so there was competition involved as well.
If you take the level 1 3-day class you get the open track time on the third day. The standard 2 day "Owners School" doesn't have that.

Last edited by Jay_Davis; 01-26-2017 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Msbfdx
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto everything M1keford said. I was in the same class with Mike.

My wife also "did" the full course and although a bit intemidated at first, was glad she went. The folks at Ron Fellows run a VERY professional operation and went out of their way to ensure everyone got a return on their time and money.

The car is amazing.

Don't hesitate to utilize the Weather Mode...it's not a gimmick..especially if you allow someone else to drive. Note: "weather" isn't required to use the weather mode...it is an extra attentive 'nanny' that will keep you out of trouble...think cold morning and cold tires.

Last edited by Msbfdx; 01-28-2017 at 01:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:07 PM
NWOZO6
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Msbfdx
Ditto everything M1keford said. I was in the same class with Mike.

My wife also "did" the full course and although a bit intemidated at first, was glad she went. The folks at Ron Fellows run a VERY professional operation and went out of their way to ensure everyone got a return on their time and money.

The car is amazing.

Don't hesitate to utilize the Weather Mode...it's not a gimmick..especially if you allow someone else to drive.
I was there also and second everything said here and by OP. Was a great experience!

M1keford - I just responded to your PM. Jeff
Old 01-27-2017, 10:43 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Thank u for the write-up. I can't wait to go in March so I can be a better driver and actually LEARN how to be more confident with my Z6.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:02 PM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice post. Planning on a ZO6 course in April

Last edited by Vyper340; 01-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School (from a non-owner)

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School (from a non-owner)