Sponsored by:

Tire sidewalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:44 AM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Tire sidewalls

I'll try to explain this without confusing people.

I am contemplating a new set of wheels (Verona) and tires (TBD). I have a 2016 2LT non Z51 with 18s and 19s with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I am pretty sure I am going to go with 19s and 20s.

What I like - on my current set up the tire side wall has a nice slight round edge to it. Good fit for the wheel. The Grand Sport and Z06 factory wheels also have a nice round side wall on the tires.

What I dont like - I see it mostly on aftermarket wheels and the tires look stretched to fit the wheels. The sidewall is mostly flat and almost angles back toward the center of the wheel.

Is that because the wheel width is not correct for the tire and they actually did stretch the tire to fit the wheel? I want to avoid that look. I do want wider tires and am consider 305's on the rear.

Any advance on how to avoid this? Hopefully I explained it correctly.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Yes - the width of the wheel relative to the width of the tire will have it sit flat or bulge out.

I went from a 10" to a 10.5" on my Z51 with factory width rubber (285) and noticed a very slight difference in the sidewall.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

Tires of different brands all look slightly different and aren't all exactly the same size.

The stretch of a tire just depends on the combination of tire width and wheel width. Also, some tires have a rim protector that makes the sidewall look fatter.

Most people with aftermarket 19/20 setups use 265/305 tires. It gives the car the same beefy look as the stock tires IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire sidewalls

Quick Reply: Tire sidewalls