Stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Stuck in park

Hi all.

My guys 2016 stuck in park the other day. He had to turn the engine off and restart the car to get it out of park.

Has anyone had this issue?

Katie
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Katie22
Hi all.

My guys 2016 stuck in park the other day. He had to turn the engine off and restart the car to get it out of park.

Has anyone had this issue?

Katie
You car probably drifted in park putting a load on the system that locks the car's motion. When you restarted the car shifted slightly releasing the load. It is an automatic transmission thing that happens from time to time.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

You can keep that from happening by engaging the parking brake before you put the shifter in Park.

There are other possible causes such as not applying the brakes hard enough before trying to shift out of Park, or a problem with the switch circuit that activates the solenoid on the shifter when you apply the brakes.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 PM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

My procedure is: start in park then shift to neutral then release park brake then shift into gear.
Then for shutdown, in gear shift to neutral then set park brake then shift into park then shutdown.
Needless to say during both the above procedures your foot should be on the foot brake until complete.
This keeps any rolling load due to unlevel park location off of the tranny and on the brakes and will eliminate the hard to shift from park problem.
VH
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=VH Vette;1594138868]My procedure is: start in park then shift to neutral then release park brake then shift into gear.
Then for shutdown, in gear shift to neutral then set park brake then shift into park then shutdown.
Needless to say during both the above procedures your foot should be on the foot brake until complete.
This keeps any rolling load due to unlevel park location off of the tranny and on the brakes and will eliminate the hard to shift from park problem.
VH[/QUOTE

Do you seriously do this? I thought I was OCD 😀
Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd suggest changing VH's procedure a little. Take your foot off the brake pedal after you set the parking brake to let the load transfer from the regular brakes to the PB. The car may move a little when you do this, depending on the incline. Then shift into Park.

The parking brake is a drum and shoe arrangement, and a slight rotation of the drum is needed to get maximum braking. That can sometimes be enough to put quite a load on the parking pawl in the transmission.

And, yes, I follow the procedure every time I park on an incline, even a slight one.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

[QUOTE=DogTag-C7R;1594140091]
Originally Posted by VH Vette
My procedure is: start in park then shift to neutral then release park brake then shift into gear.
VH[/QUOTE

I do the same. I don't care to have the car resting on the paw in the transmission either.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM
VH Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
I'd suggest changing VH's procedure a little. Take your foot off the brake pedal after you set the parking brake to let the load transfer from the regular brakes to the PB. The car may move a little when you do this, depending on the incline. Then shift into Park.

The parking brake is a drum and shoe arrangement, and a slight rotation of the drum is needed to get maximum braking. That can sometimes be enough to put quite a load on the parking pawl in the transmission.

And, yes, I follow the procedure every time I park on an incline, even a slight one.
Now that you mention it, I agree with your change. The scary part is I have been doing this so long I cannot remember if I take my foot off the brake or not at the point you suggest. I will watch what I am doing next time.
VH
Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 AM
VH Vette
Racer

[QUOTE=DogTag-C7R;1594140091]
Originally Posted by VH Vette
VH[/QUOTE

Dog, I am not sure it is OCD or 35 years in the airline industry with procedures, checklists and someone 2 inches behind you ready to chew your *** out when you don't.
Yes, seriously I do this.
VH

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in park

Quick Reply: Stuck in park