Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Your problem is you live in the Orlando (central FLA) area.
Down here in Naples/Ft. Myers the new traffic flow limit on I-75 is between 83 & 90!
People slow down to around 79 when there is FHP in the median. Very rare to see anyone stopped.

In town Naples, if you aren't going 15 over you are getting honked at and almost run over (even by Collier Co. Sheriff Cars).

But... since there are so many Vettes, no cops pay any attention to them. Spend their time on Lambo's, Ferrari's and McClaren's.

And... Miami/Ft. Lauderdale can be even faster at times!
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:56 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaylor
while 6mi over is a bit of BS, you probably talked yourself into the ticket with "the other guy was going faster"
you may be right...but I had to mention it... I was super polite about it and did not give any sort of attitude but it may have made things worse...
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88

Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and to
I'll got a ticket years ago for the same situation. Another car was next to me going the same speed but I was the one to get pulled over.

I took it too court and the judge threw out the ticket. I had to pay ZERO. Why? The judge said that it was not up to the officer to decide which car to pull over and which car to let go..... The officer was honest, at least, when I questioned him about whether the other car was present which led to the judge throwing out the ticket.

It's not about the $129, it's about pushing back on people who don't like you simply because of the car you drive. Fair is fair.

Take it to court, ask the officer about the other car being present, and then why he let the other car go.

Last edited by tcinla; 02-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tcinla:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017), vbdenny (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM
CRP
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
fellow forum members I have had a bad day and I thought I would share...

started at 4:30 AM in DC with snow falling and flights being cancelled...mad dash to the airport and hoping my flight was still happening.

I got to the Orlando airport went to the parking structure to my velocity yellow Z51 and noticed some recent rain drops so I opened the hatch got my micro fiber towel and wiped down the car. There were some spots on the hatch so I of course shut it with my bag in the back. Did I mention my keys were in my bag? Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar. I had to call my wife who had to go to our house and get my spare fob and then she had to drive it all the way to dumbass me at the airport.

I had a meeting in Tampa so this put me a few hours behind.

I got the new fob jumped in the car and headed to Tampa. Not 2 miles from the airport on the 528 which is a 6 line highway, I was cruising along in the left lane behind a piece of junk Kia at a blistering 61 MPH in a 55 MPH when a FHP Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and told me to stay in my car. He never asked for my proof of insurance or registration. He came back a little later and gave me a ticket for going 6 miles over the speed limit 61MPH in a 55MPH on a 6 lane highway.

When I pointed out as he would have seen when he ran my license that I had not had a ticket or even been pulled over for almost 14 years he handed me the ticket and said try not to let it happen again.

The ticket is only $129 and at first I thought about fighting it. I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over but the bottom line is I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I suspect any judge would not be very considerate of the guy driving the corvette so I would get hit with the original fine plus court fees.

I am fully convinced the only reason I got the ticket was to pay the Corvette Tax....

ok I'm done venting... thanks for listening...
Gary
I also live in Orlando and feel your pain, FHP is like that, always has been, always will be. No disrespect to any Officers of the Law but FHP is a unique bunch, much different than Orange County, City of Orlando, etc.

With all that being said, I've gotten out of two FHP tickets by rescheduling my court date, neither time the Officer showed so both cases were dismissed.

If you have a case, which it sounds like you do with in-dash video I would spend the time to fight it just for the points. My personal time is worth more than the $129 and four hours of wasting travel time and court time, however, those points with Vette ownership may cost you more than $129 come insurance renewal time.

Best of luck from an Orlando Vette Brother.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 PM
alimustafa23
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
The first group I cam blame for this type of ticket is our worthless, spineless elected representatives who enact pathetically low speed limits to generate revenue. The second group I blame is the cops who ought to know better than write a less than ten over ticket. The third group to blame are drivers who drive hot, attention grabbing cars WITHOUT using a radar detector and WAZE or not having one of those black stickers with the blue stripe on their cars.

Just upgraded ine of my V1 units and drove from VB to northern NH and back, 1,552 miles, and they never missed a beat (or a cop). With the cops having all this new technology to catch you and generate revenue for their jurisdictions, it is up to drivers to protect themselves.

First, write to their elected representatives to change obsolete laws, second understand the cops did not make the laws, they get paid to drive around bothering non-crimnal people for 6mph over a limit. Third, as a driver YOU should take the offensive and protect yourself with every electronic device to avoid being nabbed.

Keep in mind than a vast number of RADAR, VASCAR, and LIDAR units are purchased for the po-po by the insurance companies that froth at the mouth at the thought of the cops writing more tickets which will allow them to significantly increase their rates to you because a driver who goes 6mph is apparently a real danger.

While many news channels tell us a bunch of BS about terrorists and the threat, most motorists are far more afraid of the police. Remember the Boy Scout rule (former scout and scoutmaster) which is BE PREPARED.
^This. Couldn't have agreed with you more!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I just remembered another ticket that the judge, separate city/court from my previous post, threw out essentially for the same reason. Both judges said that the enforcement officer put themselves in place of the judge by deciding who the law should apply to.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:16 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

cop was a douche
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

There was this nutty in town cop that would give out tickets by the dozen per hour when I was in my 20's...He got me for 5 miles over in a UPS truck! Thursday night was court night. We counted 250 or so people with tickets! The judge sent everyone home because he didn't show.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Gary, you had a really tough day.
Full moon.

