Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM
findmeintheh
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
fellow forum members I have had a bad day and I thought I would share...

started at 4:30 AM in DC with snow falling and flights being cancelled...mad dash to the airport and hoping my flight was still happening.

I got to the Orlando airport went to the parking structure to my velocity yellow Z51 and noticed some recent rain drops so I opened the hatch got my micro fiber towel and wiped down the car. There were some spots on the hatch so I of course shut it with my bag in the back. Did I mention my keys were in my bag? Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar. I had to call my wife who had to go to our house and get my spare fob and then she had to drive it all the way to dumbass me at the airport.

I had a meeting in Tampa so this put me a few hours behind.

I got the new fob jumped in the car and headed to Tampa. Not 2 miles from the airport on the 528 which is a 6 line highway, I was cruising along in the left lane behind a piece of junk Kia at a blistering 61 MPH in a 55 MPH when a FHP Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and told me to stay in my car. He never asked for my proof of insurance or registration. He came back a little later and gave me a ticket for going 6 miles over the speed limit 61MPH in a 55MPH on a 6 lane highway.

When I pointed out as he would have seen when he ran my license that I had not had a ticket or even been pulled over for almost 14 years he handed me the ticket and said try not to let it happen again.

The ticket is only $129 and at first I thought about fighting it. I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over but the bottom line is I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I suspect any judge would not be very considerate of the guy driving the corvette so I would get hit with the original fine plus court fees.

I am fully convinced the only reason I got the ticket was to pay the Corvette Tax....

ok I'm done venting... thanks for listening...
Gary
Get a lawyer here in Texas a traffic lawyer will cost around $65.00. I have had multiple tickets dismissed.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

There are many great LEO's but we never hear much about them because nobody complains about them... it's usually just the power trippers that can give everyone a bad name.

They are people too and deserve to be treated with some respect. And that can go a long way in how you get treated back... i have personally talked my way out of quite a few tickets, just gotten warnings.. as long as you are not seriously breaking the law to the extent of jeapordizing public safety.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
it's usually just the power trippers that can give everyone a bad name.
Yup.

My earlier question was why don't the good cops weed out the bad ones?
In the many places I worked years ago, whenever a bad apple(s) were detected the rest of us would find a way to make them expendable to management.
It wasn't difficult to formulate a strategy.

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-16-2017 at 02:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AdventurePoser (02-19-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Yup.

My earlier question was why don't the good cops weed out the bad ones?
In the many places I worked years ago, whenever a bad apple(s) were detected the rest of us would find a way to make them expendable to management.
It wasn't difficult to formulate a strategy.
Instead, they (and their union leadership) circle the wagons around the very ones who make them all look bad.

Totally self-inflicted.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:12 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

6MPH over seems a bit extreme but I remember a friend getting cited for 4MPH over. LEOs have been king to me though. Fast driving, no front plate, tinted windows, etc.
gwalsh88 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:19 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I have several LEO'S as friends & neighbors.

Many times in small towns like mine,it's not a safety issue but a revenue issue.

They profile people in certain cars,and I get followed often.

If you or I drove a Prius the same speed over the limit,we probably would not be stopped.

\db2
gwalsh88 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM
frankinvette
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joeycoates
I too used to be a police officer... most of us wouldn't even touch pulling someone over unless 10mph over. I would not unless 12mph over and even then it was just because I had PC to check things out. I very rarely issued a ticket, and if I did it was normally because someone talked themselves into it or did something really egregious like running a stale red light. I wouldn't have even looked at you twice other than to admire the Corvette...
I was a motorcycle (traffic) cop for almost three years, a long time ago. I had two jobs, investigate traffic accidents and write tickets. Regarding speeding tickets I would allow a 10mph cushion, my choice. Understand there is no mandatory cushion, if an officer wants to write you for 5mph he can, you are speeding. I didn't like having to spend my days off in traffic court so I kept it at 10mph, most know they are speeding above that number. Writing this ticket doesn't make him a bad cop, maybe an *** but most people receiving a ticket think the cops an ***. Yes if I saw a corvette or muscle car I would follow, lets face it people don't buy corvettes to drive in the right lane at 55.
I to have run in to less than friendly cops, but its hard to argue, if your in the wrong, best to be polite and honest and hope for the best.
One last comment, I very seldom pulled more than one car over at a time, usually the last one, for me it was a matter of safety (easier to get one car to the shoulder than two).
Keep in mind Law Enforcement is a difficult job especially in these times.
The following 2 users liked this post by frankinvette:
AdventurePoser (02-19-2017), gwalsh88 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

One Saturday I was visiting my son at Camp Pendleton, CA where he was stationed in the USMC.

The base is huge and winds through beautiful canyons and very scenic outlooks.

Anyway, I got pulled over by an MP who told me he had me clocked at 22 mph in a 20 zone. He was firm and civil. Likewise I was polite and calm.

