Sponsored by:

Mismatched paint on front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 AM
scottkwilson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mismatched paint on front bumper cover

Hey all, the other week I started a post with this exact same title "Mismatched paint on front bumper cover", but I asked the mods to delete it (I'll get to why in a minute). The situation was that I got my car back from the dealer and noticed bodywork was done to the front bumper cover without my knowledge. It is a 2015 Stingray, bought new with 5 miles on it, and it has never been in an accident. The dealer confessed that my car experienced 'lot' damage and they 'thought I knew'. It was basically a coverup, but they were caught 'cause it was a bad body repair (mismatched paint, bondo, etc.). The car was up there for nearly three weeks for the infotainment system... and they put 100 miles on the car trying to get it to freeze up (which had been an ongoing problem). They claim the damage was done onsite at the dealer, but who knows.

In my original post I had a lot of good responses.. but I ended up removing it because someone spooked me when they said "it's not wise to put my strategy for handling this with the dealer on a public forum"... which it was not. But now I'm back with another question. In terms of depreciation, I wanted to ask the community how to go about determining the value that I've lost. The dealer has agreed to re-do the bumper (even though I do not trust it will be good based on what I've seen on their first attempt)... but if say, a true pro shop did it and you could never tell and there's no car facts... how much value am I losing from not having the factory paint?

Pics are attached of the bad bodywork. Welcome back anyone who may have responded last time.

Last edited by scottkwilson; 02-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 AM
2017_BlackRoseGS
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Man that is terrible. If it were me, they would be buying the car back at my price or I would invest in some legal advice on it. Shows that some dealers are definitely the bad apples in the bag.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-22-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
hangman
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 116 Posts

If I recall correctly, you mentioned that the bumper was damaged in a way that required bondo. If that is the case, I would demand a replacement bumper, not fixing the current bumper.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default diminished value

(different car, different circumstances, different state); my wife's '13 Prius was rear ended around Xmas (the 6th time we have been rear ended, so I've learned the hard way). If you search around there are some calculations for diminished value but in our case their insurance company cut us a (extra) check for 700 bucks based on a rough calculation of about 5 - 6% of the current book value of her Prius (13.5K X .055).

The numbers will be different but the point is now in the age of Carfax, etc. diminished value is a concept recognized and accepted by insurance companies (theirs was Pemco)...hope this helps
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I still think the headlight alignment with the panels is bad. Sorry I can't answer your question.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

No excuse for bondo - have them replace the damaged parts with new ones. If it were me and the replaced part(s) looked the way they did when I dropped the car off I would probably accept it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Minimally, they owe you a NEW bumper cover painted correctly. Best wishes!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Minimally, they owe you a NEW bumper cover painted correctly. Best wishes!

Certainly nothing less, but what really shocks me is the extra 100 miles. Completely inexcusable (and possibly illegal use) by the dealer and they must answer for this. God only knows what happened to your car on that joyride.

It sounds like you've backed way off from your previous thread as to what you would accept as a solution. Sorry to hear it.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 02-22-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 PM
davids2005ssr
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned years ago there are two kind of blacks. one is a brown black and a blue black. I had a 1995 blaser and the back door was painted at the factory or the dealership. They redid it to match.

Last edited by davids2005ssr; 02-23-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

As I said in the original thread, I would not let them try it again. They will most likely half *** it again, and tell you that's just the way it is. If they are willing to half *** a cover up, they will half *** the second job that you know about. Find another place to fix it, and have MR H cut a check to you once you get an estimate.

While MR H is cutting that check, I'd ask for at least another $2k to make up for any additional depreciation. It's not gonna be on carfax, so you probably won't lose much trading it... as long as the repair is proper. Still, a good used car manager will see the repair a mile away no matter how well it's done.

Really though, you deserve alot more than that but you won't get it without a fight. They committed fraud.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH THE CAR AGAIN. Think about what they did.. that is as underhanded as it gets and you are going to trust them to "fix" this ?
Take it to a reputable body shop, that does Vettes and knows what the owners are looking for in a professional paint job. Share with them the history and have them document what took place with pics. Finally come to terms on what you realistically will take to make it ok, be fair.
Finally let them know that you will be talking to local media consumer reporters if things cannot be worked out.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:28 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Sounds like the organization as a whole has plenty of problems.
https://www.pissedconsumer.com/rick-...olet/RT-F.html
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM
VH Vette
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a dealer wreck my Vette. They bought it. That Was a accident. This dealer is flat out dishonest. I would have my attorney speak to them about what options you want on your new C7 that they will give you (including your attorney, registration fees and taxes).
These clowns need to be brought to the attention of GM also.
Sorry if I seem over the top but this is criminal.
VH

Get notified of new replies

To Mismatched paint on front bumper cover

Quick Reply: Mismatched paint on front bumper cover