Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Owner Busted by GoPro for Insurance Fraud

Old 02-16-2017, 02:13 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Bad alignments, and too much torque for inexperienced drivers is the jist I got.

I just read the whole thing....
Thanx.
I did suspect torque played a big part in it.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
A lot of C6 and C5 owners with anecdotal comments saying their car NEVER kicks sideways - if it spins it spins, but still goes straight.
LOL.

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
I don't know how someone owns a hi-po car for more than 10 minutes and doesn't understand GTFO the throttle when you start to fishtail.
That always mystifies me too.
But you see it again and again and again.
YouTube is choke full of videos of guys with their foots to floor while heading straight in to a wall, etc..
It amazing just how quick a car will straighten out by simply getting off the damn pedal.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

There's some law fail in here. Any racetrack that doesn't have you sign a standard waiver for negligence would be run by dumb bunnies. And a waiver is generally enforceable if properly written (informs signer of the risks, only waives negligence, not recklessness or intentional conduct).

BTW, last I checked, Corvettes are among the top-10 cheapest cars to insure in America, not sure why people are complaining about regular comprehensive. I pay like under $900/yr.

I couldn't tell from the video; was he still on the throttle when he spun out into the wall? Only other way that happens is if his front linkage broke? I don't know how someone owns a hi-po car for more than 10 minutes and doesn't understand GTFO the throttle when you start to fishtail. Edit: OK spinout to the right is a C7Z thing?
MCOS - mustang car owners syndrome...

"if it starts spinning on a gear, grab the next gear and floor it...itl drift just a little"
Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I don't think he went full throttle into the wall. I am pretty sure when the rear kicked right pointing him to the left lane he abruptly let off the throttle and that is what put him into the wall. He should have rolled with it and steered the car out of it. There are lots of conditions where getting off the throttle will not straighten out the car. In my observation, abruptly getting off the throttle is what causes many crashes. When racing and track driving we try to train ourselves to be smooth, control our reflexes, and not react abruptly when things get loose.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

djnice,

What you say is true on a road course, not a drag strip. I still maintain that if he let off the gas as soon as he started to loose the rear end he would have never hit the wall.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I think your right about that, and my experience is mostly road course oriented. He let off too late, but he didn't go full throttle into the wall as some have stated. So do you think once he let off too late, he could have saved it by maintaining some throttle?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

As I look at it again, it seems he let off the gas pretty quickly so I'm not sure what caused the spin. I'll defer to those more experienced in this kind of mishap. He might have just over corrected with the steering wheel.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
Your kidding right?

Do you have any idea what car insurance would cost for any car deemed, statistically likely to ever be used in a racing event?

The price of a policy on a Toyota Prius would likely remain just about the same as it is now........but the price on a V8 Pony car or Corvette would sky rocket ........NEEDLESSLY for the rest of us who don't ever take our cars to the track.

There is good reason that insurance doesn't cover you at the track and you are VERY SHORT-SIGHTED for suggesting it should.
Disagree 100% ; drag strips are safer then the roads ; we pay premiums for racer wannabes on the road pushing their cars; if they stretched and gruged it with their buddy on the strip it will only be max one other car in danger ; if anything happen which is very unlikely at drag strip

If they made drag strip insuranced into our policies less idiots would race on streets therefore less damgae therefore lower primuums ; insurance companies don't include it because then they would get less money ** so they rather make more and end life's ***

Maybe states should mandate it so then we get the idiots off the streets and into safe drag strips **
Old 02-16-2017, 08:47 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

There's some law fail in here. Any racetrack that doesn't have you sign a standard waiver for negligence would be run by dumb bunnies. And a waiver is generally enforceable if properly written (informs signer of the risks, only waives negligence, not recklessness or intentional conduct).

BTW, last I checked, Corvettes are among the top-10 cheapest cars to insure in America, not sure why people are complaining about regular comprehensive. I pay like under $900/yr.

I couldn't tell from the video; was he still on the throttle when he spun out into the wall? Only other way that happens is if his front linkage broke? I don't know how someone owns a hi-po car for more than 10 minutes and doesn't understand GTFO the throttle when you start to fishtail. Edit: OK spinout to the right is a C7Z thing?
Corvettes havent had a throttle "cable" since the C4.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Corvettes havent had a throttle "cable" since the C4.
I meant a broken front end steering part could have possibly put him into the wall. But reading about the C7Z, I guess hard-to-starboard is a thing.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I meant a broken front end steering part could have possibly put him into the wall. But reading about the C7Z, I guess hard-to-starboard is a thing.
This wreck was straight up driver error.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This wreck was straight up driver error.
yup and it couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
yup and it couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.

Which is kind of the original point, which was getting caught with insurance fraud, which affects all of us, not diagnosing how he screwed up. Just sayin...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Owner Busted by GoPro for Insurance Fraud