Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 PM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
What app are you talking about? my onstar free trail ran out almost two years ago. The basic onstar does not cover unlocking the doors. No more to the story...I actually got a ticket for $129.00 for going 61 in a 55.
What time is your court date?

Here in Texas, the cop issuing the ticket has to appear in court to testify against you. If the court date is set for early morning or late evening, most cops will think it's not a good use of their time for a lousy ticket and won't show.

On the other hand, you might be right about the Corvette tax and he's out to get you, no matter what.
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:41 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
If, during your active OnStar subscription, you downloaded the OnStar app onto your phone, the fob commands remain active for five years, even if your subscription expires.
I was not aware...but I'm guessing it would have not made a difference... first because I was not aware! and second I switched from an iPhone to an Android a couple of months ago.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Number 1, I agree with this.

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow, what a bad day!

First would take that to court and throw your self on it's mercy; you have nothing to lose, IMO.

Number 2, I agree with this regardless of how #1 turns out.

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
Life is too short to waste one minute doing or thinking anything about the ticket other than paying the fine and moving on.
Best of luck!
gwalsh88 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:47 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta

Here in Texas, the cop issuing the ticket has to appear in court to testify against you. If the court date is set for early morning or late evening, most cops will think it's not a good use of their time for a lousy ticket and won't show.

On the other hand, you might be right about the Corvette tax and he's out to get you, no matter what.
yeah..it just happened today so no court date as I'm not sure I want to fight it after all it is only $129.00 fine. This Highway Patrolman may have been having a bad day or maybe he has some issues with corvettes. I don't think I want to bet on him not showing up at court. As many have said even though there was someone in front of me who was also speeding...the fact is i was over the posted speed limit.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 PM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by girardta

To the OP, I would find a way to dismiss the ticket so your insurance won't increase.

As mentioned, in Texas the cop has to appear in court to defend the ticket. In addition to that there are multiple legal ways to dismiss a ticket in Texas.

1: Ask the judge for a deferment. Everyone is allowed a deferment on a traffic violation. The rule is that you do not get another ticket in 90 days and the original ticket is dismissed. If you do get a ticket within 90 days, the first ticket is on record but you could request deferment for the second ticket. You do have to pay court fees.

2: Ask for defensive driving to dismiss the ticket. Everyone is allowed one time per year to take a defensive driving class to dismiss a ticket. You have to pay court fees and defensive driving class fee.

3: Change your court date. You are allowed to change your court date up to 3 times. The thought here is that you push the court date out so far in the future that the cop doesn't show. Also, all changed court dates are scheduled for night court most of the time so that increases your odds that the cop does not show. Your ticket will most likely get dismissed.

I usually request the court date change first, then if the cop shows up, you can still request the judge for a defensive driving course to dismiss the ticket. Added benefit is that the course also applies for a discount with the insurance company as well. Kills two bird with one stone.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I saw on our local TV that the Missouri Highway Patrol gave out 26% more speeding tickets in the 1 to 5 MPH over the speed limit on I-44.

I guess they are needing to increase their revenue since people keep saying no the tax increases.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:18 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I saw on our local TV that the Missouri Highway Patrol gave out 26% more speeding tickets in the 1 to 5 MPH over the speed limit on I-44.

I guess they are needing to increase their revenue since people keep saying no the tax increases.
1-5 mph? Most speedometers aren't even that accurate.

I always try to keep a friendly demeanor, and often ask for a warning. It works about half the time.

Michael
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:19 PM
The_Gretz
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Hey OP, you're in my neck of the woods! I think we all know the local cops can be pretty understanding, but for some reason the FHP guys are pretty strict and no-nonsense. Not quite sure I understand why... but you're right, probably you stuck out like a sore thumb in a VY C7

Sorry to hear you had a bad day, but things can only improve, right?
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 PM
4R27TH
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

A few years ago in rural Missouri I was speeding and I got a ticket. I don't live in Missouri so I got a local lawyer and he had the charge changed from speeding to driving with a burned out tail light. Now, it was no longer a moving violation so it didn't show up on my record and increase my insurance.
Try to keep that speeding ticket off your record. That $129 doesn't seem like much now but it will probably increase your insurance rates for the next several years.
Sorry it happened.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:40 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

while 6mi over is a bit of BS, you probably talked yourself into the ticket with "the other guy was going faster"
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

ok I'm done venting... thanks for listening...
Gary
If it makes you feel better about 15 years ago while driving my wife's VW Golf I got a ticket for doing 28 in a 25 MPH zone. This was at 2:30am and about a mile from my house so it was obvious I was headed home.

