Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm screwed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I guess you missed the response that all manuals are instantly available by typing a few characters into Google.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by GR Jay
^^^ Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.
You nailed it. Read the manual!
Old 03-01-2017, 12:26 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Foosh
The key is still there. Some clearly haven't found it in the fob.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:26 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's not hard to Google 20XX C7 Owner's Manual. It's right there for nothing.
I have mine downloaded on my phone, but in this case, I doubt it would have helped much.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:43 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jschindler
It's pretty hard to read the manual if it's locked in the car.
It should be read when you get the car. At least the high points.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I have mine downloaded on my phone, but in this case, I doubt it would have helped much.
Yes, I agree.

I don't think the manual would have helped the OP at all. My comments were never directed toward him, only to the person who said it's hard to read the manual when it's locked in the car.

He knew where the emergency key was in the fob. It didn't work because the lock cylinder was dislodged, and the manual doesn't tell you how to disassemble the car to get into the trunk.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr No
The other forums to which I belong - Jeep and Genesis - do not seem to have such an abundance of azzholes.

ajn

You can try this. Remove the tag light adjacent to the lock cylinder.

You can reach the top of the lock cylinder through the hole with your middle finger, at least I can I guess because I use my middle finger a lot, applying enough pressure to insert the key. After that I don't know if you could turn the key or not, but you could try it.

The following 3 users liked this post by dndrsn:
767guy (03-01-2017), BlueFinn (03-01-2017), Foosh (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

any grease on your finger ?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 AM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

No. It's "dry"
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Based on the key assembly call your dealer
Old 03-05-2017, 11:43 AM
GriMacE912
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Wire coat hanger inside door glass to pull up manual lever.
I lost both my fobs in a total house fire Christmas Eve - attic electrical.I cannot open my Vette. My 08 is nose first in my garage in park with parking brake on. I defeated the park interlock cause I couldn't get it out of park to start it when out and about a few times. My dealer ordered my fobs but could not cut a new key - he said the key was too small for his cutter??? WTF - he sent the key to a locksmith who also had a hard time cutting it. It does fit in the keyhole above the license plate but does not turn. I'm gonna try the hope2's idea otherwise, I'm toast - unless someone has more ideas. Even when I figure out how to get in the car, it will have to be towed to the dealer to have the fobs programmed. Nice touch. This is a rural area in NE Arizona - so alternatives are few -The hood is unlocked to allow a battery tender cord to access the battery but I don't think the hood being open would help the situation.

Last edited by GriMacE912; 03-05-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr No
Put my car in storage and went to visit it yesterday. When I originally stored it, I disconnected the battery and locked the hood, doors, and trunk (I have a Vert). Tried to use the actual key in the rear lock cylinder only to find that the cylinder is loose, and I can only put the key partially into it. Even if I can fully insert the key, I am wondering if I can rotate it to pop the trunk lid.

Any helpful suggestions are welcomed.

ajn
If it were my car i would call the dealer and have them deal with it. My guess is they will cover it under warranty. I'm assuming they did the work on the spoiler.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 AM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I watched a locksmith unlock the passenger side door on a vert with a number 10 gauge wire ( with the coating) in about 20 seconds. He went in at the upper rear part of the window down to the emergency door release.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by GriMacE912
I lost both my fobs in a total house fire Christmas Eve - attic electrical.I cannot open my Vette. My 08 is nose first in my garage in park with parking brake on. I defeated the park interlock cause I couldn't get it out of park to start it when out and about a few times. My dealer ordered my fobs but could not cut a new key - he said the key was too small for his cutter??? WTF - he sent the key to a locksmith who also had a hard time cutting it. It does fit in the keyhole above the license plate but does not turn. I'm gonna try the hope2's idea otherwise, I'm toast - unless someone has more ideas. Even when I figure out how to get in the car, it will have to be towed to the dealer to have the fobs programmed. Nice touch. This is a rural area in NE Arizona - so alternatives are few -The hood is unlocked to allow a battery tender cord to access the battery but I don't think the hood being open would help the situation.
sorry to hear about the fire. hope everything works out for you, the car, that is the least of you worries i m thinking, but sounds like you have a handle on it. hard to believe the dealer can t get a key cut to work.
good luck.
The following users liked this post:
GriMacE912 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by GR Jay
^^^ Damn it! I guess I'm going to have to crack open that owners manual. This is the downside of buying from an out of state dealer. I didn't get any dealer orientation on the car. It would be nice if one of the large internet dealers made some orientation videos for us out of state customers.
I bought from and out of state dealer but picked the car up at their facility. They treated me like a king and spent over an hour walking me through the features of my new car. I felt like I was drinking from a fire hose, there's was so much to learn. The key fob was one of the first things detailed, even before I saw my car for the first time.

Tip of hat to MacMulkin!

Quick Reply: I'm screwed