Is this a hill you want to die on?
If there was any assurance you'd get points reduced/eliminated, I'd say go for it. But, this was/is a revenue trap & 'justice' will be hard to get.

Good news is everyone gets a day like this, it's statistical certainty.
You won't be due another, for quite a time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Landru:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017), itaylorm (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I know a lot of law enforcement folks in my line of work. I think a majority of them are offended by the notion that a "thin blue line" or FOP sticker is somehow going to keep you from getting pulled over, or escaping a citation.

It can and does backfire to have one of those on your car, and they're well aware of why most people have it there. For most, it has nothing to do with supporting law enforcement.

Try it if you will, but whatever you do, don't be silly enough to point it out when you're pulled over.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.
AdventurePoser (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:08 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
FHP uses instant on radar. You don't have any chance to react even if you have a radar detector.
There isn't a radar detector on the planet or any other planet that will protect you from "instant on" radar.

Anyone who thinks differently really should put down that crack pipe!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Here on the central coast of OR, the speed limits, especially in the small towns, which is most every town, are very low and enforced.

When you come out to visit, and you see everyone with OR plates doing 20 in a 20 zone, be advised, LOL.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
There isn't a radar detector on the planet or any other planet that will protect you from "instant on" radar.
I've been using a radar detector since the very first "Fuzz Buster" and I can tell you that you beat "instant on" radar. Now I concede the fact that if you are the only car on the road it's a little more difficult but the cop is always just around the corner or just over the hill. So in those situations drop to less than 10 over and you're good. But in normal driving you are not the only car on the road and cops using "instant on" are shooting everybody as they come around the corner or over the hill. And your detector will pick up that signal before you get in range. You just have to believe the detector especially approaching corners and over hills.

I find the biggest problem today is that so many cars are using the same radar frequency for "adaptive cruise control" and other warnings that false signals are making the radar detector almost useless.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

with your Corvette Tax assessment. I gotta wonder...had you been in front of the junk KIA, would this Highway Patroller have pulled over the KIA or gone around the KIA and tracked the bright yellow Vette? We will never know but I think bugs like yellow.

Kinda chicken crap giving you a citation 61 in a 55, unless he was giving you a break by citing only 61 in a 55 when actually your speed was much higher. Fess up. Far as the KIA speed...that has no relevance to your ticket. If you feel you are not guilty plea not guilty and make your case. He testifies first. You're allowed to ask Q of him when he is on the stand. The worst that will happen is a finding of going 6 miles over.

But in FL you should have options. Look on the back and see if there is a provision whereby you can elect to attend a driver "improvement" course approved by Florida. It may be just a one day 4-hour course. Internet course $34 or in-person $25. It may take 2 weeks for your certificate which must be provided to the Clerk of Court within 90 days.
See if option #3 on the back agrees.

That way POINTS SHALL NOT BE ASSESSED.

When all is done, write a polite letter to his supervisor asking that he be transferred a.s.a.p. to the nearest NW FL barracks patrolling coastal Hwy 98 in Walton County. Advise his supv that speeding is totally unchecked by locals and tourists alike around here. Zilch enforcement. That could be due to local Sheriff not wanting to upset the voting public by issuing them tickets or could be that deputies do not know how to write tickets or even accident reports. Your FHP will be in ticket heaven here in the NW.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I've been using a radar detector since the very first "Fuzz Buster" and I can tell you that you beat "instant on" radar. Now I concede the fact that if you are the only car on the road it's a little more difficult but the cop is always just around the corner or just over the hill. So in those situations drop to less than 10 over and you're good.
How is he good less than 10 over when he got a ticket going 6 over?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
How is he good less than 10 over when he got a ticket going 6 over?
No help to the OP but 6 over is way out of the norm for most police. Did he ever say how the speed was measured? I've lost track.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 02-10-2017 at 06:34 PM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

There are "ticket fixer" sites out there but I just had a client pay "court costs at $380" and their fee still had it show up on his license record.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DogTag-C7R
Personally....I wouldn't fight it as you WERE speeding in a judges eyes. I'd take an online defensive driving course and they will dismiss it, if in fact it's your first speeding ticket in 3 years....my 2 cents
Does anyone else believe the Corvettes should have a special speed limit just for us because our cars are safer going fast then other cars?
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,586 Posts

^^^ No. It's not the car that concerns me, but the driver. A good driver in a piece of crap is better than a crappy driver in a good car.
The following 2 users liked this post by sTz:
atvBob (02-17-2017), vbdenny (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Does anyone else believe the Corvettes should have a special speed limit just for us because our cars are safer going fast then other cars?
Now it's been 25 years since I've driven in Italy but at that time the speed limit on limited access highways was not fixed but was actually dependent on how much horsepower your car had. That would be nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax