C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

FHP uses instant on radar. You don't have any chance to react even if you have a radar detector.
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM
LapU
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
wow at 6 miles of the speed limit the radar is hardly accurate enough. I understand you can challenge based upon the radar not being tested on time.

Hopefully the insurance will let it go without raising rates based upon 14 years without a ticket
The radar is certainly accurate enough but that is just a glide down a bit of a slope from 55, maybe with someones speedo being slightly off.

You would need to lock the cruise on 55 or drive with two feet, eyes on the speedo and not the road to get the accuracy this cop demanded.

Go to court. He probably won't shop up and the judge might just laugh at the whole thing.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
LapU
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
FHP uses instant on radar. You don't have any chance to react even if you have a radar detector.
True, not much unless you have a rabbit you let go by.

Did the cop radar you from in front or behind? Also, laser or band?

If you have a car in front, his ability to get you with a band radar is gone. He could shoot you with laser though, and that would hold up as long as he was out of his vehicle in most states.

If he clocked you at 61 while following, he got you. Still though, this won't go far.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:00 PM
rockit1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
it did not work for me...believe me I tried.
it's true, fob in the trunk, doors can remain locked, happened to me
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

First, I would never pull over any motorist doing 10 or less over the posted limit unless there were other factors, ie, tailgating, weaving, etc, etc.

Still, it would crack me up when an irritated drive would look at me and say, "How come you pulled me over? What about the other cars going as fast as me, or faster?"

I asked one driver who attempted to badger me if he'd ever been fishing. He said he had. I asked him if he ever caught all the fish.

Seriously, a ticket for 6 over is pretty CS in my opinion, but as soon as you start attempting to justify your speed, or second guessing the officer's reasons for pulling you over, you are probably going to get the cite rather than a warning...be polite, calm, and businesslike. Sometimes your demeanor earns you a ticket or a warning.

Sometimes it doesn't matter; for a thousand reasons, maybe that officer has to scratch out that ticket. In that case, court is your best option. Sorry you got that ticket.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdventurePoser:
dvilin (02-10-2017), gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

How is it possible people are locking their keys in their cars, is there a setting where you can disable the RKE automatic unlock feature and if there is why on Earth would anyone disable it?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by LapU
The radar is certainly accurate enough but that is just a glide down a bit of a slope from 55, maybe with someones speedo being slightly off.

You would need to lock the cruise on 55 or drive with two feet, eyes on the speedo and not the road to get the accuracy this cop demanded.

Go to court. He probably won't shop up and the judge might just laugh at the whole thing.
When I worked patrol, my supervisors would take a very dim view of not showing up in court. In fact, court days were scheduled so the officer would be available; rarely did an officer not show.

A ticket for six over is pretty chicken shizz IMHO. Good luck.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:07 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,400 Likes on 1,587 Posts

OP, maybe it had nothing to do with your speeding, the color of your Vette, or even the driver of the Kia, but had more to do with you being a Bruins' fan.

BTW, as mentioned, the free RemoteLink app will give you alternative access to your door locks... (below). Also, as future reference, the Vette has a lockout feature that you can enable (second attachment):

gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:09 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
They have to be stationary for radar to work. If radar wasn't used you can fight it with the judge. most of the time the cop never shows up at court so the judge dissmisses case in your favor (NY).
Not true, just so you know.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Get to court early seek out the DA and have it plea bargained down to a non moving violation. With your driving record and the fact you were only doing 6 mph over the posted limit this should be no problem.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 584 Likes on 515 Posts

Technically you're going under the speed limit here in Cali! 65 for us, 55 is very slow for a 6 lane highway.

But the cop must have been having a bad day..

-Josh
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Hi, as I said in my resent threads on a similar subject....cops are ****** that's why no one likes them.
Go do Police work and stop real criminals...*****!
It sounds like you have not had good interfaces with the police.

There is a place in police work for speed enforcement. Excessive speed is a force multiplier; your chance of being injured or killed is much higher as your speed increases. In addition, as you go faster reaction times get shorter, and braking times get longer-this means increased risk to others on the road as well.

I personally think a cite for 6 over is ridiculous-I'd write them for ten over, maybe depending on the circumstances and/or the enforcement area being targeted. In LE, making vehicle stops is one of the most dangerous parts of the job. In both departments I worked for, officers and supervisors took officer safety very seriously-that meant no traffic stops unless they were necessary for whatever reason.

