C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a thousand billion questions. Mostly about tires.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Have a thousand billion questions. Mostly about tires.

I am reading everything I can in the forums in preparing for picking up my vette on Tuesday.

One thing that concerns me slightly is the Z51 summer only tires. I live in Michigan, and I do plan to store my Corvette in the winter when it is snowing. Sometimes though, it's still cold but there isn't snow yet, or it has gone away.

Has anyone replaced the tires with all season tires? Is that recommended when you live in the Great White North?

What are the weather limitations for the Z51 summer only tires?

Do you have any other advice that you would like to dole out to a newbie? I am picking up a 2016 Z51 2LT, added Nav, PDR, with Magnetic Ride Control. Coupe, M7.

The sportiest car we have owned is a 2011 RS Camaro, so at least I hear that the blind spots pale in comparison.

Just thought of another question, does the PDR already have a memory card in it, or do I need to bring my own?

Last edited by Kelsvet; 02-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Changed out the tires on my 2015 C7 the first chance I got. Put on some all season non run flats. Rides great and I don't worry about any cold weather cracking.

Best bang for your buck.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...andard%20Model

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-19-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The PDR doesn't come with a memory card so you'll have to bring one. Why they don't include one when they're getting $1,795 for the system is completely beyond me.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelsvet
I am reading everything I can in the forums in preparing for picking up my vette on Tuesday.
Here is some more to read!
This PDF is about "Chatter" which is caused by the Michelins being close to race car tire construction (not tread compound.) You'll want to NOT turn the wheel about 3/4 from full lock on slow speed turns when it's below ~45F. This explains why. Traction is poor below that temp as well. Don't drive below 30F (although some do.) Get some Winter tires-the Chatter goes away also:
http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

Chatter is much worse than my C6 Z51 with it's Goodyears and Firestones I used to replace them. The Firestone had poorer cold weather traction but not as bad as the Michelins. However love the Michelins when it's warm. Well worth any inconvenience when it's cold in SC-but that's not like Michigan!

This one is a bit more controversial but never used blind spot mirrors on my '88, '93 or C6 2008 Vettes. IMO they are needed on the C7 AFTER YOU SET YOUR MIRRORS per the 1995 SAE tech paper to eliminate blind spots! Your choice:
http://netwelding.com/Blind_Spot.pdf

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Michelin has ZP all season radial out that is 19/20 so it fits the Z51.

Fronts...#19713 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 245/35ZR19 ZP ASY M+S,
All Season Tires $236

Rears....#05262 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 285/30ZR20 ZP ASY M+S
All Season Tires $286

Get those and drive happy.

Elmer
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
DAC17 (02-19-2017), Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:56 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I also live in Michigan and have had no issues with the stock tires. I've driven in 35 degree weather with no problems (just don't get on it too aggressively).
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Originally Posted by vettnutt
I also live in Michigan and have had no issues with the stock tires. I've driven in 35 degree weather with no problems (just don't get on it too aggressively).
Hey Neighbor! Thanks for the advice, I am going to try and behave. I promise!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by vettnutt
FWIW, I have driven at 35F as well, not often, and once at night when it was 30F.
Below ~40F I put it in Weather Mode until I drive and the tires heat up (observed by pressure increase-tire temp info not very useful.)

Tried that when it was 30F and they never did get warm enough to take off of Weather Mode to where I normally drive Sport. In a turn with no traffic even modest throttle had the rear start to loose traction and step out. In Weather Mode the nannies come in faster and no issue if careful.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I am reading everything I can........

Has anyone replaced the tires with all season tires?

........so at least I hear that the blind spots pale in comparison.
Your car sounds terrific!

All season tires are essential to drive year around. I would change them out before driving anywhere, but to the tire shop.

There are NO BLINDSPOTS, when the C7's mirrors are adjusted properly.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:32 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

if it snows a lot where you live then get a dedicated set of WINTER tires mounted on a set of rims for ease of swap but not necessary.

I usually keep mine on until after the May long weekend (here in Canada) and put them back on after the first snow fall usually some time in October.

Now if you're going to track your car like I do go with a set of Sport Cup 2 by Michelin when it comes time to replace your OEM.

If you're not going to track it then get yourself a set of high performance all season tires to replace your OEM.

Just my opinion.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:51 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Since you don't need to drive the car in snow or sub zero temps, I would not get all season tires unless you are only running them during winter months. Otherwise why even get a Z51?
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:01 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

All season dws-06 for winter on stock wheels, summer pss2 on z06 rep wheels. If I saw more than a couple days of snow I would have opted for dedicated snow tire for winter on my daily driver instead of dws-06's. I just put as3+ on my GTI and they seem really good as well. Haven't had much snow this year in NC so really haven't had much experience with the as3+, but last year I had no problem with the dws-06 in 6" of the white stuff. Being supercharged I spin no matter what anyhow.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Johnp94
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Changed out the tires on my 2015 C7 the first chance I got. Put on some all season non run flats. Rides great and I don't worry about any cold weather cracking.

Best bang for your buck.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...andard%20Model
What are the setting displayed n the cluster when you do not have sensors in the rims. Is their an override. ?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One thing that concerns me slightly is the Z51 summer only tires. I live in Michigan, and I do plan to store my Corvette in the winter when it is snowing. Sometimes though, it's still cold but there isn't snow yet, or it has gone away.

Has anyone replaced the tires with all season tires? Is that recommended when you live in the Great White North?

What are the weather limitations for the Z51 summer only tires?

Do you have any other advice that you would like to dole out to a newbie? I am picking up a 2016 Z51 2LT, added Nav, PDR, with Magnetic Ride Control. Coupe, M7.

The sportiest car we have owned is a 2011 RS Camaro, so at least I hear that the blind spots pale in comparison.

Just thought of another question, does the PDR already have a memory card in it, or do I need to bring my own?
The tires are OK to drive in cold weather. They will lose some grip just like all tires do. As long as you take it easy with the throttle and the clutch you should be fine driving on them. No need to switch to All Season tires. If you have been driving on ice/snow for a lot of years you should know how to drive as tire grip goes away. Not a big deal. In ice and snow they won't do very well and you may spend a fair amount of time sitting around spinning your tires. They will do fine in wet weather as long as you drive appropriately.

I have a relative that lives just north of Detroit and he drives his 14 Z51 all year round with these tires. He doesn't take it out in the snow/ice but he does drive in cold weather, rain and hot weather. He has 16K miles on the tires and is thinking its time to start looking for replacements.

One way to avoid issues as the grip reduces is to put the car in Weather Mode. That will restrict throttle application and smooth out your inputs. Make sure you take the Ron Fellows school as soon as possible. I didn't wait to get a letter from GM. I called the school gave them my VIN and scheduled the school. I am an HPDE Instructor and I learned a lot at the school. They show you how the car works and what the various modes do and let you try and spin the car out on a wet skid pad with Weather Mode active. It is hard to spin out.

You will need to get an pre formatted 32 GB FAT 32 SD card. If you go over 32 GB the formatting will be wrong.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Kelsvet (02-19-2017), thill444 (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:32 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I would NOT listen to anyone telling you its OK to use the stock summer only tires..
The OWNERS MANUAL CLEARLY states that is is UNSAFE & NOT RECOMMENDED to use the stock tires in cold weather under 40 degrees..

Michigan? Without doubt, get some all seasons, run flats or non run flats, but GET THEM so you can drive in cold dry weather..

Its soooo irresponsible for ANYONE here to say its OK, just take it easy, with summer tires in cold weather... Disgusting advice..!

Pay attention, if the mfgr says is not advisable, then its NOT!
The following 2 users liked this post by YO-EL:
Italianfox (02-27-2017), Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM
ChucksGrnH
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the roads in western Michigan are in better shape than in eastern Michigan, but I travel to the Detroit area about 3 times a year for business in my suburban(mostly in late Winter/early Spring), and I've seen potholes that would swallow my suburban whole. I would be much more concerned about bending my rims in the winter on a pothole than what type of tires were on my car. I personally think it is irresponsible to drive on summer tires below their recommended temperature, and I would not make a practice of doing it, but at the same time if you have to get somewhere, and it is in the thirties, you will be okay if you use common sense. My bet is that the first time you experience your tires in the low forties, you will have no desire to push it any further.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I got the Michelin AS3+ for my Z51. Living in CT, I feel much more comfortable driving in cold temps and, as long as you're not tracking the car, you won't miss the additional PSS grip in daily driving.
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Have a thousand billion questions. Mostly about tires.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

All season tires are kinda the master of nothing. If you really want to drive the car in the winter get a true winter tire. In the summer the PSS offer better handling, braking, less grooving, better traction, and better performance in wet weather than all season tires. Buying a Z51 and running all season tires on it year round seems counterproductive.

The PSS tires do fine in the 40's and above in Weather mode, below that for extensive driving get a decent winter wheel/tire combo (go smaller).
Kelsvet (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Kelsvet
Advanced

Just to clarify, I am not going to be driving the car in the Winter, it will be stored. I was curious what the limitations for cold were on the run flat tires. So what I am gathering is that low 40's is okay in Weather mode, with no hot rodding.

Below 40 degrees is a no no. I can live with this, and if I find out I am missing out driving on days that are sunny but cold, maybe I will get the all weather tires. Not sure about that yet. I am not going to be tracking the car, that I know of.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:18 PM
TOMZE
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

In snow, dedicated winter tires rock, but they wear very poorly in temps above 40F. An All Season tire will allow you to drive in light snow, in temperatures below 40F, AND will wear decently in all temperatures. It's a compromise, but an attractive one to many.

Quick Reply: Have a thousand billion questions. Mostly about tires.