I'm sure he was fishing for DUI and that's why he pulled me over, not sure why I got the ticket. I didn't say a word and neither did he.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:59 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MyChevrolet App is free. Unlocks your doors (or locks them) remotely. Also does a lot more.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 AM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got one for doing 27 in a 25 zone. I got another for doing 55 over in a 55 zone. I guess they even out in time.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I did the same thing the first time I drove my c6z to the airport. The airport police officer tried to get in it, but was worried he would damage something. I just walked back into the terminal and rented a car.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default they always pull the last guy

so if you were behind the speeder behind the other speeder you get the ticket. i can't be sympathetic because i'm freezing in the NE with my vette on a battery tender.

fellow forum members I have had a bad day and I thought I would share...

started at 4:30 AM in DC with snow falling and flights being cancelled...mad dash to the airport and hoping my flight was still happening.

I got to the Orlando airport went to the parking structure to my velocity yellow Z51 and noticed some recent rain drops so I opened the hatch got my micro fiber towel and wiped down the car. There were some spots on the hatch so I of course shut it with my bag in the back. Did I mention my keys were in my bag? Yup locked the keys in the back and I'm a cheap bastard so I do not pay for onstar. I had to call my wife who had to go to our house and get my spare fob and then she had to drive it all the way to dumbass me at the airport.

I had a meeting in Tampa so this put me a few hours behind.

I got the new fob jumped in the car and headed to Tampa. Not 2 miles from the airport on the 528 which is a 6 line highway, I was cruising along in the left lane behind a piece of junk Kia at a blistering 61 MPH in a 55 MPH when a FHP Highway Patrolman came flying up behind me, I pulled to the right and he stayed with me. I could not believe I was being pulled over. When he came to the window he said he pulled me over for speeding. I pointed out there was a car in front of me who must have been going just a little faster than me and wondered why I got pulled over but they did not. He got pissed and told me to stay in my car. He never asked for my proof of insurance or registration. He came back a little later and gave me a ticket for going 6 miles over the speed limit 61MPH in a 55MPH on a 6 lane highway.

When I pointed out as he would have seen when he ran my license that I had not had a ticket or even been pulled over for almost 14 years he handed me the ticket and said try not to let it happen again.

The ticket is only $129 and at first I thought about fighting it. I have a dash camera so and I can prove the POS in front of me was let go while the yellow Corvette was pulled over but the bottom line is I was going faster than the posted speed limit. I suspect any judge would not be very considerate of the guy driving the corvette so I would get hit with the original fine plus court fees.

I am fully convinced the only reason I got the ticket was to pay the Corvette Tax....

ok I'm done venting... thanks for listening...
Gary
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I always try to keep a friendly demeanor, and often ask for a warning. It works about half the time.
Yes, arguing that someone else was going faster pretty much guarantees you'll get the citation. Never question an LEO on his/her judgement on the side of the road and be exceedingly respectful. You can question their judgement in court later, if necessary, but usually it's just best to beg for mercy.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-10-2017 at 01:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017), USMC 0802 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:23 AM
RedZ
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was not aware...but I'm guessing it would have not made a difference... first because I was not aware! and second I switched from an iPhone to an Android a couple of months ago.
I switched phones also. I can still use the app on the new phone to lock/unlock car.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 AM
17gs
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to be a police officer, but that's the kind of sh*t that makes me say, "F*cking Cops!"
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 AM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure ticket is completely filled out. Any wrong or missing information makes the ticket no good. Still need to go to court to get it dismissed.

I like the idea of getting a new court date, I'll have to try that someday.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:23 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 457 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I would fight it even though you were truly speeding.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax