Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 AM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Hope there is a state trooper just outside -- ready to give him hist first ticket for his new ride...
Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Total white trash. He went through all the effort to collect and transport all those pennies and ended up wasting more of his own time doing so.
He probably sleeps better each night thinking that he really put it to them - LOL
Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

He has anger issues, I would too if I had woman sized feet.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
Except screwing with the person at the front door doesn't really address whatever issue he had. I doubt the person that took the cash was the person that caused the issue he had.
If everybody, nah, let's say 50% of people did the same protest are you still saying that it would have absolutely zero effect? I think not. The problem is the public doesn't understand the power it has and fails to organize. And statements like yours really only serve to keep the public thinking like sheeples.

Truth is all he could do is his part really. And for that I tip my hat to him.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Must be nice to have so much time (and money) on your hands that you can take a day off to do this kind of prank *and* pay others $1000 just to help.

And I'm sure that his 'plight' really resonates with people -- "couldn't immediately find out which of his FOUR HOUSES to register his brand new Corvette so as to pay the least taxes..." so he decides to throw a hissy-fit display.

He comes across as quite the ******... wish he had bought a different car than a Corvette.
Right on the money (sorry about the pun).
The guy is ah whiny little bitch.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:29 PM
SteveSoCal
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts

I heard ..... it costs the government more than a penny's worth of copper
to make a penny.

He could have melted it down and sold the copper for more than $3k

(destroying currency is not legal, but how would anyone know?)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Just glad he wasn't in front of me.
He's such a dick he probably wouldn't think to let you go ahead of him.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:08 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

I've heard that red wheelbarrows would be faster...
Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by lakemg
Not everyone has a college degree...
apearently some did not make it past 3rd grade
Movie Muscle (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 02:08 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
apearently some did not make it past 3rd grade
One guy said 6th grade then another said the 5th grade, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that not everyone has an elementary school education...
Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveSoCal
I heard ..... it costs the government more than a penny's worth of copper
to make a penny.

He could have melted it down and sold the copper for more than $3k

(destroying currency is not legal, but how would anyone know?)
Probably true if pennies were still made primarily from copper. Since they are mostly zinc now, no such luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by z28lt1:
SteveSoCal (02-05-2017), WhoIsPat (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

If this guy had the experiences ive had trying to register my Z06, I wouldn't question his disgust.

I bought my car in October. The dealership being put of state collected the "sales tax" then sent me a check made out to the DMV.

shouldn't have been an issue.

Except that the moron woman who doesn't know how to do her job at Lakewood nj mvc tells me that the check (made out for 6400) was more than it was going to cost to register the car and that she couldn't accept it. It was only going to be 6206... wow I thought to myself? Surprised that a dealership like the one I bought from would screw the that up? Oh well. Nobody's perfect right?

so now I had to bother them.... send the check back to the dealer.get a new temporary registration....

Wait for new CHECKS, one for 6000 and the other being the balance which I just deposited in my mod fund, and just today.....because I was so disgusted at the nonsense the first time, I went to the nj mvc again.

This time I went to a different location, as I wasn't going to deal with that moron again. Why is she a moron? Here's why....

the new location does the paperwork and request 6700...... so I said no no no... it's supposed to 6206... they say nope.... 6700... I gave them the paperwork that the moron worked out only to find out that she did it completely wrong.... and was shortchanging the state by 500 which they said would have come off my credit card during the monthly audit and if I used cash or check my registration would be suspended if it wasn't paid in full in 30 days from notice (imagine that bill slipped past me?)

what a bunch of morons... at the lakewood location, the first moron called over another moron and they both came to that conclusion. .. can't use my check because they can't refund me the diffrench.

wasting not only my time, but the dealerships time and money on both ends. Because they suck....

so good for him. If that's why he did it.

both times. 45 minutes standing at the counter having numerous people come over to assist them.. both places. But I definitely know where to lay the blame. It should have been done the right way first time. How hard could it be? Should have KNOWN better my dealership sends cars all over the country they know what they're doing!!!