He admonished me to "slow down on the base." I crept out at 20 mph without a ticket.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar.
My OnStar trial expired on both my Z06 and the Cadillac ATS4 and the myChevrolet and myCadillac apps both have the remote keyfob functions (unlock, lock, start engine, stop engine, honk/lights and stop honk/lights) and that all still works.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
atvBob
Racer

I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over ...
With all due respect, what someone else was doing and whether or not they were going faster than you were is completely irrelevant.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I saw on our local TV that the Missouri Highway Patrol gave out 26% more speeding tickets in the 1 to 5 MPH over the speed limit on I-44.

I guess they are needing to increase their revenue since people keep saying no the tax increases.
The CITATIONS are for 1-5 MPH over. But the vehicles were travelling in excess of 5 MPH. They are cutting drivers a break by not citing the driver for the FULL violation.
LT1 Z51 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Make sure ticket is completely filled out. Any wrong or missing information makes the ticket no good. Still need to go to court to get it dismissed.
Largely untrue. There are administrative laws in most jurisdictions that cover these types of minor errors.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by vbdenny
The second group I blame is the cops who ought to know better than write a less than ten over ticket.
You blame a working class guy who's just doing his job. You think s/he should risk her/his job over speeders? That's completely illogical.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I shot back officer I am sorry I gave you grief, if I realized it was $89 that does not bother me at all that is pocket change. Then I said I bet my Cadi cost more then your house.......
Unless I misread what you wrote, you were pretty much a douche. What was the purpose of saying that to him?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
They have to be stationary for radar to work. If radar wasn't used you can fight it with the judge. most of the time the cop never shows up at court so the judge dissmisses case in your favor (NY).
No, radar does not require the officer's car to be stationary.

You can FIGHT any ticket, radar or otherwise. Whether not you win has nothing to do with whether or not he used radar.

Most of the time, the officers DO show up. They get paid (more often than not, overtime) to show up. It's a scheduled day for them.

Yes, if the officer fails to show up for a FORMAL hearing, it can be dismissed. The officer does not have to show up for an informal hearing - your case is typically bound over for a formal trial if the judge or magistrate feels that there is evidence to prove you are guilty of the violation.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:50 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
My OnStar trial expired on both my Z06 and the Cadillac ATS4 and the myChevrolet and myCadillac apps both have the remote keyfob functions (unlock, lock, start engine, stop engine, honk/lights and stop honk/lights) and that all still works.
Thanks to the folks on this Forum, I was made aware of this feature. So I downloaded the app and it still works.

If I had been aware I would not have gotten stuck at the airport and probably would not have gotten the ticket in the first place.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
atvBob
Racer

Thanks to the folks on this Forum, I was made aware of this feature. So I downloaded the app and it still works.
Outstanding!

If I had been aware I would not have gotten stuck at the airport and probably would not have gotten the ticket in the first place.
Well, look at the bright side: Perhaps it will save you from what would have been your SECOND one ...
gwalsh88 (02-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimbob26
... she asked the CHP officer why she was the only one who was pulled over ...
It's rather difficult for an single officer to pull over more than one vehicle at a time, so ...
Old 02-17-2017, 03:05 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by gve
I know it's to late now but did you ask to see the radar?
I have gotten out of 2 State Patrol issued speeding tickets because they wouldn't show me the radar. The officer said he didn't have to, both times my lawyer went with me to court and got them dropped. In fact it was so funny in one court appearance my attorney questioned if the officer was competent to be operating a radar speed device since he doesn't know how to lock in the speed. The judge dismissed the ticket and actually had a smirk on his face, and told the officer he never wanted to seem him back in his courtroom if a motorist asks to see the speed and he can't show it.
I know of no state with the statutory requirement that the officer show you the radar/radar gun. I'll wait for you to identify the specific law in your states's complied law to support your claim.

The bottom line is that an officer is well within his/her right to deny this request. The radar and/or gun is typically located in the front seat area of her/his vehicle, and the officer does not have to provide you with access to her/his vehicle or the contents of the vehicle.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
atvBob
Racer

Originally Posted by tcinla
I took it too court and the judge threw out the ticket. I had to pay ZERO. Why? The judge said that it was not up to the officer to decide which car to pull over and which car to let go..... The officer was honest, at least, when I questioned him about whether the other car was present which led to the judge throwing out the ticket.

It's not about the $129, it's about pushing back on people who don't like you simply because of the car you drive. Fair is fair.

Take it to court, ask the officer about the other car being present, and then why he let the other car go.
I'm sorry, but there's more to the story than just asking about some other car. Asking about why another vehicle wasn't pulled over and you were would NEVER get you out of a citation here. NEVER. It's irrelevant and the officer can only pull over one vehicle at a time, anyway.

If your claim was true, people would simply speed in pairs and nobody's citation would/could ever be held up in court.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax