Sponsored by:

Trade-in on new Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trade-in on new Corvette

Hi all, new member but long time Corvette owner. Currently own a 66 coupe. I am looking to upgrade to some new technology and am looking at leftover 16's as well as a 1LT, M7 with NPP 2017. I'm leaning towards red but just about any color but white or black would be ok. My question is did anyone do a trade that wasn't a Corvette and did it affect the total rebates? My paltry retirement check allows for only one car payment per month so I would have to trade my current daily driver. Any dealers like to comment? I'm in PA but I would travel anywhere east of the Mississippi if the deal is right. Thanks.

Rick
Old 02-07-2017, 10:47 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

I have to check what's currently available but most rebates require household ownership to qualify but doesn't require that the vehicle be traded. But it certainly can be a trade vehicle.

Corvette loyalty now applies to all Corvettes
GM sometimes offers a conquest rebate which requires a non GM rebate. This is generally not stackable with loyalty.
There is also a mailer that is sent out sporadically, ok if thrown in garbage, which dealer can check and see if your on it. Ask them to check manifest list.

Hope that makes sense, pm me if I can help or contact macmulkin, kerbeck or mike at criswell. I've talked with Mike, competed against Kerbeck and heard nothing but good things about Macmulkin. They are all class operations and enthusiasts.

Oh and I don't sell anymore so I would just be for information but happy to help.

Last edited by JC 2004; 02-10-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Program change pointed out by another member
Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I did a Corvette trade-in with Mike at Criswell. It was quick and easy. You're closer to him than I am. It would be worth a phone call to see what he can do. You might want to consider a CPO car to keep cost/payments more manageable. Ask Mike what he has in inventory.
Criswell sells multiple brands of vehicles. They can evaluate your trade-in and let you know what they'll allow.

Last edited by roadbike56; 02-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

When I traded in my Audi the dealer asked me how much I wanted for it. He entered it into some online dealer auction with the reserve and it was bid on. I got a little more than my minimum. This was totally independent from the negotiated price of my car.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Hi all,
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that any year Corvette can be used for the loyalty rebate as long as it was licensed and insured, or does that vary from dealer to dealer.

Rick
Old 02-09-2017, 09:00 PM
NOMOREWORK
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I was told by McMulkin that I qualified by owning a 1989.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Rather than trusting what you read on the Internet, call one of the dealers and ask them about the loyalty rebate.

I've bought two new Corvettes from MacMulkin and had a great experience both times. I recommend that you try them first.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JC 2004
I have to check what's currently available but most rebates require household ownership to qualify but doesn't require that the vehicle be traded. But it certainly can be a trade vehicle.

If you don't have a 1999 or newer corvette then you don't qualify for the loyalty rebate even though you own the 66.
GM sometimes offers a conquest rebate which requires a 1999 or newer non GM rebate. This is generally not stackable with loyalty.

Hope that makes sense, pm me if I can help or contact macmulkin, kerbeck or mike at criswell. I've talked with Mike, competed against Kerbeck and heard nothing but good things about Macmulkin. They are all class operations and enthusiasts.

Oh and I don't sell anymore so I would just be for information but happy to help.
Originally Posted by NOMOREWORK
I was told by McMulkin that I qualified by owning a 1989.
Current loyalty rebate does NOT specifiy 1999 or newer. 66 will qualify.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Just logged onto global connect and you are correct.
I could have sworn it was 1999 or newer when I bought in December and again checked in late January but I must have looked at an old site. Then again maybe too many years seeing the old program brainwashed me,lol.

Below is the program directly from Global connect this morning. Sorry for the error, and thank you for the correction!

Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Thanks JC2004 for tracking that down and others for your actual experience. I stopped at a local dealer that has a very nice 2016 leftover but is standing firm on price. At least I'm not missing any driving time since it may take a while for the 8" of snow we got yesterday to melt.

Rick
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Hi all,
After some thought I decided to keep the daily driver and sell the 66. Not only will I be in a better position to deal, with cash in hand, it will also free up some garage space. I will be posting the 66 coupe in the C2 section when I get a chance. Tell all of your friends.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
gottaz51 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
When I traded in my Audi the dealer asked me how much I wanted for it. He entered it into some online dealer auction with the reserve and it was bid on. I got a little more than my minimum. This was totally independent from the negotiated price of my car.
I agree with the above. I would also add that the first trade offer will never be satisfactory to you. Lock in the sales price of the new car, and then be prepared to walk away on the basis of the low trade offer. Then just wait 2-3 days (or longer) if necessary. The dealer will shop the car around, and more often than not come back with a significantly higher trade offer.

I've done this a dozen times or so over the last decade, and it has worked 80-90% of the time for me. As Maxpowers said above, they will shop your trade around if they don't want it for their used car lot, and usually come up with a higher offer.

We just did this a couple of weeks ago on my wife's trade-in of a '15 MB C-300. We ended up with $4K more than initial trade offer, along with a modest additional discount over what we'd already locked-in on the car she wanted, and that we purchased.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

If you live in a sales tax state and can deduct trade in value from tax obligation: Find buyer for your 66 and trade it in on paper. Have the dealer simply transfer.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Hi all,
Just sold the 66 to a happy C2 forum member. Now all I have to do is find the right dealer to buy the new C7 at. I would like a red, M7 with NPP,thats all. Should be tons of them.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Trade-in on new Corvette

Quick Reply: Trade-in on new Corvette