C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacific Coast Highway (SR1) Road Trip - Seeking Your Input

Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 AM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just something to keep in the back of your mind - once the sun goes down on Hwy 1, it is really DARK and those windy roads . . . well be careful. And not a lot of hotels on that Hwy so make plans and have a reservation. But in daylight - that is a wonderful drive! Enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikefeeser:
blkvet6 (02-23-2017), Maxie2U (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Morro Bay is a nice little town. We always stop at glass beach in Ft. Bragg. The people in this town dumped their trash in the ocean for years and the beach is covered with tiny pieces of the colorful worn glass. The red woods are spectacular. I was told that the PCH north of Morro Bay is closed right now due to the washed out road caused by the heavy rains.
Attached Images  

Last edited by robertbruce; 02-16-2017 at 09:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertbruce:
AdventurePoser (02-17-2017), Maxie2U (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:23 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

We are fortunate enough to live on the central Oregon coast, but also lived in the LA area for many years. The trip you are contemplating is a regular commute for us.

A couple of things....first, someone said in an earlier post that there is nothing to see on this route until you get to CA. What??? The coast of Oregon is rugged, filled with breathtaking scenery of incredible beaches, sea stacks and coastal mountains. If you are driving on US 101 make sure you take the time to stop at the various lighthouses, turn offs, and day use state parks to take pictures. In addition, the bridge over the mighty Columbia river in Astoria is incredible. Also, check out Cape Perpetua, Cape Foulweather and Hetceta Head for some great options for photos! Devil's Churn has some great short hikes along the cliffs. I highly advise you to get out of the car and do some walking in these lovely areas!

Others have mentioned the various tourist attractions on the Oregon coast. The Tillamook Cheese Factory is a great stop, as are the historic bayfronts in Newport and Florence. A tip: if you like jerky, stop at the Tillamook outlet in Bay City, about 4 miles north of the Tillamook creamery. It is a large building with a prominent sign out front. The jerky is delicious and at $12.99 a pound, a real bargain. Sometimes Marina and I will take a 60 mile road trip just to pick up some delicious treats there!

Continuing south, Battle Rock in Port Orford is worthy for taking some pix and stretching the legs. There are also some very inexpensive motels in Port Orford. South of Port Orford is Humbug Mountain, which is the highest mountain directly on the coast. Good hiking here.

South of Port Orford is Gold Beach. A fun thing to do is take a jet boat ride up the Klamath river. Jerry's Jet Boats is just south of the bridge going into town. Stay in town-there are many motels, and take the jet boat in the morning. Be sure to make a reservation.

California's coastal route is beautiful. South of Eureka, visit Ferndale, a town filled with Victorian architecture. It's a good place for a lunch stop as well. South of Ferndale is the scenic bypass called Avenue of the Giants. You MUST get off the freeway and take this road-miles of incredible redwood trees...

South of here you will eventually find yourself in Garberville, and then the turn off for CA 1. As others have said, CA 1 is beautiful, rugged, and very twisty. You can stay on this route all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge. Park for a few minutes at the Marin Headlands directly northof the bridge for (hopefully) an amazing view of the Golden Gate.

You have many options south of the Bay area megalopolis. You can continue down CA 1, or take US 101 and then head west to Monterey and back on CA 1. Depends on your time limits, I think.

On the central CA coast, we really like Morro Bay, and further south, Santa Barbara and Ventura. Take some time strolling along main street in Ventura. (Off US 101 and the California St. exit). Good restaurants along here, especially the mom and pop Mexican places.

Now a few disclaimers: First, traffic along your route will be bad. The RV traffic will slowly build, so your best driving will be in the mornings. Remember, everyone else will be taking their "dream trip" as well, so take a deep breath, relax, slow down, and enjoy the vistas. Second, weather along the coast can be cold and foggy. Inland a couple of miles it will be hot, but your route next to the ocean can be foggy and windy for days on end. Third, watch your speed limits. Many coastal towns have limits of 20-30 mph. The local police mean it. US 101 in Oregon outside the towns is 55 mph, but the SP will give you a bit of latitude. 7 over may be okay if you aren't tailgating or calling attention to yourself in other ways. Fourth, make sure you have reservations. Along the coast, especially on the weekends you will need them. Weekdays, you can probably find lodging without them, especially if you stop earlier rather than later.

That's about it. PM me for detail on any of these places. We'd love to meet up with you when you get to Newport.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
We are fortunate enough to live on the central Oregon coast, but also lived in the LA area for many years. The trip you are contemplating is a regular commute for us.

A couple of things....first, someone said in an earlier post that there is nothing to see on this route until you get to CA. What??? The coast of Oregon is rugged, filled with breathtaking scenery of incredible beaches, sea stacks and coastal mountains. If you are driving on US 101 make sure you take the time to stop at the various lighthouses, turn offs, and day use state parks to take pictures. In addition, the bridge over the mighty Columbia river in Astoria is incredible. Also, check out Cape Perpetua, Cape Foulweather and Hetceta Head for some great options for photos! Devil's Churn has some great short hikes along the cliffs. I highly advise you to get out of the car and do some walking in these lovely areas!

Others have mentioned the various tourist attractions on the Oregon coast. The Tillamook Cheese Factory is a great stop, as are the historic bayfronts in Newport and Florence. A tip: if you like jerky, stop at the Tillamook outlet in Bay City, about 4 miles north of the Tillamook creamery. It is a large building with a prominent sign out front. The jerky is delicious and at $12.99 a pound, a real bargain. Sometimes Marina and I will take a 60 mile road trip just to pick up some delicious treats there!

Continuing south, Battle Rock in Port Orford is worthy for taking some pix and stretching the legs. There are also some very inexpensive motels in Port Orford. South of Port Orford is Humbug Mountain, which is the highest mountain directly on the coast. Good hiking here.

South of Port Orford is Gold Beach. A fun thing to do is take a jet boat ride up the Klamath river. Jerry's Jet Boats is just south of the bridge going into town. Stay in town-there are many motels, and take the jet boat in the morning. Be sure to make a reservation.

California's coastal route is beautiful. South of Eureka, visit Ferndale, a town filled with Victorian architecture. It's a good place for a lunch stop as well. South of Ferndale is the scenic bypass called Avenue of the Giants. You MUST get off the freeway and take this road-miles of incredible redwood trees...

South of here you will eventually find yourself in Garberville, and then the turn off for CA 1. As others have said, CA 1 is beautiful, rugged, and very twisty. You can stay on this route all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge. Park for a few minutes at the Marin Headlands directly northof the bridge for (hopefully) an amazing view of the Golden Gate.

You have many options south of the Bay area megalopolis. You can continue down CA 1, or take US 101 and then head west to Monterey and back on CA 1. Depends on your time limits, I think.

On the central CA coast, we really like Morro Bay, and further south, Santa Barbara and Ventura. Take some time strolling along main street in Ventura. (Off US 101 and the California St. exit). Good restaurants along here, especially the mom and pop Mexican places.

Now a few disclaimers: First, traffic along your route will be bad. The RV traffic will slowly build, so your best driving will be in the mornings. Remember, everyone else will be taking their "dream trip" as well, so take a deep breath, relax, slow down, and enjoy the vistas. Second, weather along the coast can be cold and foggy. Inland a couple of miles it will be hot, but your route next to the ocean can be foggy and windy for days on end. Third, watch your speed limits. Many coastal towns have limits of 20-30 mph. The local police mean it. US 101 in Oregon outside the towns is 55 mph, but the SP will give you a bit of latitude. 7 over may be okay if you aren't tailgating or calling attention to yourself in other ways. Fourth, make sure you have reservations. Along the coast, especially on the weekends you will need them. Weekdays, you can probably find lodging without them, especially if you stop earlier rather than later.

That's about it. PM me for detail on any of these places. We'd love to meet up with you when you get to Newport.

Sure wish I had had all this wonderful info when I did my trip. While I truly enjoyed my trip and saw loads of exceptional scenery, it appears that I missed a bunch.

I just wish it wasn't a long, hard 4 day drive from Springfield, MO to the Pacific ocean(and another 4 days to get back home), or I would be doing the trip again.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-16-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Bixby bridge has been on my driving bucket list. Looking forward to seeing it for the first time then driving over it. Heck, I may turn around just to drive over it again!

Thank for the pics...getting excited already!
You def. need to get some photos from both sides, depending on the sun!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by bearphoto
From Leggett south is quite a windy road and steep (heading south) for down bound traffic. You will love driving through the overhang of trees once you hit the towns on Hwy 1 below Leggett. Someone else mentioned Hearst Castle. This is a must see if you've never done it before. They offer different tours but it can get quite crowded during the summer. Be sure and make reservations online.

Monterey is quite nice, there is a nice motel on the coast called Borg Hotel. They are just inside Pacific Grove next to Monterey. Take in the Monterey Aquarium, its interesting.

Big Sur area is very scenic too. Santa Barbara/Ventura area is nice and so is Malibu. After that coming south it does not impress me but just my opinion.
True. Once you've left Ventura southbound you are in the grip of the city. Use the freeways hopefully not at rush hour peak times. Cruise through, get down to Orange County and explore the beaches. Just remember this is all an urban environment. You left the countryside above Santa Barbara!

Originally Posted by millpond
Carmel is a great spot. If you do Big Sur, Nepenthe restaurant has great views and the banana cream pie is the best.
Have the "Ambrosia Burger" while sitting outside. Very nice.

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Maxie, I haven't been that route and can't help on sites. Just wanted to say this is one of our "must do's", and I'm looking forward to your pictures. Have a safe, and fun trip.
Do the "intro" tour at Hearst Castle so you can get an overview of the whole place. It the place really resonates with you, come back and take another tour or two. Do make reservations in advance.

Another great spot to have lunch is on the Big Sur Coastline called Lucia. It is a small market, deli, and restaurant. It's tiny and quiet. Much nicer than "Gorda" the next town down the road. I love the way the restaurant and hotel rooms are perched on the cliffsides. If you can snag a room here, good on ya. They are pricy...no TV, no internet, and rustic. I love the place.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by TyBoo
Monterey is a favorite of mine from a few trips through in the late 70s and early 80s. I went back there last June and was looking forward to driving down Highway 1 in the Corvette with the top down.

It is still a very pretty drive but be prepared for the traffic. It seems every spot where there was a good view for pictures there were cars filling the pullout and people walking all over the road. Not a problem if you're not in a hurry, but I was a little disappointed in that it wasn't the same idyllic drive it was in the 1979 MGB.

But it is absolutely worth the time to do it! As you can see from dashotgun's amazing pictures there is a lot of very unique beauty.

I may have missed it in the thread, but where in Oregon are you starting? There are some pretty breathtaking sites to be found here, as well.
Driving from my house in Portland Oregon over to Seaside Oregon then down 101 through Oregon.

I had a beach house in Newport Oregon overlooking Agate Beach for 15 years and drove the length of the Oregon coast a bunch of times except for the areas south of Coos Bay. It's as awesome as any coastline in the country.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-17-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Sure wish I had had all this wonderful info when I did my trip. While I truly enjoyed my trip and saw loads of exceptional scenery, it appears that I missed a bunch.

I just wish it wasn't a long, hard 4 day drive from Springfield, MO to the Pacific ocean(and another 4 days to get back home), or I would be doing the trip again.
Sounds like you need to make a summer of it...
There is so MUCH to see and do on the Coast Highway (and the areas just off it).
Although I have lived near the Central Oregon Coast for 30+ years, I've barely scratched the surface.

Last edited by sunsalem; 02-17-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Maxie2U (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Sounds like you need to make a summer of it...
There is so MUCH to see and do on the Coast Highway (and the areas just off it).
Although I have lived near the Central Oregon Coast for 30+ years, I've barely scratched the surface.

This:

There are so many things to see, especially if you love nature and photography...lots of tourist places as well.

The OR and the CA coast are worthy of a month's exploration, but if I had that kind of time I would do during the coast's best kept secret: Fall or Spring. The temps are a couple of degrees lower, but there is little fog and traffic. The ride can be magical.

For example, last weekend we took two days and drove the coast to Brookings, then cut inland on CA 199 to the mountains around Grants Pass OR. From here we jumped on OR 208 which wound thru the mountains for miles upon gorgeous miles. We visited picturesque small towns such as Jacksonville, and eventually ended up in Ashland for the second evening. We saw virtually NO RVs or other traffic that impeded us. There was no fog so the views on the coast were stupendous as usual.

If summer is the only time you can make this drive, you will still enjoy it. However, if you can go in October or April, you are in for a real treat!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikefeeser
Just something to keep in the back of your mind - once the sun goes down on Hwy 1, it is really DARK and those windy roads . . . well be careful. And not a lot of hotels on that Hwy so make plans and have a reservation. But in daylight - that is a wonderful drive! Enjoy.
So true. CA 1 is a spectacular drive and in many places is extremely twisty, with sheer drops to the ocean below.