I knew I waited so long to register this car bease I needed that much time to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

PS, also had problems with my kids at the road test and once renewing my license. A govt. ID old license, birth certificate and they didn't like the way the seal looked on my birth certificate. Almost wouldn't renew my license. I cannot stand the dmv... NJ makes toy pay FOUR YEARS on new vehicles. And they won't refund if you switch classes. Say a car to a pickup etc. So you eat it... it's a joke here
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Three pages of calling this guy names and it appears that NO ONE understands what his issue was. Did anyone actually READ the article, or did you just react to the headline? The guy has a legitimate beef with the DMV. They REFUSED to give him the local phone number of the DMV office in his area. WHY would they do that? To him it was an FOIA issue. The state actually wanted to maximize its revenue and they did not want him comparing tax rates between counties. He sued and his court cases were dismissed. In other words, the government bureaucracy won. So he pulled this trick as an act of revenge.

An example. I have a house in "the country" and a condo in "the city." I can legally register my vehicles at either address. The county in which the city is located has a requirement that all vehicles must be smog tested. It's an annual requirement, costs a bit of money and a lot of time. The "city" can also add to the license costs with a additional tax if they want to, and of course they want to. The county where the country house exists has no such smog requirement and no additional taxes. Given that you know this, here would YOU register your vehicles? Do you think it is within your rights to know the difference? What of the DMV won't tell you? That's what happened here.

Let's try another example. You do due diligence in purchasing a new car. You know there is more than one dealer to choose from and you know their prices can vary. Now what if GM told you that you could not comparison shop and that you MUST buy a car from the dealer in your local area. Would you think that was fair?

This guy is angry because his local government bureaucracy gave him the runaround and treated him like ****. And here is everyone calling him names. He's not a "douche" and he's not a "dick" for standing up for himself. Who cares if he's got four houses? You've got a corvette you don't need. You really ought to do more than react to a headline before you go calling people names. He deserves our support, not our derision. You ought to be ashamed.

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
C2 to C7 (02-05-2017), Movie Muscle (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I did read, and I'm still glad he wasn't in front of me.
The following 2 users liked this post by L8ter:
Movie Muscle (02-05-2017), mschuyler (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
I did read, and I'm still glad he wasn't in front of me.
Fair enough on that point.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Other than satisfying a need for attention, I've never understood the point of these types of actions.
The guys stupid in my opinion and isn't accomplishing anything. Does he think he shouldn't have to pay sales tax on a car he purchased.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Sorry, this isn't class envy. And yes, I read the article.

So they refused to give him a phone number -- BFD. 4 houses and he has no internet to look it up for himself? I'll bet $1000 that those numbers can be found within 2 minutes on Google.

So he filed 3 lawsuits because he was not handed a list of *9* different PHONE NUMBERS that he then demanded? These are STATE offices, not FBI Safe Houses... their addresses and phone numbers ARE available. He wasn't mad that he couldn't get the info -- he was mad that the info wasn't handed to him in a phone call.

That's weapons-grade asshattery, no matter his income. He wasn't just trying to get things done -- he got mad that he felt he didn't get proper service, and decided to get his own 'pound of flesh' with his little wheelbarrow stunt. When you change your objective from 'results' to 'revenge', no sympathy here.

And lastly, no, the "bureaucracy" didn't win when the lawsuits were dismissed -- they were dismissed because the State gave the man the phone numbers he was suing for in the first place.

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-04-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies

Old 02-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

He deserves our support, not our derision. You ought to be ashamed.

Nope. He's still a dick and the clerks didn't deserve his bullshit.
golden2husky (02-05-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Three pages of calling this guy names and it appears that NO ONE understands what his issue was. Did anyone actually READ the article, or did you just react to the headline?
What's amazing is that you read through three pages and you didn't understand why people are pissed at this guy. Yes, we get it that he's pissed but why take down that person behind him who's making minimum wage and getting docked an hour of pay because he couldn't get back to work in time because he only gets 1 hour for lunch? A far better way for this idiot to make his point is to go out in the parking lot and set himself on fire. Now that would've made the evening network news.

Last edited by Mister Big; 02-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:58 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Exactly my point, and if it would've happened here, I wouldn't doubt that some of my Pasco County brethren, who took their lunch break off to pay taxes, would've have taken the rest of the day off, to meet him in the parking lot, and make him eat some of those pennies he was going to have to roll anyway.

Last edited by L8ter; 02-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies