Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear bra, ceramic coat, or both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 PM
brandon.rush1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Clear bra, ceramic coat, or both?

So I'm getting ready to drop a big chunk of change next week on a professional detail. I'm looking for opinions/advice on what to get done. I originally thought I wanted a clear bra, but think it may look out of place. My car is only a weekend driver so it might be too much. I was also torn between getting a Gtechniq ceramic coating on the paint/wheels. If anyone has had any experiences with any of these, please let me know!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^^^ The clear bra will be almost unnoticeable, 99% of people looking at your car won't even know its there

the only issue is... you will be the only one to see it, and yes I can understand how bothersome that is, lol

But a clear bra is a great choice to protect your car, but if its just a weekend driver you probably don't even need it, unless you don't mind spending the money

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-20-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
The following users liked this post:
brandon.rush1 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:20 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I do both. Clear the front through the fenders and hood. Then I coat the remainder of the car. Even the aero parts on the nose. Love it.
brandon.rush1 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Enjoy your Vette you can always use drcolorchip to repair any stone chips. Clearbra is definitely noticeable, costly, and prone to damage as well.
People that have it installed swear by it but that is to be expected after what they spent on it.
As for ceramic coatings they are the latest and not a bad option. I prefer good old wax or a sealant, applied every few months.

Last edited by dvilin; 02-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
brandon.rush1 (02-21-2017), Chazzmania (02-25-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
Contrarian
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember someone saying a while ago that the paint underneath ages different than the rest of the exposed car. So when you inevitably remove the bra (which, if you don't, what's the point?) the paint will look different.

Me, I'd save the money, put it in the 'new corvette fund' for down the line. I don't know about the other guys/gals, but this used car buyer is not intending to pay more if someone chose to install it on the vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Contrarian:
brandon.rush1 (02-21-2017), Gonzo (02-25-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I am not a fan of the PPF's, contrary to what people say I have always been able to tell when it is on a car. It's a car not a museum piece. I don't put plastic on my couches at home either, and they see a lot more use/wear than my Vette.

I am a fan of the new nanocoatings. They seal the paint up very well, last far longer than wax or other sealants. They are very easy to apply yourself. If you have any experience detailing a vehicle you can easily do the ceramic coating yourself. I had my Vette done a couple months ago by a high end detail shop, it was $750 and that was without paint correction as the car was new and showroom kept before purchase, paint was excellent. I wanted to do my other car myself rather than spending another chunk of change. Same detailer quoted 1500 as the paint needed "correction" according to him. It did not, it was swirled from washing but that was about it. Used a clay towel, polished with my Orbital buffer, used Eraser to take off any remaining oil left from the polish, and applied the "ceramic coating". It came out really, really well, cost me about $110 for all the products. The time on the other hand.......13 hours.

Last edited by LimeRay; 02-20-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:12 AM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Enjoy your Vette you can always use drcolorchip to repair any stone chips. Clearbra is definitely noticeable, costly, and prone to damage as well.
People that have it installed swear by it but that is to be expected after what they spent on it.
As for ceramic coatings they are the latest and not a bad option. I prefer good old wax or a sealant, applied every few months.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 AM
brandon.rush1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I am not a fan of the PPF's, contrary to what people say I have always been able to tell when it is on a car. It's a car not a museum piece. I don't put plastic on my couches at home either, and they see a lot more use/wear than my Vette.

I am a fan of the new nanocoatings. They seal the paint up very well, last far longer than wax or other sealants. They are very easy to apply yourself. If you have any experience detailing a vehicle you can easily do the ceramic coating yourself. I had my Vette done a couple months ago by a high end detail shop, it was $750 and that was without paint correction as the car was new and showroom kept before purchase, paint was excellent. I wanted to do my other car myself rather than spending another chunk of change. Same detailer quoted 1500 as the paint needed "correction" according to him. It did not, it was swirled from washing but that was about it. Used a clay towel, polished with my Orbital buffer, used Eraser to take off any remaining oil left from the polish, and applied the "ceramic coating". It came out really, really well, cost me about $110 for all the products. The time on the other hand.......13 hours.

This is kind of the way I'm leaning. Thanks
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

I gave up a weekend, and did my own ceramic coating, couldn't be happier.
The following 2 users liked this post by L8ter:
brandon.rush1 (02-22-2017), Gonzo (02-25-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Jamie Parsons
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I do both. I put Suntek on the whole front of the car then use ceramic coating on the whole car including the Suntek part. It has worked great for year. My car is also pretty much just a weekend driver but one rock will pay for the Suntek coating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie Parsons:
brandon.rush1 (02-22-2017), Zap City (02-24-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM
KGS365
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 182 Posts

Default what did you use for ceramic?

