Sponsored by:

My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by hangman
Around the area where I live, people are oblivious to Corvettes... Couldn't even get a passing glance at all...
You must live in a higher zoot zip code than me. Here this car is a white trash Ferrari. Fughedaboudit. I can think of 3 other C7 cars I've seen on the road up here since its debut 3+ years ago. Even my C6 turned heads.

Up here you it would be hard to drive a Corvette 12 months as a daily driver. Too many hills and too much ice/snow from December through March. Not a lot of accumulation generally, but a lot of icy/snowy days with slick conditions. On the other hand, we do have our moments, like early 2011 when we got a 2' snowfall after a 3' storm within six days:

That's an adult deer, over his head in the 50"+ snowpack here on Mt. Doom.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:59 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Everyone wants to try and pass the "C7 Corvette." That is just how it is.
The following users liked this post:
patentcad (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Gunrun
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Leo

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Personally, I don't think the color of your car matters much to LEOs. We'd all like to think that our vehicles are dazzling and attract the eye of the police, and beautiful young women, but the reality is, not so much. No one cares about the color of your car except you. Sorry.

Just my $.02 after 21 years of LE...
Where did you work? I retired In 2014 20 years NYPD
Old 01-30-2017, 12:40 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Must depend on where you live. I live in Snottsdale, AZ. Most of you would know it as Scottsdale, AZ. My Torch Red Corvette/any Corvette doesn't raise an eyebrow. Okay, maybe a classic C1 or 2... Enough Ferrari's/Lambo's/etc running around town, Corvettes are generally not a big deal.

Much of what is referenced has nothing to do with the car YOU are driving, but more so with the idiot next to you. I can be driving my Jeep, and the Dodge mini-van next to me has to launch as fast as possible out of the gate, at a stop light.

They feel the need to floor it, hit the max speed limit as quickly as possible, and then end up cruising at less than the limit!
Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 AM
DP RS
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good luck with hanging onto your license. 150 mph on a public highway is considered "reckless driving" and will get you carted off to jail, mega points, and good luck with your insurance as well. If you're doing that, then yes you are.

Now you're getting it . . . another of my favorite "diss the idiot" traffic games, which I've playing for years, is the "drag race bluff game." You know the one, where you get a little engine rev, you do the same, creep forward a little, and wait for the light to turn green? I just sit there while the fool takes off with squealing tires, and then I start moving forward normally with all other traffic.

Smart drivers separate themselves from fools and loonies as quickly as possible, and provoking them to chase you can easily cause innocent people to get hurt or worse. And these are the same morons seen regularly wrecking their cars on You Tube videos leaving "Cars and Coffee."
Gotta chuckle at this...I was driving around enjoying the warm temps last week, and two guys on bikes pulled up and stayed next to me for about a mile or so. They pulled ahead and at the next light I gave it a small rev along with a big grin and a wave. When the light changed, they both took off (had to be going over 100). I ended up feeling a bit bad for them as the cop they didn't see a few cars back stopped at the light pulled up behind them when they turned into Lowe's. Oops.

Last edited by DP RS; 01-30-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I'll just leave this right here.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM
BHS.SWM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I drove a couple of sleepers for years and no problems. Now I drive a Vette & get numerous challenges by idiots. I have motorcycling racing experience so a " real" race isn't happening on a regular road.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:48 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread reminds me a couple years ago when I was in my truck at a stop light and pulled up next to a base c6 and gave a little rev. They rolled down their windows and mentioned something about not being able to afford one (had a C6Z at the time). Then he stepped in it and I left him in a cloud of black smoke and enjoyed the rest of my day.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by hangman
Around the area where I live, people are oblivious to Corvettes... Couldn't even get a passing glance at all...
And where would that be?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by KGS365
i noticed this immediately people want to ride up onto the back, then they want to pull up along side and see who's driving and try to make eye contact...just the sight of the car gets people going...the side effect of owning this car
Thats why I dress like this (from cannonball run, before the crazies flame):

Imagine their surprise when they get next to you....

Last edited by Spacewalker; 01-30-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Personally, I don't think the color of your car matters much to LEOs. We'd all like to think that our vehicles are dazzling and attract the eye of the police, and beautiful young women, but the reality is, not so much. No one cares about the color of your car except you. Sorry.
I don't think the red car makes a cop more likely to pull you over or anything, I just think it's about the highest visibility color, so maybe if you're shooting gaps @ 80 in a 55 you might get spotted more quickly than say a gray Corvette.

