C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY carbon fiber-matching GM non-shiny finish?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts
Default DIY carbon fiber-matching GM non-shiny finish?

Hey everyone, has anyone had success trying to match GM factory "matte" dash with DIY carbon fiber skinning? Going to try to do some myself and having a hard time deciding witch to try. I'm going to try semi gloss, but i think it will still be shinier than OEM. Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:43 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

bump. Nobody's done their own CF?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Tboatman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes one member has done this But I cant think of him And it looked really good go back a few threads you find it
Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

What part are you looking to skin? I was going to try the center console, bought the material and chickened out.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tboatman
Yes one member has done this But I cant think of him And it looked really good go back a few threads you find it
I think i saw the one you're talking about (he did under hood items). They were high gloss if i remember correctly, not gm low gloss.

Originally Posted by op z
What part are you looking to skin? I was going to try the center console, bought the material and chickened out.
i'm starting off with the small black piece on the passenger grab handle. If i screw it up it's only about $65. lol
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Tboatman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a post also about doing this, I am thinking of doing all the plastic looking stuff dash console etc. I got some 3m wrap coming an some dip stuff going play around see which I like best.I will look back an see if I can find where its out
Old 03-01-2017, 03:24 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

ive done a lot of high gloss skinning, but haven't tried the low gloss yet. I have been searching the internet for the correct materials, but so far no luck
Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 AM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scottcolem
ive done a lot of high gloss skinning, but haven't tried the low gloss yet. I have been searching the internet for the correct materials, but so far no luck
So, i've been experimenting with the small piece attached to the grab handle by the center console (only about $70 if i screw it up) and i've come close, but no cigar. The closest i've come is with satin clear coat and wet sanded just a little at the end. It's spot on in color i think, but the finish is still not right. The oem dash (and the aftermarket pieces i've bought from autodynamicswest) have a texture to it that i can't comprehend. I've got the exact feel to the oem when i sanded the epoxy over the carbon fiber, but obviously you can't leave it like that, you have to coat it. iv'e looked for an epoxy top coat that has uv protection but came up empty.

going to try this a few more times to get it right before giving up.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY carbon fiber-matching GM non-shiny finish?

Quick Reply: DIY carbon fiber-matching GM non-shiny finish?