Originally Posted by L8ter
I gave up a weekend, and did my own ceramic coating, couldn't be happier.
what did you use
brandon.rush1 (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a track car that was sandblasted after a few years. When I got my next car, the first thing I did was xpel. After about 6 years it began to yellow (it was an earlier version. the new stuff is guaranteed not to yellow for 10 years). During the time that it was on, my car got pounded by stones, track debris. I even went through a few windshields. So, when the yellowed xpel was removed for the replacement film, I got a look at the paint. It was absolutely like new. Needless to say, my GS got a full treatment. It is virtually invisible, and I don't worry about the sound of small stones.

Last edited by Koan; 02-22-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: speeling
The following 3 users liked this post by Koan:
brandon.rush1 (02-22-2017), Foosh (02-22-2017), Rebel Yell (04-16-2018)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:02 PM
eamespm
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I decided to go with Ceramic Pro 9H on my new GS and will have it done by a professional detailer in my area next week. I'm also having the wheels/barrels done as well.
brandon.rush1 (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 PM
brandon.rush1
Instructor

Originally Posted by eamespm
I decided to go with Ceramic Pro 9H on my new GS and will have it done by a professional detailer in my area next week. I'm also having the wheels/barrels done as well.
I think I'm gonna pass on the clear bra and do the new modesta coating. My detail guy talked me into doing that along with modesta wheel protection.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 PM
GoNDeep11
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Contrarian
I seem to remember someone saying a while ago that the paint underneath ages different than the rest of the exposed car. So when you inevitably remove the bra (which, if you don't, what's the point?) the paint will look different.

Me, I'd save the money, put it in the 'new corvette fund' for down the line. I don't know about the other guys/gals, but this used car buyer is not intending to pay more if someone chose to install it on the vehicle.
This was true with the original technology, 5-9 years ago. The new design allows UV light to pass thru to your paint vs blocking UV rays. This is why old clear bra turned yellow, it was designed to absorb the harmful light.

I just did my front end and it's almost invisible, I did the headlights as well. You want to get a quality film, I'm a little Biased since this is what I do for a living work for (3M) .... The pro series is amazing, self healing... I can take a wire brush and scratch up the bra and a little heat from the engine or a cup of hot water and it looks 100% new.

And this used car buyer will pay more for a vehicle that doesn't look like Swiss cheese and the owner took the care to protect it....trust me it's a wise choice...
I'll see if I can post some photos tonight...

Remember, you'll never forget your first chip!

Pete

Last edited by GoNDeep11; 02-22-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Typo
orca1946 (04-16-2018)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by KGS365
what did you use
Wolfgang Ceramic Coating, recommended by a fellow at AutoGeeks.
Told him I wanted something easy to work with. Same product can be used on paint, wheels, plastics, and glass.
After the prep work, and taking on a section at a time, all you have to do is put it on one way, wait a minute, smooth it out the other way, wait a minute more, and buff it out. Easy as pie.
Almost 9 months out, and the results so far are good.
I live down a long dirt road, and do a more involved washing every several weeks, but for the most part, I hit it with a hose, and a leaf blower.
I'm Done!
KGS365 (02-22-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Chazzmania
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

A lot of people have their own preference when it comes to protecting your car. If you plan on keeping the car for awhile applying a clear bra isn't a bad choice. Just make sure the installer has experience working on C7's. I had XPEL Ultimate added to my C7 Z51 then had the whole car coated with ceramic coating. I love the ceramic coating makes washing the car super easy. I just have the front end of my car cover to include the side mirrors and headlights. I also just ordered Dr. Color Chip which is a great product to touch up small chips. My car is Artic White.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear bra, ceramic coat, or both?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Got my first stone chip last week. Corvette only comes out garage on clear day once or twice a week. Usually try to stay back from rear wheel drive vehicles more likely to throw a road stone but got to close to pick up truck. Not real bad but first flaw on paint. After the fact checked out a local company for clear bra. They wanted $400 for the clear bra and $1700 to do the total front and sides. All things considered I will live with the chip and use GM touch up paint to diminish the flaw and try to stay away from higher risk road situations.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:09 PM
GoNDeep11
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Chip

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Got my first stone chip last week. Corvette only comes out garage on clear day once or twice a week. Usually try to stay back from rear wheel drive vehicles more likely to throw a road stone but got to close to pick up truck. Not real bad but first flaw on paint. After the fact checked out a local company for clear bra. They wanted $400 for the clear bra and $1700 to do the total front and sides. All things considered I will live with the chip and use GM touch up paint to diminish the flaw and try to stay away from higher risk road situations.
Sorry about your chip, There is usually no need to do more than the Front Leading Edge "usually cut on a 24" Roll, giving you significant coverage up the hood, fenders and Full Front Bumper... Typically that should cost you about 650, well worth the piece of mind in my opinion... If you want to PM me where you live I can reach out to some contacts and try to get you a deal... Either way, sorry about the Blemish
Old 05-21-2017, 09:43 AM
2016c7fl
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Brandon I just had mine professionally detailed and coated with Gtechniq Chrystal Serum Ceramic and could not be happier. Detailer is in Orlando, I live in Leesburg. Had to leave car there for 4 days but wow--what a great job he did.
Holler if you want more info
Dick

Quick Reply: Clear bra, ceramic coat, or both?