Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies

Old 02-07-2017, 05:07 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Did the bag of pennies explode on impact? That would be great!
In high school, I beat a friend of mine in poker and he owed me $15. He didn't have it. I said, just give me that jar of change. I didn't mind rolling the quarters, etc once I figured out that I had about $100.
It did and the noise scared the crap out of my neighbor in his garage.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
And you're out $5...
My Packers covering the spread, winning the game and me winning a $5 bet at the same time - Fantastic

Giving back the $5 I won - $5

Telling my neighbor what he can do with his bag o pennies without ever having to say a word... Worth every penny.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ

Telling my neighbor what he can do with his bag o pennies without ever having to say a word... Worth every penny.
It would be worth it to me too.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Why do we even still have pennies in our currency?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Sorry, dick move on his part. As misplaced and ignorant as the election protests.

Having the right to do something doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.

My 2 cents - not in a wheelbarrow.
The following users liked this post:
Apocolips (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
Why do we even still have pennies in our currency?
Yes we do! Way back when I was a teenager a friend said that he hoped he was never too good to stop and pick up a penny. At that point I started saving them and still pick them up whenever I see one. I put them in a large water jug that by now weighs a couple hundred pounds. I told the kids my goal was to fill it before I die. It is getting close to the top so I cringe a little when I see a pennies but I still pick them up and I still save them.

However, I would never use them to pull an idiotic stunt like the wheelbarrow gentleman. Putting that much effort and added expense in to something so dumb was sort of a nose/face moment. It didn't just inconvenience a lot of people, it wasted a good deal of taxpayer money in the time it took to deal with it. It would be poetic justice if the state sales tax went up a little due to increased administrative costs.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,185 Likes on 13,909 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I for one am surprised that he was able to get that many pennies from a bank in the first place. Bet the tellers loved him. And I still think it was a stupid stunt and aimed at the wrong people.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:32 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Meh, it's a legal transaction. Not a normal one, but who are we to say use a frigging check or CC when he obviously had all those pennies hanging around? If he had the time to waste, whatever, dude.

I just hope the dealer who sold him the car didn't get paid in pennies, too.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:25 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I wonder if the IRS would find it funny if he tried to pay them in pennies.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,967 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by 540i 6spd
I wonder if the IRS would find it funny if he tried to pay them in pennies.
Wouldn't really matter if they found it funny, they would have to accept it IF the IRS directly accepted cash, which they don't. The IRS uses a 3rd party to accept credit card and cash and the third party uses 7-11 as the retail locations to accept cash. Since 7-11 and the third party are private businesses, they would be free to tell him and his pennies to pound sand (unless their deal with the IRS said something different).

While I wouldn't have done what this guy did and can appreciate those that are annoyed by it, I'm amazed at how long this thread is over someone who did absolutely nothing illegal, paid his bills, and attempted to make a statement.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
Wouldn't really matter if they found it funny, they would have to accept it IF the IRS directly accepted cash, which they don't. The IRS uses a 3rd party to accept credit card and cash and the third party uses 7-11 as the retail locations to accept cash. Since 7-11 and the third party are private businesses, they would be free to tell him and his pennies to pound sand (unless their deal with the IRS said something different).
I'm not so sure. You're paying a debt - a legal debt and as this page says I believe they have to, even begrudgingly, accept it. I don't think sticking a business in front as a collection unit would change that. Of course it may just be a coincidence that you get audited for the next 10 years...
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Of course it may just be a coincidence that you get audited for the next 10 years...
Yeah...something no one wants.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,967 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I'm not so sure. You're paying a debt - a legal debt and as this page says I believe they have to, even begrudgingly, accept it. I don't think sticking a business in front as a collection unit would change that. Of course it may just be a coincidence that you get audited for the next 10 years...
You raise a good point. Private businesses don't need to accept pennies, but this would be paying a public debt through a contracted private business, so which prevails? This is well beyond my legal training, which consists of me sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express at some point in my life....

Think we've gotten sufficiently off of a Corvette Topic here though, so my apologies for contributing to this winding thread....
Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

What an ***!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Coddigtion
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I think he was great to do this.

What I did once was due to a screw up I couldn't wire money out of the account I needed to pull it from, but could cash the check. This is just after the bank receiving the check had changed hands. They wanted to hold a business check for 21 days and a cashiers check for 7 days. I called our Wells Fargo rep, said hey I am going to cash this check but I want all singles, preferably ones that are old and send backs. I cashed the check, went into the other bank 5 minutes before closing on a Saturday and forced them to deposit it right then. I had undone all the bills, made them look like crap in these two boxes. The size of the check wasn't out of normal for the account as one was a scrape account and one was a pay roll account. Took them over three hours to count it as the bills were in such horrid condition they wouldn't feed right through their counters. I just sat there on my iPad, kinda funny. I ran pay roll then next week and the next week had all credit lines closed with the bank and moved both my commercial and residential loan accounts away as fast as I could. Had they not been such an *** I wouldn't have moved the loans.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Must be nice to have so much time (and money) on your hands that you can take a day off to do this kind of prank *and* pay others $1000 just to help.

And I'm sure that his 'plight' really resonates with people -- "couldn't immediately find out which of his FOUR HOUSES to register his brand new Corvette so as to pay the least taxes..." so he decides to throw a hissy-fit display.

He comes across as quite the ******... wish he had bought a different car than a Corvette.
Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
Other than satisfying a need for attention, I've never understood the point of these types of actions.
Originally Posted by dvilin
Idiot.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
What a dick. To make a point he made life hell for the DMV workers who had nothing to do with the making the rules and the people in line around him trying to get their issues dealt with.

I hope the DMV workers made him sit and wait while they counted the pennies before giving him a receipt

Get notified of new replies

To Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies

Old 02-15-2017, 12:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Coddigtion
I think he was great to do this.

What I did once was due to a screw up I couldn't wire money out of the account I needed to pull it from, but could cash the check. This is just after the bank receiving the check had changed hands. They wanted to hold a business check for 21 days and a cashiers check for 7 days. I called our Wells Fargo rep, said hey I am going to cash this check but I want all singles, preferably ones that are old and send backs. I cashed the check, went into the other bank 5 minutes before closing on a Saturday and forced them to deposit it right then. I had undone all the bills, made them look like crap in these two boxes. The size of the check wasn't out of normal for the account as one was a scrape account and one was a pay roll account. Took them over three hours to count it as the bills were in such horrid condition they wouldn't feed right through their counters. I just sat there on my iPad, kinda funny. I ran pay roll then next week and the next week had all credit lines closed with the bank and moved both my commercial and residential loan accounts away as fast as I could. Had they not been such an *** I wouldn't have moved the loans.
Maybe because I hate banks, but this feels more justifiable than the penny guy.

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I dunno -- it's legal tender. If the US gov't didn't want us to use pennies for transactions they wouldn't issue pennies with which to do it.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
I dunno -- it's legal tender. If the US gov't didn't want us to use pennies for transactions they wouldn't issue pennies with which to do it.
Funny thing is the govt. would like to get rid of 'em...they cost MORE than 1 cent to make.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Man Pays Corvette Sales Tax in Pennies