Sponsored by:

I'm screwed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Dr No
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm screwed

Put my car in storage and went to visit it yesterday. When I originally stored it, I disconnected the battery and locked the hood, doors, and trunk (I have a Vert). Tried to use the actual key in the rear lock cylinder only to find that the cylinder is loose, and I can only put the key partially into it. Even if I can fully insert the key, I am wondering if I can rotate it to pop the trunk lid.

Any helpful suggestions are welcomed.

ajn
Old 02-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Are you saying you tried to insert the key and failed to open the lock? Your post isn't to clear.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes you can leverage the key to try and pull the locking mechanism front and back to get it down a bit lower so you can turn the key and unlock. Bumper has to come off to get at it if it's not seated at all.

You could jack the car up and if you got like a jumper pack get a wire to the 12v lead on the starter and ground and should have enough voltage to open the door and trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Red Rochester (03-01-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Dr No
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Are you saying you tried to insert the key and failed to open the lock? Your post isn't to clear.
The key cylinder is loose from its mount. Because the cylinder is not seated, I cannot insert the key completely in the cylinder. My concern is, if I can fully insert it, and turn the key, will the cylinder just rotate with the key and not unlike the truck lid.

ajn
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Wondering if there's some way for you to get a grasp on the cylinder itself so you can hold it and get the key inserted fully. Even if it means temporarily supergluing something to it so you can hold it? I haven't crawled under and looked at that key slot to see what is exposed that might allow you to do that.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

What a minute! There is a key for these cars or it just vert thing? I don't beleive I got any key with my car, just the two FOBs.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

^^^ The key is built into the fob. The only keyslot on the car is the one he is trying to use, for the trunk.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
GR Jay
Racer

^^^ Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by GR Jay
What a minute! There is a key for these cars or it just vert thing? I don't beleive I got any key with my car, just the two FOBs.
lol funny guy

Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.
wow. you should have bought a prius.. i believe that is why they put manuals in the glove box, i could be wrong tho.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon) to make your reply look like this.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.
Dont blame the dealer because you decided not to read the owners manual.

Originally Posted by Dr No
The key cylinder is loose from its mount. Because the cylinder is not seated, I cannot insert the key completely in the cylinder. My concern is, if I can fully insert it, and turn the key, will the cylinder just rotate with the key and not unlike the truck lid.

ajn
Why not just try it to find out?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (middle icon) to make your reply look like this.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

That's funny, but not really necessary.

I think this thread, including the OP's comments and some of the replies, is a good wake-up call to owners to learn how your car operates and to check basic stuff like if that key works. I had a Chevy truck that developed a flat halfway between WI and NC (stuck in the boonies of KY) while I was towing my track car. You have to use a long rod to lower the spare tire down on the PU, and it wouldn't line up. I couldn't get to my spare. It kind of sucked. Oh, and Chevy roadside non-assistance wouldn't answer the phone.

----------

Anywho - to the OP: why not just turn the freakin' key in the lock? At this point, what do you have to lose? If it doesn't work, you're no worse off. Sounds like you'll be due for a tow to the Chevy dealer.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

I had this problem while trying to train a replacement FOB. You have to remove or the rear facia to fix this problem.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Zing

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-24-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Did you have a local-to-you PDI? If so, that's where you might have learned the workings of the car. If not, you're right: you need to read the manual, either online via pdf, or the real, paper manual.

To the OP, most don't know this, but that cylinder AND key are very stiff to boot---better to loosen it up and make sure it works before you need to use it. So, when you eventually get it working, stick something like WD or your fave in there, and work the key back and forth several/many times. When you first do it, it'll feel like you're going to break the key. Hopefully, you won't. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

^^^ Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.
The next important safety question is: Do you know about the emergency handles next to the seats in case you get locked inside the car?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:47 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Funny how threads get off topic, let's help the guy open his car. 12v to the starter should make the fob work. Or, fully insert key in trunk lock and turn key slightly then pull into position and open trunk.
The following 4 users liked this post by hope2:
cam30era (02-25-2017), Gonzo (02-24-2017), Skid Row Joe (02-25-2017), y2k2com (02-26-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM
GR Jay
Racer

Originally Posted by walleyejack
lol funny guy

wow. you should have bought a prius.. i believe that is why they put manuals in the glove box, i could be wrong tho.
Apparently the sarcasm didn't come through in my reply. You guys take **** way too serioiusly around here.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm screwed

Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Wire coat hanger inside door glass to pull up manual lever.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

This won't help this time but next year if you can't or don't want to leave you hood open you can take some strong mono-filament fishing line, tie it to the door opener in the trunk and thread it out the back of the car. Battery disconnected or flat, pull the line to open the door.

The following 2 users liked this post by dndrsn:
GriMacE912 (03-05-2017), the solution (02-26-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by dndrsn
This won't help this time but next year if you can't or don't want to leave you hood open you can take some strong mono-filament fishing line, tie it to the door opener in the trunk and thread it out the back of the car. Battery disconnected or flat, pull the line to open the door.
Why not just use the key in the trunk lock? After checking that it does indeed work, of course.

Quick Reply: I'm screwed