When I got my first Corvette 2 years ago it was a Victory Red 2007 C6 coupe, by far the fastest car I had ever driven, I resigned myself to getting speeding tickets. In nearly 2 years with that car I got pulled over once. A local cop here in my hometown about 10PM at night. He comes back to my car after running my license, etc. and says 'I'm going let you go with a warning this evening sir, first of all we don't like to write up town residents, and secondly, this is my favorite car. Have a nice night.'

True story bro. For the life of me I can't recall the last time I got a warning and not a written speeding summons. So amazingly enough I have yet to get nailed for speeding in a Corvette.

I'm sure I'll get a ticket sooner or later. I have a long track record of going to court and plea-bargaining out of points on my license, I've done it many times. The local towns here just want the revenue. As long as you weren't driving super fast, or were a jerk to the cop, etc. it's usually pretty routine to plea bargain it down to a $100-$150 fine and zero points, at least around here in SE NY State.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:06 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

My Corvettes never get the undesirable attention described by the OP like my Porsches (911) did. Those are the worst for extracting poor redneck behavior.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:22 PM
gottaz51
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Good luck with hanging onto your license. 150 mph on a public highway is considered "reckless driving" and will get you carted off to jail, mega points, and good luck with your insurance as well. If you're doing that, then yes you are.

Now you're getting it . . . another of my favorite "diss the idiot" traffic games, which I've playing for years, is the "drag race bluff game." You know the one, where you get a little engine rev, you do the same, creep forward a little, and wait for the light to turn green? I just sit there while the fool takes off with squealing tires, and then I start moving forward normally with all other traffic.

Smart drivers separate themselves from fools and loonies as quickly as possible, and provoking them to chase you can easily cause innocent people to get hurt or worse. And these are the same morons seen regularly wrecking their cars on You Tube videos leaving "Cars and Coffee."
Some of the best commentary in this entire thread.
There is a time and a place for speed, it only takes a split second to change your life forever....or end it or someone else's.
JK 23112 (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by gottaz51
Some of the best commentary in this entire thread.
There is a time and a place for speed, it only takes a split second to change your life forever....or end it or someone else's.

Very hard to disagree with that assessment.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:39 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecker3
When i take my Laguna Blue Stingray out there is someone looking to test me. And its not fun anymore.
Time for a Civic?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Greetings from Putnam county also
but do get rid of that dealer frame!
patentcad (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 03:23 PM
patentcad
Drifting

While I'll drive the car fast once in a while for VERY short highway stretches, you seriously need counseling if you think it's ok to drive 130-150mph on a pubic road. I once hit 125mph on a deserted stretch of Northway (Adirondacks, far upstate NY) c. 1985 and it was like warp factor 12. I'm sure you get used to it, but the only place for that level of velocity is on a race track. I have never driven that fast since, nor do I intend to. I can have plenty of fun driving my C7 at saner speeds closer (if not always 100% within the bounds of) the posted speed limits. I pick my spots, the #1 limiting factor in how fast I'll drive is traffic. My days of shooting gaps for daylight ended 30 years ago. I have grown up a LITTLE.

Last edited by patentcad; 01-30-2017 at 03:23 PM.
JK 23112 (01-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet

Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

always seems to happen to me when the wife is in the passenger seat so... No way to put the pedal down and not have to deal with the subsequent drone (not from the engine.)
L1FRDOG (02-03-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:47 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
Must depend on where you live. I live in Snottsdale, AZ. Most of you would know it as Scottsdale, AZ. My Torch Red Corvette/any Corvette doesn't raise an eyebrow. Okay, maybe a classic C1 or 2... Enough Ferrari's/Lambo's/etc running around town, Corvettes are generally not a big deal.

Much of what is referenced has nothing to do with the car YOU are driving, but more so with the idiot next to you. I can be driving my Jeep, and the Dodge mini-van next to me has to launch as fast as possible out of the gate, at a stop light.

They feel the need to floor it, hit the max speed limit as quickly as possible, and then end up cruising at less than the limit!
Happened to me this morning. This .... entity next to me floors it at the light while I'm just doing my normal acceleration. Was almost funny. I could hear the other engine. The guy barely stayed ahead of me and I was just driving normally.

Hope he didn't... (have to say it) Blow a gasket
Old 01-30-2017, 05:04 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaphod B
I completely feel your pain.

Mine's not red, it's Watkins Glen Grey with black wheels. I seem to attract lifted trucks and Honda sedan drivers.

On a recent drive from my home in Ft Worth to Possum Kingdom Lake (yes, that is real ) I had a guy in a big Dodge pickup attempt to keep up with me through a set of nice wide sweepers on good asphalt through which 60-70 mph would be a reasonable "sporting" speed , and he finally gave up at something around 80mph.

And what is it with Hondas up my ***?
Visiting the Vampires?

Quick Reply: My Torch Red C7 is an Idiot Magnet