One of the last things I did on the job before leaving the PD was finding and rescuing an elderly lady and two kids out of a burning home. If being an officer makes me a *****, then I am glad to be one.
atvBob (02-17-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

They have to be stationary for radar to work. If radar wasn't used you can fight it with the judge. most of the time the cop never shows up at court so the judge dissmisses case in your favor (NY).
When did you learn about radar speed enforcement? The 1950s and early 60s? Moving Radar has been around since at least 1970 and maybe a couple of years before. NY state LEOs have used it for at least 45 years.

Bill
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Simple - hire an attorney and they will take care of it. You never have to go. It's worth it considering the insurance rate increase you'll get hit with for the next three years. This method works well especially for clean record drivers and a literal 6 over. No one gets a ticket for 6 over unless it's in a school zone.

Speedo calibration
Police radar calibration
And any number of other possible ways to have it dismissed.

Last edited by Vyper340; 02-10-2017 at 12:27 PM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,185 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
How is it possible people are locking their keys in their cars, is there a setting where you can disable the RKE automatic unlock feature and if there is why on Earth would anyone disable it?
Every car has a "map" where it will and will not "see" the fob when exiting. No two cars are exactly the same, but most will not see the fob behind the seats, so it is possible to lock the fob inside the car if the fob is in the cargo area when exiting. I think the most common way to lock the fob in the car is to put it in the trunk/hatch after exiting the car and then close the lid. The car doesn't even look for a fob when you close the lid.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like the FHP was a turd, and you caught him on a bad day. My Godmother got pulled over in a similar manner awhile back and when she asked the CHP officer why she was the only one who was pulled over she was told "based on the car you are driving I figured you could pay the ticket easiest..." She was driving a Cadillac. Go figure.

Out here in Northern California the speed limits are generally 65, but unless you are driving 75-80 you get passed and often given the 1 finger salute for driving too slow. I was going ~80 one morning and 2 CHP's on motorcycles drove right past me. But each state is different, and like any other profession, there are good and bad representatives.

I once got a ticket in Oregon for driving 67 in a 55 zone. The officer was friendly and said to write a mea culpa letter to the judge and ask forgiveness, as they often lowered the ticket amount. My original $109 ticket was lowered to $70. I paid the fine.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Make sure ticket is completely filled out. Any wrong or missing information makes the ticket no good. Still need to go to court to get it dismissed.
This is not true. The court can and almost always will amend the ticket. The primary evidence is the officer's testimony not the ticket, unless there are rare judges or districts that work differntly.

I've had the Corvette ticket-tax as well. A while back, second day having my first Corvette (C5), and my birthday. 52 MPH in a 45 zone (divided 4 lane highway), which is a little worse than 61 in a 55, but probably as slow as anyone ever drives on that road. Officer was polite, wished me happy Birthday, congratulated me on the new car, and then said "You were going slower than almost every car on this road, but I'm assigned to patrol here, so I have to give you the ticket." As a break, he gave me "failure to obey a highway sign" instead of speeding, which the only real difference at that speed was that it stayed your record after 3 years instead of 5 that speeding stays on for. If I was going faster, the failure to obey would have save me $$ and points as well, but not at 7 over. Went to court, plead guilty, judge tossed the fine, but left the charge, so still got the points.

Kicker was that within 12 months the speed limit on the road was changed to 50 from 45.... Wonder if I would have gotten a ticket for 2 over.

Last edited by z28lt1; 02-10-2017 at 12:44 PM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 01:43 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I know it's to late now but did you ask to see the radar?
I have gotten out of 2 State Patrol issued speeding tickets because they wouldn't show me the radar. The officer said he didn't have to, both times my lawyer went with me to court and got them dropped. In fact it was so funny in one court appearance my attorney questioned if the officer was competent to be operating a radar speed device since he doesn't know how to lock in the speed. The judge dismissed the ticket and actually had a smirk on his face, and told the officer he never wanted to seem him back in his courtroom if a motorist asks to see the speed and he can't show it.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:58 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

HOW did the LEO know you were speeding ? Did he use radar ? Did he simply pace you and check against his speedo ? 6 mph is not very much and most decent LEO's will knock it down 5-10 mph or more... depends upon how nice you are. It is certainly within the margin of error for pacing you.
Was it as the end of the month and he had to meet his quota? I think you said that the POS Kia was infact pulling away, so you could not be tailgating. Anyways, i would just fight this based on principle because if this was an LEO being ridiculous, then that will eventually count against him if they fail to convict you, his supervisor may end up realizing he is flagrantly handing out speeding tickets just because he can.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:00 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

2 sides to every story...
The following 2 users liked this post by SharkGrayStingray:
AdventurePoser (02-10-2017), itaylorm (02-11-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax