Sponsored by:

Z06 gets me in trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
You have to look at the road/highway you are on before you speed. The trick is to find one where there's no place for the cop to park and zap you (safely).
Like roads with guard rails or lots of trees, cliffs close to the road etc.
Sage advise, BUT, there're exceptions too.
Lived in Newburgh, IN and met a guy w/ a pewter C5 who told me this story...he was going south on I-57 in IL, turned east on I-64 which goes E-W through entire southern part of IN into OH.
*This stretch is nothing but cornfields for many miles w/ nothing, no bridges, obstructions etc except exits to small country towns located well off beaten path of Interstate. Driven the stretch many times.

Guy opens his C5 up on this stretch reaching somewhere into triple digits, told me it was thrilling. Then, about 10 miles east of where he'd last had it opened-up comes an IN State cop hell bent for election, drops-n directly behind him. BIG speeding ticket.
But how?
He was clocked from the air.

Moral of story's IF coast looks clear, no matter how desolate, it probably ain't. When opportunity for a WOT on empty stretch presents itself remember empty stretches are actively patrolled, specifically looking for HP vehicles opening it up.

Besides radar/ladar/laser, watch the skies for light aircraft paralleling Interstates. One's likely to be there, waiting unseen like a spider.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

99 times out of a 100 if you treat an LEO with the respect they deserve, they'll pay it back. Doesn't mean you'll always get a warning instead of a ticket, or get a reduced ticket, but often it does.
The following 3 users liked this post by OnPoint:
AdventurePoser (02-20-2017), Blvdbrawler (02-20-2017), TRANS DAMM (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Ain't that the truth.
Douchebags fighting violent crime in the middle of nowhere by handing out speeding tickets...
Still haven't figured that one out. They share the same zip code as the incorporated city of Sisters, OR. They are simply a very large resort. Do they even have a municipal government ? Not sure how the state of OR allows them to have a private police department that can write citations on a federal highway.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have a 40mph 4 lane road nearby that I gun it to about 80 for a short period. Railroad tracks to the right and a golf course lining the left side and no intersecting streets as a result for about 1/2 mile. No place for a cop to lay other than overhead. Found out about it around 25 yrs ago at a local car meet when guys were bragging about hitting 110 and I asked where.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
So my getting a ticket for speeding on an open road without another car in sight would have made you happy? Even though I was literally the only car in the road? You should probably buy a Prius. I messed up and got a bit overzelous yes. I put no one in any danger however and wasn't being reckless in anyway. Let's face it we don't just buy or drive these cars for their good looks. Most of us bought them their performance and power. If you bought your corvette to look at it just sell it, take a picture, and put it in your wallet.
So, you weren't pulled over for going "40 mph over the speed limit," after all. There's absolutely no possibility of that having happened then. If you even were doing "40 mph over the speed limit," you'd of been cited for it. Your story about that isn't believable.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

Please say you were just kidding...
As long as nobody gets killed, you're good with say, everyone doing 40 mph over everywhere, including 40 mph over in School Zones then? After all......what could go wrong?! Got it....

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-19-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Get stopped doing 40 over in TX and unless one is extremely blessed, the car is going onto a tilt bed and you are going to jail. Even on the open stretches of I-10 between Van Horn and Sierra Blanca the DPS will burn you. Ditto I-20 from the I-10/I-20 split east to Pecos
Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
So, you weren't pulled over for going "40 mph over the speed limit," after all. There's absolutely no possibility of that having happened then. If you even were doing "40 mph over the speed limit," you'd of been cited for it. Your story about that isn't believable.
Lol your absolutely ridiculous and a troll. Your right this story was all made up. I have nothing else to do with my time but make up stories to post of the forum. Please do us all a favor and just stfu. Thanks! By the way not to brag as I'm not proud of it but I'll elaborate just so you can put your foot in your mouth moron. I was doing 104 in a 55. Leo paced behind me @94 which is what he stated when he got to my window. After admitting my fault and stupidity he gave the these two non moving violations. 1. Improper display of plates 2. Obstructing traffic. Now go crawl back into your hole of misery and conspiracy dumb dumb.
Blvdbrawler (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Pathetic skid row. Glad to know how careful you are.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Obstructing traffic ? Now that there is funny. How the hell is one obstructing traffic doing 104 ? Glad I live in TX. Very few rural highways left with 55 mph limits. Sadly, I live in one of those counties. Excepting the interstate which is 75/70 depending on location.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't think any of us speed through school zones or in town. When the speed limits are set unrealistically low (in some cases less than 1950's) it forces people to speed. 40 over on a crowded Interstate is plain crazy. In Wyoming across the desert? So what? Really depends on the situation.

Last edited by vbdenny; 02-19-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

TX utilizes what is known as ETJ. It truly is abused by so many small towns as a means of revenue. Maypearl, TX is a classic example. On the two state highways coming into town from the NE (Dallas)and NW(Ft Worth), they have extended their jurisdictional authority 3 miles beyond the physical portion of the city proper. The Maypearl police do not provide any services to those of us that are county residents. They simply use the ETJ to write speeding tickets.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So I own a stingray and my cousin has a Z06. I live in brooklyn Ny while he lives in freehold NJ. There isn't much room in brooklyn to really get on the throttle, there is plenty of open empty and beautiful road in Nj. So I took my cousins Z for a spin. Nothing but open straight road in sight. didnt take long to see the flashing lights behind me. I was going a little to fast. 40 mph over the speed limit. I openly admitted my stupidity and told the officer I was just having a good time. I didn't make a nonsense excuses. Simply explained that in brooklyn there isn't much room to enjoy the car and I just got a little to ahead of myself here. Cops in jersey are notorious for being very strict and even mean at times. Not this one. Maybe he appreciated my honesty or the fact that I turned the car off and kept my hands on the wheel. I don't know. All I do know is that I could have lost my license for a month or in some cases even have had my cousins brand new Z06 impounded. He did give me 2 tickets which were very small and for non moving violations. Once he called in the stop I don't think he could have just let me go without writing a ticket of some sort. At least my license and insurance rates won't be effected by them. Could have been a very bad day. Lesson learned. Today I just got lucky.
Okay, you live in Brooklyn and do not go out on Long Island? Take the ferry to Rhode island, via Connecticut? You don't know where to go? I lived in East Hampton for a few months. I do know for a fact there are some great spots over there to get on it. One for instance is the Calverton executive airpark. The west runway is CLOSED. East is used for skydiving. I was out on it a bit with some "friends", especially at night. Sometimes everyday. The last event I was there for was SS Camaro vs Dodge. Nat Geo was filming it. They had a GT 500 Mustang also and the 1ST thing it did was break. I think it was the transmission.
Also, another reason to head out there, Snowflake ice cream in Riverhead has the BEST ice Cream, anywhere, bar none that I have ever been to anywhere. I travel a LOT and EVERYWHERE. Best hamburger, Hamilton Montana! Then right across from Snowflake is Buoy One. Incredible fresh lobster and seafood. I preferred those places than any of the snob restaurants in the Hamptons. I don't mind paying big money for great food, but it better be fantastic. Thing is, you really don't have to spend big money for great food. Get out away from the rat trap of the city. My wife even says Snowflake is the BEST! Wine Country deli and catering in N. Calverton, fantastic sandwiches also. There is a great Greek restaurant in Ronkonkoma. Don't remember the name.
I just don't understand you New Yorkers.
God man, you really need to get out a hell of a lot more and far away!

When I lived in Montana, the speed limit was reasonable and prudent. I will not discuss my cruising speed. It wasn't called Bahntana for no reason!

One thing I will add, the only difference I could tell from New Yorkers and people from New Jersey, was the zip code.

Last edited by Coc5; 02-19-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So I own a stingray and my cousin has a Z06. I live in brooklyn Ny while he lives in freehold NJ. There isn't much room in brooklyn to really get on the throttle, there is plenty of open empty and beautiful road in Nj. So I took my cousins Z for a spin. Nothing but open straight road in sight. didnt take long to see the flashing lights behind me. I was going a little to fast. 40 mph over the speed limit. I openly admitted my stupidity and told the officer I was just having a good time. I didn't make a nonsense excuses. Simply explained that in brooklyn there isn't much room to enjoy the car and I just got a little to ahead of myself here. Cops in jersey are notorious for being very strict and even mean at times. Not this one. Maybe he appreciated my honesty or the fact that I turned the car off and kept my hands on the wheel. I don't know. All I do know is that I could have lost my license for a month or in some cases even have had my cousins brand new Z06 impounded. He did give me 2 tickets which were very small and for non moving violations. Once he called in the stop I don't think he could have just let me go without writing a ticket of some sort. At least my license and insurance rates won't be effected by them. Could have been a very bad day. Lesson learned. Today I just got lucky.

Your license and insurance wouldn't be affected anyway. In NY at least.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

That officer was an outlier. I've been pulled over a few times in my NJ years, only once did I get a verbal. Usually it was either a reduced ticket for the original violation or a ticket for a petty non moving violation. The latter keeps more of the $ with the municipality so the officer isn't doing YOU the favor, he's doing his municipality the favor.

We were out with some friends looking for the restaurant we had reservations at in Parsippany NJ once, I made the mistake of going more than 10MPH under so I got pulled over. I still had my out of state license at the time ahd he grilled me if I had ever had a NJ license and that a quick check will tell him. He told me "it was going to go south for me real fast if I'm lying to him", he said it with his hand on his unsecured gun.

The police are one reason we left NJ, that and the property taxes.

Now PA police on the other hand are just like anyone else...normal people without the chip on their shoulder.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:51 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

This thread now has me wanting to tweak my tune to detune it and set the speed limiter to 75 mph...
AdventurePoser (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

You have a lot to be thankful for

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 gets me in trouble!!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
TX utilizes what is known as ETJ. It truly is abused by so many small towns as a means of revenue. Maypearl, TX is a classic example. On the two state highways coming into town from the NE (Dallas)and NW(Ft Worth), they have extended their jurisdictional authority 3 miles beyond the physical portion of the city proper. The Maypearl police do not provide any services to those of us that are county residents. They simply use the ETJ to write speeding tickets.

Had to Google "ETJ", interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrat...l_jurisdiction
Old 02-19-2017, 07:58 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Austin
Just got my Z51 back from being supercharged last weekend, and happened to have a dry morning. On I-5 at o-dark-thirty got pinched for reckless because I passed a motorcycle, and he tried to keep up - cop was behind us I guess in the dark...I pulled to the right as soon as I saw the lights - he pulled me over and told me the state patrol was going to pull the bike...comes to the car and says, "just couldn't resist, could you?" I just shook my head and snickered a little...mailed me a summons ticket, not sure what the outcome is going to be, but I have to go to court next month... Even when you THINK you are good, you may not be!
Driving fast at night can be problematic.
It helps immensely to memorize the headlight signatures of LEOs in order to avoid a surprise from the rear.

Originally Posted by Landru
He was clocked from the air.
Many years ago, the State Police here in Oregon used a plane to patrol the main interstate (I5).
It lasted only a short time.
The reason being the total costs weren't disclosed before they were given the Okee-Dokee for a plane patrol.
Once it become known, the public demanded it be stopped.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:40 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
They are simply a very large resort.
Black Butte Ranch is a resort AND has private home ownership.
Do they even have a municipal government ?
No, it's an unincorporated community.
Not sure how the state of OR allows them to have a private police department that can write citations on a federal highway.
Oregon has special laws for resort communities, this includes the private law enforcement employed by the Homeowner's Associations.
The State considers some of these communities' private police to be duly sworn LEOs.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
As long as nobody gets killed, you're good with say, everyone doing 40 mph over everywhere, including 40 mph over in School Zones then? After all......what could go wrong?! Got it....
Huh?
Who said anything about speeding in School Zones?

NO offense, but in the future, please read my posts more carefully.
If you choose to respond, only do so to what I wrote.

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I still had my out of state license at the time ahd he grilled me if I had ever had a NJ license and that a quick check will tell him. He told me "it was going to go south for me real fast if I'm lying to him",
Definitely one of those LEOs who watch WAY too many TV cop shows.
he said it with his hand on his unsecured gun.
Hand on the gun for a minor speeding infraction, eh?
What an asshat.
He's the kind of cop who gives all LEOs a bad reputation...and the kind the GOOD cops should purge from their ranks yesterday.

Quick Reply: Z06 gets me in trouble!!