We are fortunate that CA 1 and US 101 is a commuting route for us. Once you jump off 101 below Eureka and head south on 1 lodging becomes more expensive and scarcer. Fort Bragg is many motels-Mendocino has lots of pricy B&Bs and small inns. We normally head east on CA 128 below Fort Bragg and hook up with US 101 thru some wine country. We get lodging north of San Francisco, then go south on 101 and then heading over to Monterrey near Salinas. From here, it's all CA 1 again until the sprawl begins at Santa Barbara.
sunsalem (02-17-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM
rw99
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Heads-up: Hwy 1 through Big Sur is shut down at the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge. Hopefully the damage is minor...

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...ign=user-share

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by rw99:
blkvet6 (02-23-2017), Maxie2U (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:37 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Originally Posted by rw99
Heads-up: Hwy 1 through Big Sur is shut down at the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge. Hopefully the damage is minor...

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/...ign=user-share

Rich
Hopefully they come up with a fix and don't have to replace the entire bridge. That would suck.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:11 AM
rw99
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Really sorry to report that the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge is damaged beyond repair:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/S...d-10951909.php

This "breaks" Hwy 1 between Monterey/Carmel and San Simeon/Cambria/San Luis Obispo, which is a real shame.

An alternative to the alternative Hwy 101: check out SR25, which is further inland. Much more open road, scenic in a different way. South from Hollister... you still have to come back to 101 to get down to Paso Robles (and back over to Hwy 1), but SR25 allows you much more room to use the throttle.

Caveat: I've got no idea how well SR25 has fared in all this rain.

Best,

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by rw99:
blkvet6 (02-23-2017), fugly1 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Really sorry to report that the Pfeiffer Canyon bridge is damaged beyond repair:

This "breaks" Hwy 1 between Monterey/Carmel and San Simeon/Cambria/San Luis Obispo, which is a real shame.

An alternative to the alternative Hwy 101: check out SR25, which is further inland. Much more open road, scenic in a different way. South from Hollister... you still have to come back to 101 to get down to Paso Robles (and back over to Hwy 1), but SR25 allows you much more room to use the throttle.

Best,

Rich
This sucks!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Best,

Rich
Love this route, Dan. Done it many times as well.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:03 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Another option is US 101 to Carmel Valley Rd. This is a twisty, gorgeous drive that empties out at the south end of Carmel-by-Sea. From here you could come south and explore the top "half" of Big Sur...
Maxie2U (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM
vet4me45
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AdventurePoser
Another option is US 101 to Carmel Valley Rd. This is a twisty, gorgeous drive that empties out at the south end of Carmel-by-Sea. From here you could come south and explore the top "half" of Big Sur...
Totally agree. Carmel Valley Road is a nice drive from Carmel to Greenfield. Then on to Paso Robles where there are 300 wineries, good food and fun places to stay. He can take SR46 from Paso back to the coast and go north a few miles and catch San Simeon and then south again to Morro Bay and other fun places.
Maxie2U (02-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Pacific Coast Highway (SR1) Road Trip - Seeking Your Input

Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 PM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

One other caution. The turn outs along the coast are not all smooth and easy. Watch for steep transitions, pot holes, and drop offs. New pavement may not have a transition installed. Same for service stations and other road side attractions. Also, not everyone pulls all the way off the road when they park for a view. Be careful out there.

There is a road just North of the Golden Gate Bridge that winds along the coast and by some of the costal gun emplacements. It's an interesting drive after a stop in Sausalito.

Most of the other stuff has been mentioned. But three deserve reinforcement. The drive through the Avenue of the Giants above the 101 to 1 transition is stunning. Stop and take a walk in the woods. It is a different place. A visit to Laguna Seca is not far out of the way and is a pilgrimage for any sports car enthusiast. The 17 mile drive is the other half of that pilgrimage.

Drive safe. Pat
Maxie2U (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:45 PM
rdricks
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

17 Mile Drive is one of my favorite drives. Gorgeous views, wildlife, Cypress trees. Great area in Carmel.
Maxie2U (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Originally Posted by vet4me45
Totally agree. Carmel Valley Road is a nice drive from Carmel to Greenfield. Then on to Paso Robles where there are 300 wineries, good food and fun places to stay. He can take SR46 from Paso back to the coast and go north a few miles and catch San Simeon and then south again to Morro Bay and other fun places.
Not to mention Parkfield, and all the county "G" roads that are fun to drive, such as G14,15,16, etc, etc. You could spend days...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway (SR1) Road Trip - Seeking Your Input